Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetical situation and how willDisney police this? I have seen dogs tied to light poles etc. while their owners run into a shop (usually coffee). If dogs are not allowed IN food court areas do you think people walking their dogs will tie them up outside the food court in what is technically a common area while they "just run in"? As a dog owner, if I can't get by what would be your best advice? Or do most owners keep dogs on a short leash in these cases?
It is much more likely that the owner will bring their dog into the shop with them.

All very good points. I’m also a mental health professional & was thinking this about the phobias. Even if WDW doesn’t offer this policy, avoiding dogs in every day life is hard & it can be treatable.

My son has been working on overcoming his fear of cats and dogs. He doesn't instantly puke when he sees a cat anymore. But this no notice from Disney didn't give us much time before our November trip to get much farther.

Just because children have always been allowed at WDW doesn't mean that some of them...

What?! Oh please! These comparisons between dogs and children are really bothering me. (and I love animals for the record.)

Can we please stop and remember for a moment WHY Walt Disney built Disneyland in the first place?
First and foremost for children!!!!

A place where children can have fun with their parents, in a *clean* and *safe* environment!

Walt once said:

“What this country really needs is an amusement park that families can take their children to. They’ve gotten so honky tonk with a lot of questionable characters running around, and they’re not to safe. They’re not well kept. I want to have a place that’s as clean as anything could ever be, and all the people in it [his park] are first-class citizens, and treated like guests.”

No to all of the above. At least, that appears to be the intention anyway - how well it is policed won't become apparent until a few dogs are actually staying at the hotels.

Andre
This raises the question : what are the enforcement measures ? We all know that removal is the ultimate penalty for serious violations, but what about lesser offenses ? What is done to the owner that addresses the problem of a barking dog in 60 minutes as opposed to 30 ? What about the dog owner that walks a dog at dawn around restricted areas of the resort ?

If minor offenses aren't swiftly addresed that will likely lead to progressively more serious offenses. The question remains, what enforcement measures will Disney World employ to compel strict compliance with the rules ?

This raises the question : what are the enforcement measures ? We all know that removal is the ultimate penalty for serious violations, but what about lesser offenses ? What is done to the owner that addresses the problem of a barking dog in 60 minutes as opposed to 30 ? What about the dog owner that walks a dog at dawn around restricted areas of the resort ?

If minor offenses aren't swiftly addresed that will likely lead to progressively more serious offenses. The question remains, what enforcement measures will Disney World employ to compel strict compliance with the rules ?
These are great questions to ask in an email. Let us know what the answers are.

WDW.Guest.Communications@disneyworld.com
And cc these folks too:
Robert.a.iger@disney.com
Robert.Chapek@disney.com
George.Kalogridis@disney.com

What?! Oh please! These comparisons between dogs and children are really bothering me. (and I love animals for the record.)

Can we please stop and remember for a moment WHY Walt Disney built Disneyland in the first place?
First and foremost for children!!!!

A place where children can have fun with their parents, in a *clean* and *safe* environment!

Walt once said:

“What this country really needs is an amusement park that families can take their children to. They’ve gotten so honky tonk with a lot of questionable characters running around, and they’re not to safe. They’re not well kept. I want to have a place that’s as clean as anything could ever be, and all the people in it [his park] are first-class citizens, and treated like guests.”
This thread is just going in circles now. That was already debated back & forth a few pages ago. Think I’m finally out too. Find it exhausting that we all (both sides) keep repeating the same points & counter points.

This thread is just going in circles now. That was already debated back & forth a few pages ago. Think I’m finally out too. Find it exhausting that we all (both sides) keep repeating the same points & counter points.

Good point...moderator how about a lock on this thread? As someone suggested a few pages ago let's revisit when a couple months have passed to see what has happened since the trial started Oct 15.

Ah, I see what you were saying. I think I may have phrased it poorly, and a better way to express what I meant is that the owner of the dog would know that I was loathe to be near the dog given my posture, and might assume that I was loathe to be near that person by extension, which would not be true but I could see someone getting that impression. One of my good friends has 8 dogs, among many other types of animals, so she understands it, but others who don't might take offense.
No it wasn't phrased poorly TBH (*but again I don't think anything of you personally at all we're just discussing here :) ).

In the case of the thread I'm assuming (I know bad to assume) it's easier to think in the grande scheme of things it's different simply because it's a dog. On the contrary, while we can say many things about dogs and their intelligence the dog isn't likely to care about your body posture, the dog isn't likely to care about your dislike of their presence, the dog isn't likely to care that you're snapping up pictures of them potentially following them around (I do understand that some people may have been using exaggeration for the phone aspect) but their owner may and their owner is a human being and as many people have said time and time again a dog isn't a human being it means by extension you are treating the human being much the same way we have treated other humans (of varying degrees for sure) over time and currently and thus as I said before I can think of instances in real life where that line of thinking would absolutely not be tolerated. Insert whatever you want into your above statement.

I pointed it out (just in a different way) in a comment many pages back when someone suggested why would you take to a place where you know that the majority of the people you encounter are going to be very unhappy to see your animal there with you and they should just go somewhere else.

