Upgrading to Gold AP with ticket used during block-out days

robinb

DIS veteran
Joined
Aug 29, 1999
I need walked through this. We have upgraded tickets from a package to Gold passes before but, I need walked through this scenario:
Ok, we’re booked Dec 11-18th. 17th & 18th are Blocked-out for DVC Gold. Do I buy a 10 day ticket and upgrade before we leave on the 18th? I’m waiting on AP Recovery to call back and want to be ready if/when they do…
What is current pricing of new Gold vs Platinum?
Frankly, I would not mess with the combination of AP Recovery and playing the blackout date game. You don’t even know if you can buy an AP in December right now so if AP recovery gives you the option now, you should jump on it. You booked the 17th and 18th knowing it was blocked. I would just buy a DVC platinum pass and be done with it.

here is current pricing

https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/walt-disney-world-ticket-prices/
 

Yinn

DIS Veteran
Joined
Sep 4, 2019
Frankly, I would not mess with the combination of AP Recovery and playing the blackout date game. You don’t even know if you can buy an AP in December right now so if AP recovery gives you the option now, you should jump on it. You booked the 17th and 18th knowing it was blocked. I would just buy a DVC platinum pass and be done with it.

here is current pricing

https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/walt-disney-world-ticket-prices/
This is a very valid point. I tried to play cute with that game, bought discounted tickets to try to upgrade to an AP right before COVID. Now I no AP voucher, no option to recover and sitting on a 9 day ticket that's too long to use for my 6 day trip and waiting to buy an AP.

Saved a buck..spent a hundred.
 

robinb

DIS veteran
Joined
Aug 29, 1999
This is a very valid point. I tried to play cute with that game, bought discounted tickets to try to upgrade to an AP right before COVID. Now I no AP voucher, no option to recover and sitting on a 9 day ticket that's too long to use for my 6 day trip and waiting to buy an AP.

Saved a buck..spent a hundred.
I did something similar. I had two shiny new DVC Gold APs in my shopping cart last June 19th and was waffling on how to pay for them. Should I put them on my Fidelity Visa and save 2% or should I buy Gift Cards at Target, spend time to combine the cards and use the gift cards to pay for them? Finally, I decided to put them on the credit card because I just wanted to get it done. And *poof*, between putting them in my cart in the morning and going to pay for passes in my cart they pulled the sale of APs and I was left with nothing. All over 3% of what, $1500? I spent nearly as much for my 10-day PH in May than I would have for an AP which would also cover my planned 10-day October trip but now I had to shell out another $1200 for that trip.
 

ray3127

Life goal = Quarterly vacation
DVC Gold
Joined
Aug 2, 2018
Frankly, I would not mess with the combination of AP Recovery and playing the blackout date game. You don’t even know if you can buy an AP in December right now so if AP recovery gives you the option now, you should jump on it. You booked the 17th and 18th knowing it was blocked. I would just buy a DVC platinum pass and be done with it.

here is current pricing

https://allears.net/walt-disney-world/wdw-planning/walt-disney-world-ticket-prices/
I spoke with my DVC guide last week and asked about APs. He said there was no official news to share, but to look around at the rumors online. The consensus seems to be AP sales will return soon, and by mid-August at the latest.

My guide is one of the good ones. When he says something like that, it's because he wants to tell me something but can't yet. He has never engaged in puffery or any disingenuous tactic with me, ever. So I fully believe APs are returning by mid-August, if not sooner.

I understand the frustration of getting burned by the Covid situation, but I don't think that is a reason to rush and buy APs now if folks aren't using them until December. There is a risk that APs don't return by then, but that risk seems quite small. I just can't see APs disappearing at WDW, and I believe they want everything back to normal by October 1.

It's about $192 more (after tax) for the Platinum over the Gold. In my family's case, that's nearly $800 extra to just go forward with the upgrade straight to Platinum. I'm waiting for my call back on the recovery AP offer, but I will likely decline it and hold out hope for the Gold upgrade.

Maybe WDW finally takes away the Gold pass upgrade loophole. In that case, then those of us with initial travel date within the block-out period can just upgrade to a Platinum in late Dec./early Jan. But I'll hold on to my extra $800 for an extra 6 months.

(edited to remove blocked link)
 
Last edited:

robinb

DIS veteran
Joined
Aug 29, 1999
I spoke with my DVC guide last week and asked about APs. He said there was no official news to share, but to look around at the rumors online. The consensus seems to be AP sales will return soon, and by mid-August at the latest. The text of an official update from Disney implies as much: link removed by me).

My guide is one of the good ones. When he says something like that, it's because he wants to tell me something but can't yet. He has never engaged in puffery or any disingenuous tactic with me, ever. So I fully believe APs are returning by mid-August, if not sooner.
I hope you're right but the website that you linked (and was blocked by the DIS, so I won't say its name) is known to be an unreliable rumor mill.
 
Last edited:

ray3127

Life goal = Quarterly vacation
DVC Gold
Joined
Aug 2, 2018
I hope you're right but the website that you linked (and was blocked by the DIS, so I won't say its name) is known to be an unreliable rumor mill.
I can't keep the allowed sites straight :)

Fair point. It wasn't so much what that website was stating, moreso that there was a date referenced in an announcement from Disney. A couple other websites (which are probably 'better,' but I'm not sure if they're approved so I won't link to them) have similar stories. But again, they are just rumors.

The more encouraging thing I've heard is from my guide. So yes, I hope he is right!
 

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
I spoke with my DVC guide last week and asked about APs. He said there was no official news to share, but to look around at the rumors online. The consensus seems to be AP sales will return soon, and by mid-August at the latest.

My guide is one of the good ones. When he says something like that, it's because he wants to tell me something but can't yet. He has never engaged in puffery or any disingenuous tactic with me, ever. So I fully believe APs are returning by mid-August, if not sooner.

I understand the frustration of getting burned by the Covid situation, but I don't think that is a reason to rush and buy APs now if folks aren't using them until December. There is a risk that APs don't return by then, but that risk seems quite small. I just can't see APs disappearing at WDW, and I believe they want everything back to normal by October 1.

It's about $192 more (after tax) for the Platinum over the Gold. In my family's case, that's nearly $800 extra to just go forward with the upgrade straight to Platinum. I'm waiting for my call back on the recovery AP offer, but I will likely decline it and hold out hope for the Gold upgrade.

Maybe WDW finally takes away the Gold pass upgrade loophole. In that case, then those of us with initial travel date within the block-out period can just upgrade to a Platinum in late Dec./early Jan. But I'll hold on to my extra $800 for an extra 6 months.

(edited to remove blocked link)
Same here with about $800 more for us. I’m ok with buying Gold and waiting it out because I’m not completely sure the December trip will even happen. If it does, I think the upgrade to Platinum once we get there might be a good option. 2 days of tickets are that much $ plus we might have the same scenario next year as December travelers. That blockout seems to be creeping earlier than in years past.
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
Same here with about $800 more for us. I’m ok with buying Gold and waiting it out because I’m not completely sure the December trip will even happen. If it does, I think the upgrade to Platinum once we get there might be a good option. 2 days of tickets are that much $ plus we might have the same scenario next year as December travelers. That blockout seems to be creeping earlier than in years past.
Just be aware that if you use the Gold and APs are not on sale yet, you may not be allowed to upgrade.

I was not when I checked in March….and just again in June since we may do a April 2022 trip around Easter.

They will only let you upgrade at renewal or on an unused Just keep that in mind.
 

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
Joined
Jun 1, 2013

Just be aware that if you use the Gold and APs are not on sale yet, you may not be allowed to upgrade.

I was not when I checked in March….and just again in June since we may do a April 2022 trip around Easter.

They will only let you upgrade at renewal or on an unused Just keep that in mind.
Thanks - that is very good to know…IF this trip happens, we might be better off to just go Platinum right off since we travel mostly in December and those blackouts seem to be getting earlier every year.
 

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
Just be aware that if you use the Gold and APs are not on sale yet, you may not be allowed to upgrade.

I was not when I checked in March….and just again in June since we may do a April 2022 trip around Easter.

They will only let you upgrade at renewal or on an unused Just keep that in mind.
If we end up getting a cash room package for our first night and add tickets to cover the week plus a day, and AP’s are back, should I theoretically be allowed to upgrade on the last day?
 

Sandisw

DVC Forums
Moderator
Joined
Nov 15, 2008
If we end up getting a cash room package for our first night and add tickets to cover the week plus a day, and AP’s are back, should I theoretically be allowed to upgrade on the last day?
Yes. Once APs are on sale I don’t think there is any issue. Right now, with people being able to only purchase via the recovery offer or renew, rules are different.
 

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
Yes. Once APs are on sale I don’t think there is any issue. Right now, with people being able to only purchase via the recovery offer or renew, rules are different.
Thanks for the info Sandi! We ended up moving the trip to a different week so, hoping Recovery allows the purchase. Last time they gave me problems about my daughter who was under 3 and didn’t have a pass last year.
 

ray3127

Life goal = Quarterly vacation
DVC Gold
Joined
Aug 2, 2018
Last time they gave me problems about my daughter who was under 3 and didn’t have a pass last year.
When I spoke with the initial CM through VIPassholder support, I mentioned our daughter who is in the same boat (was 2, is now 3). The CM said they are offering the recovery APs to these kids, so you should be fine.
 

corpcomp

The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D
Joined
Apr 1, 2006
I need walked through this. We have upgraded tickets from a package to Gold passes before but, I need walked through this scenario:
Ok, we’re booked Dec 11-18th. 17th & 18th are Blocked-out for DVC Gold. Do I buy a 10 day ticket and upgrade before we leave on the 18th? I’m waiting on AP Recovery to call back and want to be ready if/when they do…
What is current pricing of new Gold vs Platinum?
Gold pass is approx. $764 (what I just paid). Platinum is about $185 more I believe. Just wait till they call you back before buying tickets. Less of a hassle. Unfortunately the Fast Passes are still unavailable. So currently you still need to make a specific park reservation each day and then at 2pm you can go to another park with the AP if they have the occupancy.
 

kmorlock

Our Happy Place
Joined
Jun 1, 2013
Gold pass is approx. $764 (what I just paid). Platinum is about $185 more I believe. Just wait till they call you back before buying tickets. Less of a hassle. Unfortunately the Fast Passes are still unavailable. So currently you still need to make a specific park reservation each day and then at 2pm you can go to another park with the AP if they have the occupancy.
Thanks - got the call back over the weekend. We’re all set! Yay!
 

Connect

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Top