Upset over Universal policy

Baileymouse

<font color=teal>Has now been touched by the Tag F
I recently booked a Nov. trip to Universal. We have rooms at the Royal Pacific. Only problem? My cousin and her husband work for Universal and they said that if we stay on site they can't be seen with us! If we stay off-site they can go to the parks with us, but if we stay on-site they are not allowed to "fraternize with the guests." When I first booked my cousin didn't work there but her husband already did. She found all this out in orientation - don't know why he didn't tell her.

All I've been hearing about for months is how great the hotels are, how beautiful, and how much fun we'd have. So I go and book and now I have to give it up. Anyone out there know if Universal is likely to give a dispensation for family? I'm not staying in the Hotel my cousin's husband works for, and my cousin doesn't work on-site. This stinks!
I understand the policy - no fraternization so that other guests don't get upset, and no special privileges, but I wasn't looking for that. I just wanted to stay on-site so I could have an easy time going to the parks and I would have a chance to enjoy the ambiance.

The hotels are operated by Loews, not Universal. I am not familiar with Loews policies other than the employees cannot stay at a hotel they work at. Universal employees can go with relatives (and are encouraged to do so) to the theme parks.

Good point and I stand corrected - it is a Loews policy. It still stinks for me, though.

So are you saying that if you stay offsite you can be seen in the parks with your relatives, but if you stay onsite, you can't? What difference does it make where you sleep at night? That seems to have nothing to do with being seen together in the parks. I am confused.

Besides, unless you have the same last name and they can make the family connection, how would they ever know the difference?

I would keep my plans and stay onsite. It is your vacation and your the one paying for the hotel. I can't believe they would want you to take your business elsewhere. If your staying at RP and the relative does not work there and the other relative works off site then I don't see what the problem with it is. Is someone from going to follow all their employees around to keep an eye on them. Stick with your plans. It is "your " trip. Enjoy!!

PS: Are you sure they can't be seen with you only when they are in their work outfits? Maybe that could be it because how would anyone know they were an employee otherwise.

I'd bet the policy is probably while the employee is on duty or in uniform (or costume). Keep your plans. Who's going to know the difference anyhow. Have fun!

KarenT

I have a good friend that works at one of the Universal resorts, when we stay there she asks her manager for special permission to go to the pool with us, but she can't dine at the restaurants with us. We do however, go to the other resort. So you can probably go to dinner at HRH or PBH with your cousin. I personally don't agree with this rule, as long as they are off & out of uniform who cares?

To my understanding there's no rule against being seen with your family members at work. The thing is that if you are "on the clock" then you can't be seen together. If its their day off from work, and they choose to attend the parks with family, then it's not problem whatsoever, in fact if you have nice supervisors you can ask them to write you a VIP pass so that you can make full use of the parks EXPRESS lines.

I don't get it. Is someone really going to tell on you if you are eating at a restaurant, staying at a hotel, or in the park with your family on a day that you are not working?

Originally posted by ucfdude01
To my understanding there's no rule against being seen with your family members at work. The thing is that if you are "on the clock" then you can't be seen together. If its their day off from work, and they choose to attend the parks with family, then it's not problem whatsoever, in fact if you have nice supervisors you can ask them to write you a VIP pass so that you can make full use of the parks EXPRESS lines.

I don't think anyone ever said they couldn't go to the parks together! But they can't stay at, or eat at, or drink at the resort they work at.

I double checked with my cousin and her husband and here's the deal: Universal is much more relaxed with their policy. Loews Hotels doesn't want their employees fraternizing with guests. They aren't allowed on Hotel property at all when they aren't working. They are also not allowed to accompany hotel guests to the parks. If they worked for Universal it wouldn't be a problem - it's because they work for Loews. It's frustrating, to say the least. They can go to the parks with us if we stay off site. It wasn't an issue last time I visited because my family stayed at OKW in Disney.

I thank you for your responses, though. I just needed to vent.

As far as the park rule, how on earth would they ever know if you wre in the parks with your cousin! My GF has been to the parks almost every trip with us and we have always stayed on site. i wouldn't worry about it & I'd still stay on site.

I still think something isn't being communicated properly here. Lowes ownes the hotels, Universal owns the parks. Lowes cannot tell an employee where they can't and can't go when they are not working with the exception of not letting them be at their place of employement.

I would just go and have a good time. The chances of someone identifying you as a hotel guest and your cousin as an employee of the hotel are about .0000000000000001%.

CPM,

I think the original poster was the one who said something about not being able to go to the parks together. The wording looks pretty confusing and could be seen that way.....please notice the second sentence............

Originally posted by Baileymouse
My cousin and her husband work for Universal and they said that if we stay on site they can't be seen with us! If we stay off-site they can go to the parks with us, but if we stay on-site they are not allowed to "fraternize with the guests."

I wouldn't bet that they can't say it, because they do. I know it seems crazy, but it's meant to discourage off duty employees getting special perks for friends and relatives. You know, those " why are those people getting in front of us" people. Personally, going with someone should not be the issue, just not taking advantage of your "connections" at the expense of other guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter