*UPDATE* DAS online denied,, ok so where in WDW can u talk to a person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muffyn

"hmmm*
**UPDATE**
so I wrote disability dept.
( I had been in communication with signlanguage dept & disability dept by email the previous week after spending 12 hours on the phone being transferred back & forth to wrong departments trying to get an ASL interpreter for Savi's workshop. they had emailed me back promptly with that issue & helped us out)
The disability dept wrote me back, and said they would investigate & see what they can do to help. a couple hours later I get phone call from a very nice cast member who said they are going to set up a video call online to get this sorted out, they did not see a problem with our "ask". ok, had to call Son ( who is out of state) to tell him what they will do for his wife. Cast member then called my Son to set up a time to coordinate the video call. it worked out they logged on, put in a certain password and "they" found him online and immediately connected.
The phone call went super, calmed my D-I-L down & gave her some disney magic back.
Didnt get an answer "why" the other call went so badly, but this was certainly night & day between them.
we really think part of the problem was really bad connection, they couldn't hear person on chat, and that person heard one word & said thats not a reason. then no matter how they tried to explain, this person was really rude & dismissive.. I dunno, maybe some of these people have been burned out by all the calls!
ok, just wanted to add this.. so if you have problems write to them,, or go see in person, have also heard its better in person, ( yea, you dont get the advance ride reservations)

previous Post::
so after 7 hours online, a family member was told her reason does not qualify for a DAS.
She has been going to Disney ( both cali & florida) for over 10 years & has never been denied this pass.
it states "DAS is intended for Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability."

which fits her situation.

soooooooooooo where in WDW can we walk up to and talk to someone?

I know in a park, but would like to do this before a regular park day , are we stuck with paying parking & walking there? are there guest services before you enter the park?

or how accommodating is the one at Disney springs? ( have seen major long lines there, and might be a pain to get to)
I don't suppose any of the resorts have a guest services. or can we take the gondolas to Epcot maybe? and is there guest services there when you get off gondola before entrance?

this is so frustrating she is about to cancel the trip.

Last edited:
You can ask for a DAS inside each park or at the guest service outside of each park. Depending on how busy they are, outside the park might not be able to process a DAS request. I would assume that you would need to pay for parking.

You can’t get a DAS at Disney Springs.

I had a feeling that they would be denying a bunch more people with this system. It is so much easier to say no to a person on the video chat then to someone who is standing in front of you. It is also strange that they would deny someone that has been getting the pass for years.

That's terrible and makes no sense! Ughhhh my mom is 70 years old and I'm trying to get a DAS pass for her for a trip in Dec. I emailed them explaining that my mom lives in another state and would never be able to figure out the video chat and asked if we could do this another way and what did they suggest. I got a canned response a week later that didn't answer a single question. It's was pointless and a huge waste of time. I'm just going to take my mom in person and probably waste another 2 hours at the park on our first day. I'm so beyond fed up with Disney's customer service lately. My grandma use to always say "you get what you pay for"..... but this isn't the case with Disney anymore.

I had a feeling that they would be denying a bunch more people with this system. It is so much easier to say no to a person on the video chat then to someone who is standing in front of you. It is also strange that they would deny someone that has been getting the pass for years.

I think your first comment kind of explains the second…it’s hard to say no in person, but if during the video, the CM feels that it may have been given incorrectly in the past, it’s much easier to say “no” this time.

It will be interesting to see if a record is kept if those denied on video, and how it will be handled if they ask again in the park.

That's terrible and makes no sense! Ughhhh my mom is 70 years old and I'm trying to get a DAS pass for her for a trip in Dec. I emailed them explaining that my mom lives in another state and would never be able to figure out the video chat and asked if we could do this another way and what did they suggest. I got a canned response a week later that didn't answer a single question. It's was pointless and a huge waste of time. I'm just going to take my mom in person and probably waste another 2 hours at the park on our first day. I'm so beyond fed up with Disney's customer service lately. My grandma use to always say "you get what you pay for"..... but this isn't the case with Disney anymore.
Not sure what you expect them to do? They have to see the person, so if it can’t be done via video it would have to be in person.

I think your first comment kind of explains the second…it’s hard to say no in person, but if during the video, the CM feels that it may have been given incorrectly in the past, it’s much easier to say “no” this time.

It will be interesting to see if a record is kept if those denied on video, and how it will be handled if they ask again in the park.

Right - I think it’s very possible that a lot of CM’s in the parks have given a quick answer just to keep the line moving, even if it wasn’t really the appropriate answer.

Right - I think it’s very possible that a lot of CM’s in the parks have given a quick answer just to keep the line moving, even if it wasn’t really the appropriate answer.

That might be true, but I have seen plenty of people get turned down for DAS. With as many trips as I have taken, I have been to guest services for a number of reasons over the years and almost every time I go into one, someone is loud and upset that they can't get the DAS. I think that they say no to plenty of people, but with the video call, it will be much easier for them because they can just hang up on a person. If someone, like the OP's mom, has qualified for DAS for years by numerous other cast members, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden she does not qualify for it now. Not one other cast member said no?

That might be true, but I have seen plenty of people get turned down for DAS. With as many trips as I have taken, I have been to guest services for a number of reasons over the years and almost every time I go into one, someone is loud and upset that they can't get the DAS. I think that they say no to plenty of people, but with the video call, it will be much easier for them because they can just hang up on a person. If someone, like the OP's mom, has qualified for DAS for years by numerous other cast members, I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden she does not qualify for it now. Not one other cast member said no?
Plenty of people have posted here that once they get a DAS it’s just a simple renewal on subsequent trips, no questions asked, other than “Has your situation changed?” I can absolutely see how this could have happened.

If you can’t do the video chat, the way to do it would be in person. It can be done at Guest Relations in any theme park. The CMs at the blue Guest Experience umbrellas
in multiple locations in each park (they can’t if their iPads are not working or are not connecting to the internet).

We‘ve registered and/or renewed DAS for our daughter in the parks for years. It’s never taken 2 hours; the most has been 15 minutes, including waiting and the process for DAS registration).

so after 7 hours online, a family member was told her reason does not qualify for a DAS.
She has been going to Disney ( both cali & florida) for over 10 years & has never been denied this pass.
it states "DAS is intended for Guests who have difficulty tolerating extended waits in a conventional queue environment due to a disability."

which fits her situation.

soooooooooooo where in WDW can we walk up to and talk to someone?

I know in a park, but would like to do this before a regular park day , are we stuck with paying parking & walking there? are there guest services before you enter the park?

or how accommodating is the one at Disney springs? ( have seen major long lines there, and might be a pain to get to)
I don't suppose any of the resorts have a guest services. or can we take the gondolas to Epcot maybe? and is there guest services there when you get off gondola before entrance?

this is so frustrating she is about to cancel the trip.
We were staying at the Dolphin Hotel, and got my granddaughters DAS set up at guest services at Epcot International Gateway, it's outside the entrance. We set it up the evening before our park days. So I assume there is parking for the boardwalk area, you could try that and walk over or do the boat. This was in Aug, pre all the changes, but I think you should still be able to do guest services. I know they won't do DAS for mobility reasons, as they have other ways of dealing with that wheelchairs/scooters, etc. .

That’s why I deliberately said “a quick answer” instead of “a quick yes” or “a quick no.” I thought I was being very careful not to imply one or the other. Saying no to someone who should get a yes is as bad as saying yes to someone who should get a no, and I am sure that both situations happen for expediency’s sake when the CM at GR is overworked and under pressure. My hope is that when the kinks are ironed out, the video chat will allow enough time for the guest and CM to talk and make an appropriate evaluation.

I asked a CM about getting the DAS in Disneyland. She explained to me that there were 2 types of disabilities; mobility issues and sensory issues. That being in a scooter, unable to stand for more than 10 minutes did not qualify me for DAS. That was for people with sensory problems.

On the other hand most of the rides in Disneyland are not handicapped accessible. So I was able to either just go in the exit and ride or get a"come back" time even though I didn't have the DAS.

I asked a CM about getting the DAS in Disneyland. She explained to me that there were 2 types of disabilities; mobility issues and sensory issues. That being in a scooter, unable to stand for more than 10 minutes did not qualify me for DAS. That was for people with sensory problems.

On the other hand most of the rides in Disneyland are not handicapped accessible. So I was able to either just go in the exit and ride or get a"come back" time even though I didn't have the DAS.
It’s the same at WDW.
It’s very much a simplification, but things do pretty much fit into 2 rough categories. Sensory can be broader than might be thought of at first (I.e. it’s not just autism or cognitive). Mobility issues that are taken care of by using a wheelchair or ECV in line don’t qualify for DAS. But, many people with additional needs that are not met by using a mobility device in line are registered for DAS.

That’s why I deliberately said “a quick answer” instead of “a quick yes” or “a quick no.” I thought I was being very careful not to imply one or the other. Saying no to someone who should get a yes is as bad as saying yes to someone who should get a no, and I am sure that both situations happen for expediency’s sake when the CM at GR is overworked and under pressure. My hope is that when the kinks are ironed out, the video chat will allow enough time for the guest and CM to talk and make an appropriate evaluation.

I believe that saying no to someone who needs it, is WORSE then saying yes to someone who doesn't. I am sure that there are some out there that are lying, but I don't think that it is as wide spread as some of you think. As someone who has gone 5 times since reopen, I could see how few people were actually in the FP line. And a percentage of those in that line were there for reasons other then having a DAS. There were so many times when we were the only ones in that line. I really don't know how any cast member can truly know if someone is lying or not. But I don't think this new management has the same philosophy that they have had in the past.

There are plenty of disabilities that don't fall into either of those categories, so that doesn't quite make sense.

This is blatantly untrue. We just went with someone who has a medical condition that has nothing to do with physical/mobility problems or sensory issues, and they got a DAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter