*UPDATE* DAS online denied,, ok so where in WDW can u talk to a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that saying no to someone who needs it, is WORSE then saying yes to someone who doesn't. I am sure that there are some out there that are lying, but I don't think that it is as wide spread as some of you think. As someone who has gone 5 times since reopen, I could see how few people were actually in the FP line. And a percentage of those in that line were there for reasons other then having a DAS. There were so many times when we were the only ones in that line. I really don't know how any cast member can truly know if someone is lying or not. But I don't think this new management has the same philosophy that they have had in the past.

Yes, if I had to choose which was worse, I absolutely agree that denying it to someone whose needs really are appropriate for it is worse than giving it to someone whose needs aren’t. My hope is that the video chat will cut down on times when the CM feels they have to err on one side or the other, even though one side is clearly better to err on if you have to. I hope it will also give the CMs more time to explain their decision to the guests. It’s obviously never going to be a *perfect* system, but few things are. Hopefully when OP goes to GR in person, the CM there will be under less pressure and better able to help.

I wasn’t trying to say that people who get a yes when by the rules they should have gotten a no, are lying, and I apologize if my wording choice made that unclear. I was thinking more of a CM not having the time or inclination to get into a detailed explanation of why the guests’ needs as stated aren’t what the DAS is meant to help with. I’m the last person to get paranoid and assume people are being dishonest to get some kind of perceived advantage - a lot of people simply don’t completely understand the program and a harried CM doesn’t always have the bandwidth to explain in detail.

I’m one of those people for whom the DAS would help at certain specific attractions but not the majority of them. The company’s position is that that means I don’t get one. I’m OK with that, but it would have been nice if the first CM to tell me that had had the opportunity to sit and discuss it with me instead of having to rush me out to get to the line of people behind me that extended out the door of the building.

Last edited:
There are plenty of disabilities that don't fall into either of those categories, so that doesn't quite make sense.

It sounds to me like they may have been just radically oversimplifying by mentioning the two issues they see the most frequently?

However, I do wish Disney would invest in giving some more in-depth training to at least *some* of their front-line CMs, to make them able to be of better assistance to people with a wider range of disabilities.

I remember telling the CM at the Hall of Presidents that I needed to sit in the front in order to be able to see the show, and he said, “Oh, don’t worry, there aren’t any bad seats in the house. You’ll have a great view from anywhere in the auditorium.” I spent some more time trying to explain to him that sitting in the back would mean I couldn’t see the show AT ALL, but he just wasn’t getting it. At one point he offered me a reflective captioning device, which is an aid for the *hearing* impaired. It was clear he was one of those people who believes you can be either completely blind or have normal vision, but nothing in between. If the show hadn’t been about to start, I would have asked to speak to his lead, but that would have meant a long wait and possibly missing the show anyway. Another time a CM at the Haunted Mansion asked me if my eyesight was really that bad, why was I even bothering to ride the attraction at all?

I know all they’re required to do is provide the bare minimum of accessibility as defined by the ADA. But they must know that they’re the destination of choice for many people with disabilities because they get access right more often than they get it wrong, and it could only enhance their reputation to give their people some better education in that area.

Muffyn, I am so glad this was resolved in a positive manner for you family. I know how much a stress this is in our family. I hope you have a magical trip.

I think a couple reasons for offering the DAS video registration include:

- making sure people registering for DAS are actually asked what their issues are. There have been many posts where people reported, « I just said I needed DAS and they just gave it me without any questions or explanation ».

- avoid some of the loud and unpleasant experiences many people have witnessed related to DAS when someone refuses to answer any questions about why they need DAS or are turned down for DAS.
(I’ve personally seen both, especially people who say their reason for needing DAS is they are using an ECV/wheelchair with no other issues)

It also gives another option for people who are uncomfortable requesting DAS at a park. Once they have it all sorted out, I’m sure it’s not going to be the marathon video chat request it is current ly.

I think a couple reasons for offering the DAS video registration include:

- making sure people registering for DAS are actually asked what their issues are. There have been many posts where people reported, « I just said I needed DAS and they just gave it me without any questions or explanation ».

- avoid some of the loud and unpleasant experiences many people have witnessed related to DAS when someone refuses to answer any questions about why they need DAS or are turned down for DAS.
(I’ve personally seen both, especially people who say their reason for needing DAS is they are using an ECV/wheelchair with no other issues)

It also gives another option for people who are uncomfortable requesting DAS at a park. Once they have it all sorted out, I’m sure it’s not going to be the marathon video chat request it is current ly.
It also avoids making a scene even for those who need it. We recently witnessed a mom screaming at guest services about how her daughter has autism and since they got rid of fastpass you cannot possibly expect her autistic four year old to wait in these rides. She was VERY aggressive and shouting. The poor CM was a little thing and was physically leaning back away from this person

It sounds to me like they may have been just radically oversimplifying by mentioning the two issues they see the most frequently?

However, I do wish Disney would invest in giving some more in-depth training to at least *some* of their front-line CMs, to make them able to be of better assistance to people with a wider range of disabilities.

I remember telling the CM at the Hall of Presidents that I needed to sit in the front in order to be able to see the show, and he said, “Oh, don’t worry, there aren’t any bad seats in the house. You’ll have a great view from anywhere in the auditorium.” I spent some more time trying to explain to him that sitting in the back would mean I couldn’t see the show AT ALL, but he just wasn’t getting it. At one point he offered me a reflective captioning device, which is an aid for the *hearing* impaired. It was clear he was one of those people who believes you can be either completely blind or have normal vision, but nothing in between. If the show hadn’t been about to start, I would have asked to speak to his lead, but that would have meant a long wait and possibly missing the show anyway. Another time a CM at the Haunted Mansion asked me if my eyesight was really that bad, why was I even bothering to ride the attraction at all?

I know all they’re required to do is provide the bare minimum of accessibility as defined by the ADA. But they must know that they’re the destination of choice for many people with disabilities because they get access right more often than they get it wrong, and it could only enhance their reputation to give their people some better education in that area.

I can relate.. My D-I-L is both deaf & blind, and when she tries to explain she needs front rows, they give her all the excuses you got. She gets so frustrated she just wants to walk out of the situation. ( on other places they stick the ASL needing people way away from everyone else but then she can't "see" what her limitations will let her.) really hard getting the conversation across.

That's terrible and makes no sense! Ughhhh my mom is 70 years old and I'm trying to get a DAS pass for her for a trip in Dec. I emailed them explaining that my mom lives in another state and would never be able to figure out the video chat and asked if we could do this another way and what did they suggest. I got a canned response a week later that didn't answer a single question. It's was pointless and a huge waste of time. I'm just going to take my mom in person and probably waste another 2 hours at the park on our first day. I'm so beyond fed up with Disney's customer service lately. My grandma use to always say "you get what you pay for"..... but this isn't the case with Disney anymore.
The process in the park will definitely not take 2 hours, maybe 10 minutes. What are you wanting them to do for your mother? If it’s mobility or stamina related, you will be told to get a wheelchair.

This is blatantly untrue. We just went with someone who has a medical condition that has nothing to do with physical/mobility problems or sensory issues, and they got a DAS.
Mobility is not a reason for DAS, this has always b
The process in the park will definitely not take 2 hours, maybe 10 minutes. What are you wanting them to do for your mother? If it’s mobility or stamina related, you will be told to get a wheelchair.
During a peak day at MK it can easily take an hour

Mobility is not a reason for DAS, this has always b

During a peak day at MK it can easily take an hour
I'm sorry, did you actually read my post???? I said they did NOT have a physical/mobility disability OR a sensory issues related disability.

I'm sorry, did you actually read my post???? I said they did NOT have a physical/mobility disability OR a sensory issues related disability.
Sorry I tried to post about MK wait and it added a post I started for another post and tagged it as you. I still have trouble with this message board

My daughter had her Video Chat today. It was a trainwreck. She stated clearly that she has been approved for DAS multiple times since her diagnosis two year ago; and clearly stated the reasons she could not wait in the regular lines...and she was told that "wasn't enough".

We have been told repeatedly by her doctor that her ability to experience any theme park (we have one close by) is dependant on an Access Pass. We had a very tough time last summer when DAS wasn't working properly, and she lost conciousness at MK; we had to leave the park for the day afterward. I find it ridiculous that an overworked Cast Member on a Video Chat is making this call, after at least 10 face to face Cast Members deemed her "worthy" for the past 2 years.

After a very unpleasant exchange (with my kid in tears), the Cast Member did grant the DAS, but was very rude about it.

We have one last trip planned later this winter; not sure what to do differently next time? It was ridiculously unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
My daughter had her Video Chat today. It was a trainwreck. She stated clearly that she has been approved for DAS multiple times since her diagnosis two year ago; and clearly stated the reasons she could not wait in the regular lines...and she was told that "wasn't enough".

We have been told repeatedly by her doctor that her ability to experience any theme park (we have one close by) is dependant on an Access Pass. We had a very tough time last summer when DAS wasn't working properly, and she lost conciousness at MK; we had to leave the park for the day afterward. I find it ridiculous that an overworked Cast Member on a Video Chat is making this call, after at least 10 face to face Cast Members deemed her "worthy" for the past 2 years.

After a very unpleasant exchange (with my kid in tears), the Cast Member did grant the DAS, but was very rude about it.

We have one last trip planned later this winter; not sure what to do differently next time? It was ridiculously unnecessary.

Her doctor really doesn't have a say if she can access a theme park though - there may be certain conditions your daughter needs to avoid, but her doctor can't say she has to have an access pass. That might be the part the CM was balking at, if your daughter told the CM "my doctor says..."

Her doctor really doesn't have a say if she can access a theme park though - there may be certain conditions your daughter needs to avoid, but her doctor can't say she has to have an access pass. That might be the part the CM was balking at, if your daughter told the CM "my doctor says..."

She actually didn't mention the doctor; just the specific and multiple reasons she cannot be part of the regular queue/waiting process (we aren't supposed to post those specifics) - and exactly what we've always said when applying for and being approved for the DAS. Those issues are significant; but the questions from the Cast Member were incredibly rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter