Tron Lightcycle Run coming to MK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone remember what happened to the other half of the Pop Century? Sat empty for how many years? Unfortunately for the fans the company has to do what is best for them while we may not like it or agree with it they have to keep the shareholders happy with $$$.

I think there's a difference though: Pop Century Legendary Years represented extra hotel rooms which the resort didn't need, and eventually, when they were needed, they were built out. Tron is a huge investment in new attraction capacity, which admittedly they don't need right now, but they will need to draw guests back into the park once the pandemic subsides. So while a hotel wouldn't see the benefit of the recovery until the tail end of the recovery, an attraction is likely to be a major force in bringing about and spurring on that recovery.

I think there's a difference though: Pop Century Legendary Years represented extra hotel rooms which the resort didn't need, and eventually, when they were needed, they were built out. Tron is a huge investment in new attraction capacity, which admittedly they don't need right now, but they will need to draw guests back into the park once the pandemic subsides. So while a hotel wouldn't see the benefit of the recovery until the tail end of the recovery, an attraction is likely to be a major force in bringing about and spurring on that recovery.
I agree with you on what you are saying but I think the theme park division is at a cross roads with the pandemic. I heard a staggering number the other day on a podcast but I heard the Mouse had lost $60 Billion alone in 2020 on theme parks (How many Tron's could they build with that?). So I think the operating costs/testing alone of Tron and everything else that is shut down do to its construction is a huge sigh of relief for the company. Believe me I am down and awaiting Tron with excitement! Then again Disney can be not showing it's cards. I think they are starting to realize the 50th for WDW is not going to be the grand event they had hoped and they are starting to realize maybe the 100th for WDC is where they are hoping to be. But you never know with DIsney. In my short time at DLR I saw alot of stuff that didn't make sense. I helped open DCA and was there for 9-11 and the aftermath of that. Then I went in the military and saw alot of stuff that didn't make sense :rotfl2:. Another thing I think USO is starting to become more of a threat. One that wasn't a worry before. Disney needs to get there stuff together and get itself back in the game and that is where I agree with you it would be a good idea on their part to get these new E-tickets done to get those park number back.

Last edited:

And they don't need to be quick about it as much as they need to be strategic. They probably shouldn't open Remy's, Tron and Guardians of the Galaxy one right after each other. They should probably milk each one for season or two before opening the next.

Keep something in mind about the $60B loss: That's across the entire division. WDW, taken by itself, allegedly is doing better than breaking even. The fact that they can make money in the middle of a global pandemic is good news, because if they can do it here, the $60B+ in losses that they are accruing elsewhere might evaporate quickly once those resorts reopen.

If the attraction had not broken ground yet or it was merely a show building and nothing more, it MIGHT be quite a while before it opened. They are not going to leave something 1/2 to 3/4 finished dominating the skyline for YEARS. Honestly, the biggest hurdle may be staffing as there would have be training for that specific ride and the CM’s to support it. I’m not sure where this $60B loss came from...They had $60B in revenue basically...while company lost $2.5B, just a little off.

Attachments

• 53F5E7DA-74D7-4BDE-A7F5-2220152FAAFB.png
    53F5E7DA-74D7-4BDE-A7F5-2220152FAAFB.png
    135.3 KB · Views: 9
If the attraction had not broken ground yet or it was merely a show building and nothing more, it MIGHT be quite a while before it opened. They are not going to leave something 1/2 to 3/4 finished dominating the skyline for YEARS. Honestly, the biggest hurdle may be staffing as there would have be training for that specific ride and the CM’s to support it. I’m not sure where this $60B loss came from...They had $60B in revenue basically...while company lost $2.5B, just a little off.
I thought I heard them say $60 Billion on The DVC show. I don’t think it would be 10 years but 2023 is not too far away and that would be WDC 100th. You have to remember even after they complete the attraction there is months on months of testing. I don’t know if they are not working on it at all but if they are not I would put money on 2023.

I wish Disney had prioritized completion of this over some of their other projects. Harmonious at Epcot? The Star Wars hotel? Both things that will be fun, but I’d rather have a new ride at the highest attended park. Now we’re going to have a show building that looks almost complete from the outside sitting there for who knows how long. It’s sad, and I can only hope they’re able to pick it back up quickly.

I wish Disney had prioritized completion of this over some of their other projects. Harmonious at Epcot? The Star Wars hotel? Both things that will be fun, but I’d rather have a new ride at the highest attended park. Now we’re going to have a show building that looks almost complete from the outside sitting there for who knows how long. It’s sad, and I can only hope they’re able to pick it back up quickly.
I agree and especially when only the rich will be able to afford the Star Wars Hotel at $2500 per stay

When the pandemic is more or less over, there will be huge pent up demand for a Disney vacation, like opening the floodgates.

Obviously, millions of people have suffered economically during this disaster. Some tragically so. But a surprisingly large number of people have maintained a steady income -- many of whom have been working remotely -- while seeing their expenses significantly reduced -- since travel, bars, restaurants, sporting events, concerts and the like have been greatly reduced. These people have been saving up extra money, placing much of it in the still-booming stock market, where it grows robustly. These are the people who were already best positioned to afford a Disney vacation. And now they can afford it even more, and are especially eager to get out there an make happy memories after a year or more of quasi-lockdown. (That's one of the worst things about this pandemic. It has only exacerbated economic inequality.)

The parks were already so crowded pre-pandemic that the long lines, packed walkways, and reduced entertainment were serious sources of frustration and even anger on these boards. Disney had been raising prices, but that did not seem to thin the crowds. Even some of the most loyal customers were beginning to question the value of a Disney vacation.

Now, the entertainment has been stripped to the bone, and will take quite a while to bring back. (And there are indications that Disney doesn't plan to bring it all back.)

All of this suggests that it would be wise for Disney to invest in new attractions now -- not so much as incentives to bring people back to the parks, but rather as places to put the people, and ways of exciting them, when they are there. Otherwise, Disney might find itself packing the parks for a months, but creating millions of angry customers standing in endless lines for too-few and tired attractions and feeling that the magic is gone. Those people won't be back, and they will tell their friends not to bother coming.

All of this suggests that it would be wise for Disney to invest in new attractions now -- not so much as incentives to bring people back to the parks, but rather as places to put the people, and ways of exciting them, when they are there.

I feel they have staged themselves pretty well with the attractions (e.g. Tron). I am confident they have a project schedule for each one and can "turn on the completion valve" based on market/crowd predictions. Of course, resourcing might be problematic.

I am all for them white-boarding new attractions, but think Imagineering is running lean at this time.

I think it's important that Disney has NOT publicly announced a delay in opening for Tron or Guardians. They are giving themselves options depending on how the next few months go with the pandemic.

And for all we know, there is significant work happening behind the scenes in those buildings.

From the earnings report, it does not sound like Disney expects things to be "normal" until 2022. So they are in no hurry to open new attractions like Tron or Guardians. In the mean time they have cut as much as possible in the parks to reduce overhead. Kind of like treading water until 2022. The earnings report showed that even with all the reductions that Parks still lost money. So, we Disney fans will need to just grin and bear it until 2022.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter