Unfortunately disappointed compared to WDW resorts

I would argue that Aulani has way more "Disney theming" than Hilton Head does.
Yeah people need to define the question when they say "Disney theming."

If you think "Disney theming" means Chef Mickey's and Art of Animation, that's one thing. If you think "Disney theming" means Animal Kingdom Lodge and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, that's another thing.

Hilton Head has very little of either type. Aulani has relatively little of the first type. I'd argue that they have more of the second type than any place outside of Tokyo.

Yeah people need to define the question when they say "Disney theming."

If you think "Disney theming" means Chef Mickey's and Art of Animation, that's one thing. If you think "Disney theming" means Animal Kingdom Lodge and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, that's another thing.

Hilton Head has very little of either type. Aulani has relatively little of the first type. I'd argue that they have more of the second type than any place outside of Tokyo.
When I hear people say "Disney theming", I assume they mean Art of Animation or All Star Movies. I see plenty of people criticize resorts such as OKW, Saratoga, Beach/Yacht and Boardwalk as examples of resorts without Disney theming. A lot of people want that "in your face" theming with Disney characters and that's perfectly fine, I don't see any fault in that. Tokyo Disneyland just opened a Toy Story hotel that is full to the brim with that type of theming.

Hilton Head barely has any Disney theming and while I don't mind, I do see why others think that's a negative. Aulani has a good balance of Disney theming and Hawaiian in my opinion. I think it's one of the best themed hotels Disney has ever made.

I mean... this is the entire problem.

You didn't budget. You should know (or at least have a very good sense of) the "final cost" of your vacation before you book it, or at a very minimum before you leave. The fact that your vacation is over and you still don't know how much you spent means you went in entirely unprepared.
I respectfully disagree. The problem is not about the money/ budget. its about what the OP didnt receive in exchange for said money. The quality/value was not worth it vis a vis quality at WDW.
If i decide i want to have 3 drinks instead of one or spend $1000 shopping instead of $300 so be it bc items purchased are of value to me. If I eat at Sanna and hate it then im bummed out and won't return no matter how little i spent.. but if I spend substantialy more having sushi & drinks at Poly , and fully enjoy, then absolutely worth it for me and won't have any regrets.
I will know fixed costs like flight/fuel, transfers, character meals but i can't budget for quality, cleanliness and value.
I love love VGF & Vero. Totally different experiences but both are top notch in service, cleanliness & value.
Also, vero has limited food options and I've never once left the resort to eat. I felt satisfied enough not to leave. If I had to leave Vero to eat in the evenings, I probably would never return.

When I hear people say "Disney theming", I assume they mean Art of Animation or All Star Movies. I see plenty of people criticize resorts such as OKW, Saratoga, Beach/Yacht and Boardwalk as examples of resorts without Disney theming. A lot of people want that "in your face" theming with Disney characters and that's perfectly fine, I don't see any fault in that. Tokyo Disneyland just opened a Toy Story hotel that is full to the brim with that type of theming.

Hilton Head barely has any Disney theming and while I don't mind, I do see why others think that's a negative. Aulani has a good balance of Disney theming and Hawaiian in my opinion. I think it's one of the best themed hotels Disney has ever made.
I'm a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato fan, let me tell you about "lack of Disney theming" lol!

The problem is not about the money/ budget. its about what the OP didnt receive in exchange for said money. The quality/value was not worth it vis a vis quality at WDW.
They're disparate experiences that ought not be compared. You can buy toothpaste and you can buy Windex, but how do you compare the two? If you buy Windex expecting it to be like toothpaste, you're going to be disappointed and it's nobody's fault but your own.

With regard to quality... Wow. Aulani is superior in quality to Walt Disney World hotels in every conceivable way. You can debate value all day long because value is subjective, but the comparison of quality is not close.

I have not been Aulani, but I have been to Hawaii. It is expensive, everything was expensive when I was there in 1976, everythihg is importeed from elsewhere, be it the US mainland or other countries. The prices you listed actually seeem to be in line (allowing for inflation) with what we paid in 1976, It is an expensive trip. Fortunately, I lived in the Los Angeles area at the time, so it was "only" a 5 hour flight. I'd love to go again, but it would be at least an 8+ hour flight from Texas, and while I'm sure to do it sometime, the thought of that flight is what is keeping my from going to Hawaii often.

As far as being in the magic, I don't want to be "over Disneyfied" in Hawaii, in fact, even at Disney I like the more understated OKW or AKL vs the over DIsney character themed rooms at some other resorts.

I'm sorry the OP was disapppointed, but I do think their expectations may have been a bit high, given there are no theme parks associated with Aulani....it is a free standing DVC resort, like HHI and VB. Don't expect the same level of "things to do" if you don't have theme parks and rides. You did have a luau, which are always pricey, no matter where they are in Hawaii. Even the Luau at WDW was over $100 for good seats the last time I went, and I would expect it to be much more in Hawaii.

Last edited:
If I ever go to Aulani it will be as part of a broader trip to Hawaii, not a standalone experience. I agree that it doesn't offer enough to support an entire extended vacation, but maybe that was the intention when it was built? For it to be a nice Disney resort to stay at during a greater Hawaiian vacation, not the entire destination itself?

Last edited:

I have not been Aulani, but I have been to Hawaii. It is expensive, everything was expensive when I was there ijn 1976, everythihg is importeed from elsewhere, be it the US mainland or other countries. The prices you listed actually seeem to be in line (allowing for inflation) with what we paid in 1976, It is an expensive trip. Fortunately, I lived in the Los Angeles area at the time, so it was "only" a 5 hour flight. I'd love to go again, but it would be at least an 8+ hour flight from Texas, and while I'm sure do it sometime, the thought of that flight is what is keeping my from going to Hawaii often.

As far as being in the magic, I don't want to be "over Disneyfied" in Hawaii, in fact, even at Disney I like the more understated OKW of AKL vs the over DIsney character themed rooms at some other resorts.

I'm sorry the OP was disapppointed, but I do think their expectations may have been a bit high, given there are no theme parks associated with Aulani....it is a free standing DVC resort, like HHI and VB. Don't expect the same level of "things to do" if you don't have theme parks and rides. You did have a luau, which are always pricey, no matter where they are in Hawaii. Even the Luau at WDW was over $100 for good seats the last time I went, and I would expect it to be much more in Hawaii.
This summarizes my feelings well and I've largely said my piece, so I'll bow out of the conversation after this post.

It's perfectly reasonable to not like Hawaii in general or Aulani in particular. It's perfectly reasonable to like Hawaii in general or Aulani in particular but not think it's worth the hassle or cost. Not everything is for everyone, and that's fine. But I don't think it's reasonable to criticize Aulani for not being like Walt Disney World because nobody ever said it would be.

I don't understand why the place you stay impacts your ability to experience the rest of the island. If you stay at Aulani, you're not CONFINED to Aulani.
OK, here we go! I was waiting for the Captain to enter this thread.

Fellow Aussie here.

We are about to do our second trip to Aulani, BUT I would absolutely not travel from Australia to Hawaii specifically for Aulani.

As part of a trip to Oahu, it's great. But if we happen to be spending 10 days on the island, we might spend 3 nights at Aulani and a week elseh

Fellow Aussie here.

We are about to do our second trip to Aulani, BUT I would absolutely not travel from Australia to Hawaii specifically for Aulani.

As part of a trip to Oahu, it's great. But if we happen to be spending 10 days on the island, we might spend 3 nights at Aulani and a week elsehwere.
Thank you for this. I think that for the kind of holiday we want Aulani is probably not good for us atm, but maybe one day...

I'm sorry you were disappointed in your stay. Your points are valid, I may not agree with all of them but that doesn't make my points more valid than yours. Perhaps you should have done a bit more research about Aulani and Hawaii in general before going, but that's a moot point too. The whole 'Aulani isn't enough Disney' is a point that is brought up a lot by travelers, mainly ones who haven't done their research.
I'm totally biased, I love Hawaii, travelled there many times before we became DVC members at Aulani so obvs my views are clouded by my love of all things Aulani and Hawaii ;-) I do hope that in the end you did still have a truly lovely vacation and now you know, Aulani is one and done for your family. We gotta try these things out, right? At the end of the day Aulani is not a theme park, WDW IS a theme park and while a few comparisons can be made, it's definitely not an apples to apples situation.

Just got back from Aulani, and I know this might sound like sacrilege, but I was disappointed. To be completely balanced, here is the good:

1. The weather - Without question the weather is perfect in Hawaii in August compared to Florida with daily rain storms.
2. The Landscape - Beautiful mountains and the scenic ocean view from the resort, also tops Florida.
3. The pool - No resort in WDW has a lazy river + infinity pool + beach on the ocean
4. The food - Mostly not the big box food clearly used in WDW. At WDW you can tell they are ordering in bulk for every resort/park at once.

So what was disappointing:

1. The room - I know I was staying on DVC points and we don't get cleaning service every day, but it feels like they are cutting back every way they can. No dish or hand soap in the room on check in and only 3 tiny bottles in the shower. I get more from Holiday Inn. Plus the room wasn't exactly clean enough. It wasn't dirty, and I might be nit picky, but for the best of the DVC resort, I wanted it spotless on check in. Even they get cleaning service it isn't high end. Just didn't meet my standards on this. Certainly nothing more than you get at GF, WL, BLT, etc.
2. The cost - Holy smokes is everything expensive. We are a family of 5, so a dinner at Makahiki crossed $500 for us. Not something we could do more than once, but even once wasn't worth it. The price fix menu of salad, NY steak and cheesecake wasn't worth the money. Throw in some drinks and a tip. It just wasn't worth it. And the quick serve options are also expensive. The Luau, again family of 5 here, $178/person. Basically a thousand dollars for the show. Good show, but not worth a thousand dollars.
3. The stores - So disappointing. For a property that size, how are the stores that small? The Poly for example has a much bigger store with a much better selection of items. Give me a place to get lost in my options.
4. Not enough Disney - I know they want to keep the locals happy, but you can easily forget you are at a Disney resort. I don't want to forget that. I want to be surrounded by the magic. The characters are sparse and hard to find (unless you pay extra for a character breakfast). Things like Disney movies under the stars are once a week. We just didn't have that "in the Disney bubble" feel.

Overall, we are flying 5 people from the East coast, over 11 hours to Hawaii. The cost of flight, food, rental car and sightseeing was just astronomical. When you couple that with not enough Disney feel, poor shopping options, limited food options and a room that was just "meh", and we were disappointed. For us, flight to Orlando is under two hours, a quarter of the price and we are surrounded by limitless Disney food options and shopping within WDW. Sure there is no ocean at my doorstep and Florida has the regular rain storm, but for someone not local to Orlando, there just isn't anything that compares to living in Disney for that vacation.

Just my initial thoughts. Feel free to disagree.
Personally, I wouldn’t want the characters running around any more than they do already. Do you want rides there too? Re the cost, as has been noted, prices are high everywhere on the islands. Our room has always been clean upon arrival. If yours wasn’t, a quick call to housekeeping should have taken care of the issue.

Though you mention the landscape in passing, the entire location is entirely magical, with the multiple lagoons, the walkway along the beach, the pool area, the sunsets, and all the things to do throughout Oahu. I think the stores are pretty good as well, with a nice selection of Aulani merchandise. Seems to me your positives far outweigh the negatives, but maybe you’re missing the theme park experience, in which case you should have never booked Aulani.

The only thing I will agree with you more movies under the star seems to be a no-brainer I think they should have nightly entertainment on the lawn besides luau I would like to have watched more Disney movies with my family we really enjoyed that aspect of it.

Otherwise I thought It was pretty perfect in my opinion

The only thing I will agree with you more movies under the star seems to be a no-brainer I think they should have nightly entertainment on the lawn besides luau I would like to have watched more Disney movies with my family we really enjoyed that aspect of it.

Otherwise I thought It was pretty perfect in my opinion
Agreed! They should do more with that lawn. It’s a nice place for additional activities. Maybe occasionally give guests a chance to screen the first episode of a new Disney+ show before it premieres. We’d go.
Or…..Here’s an idea! Use it to build a Moana themed dark ride! Or a dumbo spinner with little miniature outrigger canoes instead of elephants. Or a the biggest tiki room ever! Ha. Kidding.

I’m one of the minority who think that Aulani is only ok. Love the emphasis on the Hawaiian aspect but think that it is overrated on the whole.

We’re Australian and have been to Oahu over 27-ish times and Aulani around 4 or 5. When our kids were littlies - ie 6, 4 and 2 Aulani was fine but only for a split stay, never just solely at Aulani. Plus we always have a car and travel, even if it’s just to Kapolei for breakfast or dinner etc.

Once our kids hit 10, 8 and 6 they were over Aulani - in fact they thought the Marriott down the road just as good. They never enjoyed Aunty’s - for them it was a one and done thing so we’re happy with the lagoon / pools / slides.

Oahu as a whole is a completely different subject - our kids adore the place. Due to school commitments then Covid we haven’t been since 2018 and our kids, now aged 17, 15 and 12, constantly ask when we are returning.

This summarizes my feelings well and I've largely said my piece, so I'll bow out of the conversation after this post.

It's perfectly reasonable to not like Hawaii in general or Aulani in particular. It's perfectly reasonable to like Hawaii in general or Aulani in particular but not think it's worth the hassle or cost. Not everything is for everyone, and that's fine. But I don't think it's reasonable to criticize Aulani for not being like Walt Disney World because nobody ever said it would be.

So I totally did my research, and the consensus from everyone I spoke to was that Hawaii and Aulani is overpriced and overrated. The sample group on this forum might disagree, but that was the feedback I received. I knew there were no rides and it was limited on the Disney, but completely disagree that I shouldn't compare them. Every luxury dollar I spend on one item is a dollar I could have spent on a different item, be it vacation locations, tickets to a concert or sporting event, or a new TV. Comparing vacation destinations to determine if it was worth it for me is completely reasonable. For me, Aulani it not worth the time and energy compared to WDW. I enjoy the experience more at WDW than at Aulani. I far more enjoy DCL than both. There is way more to do, see, eat, and shop at WDW than Aulani. Outside the resort, in my opinion Hawaii was "meh". Lovely mountains, yes. I've seen mountains in the Rockies, the Appalachians and Europe. I've also seen beaches, sunbathing, sunsets, the abundant homelessness, graffiti and feral chickens elsewhere. I'm glad I went. There were some great aspects. Time with family is great. But the enjoyment I got, for the cost of the trip and the length of travel was not worth it. The quality of the room, resort, service, food and shopping in no way was superior to VGF for example. If you love Hawaii and Aulani power to you, but for a group of us (particularly those not local to Florida) there is something magical in WDW that can't be found in Hawaii, the Caribbean (unless on DCL) or elsewhere. There is a reason the property can't sell out it DVC membership sales, while all the other properties quickly have. It's because DVC buyers (like everyone) can and will compare the value for their vacation time and money.

So I totally did my research, and the consensus from everyone I spoke to was that Hawaii and Aulani is overpriced and overrated. The sample group on this forum might disagree, but that was the feedback I received. I knew there were no rides and it was limited on the Disney, but completely disagree that I shouldn't compare them. Every luxury dollar I spend on one item is a dollar I could have spent on a different item, be it vacation locations, tickets to a concert or sporting event, or a new TV. Comparing vacation destinations to determine if it was worth it for me is completely reasonable. For me, Aulani it not worth the time and energy compared to WDW. I enjoy the experience more at WDW than at Aulani. I far more enjoy DCL than both. There is way more to do, see, eat, and shop at WDW than Aulani. Outside the resort, in my opinion Hawaii was "meh". Lovely mountains, yes. I've seen mountains in the Rockies, the Appalachians and Europe. I've also seen beaches, sunbathing, sunsets, the abundant homelessness, graffiti and feral chickens elsewhere. I'm glad I went. There were some great aspects. Time with family is great. But the enjoyment I got, for the cost of the trip and the length of travel was not worth it. The quality of the room, resort, service, food and shopping in no way was superior to VGF for example. If you love Hawaii and Aulani power to you, but for a group of us (particularly those not local to Florida) there is something magical in WDW that can't be found in Hawaii, the Caribbean (unless on DCL) or elsewhere. There is a reason the property can't sell out it DVC membership sales, while all the other properties quickly have. It's because DVC buyers (like everyone) can and will compare the value for their vacation time and money.
Not sure why you even went with such negative research, especially since you clearly missed the heavily Disney themed park experience, with all the characters and theme park shops. I suggest you never go again.

Last edited:
Outside the resort, in my opinion Hawaii was "meh".
That is certainly an opinion a person can have.

The quality of the room, resort, service, food and shopping in no way was superior to VGF for example.
This is shocking to me from someone who says their favorite Disney vacation is DCL. In my experience, the Aulani cast members are far superior to DLR and WDW. Not quite as amazing as Cruise Line, but I haven't seen a service staff anywhere quite as excellent as DCL. I'm bummed you didn't have the same experience.

Regarding the physical resort, the materials, fit, and finish at Aulani are superior to what Disney does in Orlando.

I don't understand why you keep talking about shopping and dining. Aulani is ONE hotel. Walt Disney World is 30 hotels and four theme parks. Compare Aulani to VGF if you want, but comparing it to WDW overall is just silly.

there is something magical in WDW that can't be found in Hawaii
I'm sad that you didn't find anything unique and magical in Hawaii. But judging by the way you referred to "the locals" with such contempt in your first post, I'm not surprised. Everything that makes Hawaii special (most notably, Hawaiians) seems to be what you disliked about the place.

That is certainly an opinion a person can have.

This is shocking to me from someone who says their favorite Disney vacation is DCL. In my experience, the Aulani cast members are far superior to DLR and WDW. Not quite as amazing as Cruise Line, but I haven't seen a service staff anywhere quite as excellent as DCL. I'm bummed you didn't have the same experience.

Regarding the physical resort, the materials, fit, and finish at Aulani are superior to what Disney does in Orlando.

I don't understand why you keep talking about shopping and dining. Aulani is ONE hotel. Walt Disney World is 30 hotels and four theme parks. Compare Aulani to VGF if you want, but comparing it to WDW overall is just silly.

I'm sad that you didn't find anything unique and magical in Hawaii. But judging by the way you referred to "the locals" with such contempt in your first post, I'm not surprised. Everything that makes Hawaii special (most notably, Hawaiians) seems to be what you disliked about the place.
I truly think OP might have wanted rides and some sort of Main Street with cheap fast food and a hundred shops.

If you don't like Hawaii why did you go to Hawaii? Sure sounds like above you knew going in there was little about it you liked. Going just to check it off a list is no reason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter