Unwanted rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. We had an HA studio at BWV. There was no place to leave anything in the bathroom even though there was plenty of room for storage shelves at an accessible height.

Instead of a closet there was a small armoire that was already full since it was also used to store the ironing board, vacuum cleaner and pack'n'play. I had to drag those heavy items out of the armoire so we could hang up some shirts. Want to put your valuables in a safe place while you head for the parks? Too bad, there was no safe in the room.
I haven't really seen anyone else comment on what you said about the armoire filled with stuff and the lack of a safe, but those factors have bothered me more than the roll-in shower when I've stayed in a HA studio a few times. The lack of a wall safe seems more like an oversight than a necessity in a HA room. Am I missing something there?

The first time I had a HA room with no safe, I called the front desk and expressed my surprise and concern about it. I thought that maybe the safe was just very well hidden and that I hadn't found it yet. Well, the very nice CM offered to send up a small portable safety box with a key lock. When I said, "But couldn't a thief just pick up the box and walk away with it?" there was this silence on the other end of the phone. Then she said, "Well, I don't think you really need to be concerned about thieves." Hmmm, really? Then why do any rooms have safes? :rotfl:

I haven't really seen anyone else comment on what you said about the armoire filled with stuff and the lack of a safe, but those factors have bothered me more than the roll-in shower when I've stayed in a HA studio a few times. The lack of a wall safe seems more like an oversight than a necessity in a HA room. Am I missing something there?

The first time I had a HA room with no safe, I called the front desk and expressed my surprise and concern about it. I thought that maybe the safe was just very well hidden and that I hadn't found it yet. Well, the very nice CM offered to send up a small portable safety box with a key lock. When I said, "But couldn't a thief just pick up the box and walk away with it?" there was this silence on the other end of the phone. Then she said, "Well, I don't think you really need to be concerned about thieves." Hmmm, really? Then why do any rooms have safes? :rotfl:
Since they put the safe in the closet, no closet apparently no safe. They'd need a different type of safe maybe similar to what you find on many cruise ships.

we've had a couple rooms that I'm sure wouldn't have pleased some of the picky people on this forum, but we've only had one really bad assignment.

It was a "lake view" at BLT where you could barely see the lake -- second floor inside the "C" view blocked by palms. They moved us the next day to a very nice lake view. That was the only time I ever complained about a room and it was worth the hassle to fuss.

Since they put the safe in the closet, no closet apparently no safe. They'd need a different type of safe maybe similar to what you find on many cruise ships.
The studios in Jambo House do not have closets either so they put the safes in the wall near the kitchenette. They appear to be exactly the same kind of wall cavity safe as you find in the other DVC rooms though I did not measure them. They could have done the same thing in the HA studio at BWV unless the wall cavity in the room's exterior walls is not as deep as the cavity in the closet wall.

It isn't pretty to look at but I would rather have one out in the open like in the Jambo studios than to not have one at all.

The studios in Jambo House do not have closets either so they put the safes in the wall near the kitchenette. They appear to be exactly the same kind of wall cavity safe as you find in the other DVC rooms though I did not measure them. They could have done the same thing in the HA studio at BWV unless the wall cavity in the room's exterior walls is not as deep as the cavity in the closet wall.

It isn't pretty to look at but I would rather have one out in the open like in the Jambo studios than to not have one at all.
That's the point, they made a decision not to put them at one time and to do so at another. Functional vs attractive seemed to be their choice. I'm sure there could have been other options that might have worked better. I think it's unrealistic to think their going to go out of their way to try to make the HC units perfect. What they'll likely do is the minimum that meets the ADA requirements and try to fit them into the basic scheme for the rest of a given resort otherwise. We can argue what they should or should not do and all the ramifications but that's what they are likely to do, the minimum they have to that's different than the rest of the construction.

I have to agree with Dean on this one. We got one once at SSR and the bed literally was so low to the ground that it was unusable for my spouse due to a bad back.

We paid to move and hence our only request will be non HA room. I could care less about the location of my room, or view as that truly does not make for a physically uncomfortable stay. But when I am forced to sleep on a bed that by the next day will make me unable to walk, then yes it is not acceptable.

I do agree with the other comments about the HA rooms seem to be extremely poorly designed and laid out. We have gotten HA rooms in other hotels and never was it really a unpleasant room in any way and the beds were not on the floor.

And I love that Chuck said doohicky, boy it is been a long time since I heard that term.

Sammie said:
I have to agree with Dean on this one. We got one once at SSR and the bed literally was so low to the ground that it was unusable for my spouse due to a bad back.

We paid to move and hence our only request will be non HA room. I could care less about the location of my room, or view as that truly does not make for a physically uncomfortable stay. But when I am forced to sleep on a bed that by the next day will make me unable to walk, then yes it is not acceptable.

I do agree with the other comments about the HA rooms seem to be extremely poorly designed and laid out. We have gotten HA rooms in other hotels and never was it really a unpleasant room in any way and the beds were not on the floor.

And I love that Chuck said doohicky, boy it is been a long time since I heard that term.

That was how my bed was Sammie but I was told to suck it up.

That was how my bed was Sammie but I was told to suck it up.
I can't speak for others but that's certainly not what I said. My comments were intended to be along the lines of it's reasonable to request and ask to be moved but one should be willing to pay the change fee if the room was disturbed. However, it's a timeshare and someone has to get those rooms so it might be you or me at times, then we'll have to deal and should do so willingly. If so it's reasonable to ask for a change but not demand one. You got your change and got off easy not having to pay the change fee since you stayed overnight, you rightfully could/should have. It is not reasonable to make a scene or get upset over this issue and your posts suggested you were/did. I'm convinced had you not gotten your way you would have pushed it and possibly made a scene and that's where I think the appropriate line is drawn. I wasn't there so all I can address is what you posted and what I do know. IMO that's dramatic difference from shut up and deal with it though that phrase would have been applicable if they were unable to accommodate the change.

Dean said:
I can't speak for others but that's certainly not what I said. My comments were intended to be along the lines of it's reasonable to request and ask to be moved but one should be willing to pay the change fee if the room was disturbed. However, it's a timeshare and someone has to get those rooms so it might be you or me at times, then we'll have to deal and should do so willingly. If so it's reasonable to ask for a change but not demand one. You got your change and got off easy not having to pay the change fee since you stayed overnight, you rightfully could/should have. It is not reasonable to make a scene or get upset over this issue and your posts suggested you were/did. I'm convinced had you not gotten your way you would have pushed it and possibly made a scene and that's where I think the appropriate line is drawn. I wasn't there so all I can address is what you posted and what I do know. IMO that's dramatic difference from shut up and deal with it though that phrase would have been applicable if they were unable to accommodate the change.

First of all Dean I wasn't referring to you, and secondly your judgemental statement about me me is totally uncalled for on this post. What you're convinced of is meaninglessly since you have no clue how I handled my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter