Vaping....much worse than cigarettes.

Common sense would tell you putting ANYTHING foreign into your lungs is NOT a good idea. I don’t need scientific studies to tell me that. Problem is people don’t have common sense and teens especially like to be part of what is perceived to be the “cool” crowd to fit in.

I wish they would just take them off the market for good. But then again, I wish they would take cigarettes and marijuana away too, but that ain’t happening either.

I wish they would just take them off the market for good. But then again, I wish they would take cigarettes and marijuana away too, but that ain’t happening either.

Marijuana should not be taken off the market. It has greatly improved the lives of many people suffering the effects of chemotherapy or people that deal with depression and/or stress.

My pain doctor encouraged me to try it for my chronic pain. I tried for 7 months and honestly it didn't do anything to quiet down the pain but it did make me feel relaxed. I ended up letting the house go and stopped eating well. It could be attributed to that or who knows. I stopped and feel the fog has lifted in my head. I do think there is a definite place for it. It can be life changing for some. It just wasn't for me.

It's the tobacco company behind the panic. They've lost billions due to vaping.

Mark my words - When the ban is lifted (at least in Massachusetts), the end result will be that the cause of the sickness was Vitamin E Acetane in illicit THC cartridges. As a result, taxes will increase on cartridges purchased legally at dispensaries in order to "cover the cost of stricter regulations".

Again - The problem is not vaping. The problem is the ingredients in certain cartridges.
Yup, increase taxes and the cost of legitimate ones in legal states will surely solve the issue with the fake black market ones in illegal states (and legal states that drove the cost higher than the black market.)

I think there are proven benefits to marijuana for medical use, and I would support is use for those it benefits. However I would never support the use of vaping those products for the simple fact that the chemicals and oils contained therein should never be mixed with fragile lung tissue.

I think many people are underestimating how horrible it is to damage or destroy lung tissue. Would you hold your hand in a fire? Or pour acid on your skin? I highly doubt it! Lung tissue can’t be seen, and there likely isn’t a lot of pain involved, therefore people can’t realize the damage they’re doing when vaping. And once they destroy it, there’s no going back. Even if damage is survivable and you’re not one of the deaths, there will likely be lifelong problems from damaged tissue. Why anyone would subject themselves to that, I have no idea.

Perhaps what people need to see and/or experience is the reality of the medical catastrophe such an illness entails, for real (not that I would wish it on anyone but I’m talking either actual footage of being at the bedside of someone experiencing this; until then, most will be in denial about it).

Last edited:
OP, thanks for calling attention to this matter as a respiratory therapist. I’m sure you’ve witnessed a lot of things first hand.

I have not witnessed any vaper flipping their used vape butts out the windows of moving automobiles, so there is that. I and the forests are thankful.:)

I'm guessing that is supposed to be an insult, though I don't see why. It's kind of common knowledge (and has been since this all started) that the cause of these issues is the illegal THC cartridges being sold on the street. Are you denying that?

Common knowledge is often common wishful thinking or common arrogance in disguise. 2/3 of the cases involve THC. So. Though THC might be aggravating things or one root cause of several, it isn't the only root cause because 1/3 of the cases didn't involve it.

Common knowledge is often common wishful thinking or common arrogance in disguise. 2/3 of the cases involve THC. So. Though THC might be aggravating things or one root cause of several, it isn't the only root cause because 1/3 of the cases didn't involve it.

Actually, 76% of the cases have been confirmed to be THC related. That's 3/4. The rest are up in the air at this point. 2 possible scenarios:

1. Teens being afraid to confess that they are vaping weed.
2. Illicit cartridges containing nicotine. This is unlikely as they have been around for about a decade without a single reported incident.

Number 2 is also highly unlikely because the issue is the Vitamin E Acetate street sellers are using to dilute the THC liquid out. It is a cheap alternative to make the liquid capable of being vaped.

How many people die in car crashes every day yet people still get in cars. Think of how tiny the percentage of people who have died versus how many people vape? It's like .001 percent. Not defending it. I stopped using cartridges myself, but when you're dealing with such low overall numbers, you're just not going to convince some people to stop.

The CDC is providing info as they learn more. Right now, vaping illness is growing exponentially. It’s only a matter of time before the numbers become meaningful.

It’s like the pain killer crisis going on right now. It was a good decade in the making.

Folks don’t change until they’re kicked pretty damn hard.

The CDC is providing info as they learn more. Right now, vaping illness is growing exponentially. It’s only a matter of time before the numbers become meaningful.

It’s like the pain killer crisis going on right now. It was a good decade in the making.

Folks don’t change until they’re kicked pretty damn hard.