It's not abuse. If a dog is going to jump on a person, the person just lifts up their leg with the knee bent in front of them. They do not kick the dog or knee the dog. The dog is the one making contact, and instead of getting your chest to jump on, they only get your knee. The dog will not like it and therefore will learn very quickly that jumping on people is not pleasant. This is a well know training technique.
That move works on toddlers too.

Last edited:
My sister and I are taking our 83 year old mom in a couple of weeks and are staying at the YC. It's been planned for just over a year and are within our 45 days so not cancellable. Also, no availability anywhere to move. I feel like we "accepted the terms and conditions" of the package with room, dining and tickets but had them severely changed with no notice or chance to amend by both parties involved. By the way, we also never received an email regarding the change. We called to explain she has severe asthma and what could they do, all we got was a number to call the YC directly and put a request in for a non pet room. They asked us to call again 10 days before to remind them. I hope the thread stays open so people can report how things are being handled with first hand knowledge. I actually did read all 142 pages of this thread.

My sister and I are taking our 83 year old mom in a couple of weeks and are staying at the YC. It's been planned for just over a year and are within our 45 days so not cancellable. Also, no availability anywhere to move. I feel like we "accepted the terms and conditions" of the package with room, dining and tickets but had them severely changed with no notice or chance to amend by both parties involved. By the way, we also never received an email regarding the change. We called to explain she has severe asthma and what could they do, all we got was a number to call the YC directly and put a request in for a non pet room. They asked us to call again 10 days before to remind them. I hope the thread stays open so people can report how things are being handled with first hand knowledge. I actually did read all 142 pages of this thread.

Hi texascutie,

I strongly recommend that you email and or call:
George Kalogridis
President of Walt Disney World
407-828-2600
george.kalogridis@disney.com

There have been a number of posters that have had success in being better accommodated for their upcoming trip as a result of concerns due to this new and suddenly implemented policy.

Hi TinkerBelle_325,

I am sending an email in the morning. I read all the pages and wanted to hear the very valid points in the discussion and so feel for everyone who has been impacted with no notice or time to change things. Luckily we are coming over in the morning from the GF, had to do a split stay even a year out, and it will be very obvious that she is a vibrant, active, 83 year old, but also has severe asthma. If we have to wait for a room or a good cleaning we will be able to. Thanks again!

Did anyone who was already booked at these rooms ever get an email from Disney stating that this change was being made? I just made our reservations for March 2018 a couple weeks ago, before this dog policy was announced. If it weren't for the fact I'm checking on Disney news headlines and checking these forums I would have never known about it. I think that's what upsets me the most, that they didn't even bother to inform me about the change. I am also not happy to learn the response I got from Disney to my complaint email was a form letter that everyone else seems to have gotten too. It's obvious Disney doesn't care.

That move works on toddlers too.
Since when does a toddler tend to run up to an adult or another child and potentially knock them off their feet, or try to lick their face or put muddy paw prints on them? Dog owners seem to think because they love their dogs everyone does and will love being jumped on by a dog, well I don’t I think it’s disgusting. As for toddlers I think most parents try to keep them away from strangers and certainly don’t encourage them going up to people they don’t know.
Even to make this comment flippantly is ridiculous when people feel so strongly about it.

Good point...moderator how about a lock on this thread? As someone suggested a few pages ago let's revisit when a couple months have passed to see what has happened since the trial started Oct 15.

I don't think closing the thread at this point is a good idea at all. So many people are (rightly or wrongly) passionately interested in any developments, and the current status seems to be very fluid and changing daily.

I agree the same points are getting repeated again and again, and there is quite a bit of unjustified knee-jerk (sorry about the pun) paranoia scattered in amongst some legitimate concerns, but if you are not interested in the topic you can simply unfollow the thread, it's not hurting anyone by being here.

Andre

... Except my CM told me it could never be guaranteed ...

Of course it can't be guaranteed. If you check the small-print, they won't even guarantee that you'll be accommodated in the resort that you have booked. We've all seen occasions where overbooking or changes in resort circumstance have forced Disney to bump people to different resorts. OK, I know that's rare, but the legal meaning of "guarantee" means they should not use it glibly, especially when they don't seem to have strong mechanisms in place yet to handle a situation that they did not anticipate four days ago.

I guess the nearest thing to a guarantee would be for medical conditions, and in the very worst imaginable scenario (if a resort is totally full and the only empty room left is one that has recently been used by a dog) I would expect them to move a guest over to a different resort.

Yes, I know this is all Disney's fault for trying to implement this so ludicrously quickly, and without prior gathering of guest opinion, but at the moment they are fire-fighting an indignant wave of guest reaction (or in a few cases, over-reaction) and seem to be creating new policies on the fly.

But I don't think this program was created out of malice or intent to annoy guests, it was more that after Irma someone saw a guest service (OK, perhaps money-making too ;) ) opportunity that they weren't exploiting.

Andre

How is the 30 minute rule to get back to your room going to work when your dog is at is at Port Orleans and you are at Extra magic hour at Magic kingdom till 1am trying to leave and your dog is barking at the resort. It will take you at least 1.5 hours to get back, Uber , cab, resort bus etc.... Answer this question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter