Using Canadian Disney Gift Cards

you lock in the currency conversion rate when you consolidate your cards on disneygiftcards.com, the same day you buy the GCs if you want. I'm pretty sure this is what everyone is doing?
No, the rate floats, it does not lock in.

ETA--unless you are thinking that you can transfer the Canadian Card balance to a US card which can no longer be done. That stopped a while ago.

Last edited:
I've been buying the cards and putting them as payment towards my package, so I get the benefit of the fluctuating rates (some days my cards are worth more than others) plus I don't have to pay additional fees like if I were to buy USD. I will buy some and have some cash for at the parks, I'm using the cards to pay everything off in advance (have a package with dining plan). the only thing I will need to spend at Disney is souvies and two sit down meals that are not covered by the dining plan. I think everyone is different in how they plan, this allows me to pay it off as I go along and not put it on my credit card where it will cost me more.

I've been buying the cards and putting them as payment towards my package, so I get the benefit of the fluctuating rates (some days my cards are worth more than others) plus I don't have to pay additional fees like if I were to buy USD. I will buy some and have some cash for at the parks, I'm using the cards to pay everything off in advance (have a package with dining plan). the only thing I will need to spend at Disney is souvies and two sit down meals that are not covered by the dining plan. I think everyone is different in how they plan, this allows me to pay it off as I go along and not put it on my credit card where it will cost me more.
That's dollar cost averaging and a very smart move. Its when people purchase them and put them aside for 'later' that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
But you are so correct, everyone is different and if putting cards aside works for some than that is what is best for them. There are lots of differing ideas and dollar cost averaging is only one.

the Canadian Card balance to a US card which can no longer be done. That stopped a while ago.

Im not sure if its a US card, but the balance was in US dollars after I consolidated them on DGCs.com. This was is January, have the rules changed since then?

Im not sure if its a US card, but the balance was in US dollars after I consolidated them on DGCs.com. This was is January, have the rules changed since then?
Once you consolidate them you will see the balance as US however that US amount can change day to day. So, today you may see $84.32 US but tomorrow you may see $84.27. The amount will change daily depending if the exchange rate changes. The rate is not locked in and will float until you use the card.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter