Uber

Interesting thread

I'm in my late 30s, husband is in his 40s, friends and coworkers are in their 30s-50s..we all take uber a lot and none of us tip. Uber really was launched as a cashless system. One of the reasons it's safer for drivers is they don't carry large amounts of cash like taxis and are less susceptible to robbery- it's literally in ubers marketing material to new drivers. It is a rare occurrence that any of us have cash. My husband has an emergency $100 stuffed in his wallet just in case but between credit cards and Apple Pay I haven't used cash to pay for anything in over 6 months. Ubers app doesn't offer tipping showing that the company does not expect tips (if they expected tips you'd add it the way you do a restaurant payment in the app).

I think it's fine if people want to tip their uber driver BUT it is not considered a service for which a tip is customary.

On an off shoot this reminds me of the discussion about tipping for Sonic and I think it reflects the transition to a cashless society which is occurring at different speeds in different areas and demographics.

This just about sums it up for me. Everything about Uber was touted as a cashless system. If I have an extra couple of dollars handy then I'll tip, but I don't go out of my way to make sure I have cash on had to tip the driver. That defeats the whole cashless convenience. Because of our tipping culture, I do feel bad about it but just go with what I think is their intended system. Now if along with the rating after the trip there was the ability to add tip on the account then I would absolutely end up doing that.

I almost never carry cash. I usually take some out when traveling or if I go to a new salon (a few won't add tip on CC) but even most cabs these days will let you add tips to CCs.

I love Uber in general though. I am always less pleased when I have to take a regular cab. Plus for some reason as an often single female, I have felt safer/more at ease in an Uber at night.

This is really O/T.... yesterday I was at Panera, and when I swiped my debit card, the screen asked if I want to give a tip. I thought it was really strange that I would even consider giving a tip at Panera. It would be like giving a tip at Mcdonalds.

It's a cashless system. You have to have a card registered on the app. It's all very easy.

As for tipping - I have never tipped, nor do I know anyone who has ever tipped (and I live in LA, we use Uber here all the time).
I see that this thread is a little bit old but hopefully you could still help me out. We're tentatively planning a trip to L.A. and DLR for Christmas, likely staying neat Knott's in Buena Park. We've never been in SoCal without a rental car but the prices I'm seeing are breath-taking. :scared1:

How much do Uber rides cost? For example from LAX to the hotel, from the hotel to DLR, from the hotel to the Universal area, hotel to Santa Monica, etc.? Is this a practical way to travel around the area or do I just suck it up and book the $100/day rental car? TIA :wave2:

I see that this thread is a little bit old but hopefully you could still help me out. We're tentatively planning a trip to L.A. and DLR for Christmas, likely staying neat Knott's in Buena Park. We've never been in SoCal without a rental car but the prices I'm seeing are breath-taking. :scared1:

How much do Uber rides cost? For example from LAX to the hotel, from the hotel to DLR, from the hotel to the Universal area, hotel to Santa Monica, etc.? Is this a practical way to travel around the area or do I just suck it up and book the $100/day rental car? TIA :wave2:

With the uber app you can type in the locations and get an estimate before you call for the ride. It may not be your exact rate, but would give you an idea.

With the uber app you can type in the locations and get an estimate before you call for the ride. It may not be your exact rate, but would give you an idea.
Thanks, I guess we'll look into it. We don't have the app downloaded because Uber doesn't operate in our city (municipal by-laws prohibit commercial ride-sharing).

Thanks for all the replies, for this particular situation where I needed an Uber, we found a person who was also going and he was willing to drive the extra 12 miles R/T from his house to pick up my son. We pay him $10 each Tue for the trip. Less than Uber, and we know him. Win-win.

We may still need Uber for this particular son in the future though, so glad to read the replies.

Kind of OT. I had set up an Uber account last November before our WDW trip. We ended up not using Uber thanks to a cab voucher from a very nice CM at our resort. Anyway, a few weeks ago I got an email from Uber saying I had changed my name and phone number. Except I hadn't. I looked at 'my' account and my new name was Jose. And the phone number has a New York area code. Thankfully the credit card I had originally entered had expired. Jose took several trips. One was $95 and the other was over $150. I later got an email that the $95 trip payment was refused. After many weeks of emailing back and forth, Uber finally was able to let me cancel my account. My email and passwords for the account weren't simple so I'm not sure how they were hacked. So, long story short too late, right?), keep check if any accounts you have with a credit card attached.

Kind of OT. I had set up an Uber account last November before our WDW trip. We ended up not using Uber thanks to a cab voucher from a very nice CM at our resort. Anyway, a few weeks ago I got an email from Uber saying I had changed my name and phone number. Except I hadn't. I looked at 'my' account and my new name was Jose. And the phone number has a New York area code. Thankfully the credit card I had originally entered had expired. Jose took several trips. One was $95 and the other was over $150. I later got an email that the $95 trip payment was refused. After many weeks of emailing back and forth, Uber finally was able to let me cancel my account. My email and passwords for the account weren't simple so I'm not sure how they were hacked. So, long story short too late, right?), keep check if any accounts you have with a credit card attached.
:scared1: Extremely good to know; thanks.

There are websites to calculate approximate uber/taxi rates. Google uber fare estimate and taxi fare estimate. You can see why people are taking uber.

I'm late 30s and am not embarrassed that I do not tip my under driver. It is a cashless system. I rarely carry cash. If the company wanted me to tip, they'd allow me to add it on like Lyft does. If drivers felt they were entitled to tips, they could drive for Lyft instead of Uber. I also refuse to believe I am being rude to play by the rules of the system the company set up.
Both Uber and Lyft are "cashless systems," but Uber actively discourages tipping. When they first started, Uber drivers were not allowed to accept tips. Now, Uber drivers are instructed to tell you tips are not required, and to accept tips only if the passenger insists.

What I usually get is a simple thank you. If anything else is said, it's usually something like "A tip is not included in the fare (true); a tip is not required, but is appreciated."

I've personally never had a driver for either company who felt "entitled" to a tip...although I've sure had that attitude with plenty of cabbies!

I find that most drivers drive for both companies, and some even display both logos on their cars. But from the discussions I've had with drivers, tipping is not their main issue. In many markets, Lyft simply pays more than Uber. For example, here in Miami, Lyft pays 80% of the fare while Uber pays 71-75% depending on class of vehicle. Drivers drive for both at the same time because Lyft pays better, but Uber has a lot more business.

Also, in some markets, Uber is now offering a guaranteed up-front rate. I got that offer on a recent trip, but I just used the regular system, which actually turned out slightly less (pennies, not dollars) than the guaranteed rate.

Uber is expensive in my area. I was surprised at how much my kids were charged for recent rides. When we were in Ft. Lauderdale earlier this year the price was a lot less for rides of similar distances. Still beter than a cab for pick-up time and cleanliness, but not as much of a bargain as I thought it was.

Last edited:
And you know WHY...right? It's political pay to play, like many other local regulations.

Win-win for the politicians and cabbies; lose-lose for the consumer.
Yes, I imagine you're right. Uber has been frozen out of this market by a number of small but onerous by-law restrictions like licensing fees, vehicle inspections and driver certifications. The main lobby against them has certainly been the taxi industry.

Yes, I imagine you're right. Uber has been frozen out of this market by a number of small but onerous by-law restrictions like licensing fees, vehicle inspections and driver certifications. The main lobby against them has certainly been the taxi industry.
It's certainly not unreasonable to expect rideshare drivers to meet the same standards that taxi drivers have to meet.

The issue in the past, of course, is that taxis had a monopoly and nobody else could enter the marketplace. In places like NYC, a taxi medallion can sell for astronomical prices because of the monopolistic nature of the market.

I think the main tactic Uber has been using is lawsuits or the threat of lawsuits against restraint of trade. I know here in Miami, there was a lot of that, and I suspect the prospect of a big lawsuit (with a background of many successful lawsuits nationwide) is probably what turned things around here.

It's a fairly level playing field here now, but in a lot of places taxis still have a great deal of preferential treatment -- like being allowed to pick up passengers at airports and rideshares not being allowed. (The classic workaround for that, incidentally, is to take a free shuttle to an off-site car rental place and call Uber from there.)

I know Uber and Lyft both require pretty extensive background checks. They check local, state, and federal criminal history/wanted info, sexual predator lists, and even various watch lists...plus verifying the driver's license and driving record, insurance, and requiring a very stringent vehicle safety inspection. (The vehicle inspection might not be a big deal in many states, but here in Florida we no longer have vehicle inspections, so it's good to have here.)

One important safety thing I've seen twice lately is dashcams in Uber vehicles. (I haven't seen those in cabs, but I haven't taken a cab in years!) Both of the Ubers had dashcams with two cameras -- one directed ahead at oncoming traffic, and the other directed to the interior passenger compartment of the car. The cameras are automatic and record continuously from the moment the engine is started until 10 minutes or so after the engine is turned off. One of them even had a motion sensor that started the cameras if there was motion around the car when the car wasn't running. Pretty cool, and good protection for both the driver and passenger.

It's certainly not unreasonable to expect rideshare drivers to meet the same standards that taxi drivers have to meet.

The issue in the past, of course, is that taxis had a monopoly and nobody else could enter the marketplace. In places like NYC, a taxi medallion can sell for astronomical prices because of the monopolistic nature of the market.

I think the main tactic Uber has been using is lawsuits or the threat of lawsuits against restraint of trade. I know here in Miami, there was a lot of that, and I suspect the prospect of a big lawsuit (with a background of many successful lawsuits nationwide) is probably what turned things around here.

It's a fairly level playing field here now, but in a lot of places taxis still have a great deal of preferential treatment -- like being allowed to pick up passengers at airports and rideshares not being allowed. (The classic workaround for that, incidentally, is to take a free shuttle to an off-site car rental place and call Uber from there.)

I know Uber and Lyft both require pretty extensive background checks. They check local, state, and federal criminal history/wanted info, sexual predator lists, and even various watch lists...plus verifying the driver's license and driving record, insurance, and requiring a very stringent vehicle safety inspection. (The vehicle inspection might not be a big deal in many states, but here in Florida we no longer have vehicle inspections, so it's good to have here.)

One important safety thing I've seen twice lately is dashcams in Uber vehicles. (I haven't seen those in cabs, but I haven't taken a cab in years!) Both of the Ubers had dashcams with two cameras -- one directed ahead at oncoming traffic, and the other directed to the interior passenger compartment of the car. The cameras are automatic and record continuously from the moment the engine is started until 10 minutes or so after the engine is turned off. One of them even had a motion sensor that started the cameras if there was motion around the car when the car wasn't running. Pretty cool, and good protection for both the driver and passenger.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/uber-calgary-bylaw-council-debate-feb-2016-1.3458511
No lawsuits, or even threats of lawsuits. Uber management just "took their ball and went home", leaving many of the citizens of this city very unhappy about being denied access to what is seen as a very progressive service.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/uber-calgary-bylaw-council-debate-feb-2016-1.3458511
No lawsuits, or even threats of lawsuits. Uber management just "took their ball and went home", leaving many of the citizens of this city very unhappy about being denied access to what is seen as a very progressive service.
Different country, different laws and issues. The Canadian legal system is very different from the American system. In the US, it often costs more to defend a lawsuit than the issue is worth. No sense in Uber threatening a lawsuit if nobody's afraid of one.

It seems in Calgary, your council and city staff simply passed an ordinance knowing full well Uber couldn't live with it. The $200+ licensing fee was surely what killed the deal, and was probably intentionally done for that purpose. So now, Calgary citizens don't have ridesharing services and hundreds of people are suddenly out of work.

Lose-lose for the drivers and passengers; win-win for the politicians and taxi owners.

https://ride.guru

Good site, although I found it doesn't show one type of fare that would be important to many people -- pooled rides. Both Uber and Lyft have actual car-pooling options which save the passenger money. Uber's is called UberPool and I think Lyft's is called Line. In South Florida right now, Uber is offering Pool rides for $3.00!

I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs of Lyft Line, but here's how UberPool works:
  • You place your trip request on the Uber app. As part of that process, you will be offered the choice to Pool or ride by yourself.
  • If you choose Pool, you will be quoted a reduced fare and that is what you pay -- whether or not you are matched up with another rider.
  • You start your trip, and the driver's app starts looking for a match along your route.
  • If a match is found, the driver makes a short detour to pick up the second passenger (or passengers)
    • I believe they will only make one stop, and pick up no more than two passengers. You can also have two passengers, for a total of 4.
  • The ride proceeds to the nearest destination -- it is an efficient system, not a first-in/first-out system.
  • After the first drop-off is made, you go to the remaining destination.
This system is supposed to offer substantial discounts over regular rideshare rates, but there are a few drawbacks that I can see:
  • Your travel time may be longer. When I've looked at the options, I am shown travel times roughly double the regular times -- probably because of
    • The possibility of having to detour from the quickest route for another pickup
    • The possibility of having to wait at the second pickup location for the other passenger (wait time for UberPool is 2 minutes, as opposed to the normal 5 minutes)
    • The possibility of the other passenger being dropped off first
  • You have no say in the route driven. Most drivers will let you specify your route, rather than using the navigation feature. Not with Pool, because the app is trying to match other riders to the designated route.
  • You can't make stops. Most drivers will let you make a stop somewhere along your route, as long as it's reasonable and very brief. Not with Pool, because that will inconvenience another potential rider.
  • BE READY. This is important with any ridesharing, but especially with Pool. Pool has only a two-minute wait time. A little alarm goes off on the driver's phone, and they will leave you. You will be charged a $5 cancellation fee...which is probably more than you would have saved.
    • I've taken two pool rides and on the second ride the other party was not ready and was canceled after the 2-minute wait.
    • If you're going to use Pool, it's important to know that the cancellation fee is probably more than the additional fare the driver would have received. So cancellations are win/wins for drivers. Don't expect them to wait beyond the required two minutes. They were ready -- you were not -- and they make more by canceling you.
    • This is especially important if you are trying to Pool from an airport. You'd better be standing at the curb when you request the ride!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter