Unwanted rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting a HA room has happened to me a few times, and the first time I found out how slippery the bathroom floor gets after a shower it was awful. I am not steady on my feet and I needed DH's help to navigate the bathroom. I was scared.

So, when I was with a DGF & given one, I went to the lobby at Jambo and explained the situation. I wasn't sure my friend could support me, so I asked for lots of towels to put down on the floor. They brought many towels, and that worked. They offered to move me after two days, even saying we could stay in the room until the new one was ready, but we kept the room, the solution worked, and I do think everyone has to be flexible and this was my turn.

The HA studio we had in HHI did not have the same problem with the floor getting wet. I don't know why VWL & BCV's do.

Bobbi:)

stayed once in HA room, found the bathroom dangerous, ie after a shower, most of the BR floor was wet and slippery, a slip and fall danger. spent a week in it, and regrettably, did not complain to the management.
i'd demand a room change for safety reasons, but not make a public display that could be offensive and disturbing to other guests. it's very disturbing to me when i witness it, especially in restaurants when you want to have a pleasant dinner. go somewhere private to voice your complaint, and don't disrupt others' vacation.

Getting a HA room has happened to me a few times, and the first time I found out how slippery the bathroom floor gets after a shower it was awful. I am not steady on my feet and I needed DH's help to navigate the bathroom. I was scared.

So, when I was with a DGF & given one, I went to the lobby at Jambo and explained the situation. I wasn't sure my friend could support me, so I asked for lots of towels to put down on the floor. They brought many towels, and that worked. They offered to move me after two days, even saying we could stay in the room until the new one was ready, but we kept the room, the solution worked, and I do think everyone has to be flexible and this was my turn.

The HA studio we had in HHI did not have the same problem with the floor getting wet. I don't know why VWL & BCV's do.

Bobbi:)

Thanks for sharing your solution to the shower issue. I'll keep it in mind for when it's our turn to get one of the HA rooms.

Thanks for sharing your solution to the shower issue. I'll keep it in mind for when it's our turn to get one of the HA rooms.

We roll up a bath towel to make a long skinny snake and put it near the bottom of the shower curtain to make a dam. Works for us.

I've also found that turning the shower head so it sprays more toward the wall rather than the shower curtain helps a lot with the roll-in showers at OKW.

We roll up a bath towel to make a long skinny snake and put it near the bottom of the shower curtain to make a dam. Works for us.

should you have to do that? you only have so many towels, and it would take more than one to do what you do, at least at the OKW HA BRs. i suspect you'd have to switch towels for everyone's shower, everyday you were there; in my case, we were there 7 days. again, regrettably, i didn't complain to MS, so my fault. but if i'd slipped and fallen, and injured myself, do you think they'd have a legal leg to stand on (pardon the pun)?

I have had dumpster views, road views, no views, long hall walks. But I don't want a HA room, nor do I or anyone else have to settle for it. I don't stay at Disney for free.

So what do you think the solution is? As mentioned, there are only so many DVC rooms and some have to be HA.

Would you have preferred when booking to have been told there was no availability? Because in essence, unless they make it a booking category, there is always a chance to get one.

I have had dumpster views, road views, no views, long hall walks. But I don't want a HA room, nor do I or anyone else have to settle for it. I don't stay at Disney for free.

Nor do I. I don't want one, and I don't stay at Disney for free. But that is the system I bought into. What makes you more special than me?

And why do you think its appropriate to come on to this board and admit that you stuck another member with a HA because you refused to take your turn. One of US ended up in that room.

should you have to do that? you only have so many towels, and it would take more than one to do what you do, at least at the OKW HA BRs. i suspect you'd have to switch towels for everyone's shower, everyday you were there; in my case, we were there 7 days. again, regrettably, i didn't complain to MS, so my fault. but if i'd slipped and fallen, and injured myself, do you think they'd have a legal leg to stand on (pardon the pun)?

If we need more towels, I ask for them. We have never been charged. It's funny because back in the days when I never dreamed we would need a HA room, we had one. It was not what we wanted but I remember thinking that staying in it was my way of supporting those who need HA rooms---HA rooms exist to make it possible for people with special needs to enjoy Disney. Little did I know that it would not be long before WE were the ones needing accommodations. I guess that all of the flap on this thread shows why HA rooms have to be mandated. What hotel would want to deal with all of the complaints if it were not required?

I've had a HA room once as well. I thing the only fair way to distribute the room for those of us who thankfully do not need it is to give it to the last reservation made.

I had a HA room last year at Beach Club. While it was inconvenient, we just rolled the coffee table from the studio into the bathroom and used that for the vanity. Then the sofa bed could be kept open all day.

It was also a bit weird feeling that all the toilets were so low in the parks when we had a high one in our HA room. I am pretty sure we had a low tub though. Like 3-4 inches.

The kitchenette was nice; not too much tall storage space, but I'm short so it worked out well!

It was the only studio left when we stayed there (for a week). It took a day or two to get used to (plus the low bed) but we managed. :)

Here are pics (BCV Room #525):

101_2341.jpg

101_2342.jpg

101_2343.jpg

101_2344.jpg

101_2345.jpg

101_2346.jpg

101_2347.jpg

101_2348.jpg

101_2349.jpg

Just stumbled upon this thread and can't help but think - for what DVC members pay I don't think ANY of you should have to "take turns" being "stuck" with a handicapped accesible room, unless of course, you needed it. Just doesn't seem right.

Just stumbled upon this thread and can't help but think - for what DVC members pay I don't think ANY of you should have to "take turns" being "stuck" with a handicapped accesible room, unless of course, you needed it. Just doesn't seem right.
It is, however, the way it is set up, and no one held a gu tour heads and made us buy.

Just stumbled upon this thread and can't help but think - for what DVC members pay I don't think ANY of you should have to "take turns" being "stuck" with a handicapped accessible room, unless of course, you needed it. Just doesn't seem right.

The handicap rooms are part of the overall timeshare. A certain percentage of rooms must be handi-accessible by law. Failure to have them would be illegal. So, they have to be used as part of the timeshare or Disney would be guilty of "overselling" the timeshare.

That is the difference between timeshares and cash resorts. A cash resort can simply choose to lose the revenue/income from those rooms and let them sit idle unless needed by a person with disabilities. A timeshare can not do so, unless they hold enough points from sale to cover what the handicap rooms would use for an entire year, and chose to not make any profit on the sale of those points.

101_2343.jpg

That bed really doesn't look any lower than the beds in the regular rooms at the value resorts, or in some regular hotels I've stayed in. It is considerably lower, though, than the regular beds at OKW.

I wonder how much of a problem this is for the front desk or if we only hear complaints from the rare few who don't realize what a value these are to the membership (as well as being required by law). If offered a HC room I'd think people would first ask of another option is available, then if not, just settle in and be happy that they don't really NEED the rooms.

Perhaps it would be better if the booking site would alert everyone that they may end up in a HC room?

I've had a number of HC folk in my life - loved them all and wish their homes had been as HC friendly as the rooms. I'm glad DVC has these available for others like them.

T
That is the difference between timeshares and cash resorts. A cash resort can simply chose to lose the revenue/income from those rooms and let them sit idle unless needed by a person with disabilities. A timeshare can not do so, unless they hold enough points from sale to cover what the handicap rooms would use for an entire year, and chose to not make any profit on the sale of those points.

And the reality of that situation would be that the profit would be wrapped into the other points - as well as the dues expense for having extra rooms sitting around unused.

DVC is set up so that Disney takes their profit upfront, and then members incur all the expenses while DVC takes another profit on those.

As noted, this is what we all signed up for. The only system I am aware of that could avoid this issue is simply the old fixed week, fixed unit system that most timeshare worked under and many still do. I think the problem with your statement is it suggests a level of entitlement that is beyond the realities of the system.

Chuck S said:
The handicap rooms are part of the overall timeshare. A certain percentage of rooms must be handi-accessible by law. Failure to have them would be illegal. So, they have to be used as part of the timeshare or Disney would be guilty of "overselling" the timeshare.

That is the difference between timeshares and cash resorts. A cash resort can simply chose to lose the revenue/income from those rooms and let them sit idle unless needed by a person with disabilities. A timeshare can not do so, unless they hold enough points from sale to cover what the handicap rooms would use for an entire year, and chose to not make any profit on the sale of those points.

That bed really doesn't look any lower than the beds in the regular rooms at the value resorts, or in some regular hotels I've stayed in. It is considerably lower, though, than the regular beds at OKW.

The bed was much lower in the room I had.

I think the HA booking category is a great idea. We had a HA unit at BLT last month. We talked about asking to switch rooms, but ultimately decided it's vacation, let's go with the flow.

I think the HA booking category is a great idea. We had a HA unit at BLT last month. We talked about asking to switch rooms, but ultimately decided it's vacation, let's go with the flow.
I also think it's a great idea in many ways. The truth is with the new ADA rules they essentially have to do it that way anyway from a reservation standpoint. That way if it comes down to whether one goes but gets a HA unit, at least you know up front. However, there are some realities, esp for the smaller resorts. It means you're chances of not having a single unit to reserve is a little higher and with the current WL rules, it reduces the chances of matching modestly and/or you might have to change units. There would also be a modest cost to the system to add the additional variable. Also, as is the case now, it still wouldn't be completely guaranteed. The resort still has to fit everything together when life happens such as there's a major issue with the last non HA villa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter