Unfortunately disappointed compared to WDW resorts

Condescending much? Why does it have to be that I somehow I messed up, misjudged or didn’t budget? I tried it for myself. I judged it based on my experience. I did not enjoy it as much. I did not want Main Street. But it just wasn’t as impressive as Aulani addicts make out. Not every review needs to be praise. I have no contempt for locals. Don’t project. I simply would not spend that amount of time or money on that trip again. I can sit on a beach and suntan in the Caribbean for a lot less. I can experience other local cultures also. Why is it so hard that someone just didn’t feel it lived up to the hype for the cost. I’m not knocking you if it’s your thing. I just didn’t find it magical.

My feelings of Aulani are mixed. Went for our anniversary several years ago. Never had been to Hawaii. Did 1/2 Aulani, 1/2 Maui Westin (I believe it was their timeshares though we are not members).

Thought Hawaii itself was like an expensive Paradise. Absolutely stunning. Our January weather was not great. We didn't find Aulani food that expensive. We don't drink which helped the cost. Loved it but probably not returning as DH and I just don't care for long flights 8-9 hours and want a nonstop. And the traffic was annoying at all times.

Resort itself was lovely. We overlooked the grass area and was ocean view (not direct as we thought). I loved that we heard the live wonderful music coming from the bar area. Soothingly haunting. Aulani building actually reminded me in a strange way of Animal Kingdom Lodge. I was disappointed in the actual studio we had. Layout was angled odd (presume for the view) and seemed cramped and just OK. Amenities were scarce. The bedding was atrocious. Paper thin scratchy blanket that desperately needed to be thrown out. (went in January and it was chilly). We asked for 2 replacements and they were the same junky blankets. We ended up covering ourselves with the bed runners, which were extremely lovely. Hope they kept them. They 'made' the room. Loved them.

We were very glad we went. Being able to use DVC points was a blessing for sure.

Condescending much? Why does it have to be that I somehow I messed up, misjudged or didn’t budget? I tried it for myself. I judged it based on my experience. I did not enjoy it as much. I did not want Main Street. But it just wasn’t as impressive as Aulani addicts make out. Not every review needs to be praise. I have no contempt for locals. Don’t project. I simply would not spend that amount of time or money on that trip again. I can sit on a beach and suntan in the Caribbean for a lot less. I can experience other local cultures also. Why is it so hard that someone just didn’t feel it lived up to the hype for the cost. I’m not knocking you if it’s your thing. I just didn’t find it magical.

Some people are really defensive about Aulani. My sister is like this too.

Your review really resonated with me because I think that is EXACTLY how I'd feel about Aulani. It just does not look that impressive to me (and the rooms are SO small).

I've almost booked it several times, but every time, I change my mind. I just don't think it will appeal to us. It looks beautiful, but that's not something we actually VALUE in a vacation. We are not nature people. We don't generally go gaga over the ocean or mountains. We have gorgeous beaches right here at home, and mountains right outside our window. We rarely go to either. So, there needs to be things to DO that aren't just "hike this trail and look at waterfalls and mountains and the ocean." And what's the point of an ocean beach with no waves? Boring. My teen son likes boogie boarding. We have a waterpark literally next door with a lazy river and tons of slides. The pool area at Aulani seems boring in comparison. We have palm trees here all over the place. None of what Hawaii/Aulani offers is different enough to draw us there from Southern CA, even though it's an easy flight. I just can't get over the prices over there. I get how it's a paradise for people from places that don't have great weather or interesting scenery, but it seems like more of the same to me.

I do want to visit Hawaii, eventually, but to be honest, Waikiki appeals much more to us, along with the other side of the island over near Bellows Beach (now THAT is a beach!). My husband had to work on Oahu twice and he said Bellows was the nicest beach he has ever seen and he has been to a LOT of nice beaches. From his photos, it looks far nicer than that lagoon at Aulani. I'd maybe go to Hawaii once, and I'd much prefer to island hop and see the volcanoes and black sand beaches on the big island.

So I totally did my research, and the consensus from everyone I spoke to was that Hawaii and Aulani is overpriced and overrated. The sample group on this forum might disagree, but that was the feedback I received. I knew there were no rides and it was limited on the Disney, but completely disagree that I shouldn't compare them. Every luxury dollar I spend on one item is a dollar I could have spent on a different item, be it vacation locations, tickets to a concert or sporting event, or a new TV. Comparing vacation destinations to determine if it was worth it for me is completely reasonable. For me, Aulani it not worth the time and energy compared to WDW. I enjoy the experience more at WDW than at Aulani. I far more enjoy DCL than both. There is way more to do, see, eat, and shop at WDW than Aulani. Outside the resort, in my opinion Hawaii was "meh". Lovely mountains, yes. I've seen mountains in the Rockies, the Appalachians and Europe. I've also seen beaches, sunbathing, sunsets, the abundant homelessness, graffiti and feral chickens elsewhere. I'm glad I went. There were some great aspects. Time with family is great. But the enjoyment I got, for the cost of the trip and the length of travel was not worth it. The quality of the room, resort, service, food and shopping in no way was superior to VGF for example. If you love Hawaii and Aulani power to you, but for a group of us (particularly those not local to Florida) there is something magical in WDW that can't be found in Hawaii, the Caribbean (unless on DCL) or elsewhere. There is a reason the property can't sell out it DVC membership sales, while all the other properties quickly have. It's because DVC buyers (like everyone) can and will compare the value for their vacation time and money.
Totally get this. We have travelled all over the world, and continue to. Would we go back to Hawaii,,maybe,,but you need to try it yourself to come up with your own opinion. While we had a different take then you,,we really enjoyed it,,,it does not mean we will be jumping on going back.
We have been to many Caribbean islands,,,love Barbados,,,Cuba,not everyones fav,,,but we like,,,Nassau,,no thanks. They are all islands,,each have different feels,,,similar view,,but different.
We continue to goto WDW yearly and Greece every 4 or so. But unless you try new things,,vidoes and chats dont add up.
I am glad you went and tried,,value your take on it,,,and hope you continue to try out other areas of this great planet.
My favorite,,,and need to go again is still climbing Kilimanjaro,,and safari,,,but its not for all either.

Some get BIG mad if you have anything negative to say about Aulani around here.

Aulani studios are exactly the same size as most WDW studios.
Certainly not Polynesian Resort where I own or Riviera or Old Key West even, etc . Aulani may be the same as BCV etc., but the angled Ocean View Room we were in has furniture placed very oddly on a angle. Made room looked & felt cramped.
DD & DSIL also were surprised how small their room down the hall felt.
We were all High floor Ewa. I think it was floor 15.

Of course, it didn't help when we switched to Marriott studio that had a large kitchenette. It was a shock.

Thanks for the input about the studios. I have noticed they seem to have an awkward design when looking at the pictures online. I've also experienced that studios at some WDW resorts are inferior to the hotel rooms at the same resorts. If I ever go to Aulani, I'll make sure to book a hotel room, not a studio.

So I totally did my research, and the consensus from everyone I spoke to was that Hawaii and Aulani is overpriced and overrated. The sample group on this forum might disagree, but that was the feedback I received. I knew there were no rides and it was limited on the Disney, but completely disagree that I shouldn't compare them. Every luxury dollar I spend on one item is a dollar I could have spent on a different item, be it vacation locations, tickets to a concert or sporting event, or a new TV. Comparing vacation destinations to determine if it was worth it for me is completely reasonable. For me, Aulani it not worth the time and energy compared to WDW. I enjoy the experience more at WDW than at Aulani. I far more enjoy DCL than both. There is way more to do, see, eat, and shop at WDW than Aulani. Outside the resort, in my opinion Hawaii was "meh". Lovely mountains, yes. I've seen mountains in the Rockies, the Appalachians and Europe. I've also seen beaches, sunbathing, sunsets, the abundant homelessness, graffiti and feral chickens elsewhere. I'm glad I went. There were some great aspects. Time with family is great. But the enjoyment I got, for the cost of the trip and the length of travel was not worth it. The quality of the room, resort, service, food and shopping in no way was superior to VGF for example. If you love Hawaii and Aulani power to you, but for a group of us (particularly those not local to Florida) there is something magical in WDW that can't be found in Hawaii, the Caribbean (unless on DCL) or elsewhere. There is a reason the property can't sell out it DVC membership sales, while all the other properties quickly have. It's because DVC buyers (like everyone) can and will compare the value for their vacation time and money.
Your description gave me deja vu about my Mom. She had such a horrible outlook on life and was a miserable person, not saying that you are those things, just that your description reminded me of how she described it. She never went or had any interest in going and her reasonings where exactly like what you described. "I have seen mountains before, what do I need to go to Hawaii for". It blows my mind that anyone can compare one set of mountains to what the Hawaiian Islands look like. This is definitely a case of how a person looks at life. I am sorry that you don't see it how I see it, because I see beauty everywhere. I also feel a sense of peace when I am there.

Thanks for the input about the studios. I have noticed they seem to have an awkward design when looking at the pictures online. I've also experienced that studios at some WDW resorts are inferior to the hotel rooms at the same resorts. If I ever go to Aulani, I'll make sure to book a hotel room, not a studio.
Aulani units have two different "shapes" depending on what wing of which buildings they're in. We last had a two bedroom villa with one large, straight balcony with three entrances across the master bedroom, the living room, and the second bedroom. Other two bedrooms have two angled balconies. Studios are similar.

Certainly not Polynesian Resort where I own or Riviera or Old Key West even, etc .
Poly, Riviera, and Old Key West are unusually large (not to mention Riviera Tower Studios which are tiny). Copper Creek and Bay Lake Tower are unusually small. Everything else is pretty close in the middle.

Some get BIG mad if you have anything negative to say about Aulani around here.
I don't get mad, it is just strange that some people don't/can't see the beauty of it. But as another poster said, they live somewhere that has beautiful nature. If you lived where I do, in the middle of nothing, no mountains, no water, no trees, etc basically a city in a farm area, then you tend to appreciate the nature aspect of other places more. It is like the people in Italy that hate the colosseum because it is just a hassle for them when the rest of the world appreciates the history of it. I think that people exposed to natural beauty lose their appreciation for it. Which kind of makes me sad. I can't imagine going to Hawaii and not feeling the peace and serenity of the place. Maybe that is why many of the locals hate tourists, they always claim that tourists don't respect the land.

it is just strange that some people don't/can't see the beauty of it.
Is it strange that people don't even care for Disney at all? Like they have no interest in the parks much less Aulani? Because that comprises of most of the people I've been around my whole life.

Different things work for different people. No sense in berating someone for theirs with respects to not liking Aulani. All it means is more room for you :)

I don't get mad, it is just strange that some people don't/can't see the beauty of it. But as another poster said, they live somewhere that has beautiful nature. If you lived where I do, in the middle of nothing, no mountains, no water, no trees, etc basically a city in a farm area, then you tend to appreciate the nature aspect of other places more. It is like the people in Italy that hate the colosseum because it is just a hassle for them when the rest of the world appreciates the history of it. I think that people exposed to natural beauty lose their appreciation for it. Which kind of makes me sad. I can't imagine going to Hawaii and not feeling the peace and serenity of the place. Maybe that is why many of the locals hate tourists, they always claim that tourists don't respect the land.
You are comparing a person who made some relatively milquetoast criticisms of Hawaii/ Aulani to your mother who was a “miserable person”. Your comment speaks for itself.

I think Hawaii is lovely.

But Aulani is not everyone’s cup of tea. And the vitriol and personal attacks directed at people who dare not to adhere to the unwavering love and devotion to Aulani are not appropriate.

Your description gave me deja vu about my Mom. She had such a horrible outlook on life and was a miserable person, not saying that you are those things, just that your description reminded me of how she described it. She never went or had any interest in going and her reasonings where exactly like what you described. "I have seen mountains before, what do I need to go to Hawaii for". It blows my mind that anyone can compare one set of mountains to what the Hawaiian Islands look like. This is definitely a case of how a person looks at life. I am sorry that you don't see it how I see it, because I see beauty everywhere. I also feel a sense of peace when I am there.
Some people get it
Some people don’t
It has nothing at all to do with defending Disney, Alauni, or anything.
It’s the way some approach all things in their life.
You either go in looking for joy and positive things or you don’t
Sometimes it’s as simple as finding what you are looking for

Holy condescending meatballs Batman. I can see beauty in the world. I'm not miserable. A good country song can still bring a tear to my eye. Please don't project your relationships with your parents on me. I don't know why this is so hard for people. I said all the great things about the trip in my first post. The mountains are beautiful. But all things considered, for me it is overhyped and not worth the cost. Sorry if I find the Swiss Alps or the Rockies just as lovely. Sorry if travelling 6 times zones sucks. I'm glad I went. I'm glad I experienced it. I'm not racist to locals. I don't hate animals or small children. I didn't blow my kids college fund in a fit of unpreparedness. I simply didn't get that tingly skin sensation, religious angels singing experience that others have. For me it was good. Not great. Not amazing. Not worth more time and money than a trip to WDW, DCL, DL, DL Paris, Europe or the Caribbean. Some people love caviar. Others try it, and say its expensive fish eggs.

And with that . . . I say good day.

The hotel rooms are even small, though. No daybeds like so many of the Disney deluxe resorts at WDW and DLR have. We'd need 2 rooms at Aulani. Our teens can't share a bed. That makes it even more expensive.

Is it strange that people don't even care for Disney at all? Like they have no interest in the parks much less Aulani? Because that comprises of most of the people I've been around my whole life.

Different things work for different people. No sense in berating someone for theirs with respects to not liking Aulani. All it means is more room for you :)
I am talking about the natural beauty of Hawaii. Another poster was saying that "they have seen mountains", so the ones on Hawaii are not impressive to them. This was not about Aulani, and if you actually read my post, you would see that I was referring to the Island.

You are comparing a person who made some relatively milquetoast criticisms of Hawaii/ Aulani to your mother who was a “miserable person”. Your comment speaks for itself.

I think Hawaii is lovely.

But Aulani is not everyone’s cup of tea. And the vitriol and personal attacks directed at people who dare not to adhere to the unwavering love and devotion to Aulani are not appropriate.
I said that their post reminded me of my mom. Again, reading comprehension. They had that same mentality about Hawaii that my mom had and I even said that I was not saying that THEY were miserable, just that my mom was.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!