Upgrading to Gold AP with ticket used during block-out days

So the statement about next year's black out dates are very different from this year has no basis, or inside info? Thanks for the reply.

The information on the DVC website showed nothing blacked out for Dec 2020, which would have been much different. However, the DVC website is wrong. It is possible that was what was seen.

The information on the DVC website showed nothing blacked out for Dec 2020, which would have been much different. However, the DVC website is wrong. It is possible that was what was seen.
Oh, so disney junky in post #8 was referring to last year and this year, rather than this year and next year? So no one has access to next year's black out dates yet?
Thank you for clarifying.

Oh, so disney junky in post #8 was referring to last year and this year, rather than this year and next year? So no one has access to next year's black out dates yet?
No one has access to December 2021 yet. Usually those are released only 12 months in advance (that’s the minimum required so when an AP is sold the purchaser has full information on the product).

I am assuming that is what was meant,,,that 2020 was different from 2019..but turns out, it is not!

Only dates for 2021 out now are January 1 and 2 which are blacked out.

I am a little confused. I plan on buying Gold Passes for my family (4). We are going to WDW from 7/20-7/31 this year and are also going next summer. If I buy 10 day park hoppers, use them until 7/30, and then on 7/30, upgrade to a Gold Pass, does my Gold Pass expire from the first day of the 10 day hopper (7/21) or the day I make the upgrade? It doesn't make that much of a difference to me, but it would be nice to have the extra 10 days flexibility in planning next year's trip.

I am a little confused. I plan on buying Gold Passes for my family (4). We are going to WDW from 7/20-7/31 this year and are also going next summer. If I buy 10 day park hoppers, use them until 7/30, and then on 7/30, upgrade to a Gold Pass, does my Gold Pass expire from the first day of the 10 day hopper (7/21) or the day I make the upgrade? It doesn't make that much of a difference to me, but it would be nice to have the extra 10 days flexibility in planning next year's trip.
This thread was more about using tickets during the blackout dates of the Gold AP and then upgrading (thus getting around the Gold AP's blackout). When you upgrade a ticket to an AP your expiration will always be backdated to the first date of usage of the ticket utilized in the upgrade. So if your first trip you intend for the AP isn't during the Gold AP's blackout window there isn't really too much of a reason to purchase tickets then upgrade onsite (save a few dollars that you may get with ticket bridging, if the ticket CM will allow it).

This thread was more about using tickets during the blackout dates of the Gold AP and then upgrading (thus getting around the Gold AP's blackout). When you upgrade a ticket to an AP your expiration will always be backdated to the first date of usage of the ticket utilized in the upgrade. So if your first trip you intend for the AP isn't during the Gold AP's blackout window there isn't really too much of a reason to purchase tickets then upgrade onsite (save a few dollars that you may get with ticket bridging, if the ticket CM will allow it).

Just an FYI, the CM at Epcot told me they now also price bridge tickets since many people were going in and out anyway.

I know this has been alluded to in several posts here and there, but I want to confirm that this still works.

If we are traveling during the block-out period in December 2020, can we buy an 'x'-day ticket (say a 10-day), then on our last day upgrade it to a Gold AP?

If so, what exactly does "last day" mean? I assume I'd have to do it from outside the parks, and we won't be able to get back in until the block-out period ends. So we would need to do it AFTER leaving the parks for the last time, but before the ticket itself expires (i.e. not the morning after we've used up all the days).

Or have they cut this out? Frankly, I can't believe it ever worked.
I just did this a couple of weeks ago. Had a 9 day park hopper using it Christmas week. With 1 day left on ticket stopped at service desk on way out of park (epcot) upgraded to DVC gold pass for $50.00. I did buy get an extra day to make sure I was upgrading with 1 day left. That was a nominal charge and I’m not sure I needed to do that.

OP here. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this. Assuming Gold APs come back sometime over the next several months, do you think we would still be able to upgrade regular tickets used on block-out days to Gold APs on the final day of our trip?

We have 4-day hoppers purchased for Dec. 2021 block-out days.

We are considering planning trips for April 2022 (not the block-out period) and November 2022. Ideally we would upgrade the 4-day tickets to Gold APs on our last day.

But if we can't do that, it probably makes sense to try to get Platinum APs now. We had APs that were extended and expired in November 2020. My understanding is we may be eligible to purchase APs now? I could be wrong about that.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of the Gold AP upgrade from regular tickets coming back?

NOTE: Resurrecting a thread that has not seen a reply since January 2020.

I am hoping that this strategy still works! We’re visiting 12/29 -1/7. I am planning to buy 8 day park hoppers and would love to upgrade them to Gold APs after the blackout period - probably on 1/3. I usually buy tickets from an authorized reseller, so if I’m lucky we’ll save a few dollars and the cost to upgrade would be minimal.

OP here. Wondering what people's thoughts are on this. Assuming Gold APs come back sometime over the next several months, do you think we would still be able to upgrade regular tickets used on block-out days to Gold APs on the final day of our trip?

We have 4-day hoppers purchased for Dec. 2021 block-out days.