Right, but it's growing and will get worse as more states ban legal sales pushing people to street sellers. Honestly, I'm not trying to argue the issue. I can't really think of a good analogy but here goes: If you stand outside and drink water from a hose, you're going to be fine. If you jump into a pool and drink water, you're going to get sick. It's not the act of drinking water, it's what's in the water that makes you sick. It's not the act of vaping causing these illnesses. It's what's in the cartridges making people sick.

Actually, 76% of the cases have been confirmed to be THC related. That's 3/4. The rest are up in the air at this point. 2 possible scenarios:

2. Illicit cartridges containing nicotine. This is unlikely as they have been around for about a decade without a single reported incident.

Number 2 is also highly unlikely because the issue is the Vitamin E Acetate street sellers are using to dilute the THC liquid out. It is a cheap alternative to make the liquid capable of being vaped.

That still leaves you with 1/4 of the cases where THC is not shown to be involved. Can't very well claim THC is the only thing involved when it isn't involved in 1/4 of the cases. And you can't just assume everyone is lying either. That's flat out shoddy reasoning and no serious researcher would ever make such an assumption.

That still leaves you with 1/4 of the cases where THC is not shown to be involved. Can't very well claim THC is the only thing involved when it isn't involved in 1/4 of the cases. And you can't just assume everyone is lying either. That's flat out shoddy reasoning and no serious researcher would ever make such an assumption.

Not quite sure where to start.

- There isn't a shred of evidence that says THC wasn't involved in those other cases. Only that of all the cases reported, 76% said they were "illicit" cartridges containing THC. Which leads to the next point...

- It's not ALL cartridges containing THC that are the problem. It's cartridges containing other ingredients, in every case solved so far, Vitamin E Acetate being that ingredient. Further, the only cartridges they have discovered this in are illicit cartridges, i.e. cartridges not sold at registered dispensaries.

There are no assumptions being made. These are all known facts.

Not quite sure where to start.

- There isn't a shred of evidence that says THC wasn't involved in those other cases. Only that of all the cases reported, 76% said they were "illicit" cartridges containing THC. Which leads to the next point...

- It's not ALL cartridges containing THC that are the problem. It's cartridges containing other ingredients, in every case solved so far, Vitamin E Acetate being that ingredient. Further, the only cartridges they have discovered this in are illicit cartridges, i.e. cartridges not sold at registered dispensaries.

There are no assumptions being made. These are all known facts.
You most certainly implied the results of those cases not found to be THC related were teens lying about it.

rest are up in the air at this point. 2 possible scenarios:

See number 1 up there. That's an assumption and not in evidence. And you casually dismissed #2, again without actual evidence.

Who am I going to believe. An MD and researchers at the CDC? Or some random disser? who is on record in this thread with a conspiracy theory.

It's the tobacco company behind the panic. They've lost billions due to vaping.
Never mind that tobacco companies are heavily invested and involved in vaping. THEY don't want you vaping. Yeah right.

I think I'll go with the MDs on this one.

Last edited:
You most certainly implied the results of those cases not found to be THC related were teens lying about it.

rest are up in the air at this point. 2 possible scenarios:

See number 1 up there. That's an assumption and not in evidence. And you casually dismissed #2, again without actual evidence.

Who am I going to believe. An MD and researchers at the CDC? Or some random disser? who is on record in this thread with a conspiracy theory.

Never mind that tobacco companies are heavily invested and involved in vaping. THEY don't want you vaping. Yeah right.

I think I'll go with the MDs on this one.

You're not getting it. The ONLY thing that has been proven so far is that in 76% of the reported cases, those people admitted to vaping cartridges with THC. That's it. Nobody knows what the story is with the rest because it either hasn't been reported or the reported cases claimed they were not vaping THC. If I were a 16 year old, I sure as heck wouldn't want my parents to know I was doing something illegal. So, could it be nicotine? Sure. It could also be flavored cartridges. If that is the case then, why is it that now, after 10 years, is it popping up out of nowhere? What has changed with vaping over the past 18 months? The answer is, unregulated THC cartridges being sold on the street. It's not advanced algebra here.

As for the CDC, not sure why you would use them to try and prove your point. So far, all they have said is until we find out the issue, don't vape. That's standard protocol. As for any MD's, there are just as many to say vaping is 95% safer than smoking.

If you think the tobacco companies aren't losing money, you clearly have never purchased an e-cigarette and/or a pack of cigarettes.

These guys are well known in the industry for providing actual facts and real information, not just scare tactics being used by social media.

Last edited:

Never try to argue with someone convinced that they're right and everyone else is wrong. It's like yelling at a brick wall.

Never try to argue with someone convinced that they're right and everyone else is wrong. It's like yelling at a brick wall.

It's not a right versus wrong issue. It's facts versus assumptions. I'm not for or against vaping. I'm just not buying into the media scare tactics when to this point, all evidence points to one culprit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter