Trying to sneak Disney in

mumzie2three

DIS Veteran
Planning a trip to The Dark Side, but I can't resist going to Disney (plus the kids, 2 teens and a tween, are teasing for it). My son and I did a DAH at MK back in Jan and it was great! We could totally do that again, because there is one happening during the week we are there in Nov. BUT I started thinking that 2 of us already experienced MK and I kind of want to see Galaxy's Edge.
So then I was considering a 1 day 1 park ticket thinking we could go to HS on arrival day. Well, we don't land until 9am and by the time we get to the hotel, yadda, yadda, yadda.....I decided to look at the mid-day magic tickets. They are 2 day minimum! So now I think if I get those tickets, we should just stay onsite and use the new skyliner to visit HS one day and Epcot the next.
Is it absolute madness to try to cram a little Disney into the beginning of our trip? Has anyone experienced the mid-day tickets yet? I used to be a rope drop person, and while I have had a good experience in the past entering HS after noon, that was waaaaay back before even TSL. I am thinking if I hurry up and pull the trigger on the room and the tickets, I can book my FPs at the 60 day mark and that might help a bit....that and lowering my expectations maybe. My DH is no help, so anyone with any advice?

I don't have any advice really, but more info to help you as you think it through.

FP+ at HS is very limited. EVERYTHING is Tier 1 except the shows and Star Tours. The Galaxy Edge ride is NOT available for FP at all.

Okay, maybe I do have some advice: If the money is in the budget to do it, why not go for it? It will be completely different from anything you've done in the past and make for a great memory. Adjust your expectations as to what you'll be able to do and maybe find some things you usually pass by.

It's been so long since you've been, I would totally do it!! I bet HS looks nothing like you remember :-). Also, Epcot is getting totally revamped soon so good to see it one last time as "the old Epcot" in case you don't make it back before that happens. As to rides, it's been very low crowds just like DL was after their Star Wars opening (it was a total unexpected ghost town). There is talk that will change after Rise of the Resistance opens in Dec, speculation that people are waiting for the entirety of the SW land to open. (That is what we were hoping for when we booked our trip, which is happening in a few weeks!) But that is just speculation - if it stays "frightfully dead", as Tom Bricker is calling it, even after RotR opens, then it will be fantastic even if you are going after Dec. I'd totally take advantage of the opportunity, the new things to see and experience, the potentially lower crowds, the lower temperatures at that time of year, and the fact you can still do your 60 day FPs. I'd do it!!

I am in a similar situation in regards to planning a trip this summer. If your budget allows, I would do it in a hearbeat! My daughter really wants to experience the Harry Potter stuff and we have never been to Universal. Her marching band was suppose to go in December but the trip was cancelled and changed to Memphis due to low numbers and the cost. So, now I am considering surprising her with a trip. I love Disney and can't imagine being in Orlando and not going there for a couple of days. So, I am trying to make my own magic with the budget so I can do both.

I am so disappointed about the band trip. They were going to do the Outback Bowl parade and halftime show and I was using it as an excuse to plan a visit for my son and I to go to WDW and then head over to Tampa one day to see the band in the Outback parade on Dec 31. Now that is all gone up in smoke. I was especially looking forward to seeing the castle all lit up with the holiday lights.

I am in a similar situation in regards to planning a trip this summer. If your budget allows, I would do it in a hearbeat! My daughter really wants to experience the Harry Potter stuff and we have never been to Universal. Her marching band was suppose to go in December but the trip was cancelled and changed to Memphis due to low numbers and the cost. So, now I am considering surprising her with a trip. I love Disney and can't imagine being in Orlando and not going there for a couple of days. So, I am trying to make my own magic with the budget so I can do both.

I am so disappointed about the band trip. They were going to do the Outback Bowl parade and halftime show and I was using it as an excuse to plan a visit for my son and I to go to WDW and then head over to Tampa one day to see the band in the Outback parade on Dec 31. Now that is all gone up in smoke. I was especially looking forward to seeing the castle all lit up with the holiday lights.

That stinks about the band trip! Are you still trying to go in Dec? I know the first 2 weeks in Dec are the best time to go crowd wise, but it means taking kids out of school. (Which I do, and then regret it after because my kids never catch up on their work like they promise they will.)
Another good time to go is Jan. My son and I went to Universal mid-January and missed the holiday stuff, but the crowds were manageable. The Harry Potter stuff is amazing! And we had a Butterbeer everyday of our trip. Lol.

That stinks about the band trip! Are you still trying to go in Dec? I know the first 2 weeks in Dec are the best time to go crowd wise, but it means taking kids out of school. (Which I do, and then regret it after because my kids never catch up on their work like they promise they will.)
Another good time to go is Jan. My son and I went to Universal mid-January and missed the holiday stuff, but the crowds were manageable. The Harry Potter stuff is amazing! And we had a Butterbeer everyday of our trip. Lol.

I have decided to plan a trip for this summer. We will miss the holiday decorations but the plus side is that it will be better on my budget since summer rates should be better than the prices around New Year's and I am hoping the crowds will not be as insane as I have read that that generally are around New Year's. We have been in the summer before and like how Disney stays open later each day in all the parks since it is summer.

Since I am a teacher, I try to take my vacations during my breaks from school. Though I would love to go to Disney someday during a time when the crowds are lower than summer/holiday breaks.

OP - if anything I’d do a split trip and tack a day onto trip at the end...disney value resort.

Would work if you are staying onsite @ U at one of the deluxe resorts that offers FOTL. Could do a half day still in those parks, then switch over to WDW if you want.

IF me would probably go with doing U that last day, then heading to WDW value. Do EEMG for SWGE and book the latest flight home you can catch

OP - if anything I’d do a split trip and tack a day onto trip at the end...disney value resort.

Would work if you are staying onsite @ U at one of the deluxe resorts that offers FOTL. Could do a half day still in those parks, then switch over to WDW if you want.

IF me would probably go with doing U that last day, then heading to WDW value. Do EEMG for SWGE and book the latest flight home you can catch

The end of our trip involves driving to see family in Tampa. So I did look at booking something for our last night in Orlando, but there were slim pickings. Apparently, the free dining starts up the day after we arrive and there are no suites at AoA (which I like because of the the 2 bathrooms, family of 5 here). I did just find Coronado Springs and would have to book 2 adjoining rooms. Have to make up my mind quick because we are at the 60 day mark.
The EEMG ends before we arrive and with Mid-day Magic tickets that isn't an option anyway.

Well I am getting the same problem, well sort of. We are planning 10 days in May of 2021 but now the 10 year old is working hard to convince me that 2 extra days at Universal will make the trip magical. I made the mistake of buying her one day passes at Universal last time. Sigh

Well I am getting the same problem, well sort of. We are planning 10 days in May of 2021 but now the 10 year old is working hard to convince me that 2 extra days at Universal will make the trip magical. I made the mistake of buying her one day passes at Universal last time. Sigh
LOL. I am going to agree with your daughter...one day is never enough! And the park-to-park at Universal is great because it is so easy to move between the two, whether walking or taking the train.

LOL. I am going to agree with your daughter...one day is never enough! And the park-to-park at Universal is great because it is so easy to move between the two, whether walking or taking the train.
She lives and breathes Harry Potter but I really believe if you wait until 40 to start parenthood its my own fault. I make far more money then younger parents and really don't have the power to say no to either one of them.

Planning a trip to The Dark Side, but I can't resist going to Disney (plus the kids, 2 teens and a tween, are teasing for it). My son and I did a DAH at MK back in Jan and it was great! We could totally do that again, because there is one happening during the week we are there in Nov. BUT I started thinking that 2 of us already experienced MK and I kind of want to see Galaxy's Edge.
So then I was considering a 1 day 1 park ticket thinking we could go to HS on arrival day. Well, we don't land until 9am and by the time we get to the hotel, yadda, yadda, yadda.....I decided to look at the mid-day magic tickets. They are 2 day minimum! So now I think if I get those tickets, we should just stay onsite and use the new skyliner to visit HS one day and Epcot the next.
Is it absolute madness to try to cram a little Disney into the beginning of our trip? Has anyone experienced the mid-day tickets yet? I used to be a rope drop person, and while I have had a good experience in the past entering HS after noon, that was waaaaay back before even TSL. I am thinking if I hurry up and pull the trigger on the room and the tickets, I can book my FPs at the 60 day mark and that might help a bit....that and lowering my expectations maybe. My DH is no help, so anyone with any advice?

I don't think it's madness, but I do think it's expensive! If it's in your budget, and you can temper your expectations, it could be really fun.

Have you priced out the skyliner hotels and checked for availability on your date? I'm going in November, and there's no availability for Pop or CBR on my dates, and AoA only has suites that are $$$. I think if you can find a place to stay, it would be a fun trip! Maybe spend the morning of the second day in the pool (if not too cold) or do a drawing class at AoA.

Even if there's no good availability at a gondola resort, it could be worth it to stay elsewhere on property, or even offsite at a Disney Springs hotel. If you can't be in the parks until noon anyway, you've got plenty of time to make your way there from wherever you're staying.

As to lowering your expectations, I think this will be key. At the moment crowds are low at HS, but that's probably a combination of the extra-extra magic hours, hurricane season, and early September being a traditionally lower crowd time. By the time you go in November, there will be no EEMH to get the crowds through earlier, and the restrictive tiering will still be in play.

The end of our trip involves driving to see family in Tampa. So I did look at booking something for our last night in Orlando, but there were slim pickings. Apparently, the free dining starts up the day after we arrive and there are no suites at AoA (which I like because of the the 2 bathrooms, family of 5 here). I did just find Coronado Springs and would have to book 2 adjoining rooms. Have to make up my mind quick because we are at the 60 day mark.
The EEMG ends before we arrive and with Mid-day Magic tickets that isn't an option anyway.
as suggested perhaps an offsite hotel, DTD with the 60 day. Friends like the DT for their larger group.

Does it have to be on site? Your family of 5 would fit quite easily into a suite at the Doubletree in Disney Springs. I think there are some other DS resorts that would accommodate a family of 5, too.

Does it have to be on site? Your family of 5 would fit quite easily into a suite at the Doubletree in Disney Springs. I think there are some other DS resorts that would accommodate a family of 5, too.
No, the more I think about it...the more it doesn't have to be onsite. I actually have booked a room at the DoubleTree and I think I will cancel AoA. My last onsite stay at CBR was underwhelming and my teens are too old to really appreciate a themed suite anyway. I was thinking that using the skyliner would be cool, but the more I hear/learn about it, having to get off a time or two...the less cool it sounds.

Well I thought this thread is going to be good for some entertainment, I then figured out I read the intro as "Into Disney" instead of "Disney In"

Same here. Maybe just my moderator brain looking for board trouble, but I literally cannot read this thread title and not read it as "Trying to sneak in Disney"

:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!