We are considering planning trips for April 2022 (not the block-out period) and November 2022. Ideally we would upgrade the 4-day tickets to Gold APs on our last day.

But if we can't do that, it probably makes sense to try to get Platinum APs now. We had APs that were extended and expired in November 2020. My understanding is we may be eligible to purchase APs now? I could be wrong about that.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of the Gold AP upgrade from regular tickets coming back?

NOTE: Resurrecting a thread that has not seen a reply since January 2020.
I wish I had a crystal ball, but yes I think that if APs are back they will allow you to upgrade on your last day. I have done it many times in the past. Heck, I even got the renewal price by using a PH on January 4th to upgrade my Gold AP that expired in December.

I'm surprised it was ever allowed and hasn't been closed as well!

We actually had Platinum passes that were due to expire June 2020. They were extended last year, and we are now eligible to purchase new Platinum APs.

Our planned trips are: Dec. '21-Jan. '22 (block-out), Apr. '22 (non block-out), and then Oct/Nov '22. The impatient part of me wants to just buy the Platinum passes and be done with it. However, the upgrade from our current tickets to Gold APs would be about $205 total, while upgrading to Platinum would be $970.

Obviously, it makes sense to wait and hopefully upgrade to Gold, right?

If they close the loophole, then I guess we would upgrade to Platinum on our last day in Jan. '22 instead.

The only way we lose is if we pass on the current offer to buy Platinum APs, and they do not reinstate AP sales by January... but I can't see that happening. Consensus seems to be building that APs are coming back, probably by August?

I'm talking this out because I've been out of the Disney/DVC loop for several months, and just want to make sure my logic here makes good sense.

I am hoping that this strategy still works! We’re visiting 12/29 -1/7. I am planning to buy 8 day park hoppers and would love to upgrade them to Gold APs after the blackout period - probably on 1/3. I usually buy tickets from an authorized reseller, so if I’m lucky we’ll save a few dollars and the cost to upgrade would be minimal.

The FIRST rule of fight club....

I'm surprised it was ever allowed and hasn't been closed as well!

We actually had Platinum passes that were due to expire June 2020. They were extended last year, and we are now eligible to purchase new Platinum APs.

Our planned trips are: Dec. '21-Jan. '22 (block-out), Apr. '22 (non block-out), and then Oct/Nov '22. The impatient part of me wants to just buy the Platinum passes and be done with it. However, the upgrade from our current tickets to Gold APs would be about $205 total, while upgrading to Platinum would be $970.

Obviously, it makes sense to wait and hopefully upgrade to Gold, right?

If they close the loophole, then I guess we would upgrade to Platinum on our last day in Jan. '22 instead.

The only way we lose is if we pass on the current offer to buy Platinum APs, and they do not reinstate AP sales by January... but I can't see that happening. Consensus seems to be building that APs are coming back, probably by August?

I'm talking this out because I've been out of the Disney/DVC loop for several months, and just want to make sure my logic here makes good sense.
I would definitely try upgrading to Gold first, which should work if current rules stand. That’s a big savings! Worst case scenario, you upgrade to Platinum instead. It would be easier to go right to Platinum, if APs return, but I’d take a chance to save the money.

FYI - hopes this helps others
I've been trying to renew my Gold AP that was cancelled last year due the the virus.
I found out that if I call VIP Passholders I can get them to renew and was confirmed eligible. I got a call back today (missed it) and called back the number they gave (407-939-7277) and was supposed to ask for Customer Help Desk but there was no option for that. Waited 45 minutes before they answered and when I told them, they said this was the main line and had to put me on hold for the AP Customer Help Desk. Another hour on hold. (they also gave me the direct number for that - 407-560-7277)

When they answered they knew who I was and told me I could purchase new passes for my DW and I for $2000. WHAT??

Then they told me those were platinum, the only ones they were selling to out of state visitors. I mentioned I only paid about $700 in late 2019 and then they asked if I was DVC. I said yes. At that point they asked for my member number and said they would leave a message for the DVC help desk and they would call back. If I missed the call I would have to go through the process again and they would call back. I could not directly call them.

One hour later they called, set me up and linked the passes to My Disney Experience, applied the cost of the 6 day single park tickets I bought ($1035) and only paid about another $490 for the two passes. Since I was reimbursed about $1000 for the cancellation of my last APs, its a win-win all around.

As exhausting as a day in the parks.

I need walked through this. We have upgraded tickets from a package to Gold passes before but, I need walked through this scenario:
Ok, we’re booked Dec 11-18th. 17th & 18th are Blocked-out for DVC Gold. Do I buy a 10 day ticket and upgrade before we leave on the 18th? I’m waiting on AP Recovery to call back and want to be ready if/when they do…
What is current pricing of new Gold vs Platinum?

So long as they open the option to buy new APs, that is the process. Buy your tickets now and on your last day, go down to Guest Services and ask to upgrade to the AP. They should put that towards the AP.

I've only done it with renewals and back in 2019 so there's no guarantee they will do it now with new APs.

I'm not sure of the current pricing but Gold is significantly lower and unless you plan of doing Christmas week (or Spring break) then I don't see it being worthwhile. Done Christmas once, not doing it again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!