Unwanted rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, HA rooms are not convenient for able bodied people. DH needs HA facilities and I wish that we didn't. Still, there are a finite number of rooms at any resort and DVC is usually very close to 100% full and sometimes 100% full. If you ask nicely at checkin whether your assigned room is HA and find that it is, then it certainly is appropriate to ask if another room is available. If there is another available, lucky you. If not, then it is your turn to this time and you can pay to be switched as soon as another room is available. In our 13 years of ownership we have had rooms that were not ideal, including HA rooms before the days when we needed them. It would be selfish on our part to expect that other DVC members should always be the ones to get the dumpster view, the room with no balcony, the unwanted HA room. And if the situation is too bad, then it is great to have the option to pay to switch.

What is the fee to switch rooms? Is it based on the size of the room?

What is the fee to switch rooms? Is it based on the size of the room?

You pay the fee to do a full cleaning, so yes, it is based on the size of the room.

Studio/Inn Room - $30.00
One-Bedroom - $45.00
Two-Bedroom - $60.00
Three-Bedroom - $75.00

I did go down and they said they would move me tomorrow which sucks because I have to be out again by 11am and don't know when I can get in the new room.

We have had this happen to us, all I can say is don't let it ruin your day. :hippie:

So they accomodate you and you are still complaining? While its a pain there are a whole lot worse ways to spend your day than being at Disney. :banana:

We have had this happen to us, all I can say is don't let it ruin your day. :hippie:

So they accomodate you and you are still complaining? While its a pain there are a whole lot worse ways to spend your day than being at Disney. :banana:
It's happened to us a couple times too. We were upgraded once from a standard view room to a HA room at BWV. I was perfectly happy to look over Leaping Libations rather than the street even though storage in the bathroom was limited. I also had one at BCV on the first floor which was convenient to everything.

Honestly, I would rather have a HA room than the famous "dumpster view" at VWL, one of the rooms near the ME cages at AKV or BWV or those awful rooms on the pathway between the main resort and BCV.

OP, HA rooms are not convenient for able bodied people. DH needs HA facilities and I wish that we didn't. Still, there are a finite number of rooms at any resort and DVC is usually very close to 100% full and sometimes 100% full. If you ask nicely at checkin whether your assigned room is HA and find that it is, then it certainly is appropriate to ask if another room is available. If there is another available, lucky you. If not, then it is your turn to this time and you can pay to be switched as soon as another room is available. In our 13 years of ownership we have had rooms that were not ideal, including HA rooms before the days when we needed them. It would be selfish on our part to expect that other DVC members should always be the ones to get the dumpster view, the room with no balcony, the unwanted HA room. And if the situation is too bad, then it is great to have the option to pay to switch.

Thanks.

We are able bodied people who have taken our turn in a HA room - as well as other "less than perfectly desirable rooms" - the entitlement in the OP makes me quite angry. Why shouldn't he take his turn like everyone else? Is he more special than the rest of us?

Personally I'd rather not go than be stuck in a HC room. However, generally speaking there are more HC rooms than people who need, request them and thus if the resort is fairly full, someone has to be there. Asking not to be in one is appropriate, demanding or being upset if that's what you get is not appropriate. A room change fee is appropriate if the unit has been used. It's part of dealing with a timeshare.

I have had dumpster views, road views, no views, long hall walks. But I don't want a HA room, nor do I or anyone else have to settle for it. I don't stay at Disney for free.

Lenc324 said:
I have had dumpster views, road views, no views, long hall walks. But I don't want a HA room, nor do I or anyone else have to settle for it. I don't stay at Disney for free.

I've had them all too
and no, I don't stay there for free either. I look at this a little differently though, I count my blessings.

Then you shouldn't own a timeshare. Being upset over this issue enough to make a scene is simply not reasonable or appropriate. And that's from someone who would truly rather skip the trip than stay in one.

We've been given more HA rooms then I can count lol. Seriously I'm not sure how we luck in to getting them, but we do. I now always ask Member Services to put a request in for "No HA rooms" when we have our children traveling with us. The only time I don't put this request on is when we are traveling by ourselves. When we have our kids everything is just to low and easier accessed for them and it causes more of a problem. On our recent stay in September it was just myself and my husband and I joked saying we'll get a HA room and wouldn't you know it we did lol.

They are definitely more difficult to deal with, but I do enjoy the more space in the room when we do have them. The only thing I'm not fond of is the shower and lack of counter space in the bathroom :).

I don't want a HA room, nor do I or anyone else have to settle for it.
For the sake of the poor CM who might have to listen to you making a fuss if there is only a HA room available, I hope you are never assigned a HA room in the future. I have seen unreasonable people at checkin and I absolutely cringe.

Asking not to be in a HA room isn't asking too much. When I am there for free I will settle for what ever is given to me. Marriott doesn't expect me to stay in a room I am not satisfied with and it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I nicely asked for a room change and it was made by phone.

Asking not to be in a HA room isn't asking too much. When I am there for free I will settle for what ever is given to me. Marriott doesn't expect me to stay in a room I am not satisfied with and it's not what you say, it's how you say it. I nicely asked for a room change and it was made by phone.
Asking is appropriate, demanding is not, IMO. The words and tone of your posts suggests the latter.

Dean:

There was no scene made.
We weren't there, glad there was no scene. I do have a question, what if they'd simply said no, would there have been one then?

Posting that I was upset and asking if anyone had the same experience doesn't denote creating a scene, and since Disney saw fit to honor my request without a charge, I was happy and let them know so.

Extremely well said. This is why JJ has always been one of my favorite Disers. I could not agree more.

HBC

Wow! I really can't believe there are this many replies to this thread. So you don't have a tub and there isn't a lot of storage space. Big deal. Be thankful you don't need a HA room. Or better yet, be thankful you don't need a HA room and one wasn't available.

Posting that I was upset and asking if anyone had the same experience doesn't denote creating a scene, and since Disney saw fit to honor my request without a charge, I was happy and let them know so.
These posts suggest otherwise.

Has anyone had a room they didn't like and then be told oh well? I got stuck in a handicapped room with a very low bed, no vanity and was told when I book I am just guaranteed a room and that they had no other rooms available. I am very unhappy.

Yes I got a new room today , but it was a real hassel. I have learned a lesson this trip. And I will never accept them telling me again that we assign rooms, we don't guareentee what room you get. You just get a room. I was soooooo pissed.
I repeat my question, what if they had just said no or required you to pay the fee to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter