Unfortunately disappointed compared to WDW resorts

But if you care more about the rest of the island, there are cheaper and better located places to stay. I think Aulani has a premium cost due to the pools, lagoon, and theming.

$500 for dinner for 5 and $1000 for the Luau is expensive even for Hawaii. Even across the street from Aulani is half that price. And I think the point was that they weren't worth the price regardless of where you are.
Here's the thing.
Hawaii is expensive. Pretty much higher than most anything else in the US. Something I'd think everyone going there would know
Disney is expensive. One of the highest priced theme parks in the US. Something I'd think everyone going there would know
Combine Disney with Hawaii and you are talking about astronomical prices for anything there that are going to be higher than just about anything else on the island.
I often think that what we get at WDW isn't "worth" the price if I really think about it. I know going in that is going to be the case. I accept it or don't go, don't buy, etc. Everything is higher than the same thing outside of WDW. It's no different in HI
So surely it can't be a surprise, can it?

Here's the thing.
Hawaii is expensive. Pretty much higher than most anything else in the US. Something I'd think everyone going there would know
Disney is expensive. One of the highest priced theme parks in the US. Something I'd think everyone going there would know
Combine Disney with Hawaii and you are talking about astronomical prices for anything there that are going to be higher than just about anything else on the island.
I often think that what we get at WDW isn't "worth" the price if I really think about it. I know going in that is going to be the case. I accept it or don't go, don't buy, etc. Everything is higher than the same thing outside of WDW. It's no different in HI
So surely it can't be a surprise, can it?
It's no coincidence that 95% of the threads like this come from DVC members.

Me, a DVC member and passholder, going to Walt Disney World with my family of 5:
- Flights $1,250
- Hotel $0
- F&B $2,000
- Merch (Varies)
- Entertainment $0
- Total $3,250 plus souvenirs

Me, a DVC member, going to Hawaii with my family of 5:
- Flights $4,000
- Hotel $0
- F&B $3,000
- Merch (Varies)
- Entertainment $2,000
- Total $9,000 plus souvenirs

You just cant expect the two to compare.

Makahiki dinner is $68 for adults and $28 for children.

I'd consider $68 dollars for a three-course meal that includes a ribeye steak a fair price in Connecticut, let alone Hawaii.

If OP really spent $500 on his Makahiki meal, he must have ordered something like $100 worth of alcohol, even if all of his kids are Disney-adults.

I'm sorry, that's just false.

Monkeypod corn soup - $12
Monkeypod ribeye steak - $53
Monkeypod desert - $11
Total Monkeypod three course per adults - $76

Aulani is absolutely expensive, but it's Hawaii-expensive. I don't think it's Hawaii-multiplied-by-a-factor-of-Disney expensive.
The steak is an exception, everything else on the Monkeypod menu is $25 or less. $68 plus tax, tip, and drinks can easily be $100 pp. And prices like that are typical around the island. $68 would also get you a much nicer steak at other restaurants.

Last edited:
It's no coincidence that 95% of the threads like this come from DVC members.

Me, a DVC member and passholder, going to Walt Disney World with my family of 5:
- Flights $1,250
- Hotel $0
- F&B $2,000
- Merch (Varies)
- Entertainment $0
- Total $3,250 plus souvenirs

Me, a DVC member, going to Hawaii with my family of 5:
- Flights $4,000
- Hotel $0
- F&B $3,000
- Merch (Varies)
- Entertainment $2,000
- Total $9,000 plus souvenirs

You just cant expect the two to compare.
I think I find it baffling that folks go in to it comparing the two trips at all.
I mean, they are not even remotely the similar, aside from both being within the DVC umbrella.
That's where the comparison should stop because they simply do not compare.
You are only setting it up to disappoint in some way by doing that. And you are spending way too much money for that.
I mean, Hawaii is Hawaii, Not Disney and not Florida.
It just happens to have a resort run by Disney there.

Just got back from Aulani, and I know this might sound like sacrilege, but I was disappointed. To be completely balanced, here is the good:

1. The weather - Without question the weather is perfect in Hawaii in August compared to Florida with daily rain storms.
2. The Landscape - Beautiful mountains and the scenic ocean view from the resort, also tops Florida.
3. The pool - No resort in WDW has a lazy river + infinity pool + beach on the ocean
4. The food - Mostly not the big box food clearly used in WDW. At WDW you can tell they are ordering in bulk for every resort/park at once.

So what was disappointing:

1. The room - I know I was staying on DVC points and we don't get cleaning service every day, but it feels like they are cutting back every way they can. No dish or hand soap in the room on check in and only 3 tiny bottles in the shower. I get more from Holiday Inn. Plus the room wasn't exactly clean enough. It wasn't dirty, and I might be nit picky, but for the best of the DVC resort, I wanted it spotless on check in. Even they get cleaning service it isn't high end. Just didn't meet my standards on this. Certainly nothing more than you get at GF, WL, BLT, etc.
2. The cost - Holy smokes is everything expensive. We are a family of 5, so a dinner at Makahiki crossed $500 for us. Not something we could do more than once, but even once wasn't worth it. The price fix menu of salad, NY steak and cheesecake wasn't worth the money. Throw in some drinks and a tip. It just wasn't worth it. And the quick serve options are also expensive. The Luau, again family of 5 here, $178/person. Basically a thousand dollars for the show. Good show, but not worth a thousand dollars.
3. The stores - So disappointing. For a property that size, how are the stores that small? The Poly for example has a much bigger store with a much better selection of items. Give me a place to get lost in my options.
4. Not enough Disney - I know they want to keep the locals happy, but you can easily forget you are at a Disney resort. I don't want to forget that. I want to be surrounded by the magic. The characters are sparse and hard to find (unless you pay extra for a character breakfast). Things like Disney movies under the stars are once a week. We just didn't have that "in the Disney bubble" feel.

Overall, we are flying 5 people from the East coast, over 11 hours to Hawaii. The cost of flight, food, rental car and sightseeing was just astronomical. When you couple that with not enough Disney feel, poor shopping options, limited food options and a room that was just "meh", and we were disappointed. For us, flight to Orlando is under two hours, a quarter of the price and we are surrounded by limitless Disney food options and shopping within WDW. Sure there is no ocean at my doorstep and Florida has the regular rain storm, but for someone not local to Orlando, there just isn't anything that compares to living in Disney for that vacation.

Just my initial thoughts. Feel free to disagree.
Yikes!

If you don’t mind sharing (and I understand completely if you don’t want to) what was the total tab for your vacation?

Just got back from Aulani, and I know this might sound like sacrilege, but I was disappointed. To be completely balanced, here is the good:

1. The weather - Without question the weather is perfect in Hawaii in August compared to Florida with daily rain storms.
2. The Landscape - Beautiful mountains and the scenic ocean view from the resort, also tops Florida.
3. The pool - No resort in WDW has a lazy river + infinity pool + beach on the ocean
4. The food - Mostly not the big box food clearly used in WDW. At WDW you can tell they are ordering in bulk for every resort/park at once.

So what was disappointing:

1. The room - I know I was staying on DVC points and we don't get cleaning service every day, but it feels like they are cutting back every way they can. No dish or hand soap in the room on check in and only 3 tiny bottles in the shower. I get more from Holiday Inn. Plus the room wasn't exactly clean enough. It wasn't dirty, and I might be nit picky, but for the best of the DVC resort, I wanted it spotless on check in. Even they get cleaning service it isn't high end. Just didn't meet my standards on this. Certainly nothing more than you get at GF, WL, BLT, etc.
2. The cost - Holy smokes is everything expensive. We are a family of 5, so a dinner at Makahiki crossed $500 for us. Not something we could do more than once, but even once wasn't worth it. The price fix menu of salad, NY steak and cheesecake wasn't worth the money. Throw in some drinks and a tip. It just wasn't worth it. And the quick serve options are also expensive. The Luau, again family of 5 here, $178/person. Basically a thousand dollars for the show. Good show, but not worth a thousand dollars.
3. The stores - So disappointing. For a property that size, how are the stores that small? The Poly for example has a much bigger store with a much better selection of items. Give me a place to get lost in my options.
4. Not enough Disney - I know they want to keep the locals happy, but you can easily forget you are at a Disney resort. I don't want to forget that. I want to be surrounded by the magic. The characters are sparse and hard to find (unless you pay extra for a character breakfast). Things like Disney movies under the stars are once a week. We just didn't have that "in the Disney bubble" feel.

Overall, we are flying 5 people from the East coast, over 11 hours to Hawaii. The cost of flight, food, rental car and sightseeing was just astronomical. When you couple that with not enough Disney feel, poor shopping options, limited food options and a room that was just "meh", and we were disappointed. For us, flight to Orlando is under two hours, a quarter of the price and we are surrounded by limitless Disney food options and shopping within WDW. Sure there is no ocean at my doorstep and Florida has the regular rain storm, but for someone not local to Orlando, there just isn't anything that compares to living in Disney for that vacation.

Just my initial thoughts. Feel free to disagree.
I think most would consider a trip for 5 to Hawaii from the east coast a once-in-a-lifetime family trip or marking major life events (honeymoon, wedding, reunion, bucket list etc). Unless you're rich, rich and then the sky is the limit for travel. It's a huge time commitment to travel there and the real draw is the location so doing a helicopter tour or hiking to a waterfall are what cement the experience of the location and make it all feel worth it. Things like the luau, big family dinner at prix fix restaurant at a resort, those are all luxury add ons that I expect to get very expensive very fas (also spa treatments etc). I'm not trying to be negative, I think your assessment that taking a family of 5 to a resort in Hawaii can be astronomically expensive is correct. Sorry you were disappointed. I always kind of thought Disney opening a Hawaiian resort was an odd choice because there are so many resorts there already and other than the resort/spa experience, it's the unique location you go for and hard to balance the brand.

Right I agree with all of that. Honestly I don't think any resort is worth the flight from anywhere if all you're going to do is the resort. You don't go on an "Aulani vacation," you go on a "Hawaii vacation" and you stay at Aulani.

You're wrong on that. Lots of people go JUST to stay at Aulani the whole time. Both my sisters do this with their families. They literally go there for 5-7 nights and do nothing else on the island. Their kids have seen the airport and Aulani. That's it. Over multiple trips.

You're wrong on that. Lots of people go JUST to stay at Aulani the whole time. Both my sisters do this with their families. They literally go there for 5-7 nights and do nothing else on the island. Their kids have seen the airport and Aulani. That's it. Over multiple trips.
And that's fine but your sisters aren't up on DISboards complaining that there's not enough to do at Aulani. They go to plop themselves in the ocean and/or pool and/or lounge chairs for a week. That's what the go in expecting, and that's what they get, and they're satisfied.

This isn't a criticism. It's my approach to Disney Cruise Line.

ETA: Also, I assume your sisters are West Coast where this is a relatively short-ish and affordable-ish flight. I love Hawaii more than pretty much anywhere in the world but I can't recommend it as a "lounge for a week" vacation for someone whose flights are 10+ hours and $1,000.

Thanks for all the input and opinions. I'll expand on my thoughts and experiences. I'm not commenting on anything outside of the resort because I don't think its fair to compare offsite Hawaii to WDW. We did lots off the resort. Byodo-In, Pearl Harbor, North Shore, Waikiki, etc. I don't want to compare the experience at Pearl Harbor to Magic Kingdom. It's a completely different experience and I knew that going in. I will never regret experiencing what Oahu had to offer. But I tend not to enjoy spending large amounts to just sight-see a location more than once. If I am returning to Aulani, that resort is what needs to draw me back, otherwise I can go to Europe, Australia, Japan, etc. to sight-see. Hence my comparison of WDW resorts vs. Aulani resort.

Coming home, I was left to ask was the amount I spent on this trip worth a return trip to Aulani? Unfortunately, for me that is a no. Glad I did it once. If Aulani is for you, I wish you nothing but joy, but if it is helpful to anyone else here is more explanation of why it wasn't (for me):

- Makahiki- I'm not doing a full review of Makahiki, but my kids are all "Disney Adults". So $68 per person. Add on drinks for 5. And I'm sorry I always do 20% tip unless the waitstaff really messes up. They don't get paid enough for me to skimp on their salary. So yeah, it passed $500. Was the food bad? No. Does price fix menus force me to choose from a limited menu that I might not want to necessarily chose an item from? Yes. Is this restaurant the only sit-down on the resort currently? Also yes. When I have the same amount of money in WDW I have countless options for food. We can head to Flying Fish, Narcoossees, Citricos, etc. All of which have better food at comparable prices, not on a price fix (at least last time we were there).

- Food overall - We did go to the ABC, Monkeypdod, Tropic Poke, Giovanni's, Leonard's, Ted's, etc. but in large part that was because we found the food there better than on the resort and less expensive. Which goes to my exact point. If I have to leave the resort to get that, then the resort losses out. I was not trying to do Hawaii on the cheap, but that doesn't mean I can't evaluate it afterwards and say, was it worth it? Two salads, 1 glass of wine (house wine, not fine wine) and one appetizer at Off the Hook cost me over $100. For salad. Nope. Sorry. The food on Aulani is not worth it.

- Luau - I'm glad I did it. I enjoyed the show. The history was great to learn about. Would I ever spend $1000 again for it? Hell no. I'm sorry no meal is worth that amount of money. If you have that amount of casual money to spend, power to you. And nobody told me to have three kids. I get it. But for me, that's too much to ever spend again on that experience. I'll take that money and put it towards a full day at the parks, or go see Cirque at Disney Springs.

- Resort - I'll be honest the quality of the room was not better than any other DVC property on WDW. Yes there are definite good things about the resort, but is it Disney Cruise Line on land? Not even close. If I am coming back to Aulani I need something more than the Four Seasons or Marriot can offer, and that is the full Disney feel. If that isn't at Aulani, and the trip is all about off the resort, I can do a VRBO or AirBNB for a lot less and still eat off property.

For my time and money, it's WDW ahead of Aulani. From the north east cost, say from New York, Boston, Toronto, the time and cost of a flight is a fraction of what it is to Oahu. I can be on resort in WDW after catching a flight, after finishing work on the same day. I have countless dining options for comparable prices. Resorts with rooms that are just as good. I can suntan by the pool just as well. PLUS, for my family, just stepping into the Orlando airport we can feel the Disney magic. Step into the Contemporary and the smell triggers something. Walk into any number of Disney shops and I have limitless shopping. That's not Aulani. For us Aulani was "a resort" on Hawaii. You have to search for the Disney. There is no skin tingles, if that makes sense. For us, for our money, for our time, its WDW. If you are someone in a similar situation, I hope this helps. If you are in a different situation, aloha and have a great time.

Lol. I am not going to do the math for my own sanity. I'm afraid to know the final cost.
I mean... this is the entire problem.

You didn't budget. You should know (or at least have a very good sense of) the "final cost" of your vacation before you book it, or at a very minimum before you leave. The fact that your vacation is over and you still don't know how much you spent means you went in entirely unprepared.

But if you care more about the rest of the island, there are cheaper and better located places to stay. I think Aulani has a premium cost due to the pools, lagoon, and theming.

$500 for dinner for 5 and $1000 for the Luau is expensive even for Hawaii. Even across the street from Aulani is half that price. And I think the point was that they weren't worth the price regardless of where you are.
I don't understand that mentality either. If someone can afford a more expensive hotel, then why shouldn't they stay there? There are lots of hotels in the same price range on the Island, including in the Waikiki area. They are not necessarily better either. And the "better location" is fallacy. It takes almost the exact same amount of time to get to the usual tourist areas, like Kualoa Ranch, and N Shore from Aulani as it does from Waikiki. Unless you are doing something right in the Waikiki area, Aulani is not in any way in a "worse" location. You would never say to someone staying at the Royal Hawaiian to split stay because it is "too expensive", but for some reason, some of you have this mentality ONLY about Aulani. Do you tell people staying at the Grand Floridian to not go to the parks because the hotel is more expensive then the All Stars? Do you see my point?

You didn't budget. You should know (or at least have a very good sense of) the "final cost" of your vacation before you book it, or at a very minimum before you leave. The fact that your vacation is over and you still don't know how much you spent means you went in entirely unprepared.
Why are you assuming they didn't budget? That sounds so patronizing. On many different things people find the cost spent is not reflective of either our expectations or our overall experience. That does not make someone inept at budgeting.

Now if someone said "yipes I had to overextend myself because I didn't realize just how much this vacation would cost" yeah your point about knowing what things costs stands, albeit not on a patronizing tone.

The OP is giving their opinion, not everyone has to agree with that opinion for sure, but repeatedly acting like the OP is just a dolt who can't do math will give anyone reading this thread looking for actual advice a poor example to go off of. I get the impression the OP is okay financially speaking on having spent the money but in the end didn't feel it was justified.

I know what I spent. Sorry if I am delicately trying to avoid posting that on the Disboards. I was prepared, but I can evaluate after the fact if I felt what I experienced is worth ever doing again. I get that we all love our vacation destination of choice, but not everyone feels the same way about the same experience. There are thousands of post about why Aulani is the greatest vacation ever. And people are entitled to that. But its only fair that I can say afterwards why I feel that, for me and my family, our vacation money is better spent at WDW. I'm glad I gave my family this experience, but my next vacation dollar isn't a return to Aulani for the various reasons I set out.

My one comment would just be about the Disney bubble aspect. TBH because Aulani is not contained within it's own resort I wouldn't have thought I was getting a bubble effect. Ko'Olina in itself is a bubble I would say but you'll have much more of the outside world than you would at WDW.

I can understand wishing there was a more overt Disney feel and that's probably what you were wanting reading your comments although toned down IMO also suits the resort. That one may come just down to personal preference. My experience with Aulani is only as a day guest back in 2016 so I'm sure things have adjusted since then and my memory no longer as pertinent.

Question is Hilton Head and Aulani comparable in how in your face (or rather at least for Aulani not so much in your face) on the Disney front? Meaning is Hilton Head also more toned down?

Question is Hilton Head and Aulani comparable in how in your face (or rather at least for Aulani not so much in your face) on the Disney front? Meaning is Hilton Head also more toned down?
I would argue that Aulani has way more "Disney theming" than Hilton Head does. Hilton Head has very minimal, if any Disney theming. No character dining, the only character you can meet is Pluto, they play Disney music at the pools, Disney themed activities, etc. At Hilton Head you're essentially at a hotel that is owned by Disney.

Personally that is something I like about it (not too in your face with the theming) but I understand that for others that is a major turn off. It's something I like about Aulani too and I agree with the other comments that have touched on it.

My wife and I took a 4 night trip to AUL in Feb. It was our first time. We had a great time -- so much so that she lists it among her top three trips ever (and we go on a lot of trips!).

Totally get a lot of what OP is saying! It is super expensive and yeah a little less "Disney" than being near the parks, but we were okay with that. I think the success of our trip was a result of some planning, cost-management, getting out of AUL and checking out some other things on the island, and rolling with the changes or unexpected hiccups along the way. We rented a car and went to Target and Costco for groceries, and didn't eat too much onsite. We're not big shoppers and were able to get some baubles and gifts at Target rather than at the AUL gift shop. We even went to Walmart, but will not go back there -- that whole area was a little sketchy.

Our room view was OK, but not great. We reserved an ocean view room but it just looked over the Luau lawn and didn't really feel as "ocean view" as we'd hoped. Still, we just rolled with it and still had a wonderful time.

In addition to AUL, we did
Diamond Head
Pearl Harbor
A Sunset Cruise from Waikiki
Some local eateries
Took a walk around the Ko Olina area resorts

The weather was awesome, the people were nice, the resort beautiful.

The pool chair situation was cutthroat.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter