Ugg...LICE and we leave in a week!

I am glad we dont have all of that in the uk! I do however wish we still had the nitnurse... my dd6 has had nits countless times since she started school ( 2 weeks afterwards) I dread to think how long she would of had to have off if our kids had to stay off school:confused:

Good luck treating your ds, I find base oil with combing works well

Sarah x

Do a search for Fairy Tales hair care!:thumbsup2

We use the leave in conditioner spray everyday on our three kids. I also lightly spray their backpacks and coats once a week. We use the shampoo for our daughter as well since she has long hair. Head and Shoulders on the boys...a school teacher's tip to help prevent head lice.

Could be a coincidence but, I have been using it for 2 years now and I have many friends that have been using it longer. They all swear by it.

I used Nix on DD when she had them in Kindergarten (outbreak in her classroom). It took 2 treatments over the week, combing out with a nit comb every evening and they were gone. I did trim her long down her back hair to chin length to make it easier to deal with.

I also had to bag up all stuffed animals for a week and then wash the ones that could be washed in hot water, scrub down everywhere she was and vaccuumed the living room furniture and car where she sat. Her 2 fav. cloth dolls that she slept with got baths in the washing machine in hot water. That was actually the most hard part to deal with since she was all upset and worried her dolls would be ruined. Luckily they came thru just fine.

Been there done that. It isnt as bad as you think. My daughter and wife had ait a couple of times. I had it as a kid. Each time my wife and daughter had them my son and I buzzed our hair to 1/8 inch high. The little buggers cant live on hair that short lol. So im told. My wife got it from therapy. Apparantly they dont clean there pillows and share them with all patents. My daughter i dont think we ever found out where they came from. My wife kept checking us over and soon enough they were clear. The school was good about it and they checked everyone. We did as the other posters did so I wont go into what we did to get rid of them. I just wanted you to know we have all been there.

My dd came up w/lice the day before her 6th b-day. I did treat her w/Rid, but i really didn't want to, didn't know what else to do. Here's what I did and we did not have any recurrence: Put a towel on the couch where she was in the evenings and threw it in the wash when she went to bed. put her pillow in the dryer on high every day and washed all of her bedding in hot water every day. yes it's a pain. metal lice comb, and the part both of my children liked, no hairwashing for a week! I know other posters have mentioned they like clean hair, so all of us except DH skipped hair washing trying to make the environment as inhospitable as possible. I also used a flat iron on her hair b/c they cannot survive the heat and hair dryers can't get hot enough w/o burning their scalp. Stuffed animals were sent to live in the garage in a big tub. I also bought some tea tree oil and mixed up a shampoo of tea tree oil and baby shampoo. I was very thankful we didn't have a recurrence, but I feel your pain. It is horrible and disgusting and the bad part is it's so stigmatized. They are gross and repulsive critters, but they only like the clean hair. good luck to you. I know you'll knock it out, you just have to be very vigilant and persistent with your laundry for a few weeks.

LICE ARE PESTS. DON'T FOOL AROUND WITH TRYING TO DO THING HALF WAY.

1) Shave everyone's head that can be shaved. Son, husband, etc.
2) Get CRISCO. Cover all your heads with it. Sounds weird, but it sufficates the buggers. Leave it in for hours.
3) Remove all bedding, clothes, etc. from the rooms. Don't put them in one big pile. Rather, seperate them from each other so that something in your son's sheets don't infect someone elses sheets.
4) I recommend you throw out the pillow cases. Others will say just wash them. It's your choice.
5) Throw out everything that you reasonably can. (Old worn clothes that don't quite fit, t-shirts with stains that were going to become rags, etc.) Use this as a way to do "spring cleaning"

6) For the stuff remaining, wash in hot water.

7 Keep everyone seperated.

Good Luck.

Update....well, today when I combed through his hair, he was nit free. I have washed everything, twice. vacuumed, threw out the bags. Bagged up all his toys, they are in the basement. Did the treatment, and then he slept with Listerine in his hair for two nights. Thank goodness we have leather furniture! Poor kid is so tired of me combing through his hair, as I do it about four times a day! Husband's hair is buzzed, so he doesn't have a problem. DH keeps checking me, and seeing nothing...although I think I am just itching by association at this point! Thanks so much for all the tips. Since everything has been isolated, I am hoping we will be in the clear by the time we get back. After all, from what I read, they can't live for more than a few days without having a "host". We'll keep being diligent, and hopefully have been through this outbreak!

Thanks so much for all the suggestions!!

You should be fine by the time you get back. Nits hatch in about a week and Lice need blood to survive, they normally die off in 3-4 days without food. We don't use Nix or Rid, they just don't work here anymore...they are seriously immune. I've used mayo with a shower cap overnight and white vinegar to strip the nits, that works but it's messy. We use tea tree oil, just massage it on the scalp and the bugs stay away. See Lice like clean nice smelling heads, if they smell the tea tree oil they stay away. :) I don't toss our pillowcases or bedding, instead I wash the bedding every other day and put the pillows in plastic covers and cover the mattress with a plastic cover. I used to use a garbage bag on the pillow, just tied it over the pillow and put the pillowcase on top, it worked great. Take all the stuffies/toys/decorative pillows from the bed and put them in plastic bags for a few weeks, if there's a certain special stuffie run it thru the dryer on high heat for 20-30 min daily until they are gone. I'm glad you seem to be cleared up, seems it was a mild case which is always good! :)

This is one reason I'm glad our school does a head check every Monday morning. My head is itching just reading this tread.

I hope you get it all under control. I remember my mom using kerosene on us as kids. We also used Rid or Nix once too.

OOhhh! I remember the kerosene treatment for lice when I was a child too. I had them 2 - 3 times (thick, curly clean hair - they loved me!!!).

Do a search for Fairy Tales hair care!:thumbsup2

We use the leave in conditioner spray everyday on our three kids. I also lightly spray their backpacks and coats once a week. We use the shampoo for our daughter as well since she has long hair. Head and Shoulders on the boys...a school teacher's tip to help prevent head lice.

Could be a coincidence but, I have been using it for 2 years now and I have many friends that have been using it longer. They all swear by it.

I've been dying to talk to someone who uses this product. How does it smell? We have some natural bug spray we bought with the same ingredients and the smell is unbearable. I've been reluctant to buy these hair products for fear of the same. How strong it is?

I dealt with this a couple times with my youngest DD. Her hair was so thick and curly too. My best advice is use olive oil. Then use the combs for lice and start from the bottom up and comb out but in small stands. clip up hair and take out strands like straightening it.(unless you have a boy, sorry don't remember what I read.lol) Then the parts you have combed through pull into a pony tail. When done put on shower cap. Wash out the next day and you will notice the oil isn't easy but better to have it a little oily than bugs. Repeat within two weeks.
Oh when doing this keep a towel on your lap so that any lice that are combed out or jump end up on towel and then wash in hot water and dry on high heat a couple hours. They can hold their breath and such so better safe than sorry.
Bedding. I bought allergy pillow covers after washing or if not able to wash just dry for an hour at least and then cover. Spray bed and cover with plastic sheet. Wash all bedding and spray all areas your child sits and plays. This was the only way we got rid of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter