Tyre Nichols

Deeply disturbing on so many levels.
I agree. What happened to this man is despicable and inhuman. :(

Surprised so few replies here, but I suppose people shy away from uncomfortable topics that can get political.

Sorry OP, no offense meant, but respectfully, would you please edit the spelling of the victim’s name in the title. It is Tyre.

Surprised so few replies here, but I suppose people shy away from uncomfortable topics that can get political.

Sorry OP, no offense meant, but respectfully, would you please edit the spelling of the victim’s name in the title. It is Tyre.
What can you really say anymore? Expressions of shock and sympathy are usually followed by victim blaming and dog whistles.

It gets really tiring.

I’m not sure I agree with this statement. They do have to protect themselves, too. They have families to go home to and deal daily with people in society that none of the rest of us want to deal with. From what I see they spend a lot of time learning de-escalation techniques first.

But learning them and applying them are two different things, and frankly, the assessment of threat element of the training in particular seems to be very much either lacking or not getting through. They may learn the tactics in the classroom, but the practice very much appears to be "Do exactly what we say, when we say, or risk deadly consequences."

Did you see anything about the more recent case in LA? The victim was a double amputee who was trying to run away on his stumps after falling out of his wheelchair. But because he was waving a knife while trying to run/hobble away *with no legs* the responding officers assessed him as enough of a threat to warrant deadly force. That's not de-escalation, and it shows how poorly equipped police are to deal with someone in the midst of a mental health crisis.

But learning them and applying them are two different things, and frankly, the assessment of threat element of the training in particular seems to be very much either lacking or not getting through. They may learn the tactics in the classroom, but the practice very much appears to be "Do exactly what we say, when we say, or risk deadly consequences."

Did you see anything about the more recent case in LA? The victim was a double amputee who was trying to run away on his stumps after falling out of his wheelchair. But because he was waving a knife while trying to run/hobble away *with no legs* the responding officers assessed him as enough of a threat to warrant deadly force. That's not de-escalation, and it shows how poorly equipped police are to deal with someone in the midst of a mental health crisis.
I did see that, and that he had a knife. I think we don’t see in the news the many cases every day where de-escalation works successfully. I don’t agree that training is either lacking or not getting through when I know of people and situations in law enforcement where it is working well.

I’m not sure I agree with this statement. They do have to protect themselves, too. They have families to go home to and deal daily with people in society that none of the rest of us want to deal with. From what I see they spend a lot of time learning de-escalation techniques first.
They might learn them, but it doesn't seem like they use them much.

Not here to debate, just offering my opinion. I think it’s unfair to judge ALL over the actions of some bad ones.

I truly cannot watch the video but from what details I have heard/reading just the situation and who all was involved it's horrific the level of this what the heck is going on in that area?!?

I think it’s unfair to judge ALL over the actions of some bad ones.
I explicitly said not ALL police. There are absolutely many wonderful police officers (the majority). I just think the culture and environment allow the few bad ones much more opportunity to do awful things and protection from the consequences for their behavior. There have been many good people in law enforcement who have recognized this recently and are taking steps toward making a changes that will prevent those bad apples from staying in law enforcement and prosecuting them when they commit a crime.

I explicitly said not ALL police. There are absolutely many wonderful police officers (the majority). I just think the culture and environment allow the few bad ones much more opportunity to do awful things and protection from the consequences for their behavior. There have been many good people in law enforcement who have recognized this recently and are taking steps toward making a changes that will prevent those bad apples from staying in law enforcement and prosecuting them when they commit a crime.
I wasn’t responding to your comment with that statement, although you did make some pretty general statements at the beginning of your post.
tzolkin said:
I think them being cops is very relevant. Because they are cops, they are given weapons, authority, access to their victims' homes/vehicles, protection from prosecution, trained to be in a constant state of fear, taught to use violence as a first resort, etc.

Over and over again we see this happening but nothing changes. It happens to people of all colors, sadly though most of the more violent outcomes seem to be with people of color.

I cannot pretend to understand what an officer goes through when they are on patrol. The police place their lives on the line daily to make our communities safe. They have a split second to examine the situation and react. Perhaps more focused training would help to ameliorate the more excessive reactions that we are seeing.

Another issue, although not as widely acknowledged, is the blue line. I believe that the police should be able to step forward when they see officers acting out of line, instead they receive retribution and are discouraged for reporting what they see.

A lot of people say "Well then don't break the law" but should you lose your life because you are in the wrong neighborhood? There are many people who do not break the law and yet they are beaten or shot because they are in the wrong place or look like someone else. Some people are killed in their own homes because the police with incorrect information come to the wrong house.

It's not just the police, our jails are also a problem (especially the for-profit jails). There are many people who have died in jail because staff thought they were faking or did not take their medical emergencies seriously. I read a case about a mentally retarded man with mental illnesses who was incarcerated for a year and 10 days. He went into prison at 200 lbs and when they found him dead in solitary confinement he weighed 90 lbs and had been eating his feces and urine to survive. He died because he had no one to pay the $100 bond to get him released from jail.

Things need to change all the way around.

I just have nothing to say anymore. We have a strange culture. Members of Congress have replaced their flag pins with assault rifle pins. It is depressing, nothing will change.

I live in Memphis, so it hits home for me. Such a tragedy! I am pretty satisfied though with how our officials have been handling it by taking swift action and offering transparency into the details. Considering the video, I'm pretty sure they will throw the book at these guys.
We live in the burbs just outside Memphis. This has been talked about through our social groups and work colleagues. It’s generally agreed that the violence was unacceptable and uncalled for. Some question if there’s more to the story than is being let on. Overall people seem pleased with the swift response to arrest the police officers. They committed a serious crime and should be held accountable.

Some question if there’s more to the story than is being let on.
When I was reading about it like I said in my comment on this thread who all was involved was really shocking.

From the police unit to the fire department (2 EMTs and a fire engine driver who was a Lieutenant and just stayed in the vehicle). I don't know what is more to the story but there is def. something going on not necessarily being spoken about.

I mean we're not just talking about police officers here who are overexerting in the worst of ways their power, we're also talking about another entity all together with 3 employees who did not follow proper protocols and policies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter