Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. If offences under the new dog policy are not strictly enforced, including minor offences, some people with dogs will likely try to "push the envelope" on the rules for the sake of their own convenience. Like someone else here wrote, people may ignore some of the rules regarding their dogs and think "nobody stopped me so Disney must be okay with it". Disney seems pretty stingy with their workers, so I can't imagine there will be a lot of extra Disney Cast Members around to enforce the dog rules. But if Disney is concerned about saving money on its staff expenses, it could fire every executive involved in the approval of the crazy new dog policy.

Until this new dog policy is repealed, Disney needs to be prepared to expel guests who violate the dog policy rules.

I see this argument all the time on Disney forums so it seems very reasonable to think this will end up being the case. And yes, CMs seem spread pretty thin so I have a hard time thinking they'll really be enforcing many of these rules.

Instead of allowing dogs in 4 different resorts, alongside regular guests, why not just convert one of them to an all dog-friendly resort all the time. This way it is confined to one resort and you have a choice whether or not to stay there. Or better yet, with all the property left, build a brand new dog-friendly resort with a doggie day-care on site for people who will be in the parks all day. Wouldn't this make more sense and make everyone happy ??

I hope people continue to email and make phone calls all throughout the year. I would hate for Disney to get all of this negative feedback this first week and then nothing else throughout the year. You bet they would disregard all of the complaints if they don't continue.

I'm saving my letter for a few months from now.

So if you still dislike this policy in the coming months please right again. They need to continually hear the complaints or they will spread this to more resorts.

I have a couple of questions I just thought of if this turns out to be permanent after this trial:

If Disney wants to expand to other deluxe resorts, since they all have DVC, will the members vote on it? (I have almost zero knowledge about how DVC works so forgive me if that's a stupid question).

If it does expand, do you think they would be more likely to expand to all resorts, or just a few more and leave some dog free?

If it were to expand to some others and not all, which would be the most likely to be next? Maybe BC and POFQ since they adjoin/share amenities with dog friendly resorts?

Obviously these are speculation but just thought it would be interesting to see what people think they may do next.

I posted a reply on Disney Blog asking how they were to enforce this policy of designated areas. It was deleted, I assume, because I pointed out the non-confrontation attitude of CMs concerning designated smoking areas, line-cutting, and failure of chaperones to control their groups was examples of past enforcement. They probably also did not like that I pointed out the possibility of lawsuits that may cause them to increase ticket prices to cover the losses. Their choice of hotels left much to be desired. If they wanted to test, why select resorts that have sister facilities that invited the careless dog owners and people who think the rules do not apply to them to push the envelope.

Instead of allowing dogs in 4 different resorts, alongside regular guests, why not just convert one of them to an all dog-friendly resort all the time. This way it is confined to one resort and you have a choice whether or not to stay there. Or better yet, with all the property left, build a brand new dog-friendly resort with a doggie day-care on site for people who will be in the parks all day. Wouldn't this make more sense and make everyone happy ??

They won't because it doesn't make financial sense to build a resort with a couple dozen rooms. That resort would have a really hard time meeting the occupancy goal even its small size.

If it does expand, do you think they would be more likely to expand to all resorts, or just a few more and leave some dog free?

If it were to expand to some others and not all, which would be the most likely to be next? Maybe BC and POFQ since they adjoin/share amenities with dog friendly resorts?

Obviously these are speculation but just thought it would be interesting to see what people think they may do next.

I would guess if there are only a small number of complaints and they make a lot of $ from it. Then it will be rolled out to all resorts eventually.
You are probably right BC and POFQ would be next.

I posted a reply on Disney Blog asking how they were to enforce this policy of designated areas. It was deleted, I assume, because I pointed out the non-confrontation attitude of CMs concerning designated smoking areas, line-cutting, and failure of chaperones to control their groups was examples of past enforcement. They probably also did not like that I pointed out the possibility of lawsuits that may cause them to increase ticket prices to cover the losses. Their choice of hotels left much to be desired. If they wanted to test, why select resorts that have sister facilities that invited the careless dog owners and people who think the rules do not apply to them to push the envelope.

They have deleted a lot of posts. They are in damage control mode.

They won't because it doesn't make financial sense to build a resort with a couple dozen rooms. That resort would have a really hard time meeting the occupancy goal even its small size.
Maybe they could go with making one building a specific pet resort. I was thinking Coronado Springs would be good for this. Some buildings are far away from the main building, with plenty of green space that could be converted to dog parks and walks for their guests.

FWIW, over the weekend many of us were complaining that our negative posts weren't being used. Around Tuesday I went back in and mine showed up as did many other negative posts. Not sure if that will be the case for yours as well, but they did take several days to show up.

Maybe they could go with making one building a specific pet resort. I was thinking Coronado Springs would be good for this. Some buildings are far away from the main building, with plenty of green space that could be converted to dog parks and walks for their guests.

That's what they're doing at POR, with building 24. At YC it's one area as it's all one building. At AoA it's 2 areas. An area of LM section and one area of Suites.

That's what they're doing at POR, with building 24. At YC it's one area as it's all one building. At AoA it's 2 areas. An area of LM section and one area of Suites.
Just my opinion, what they are doing now is too spread out and does not offer lots of very specific amenities. I think they need to go all out with dog theming, maybe dog friendly furnishings in the rooms, great exercise areas and so on with one dedicated facility.

Just my opinion, what they are doing now is too spread out, some here, some there. I think they need to go all out with dog theming, maybe dog friendly furnishings in the rooms, great exercise areas and so on with one dedicated facility.

There's not going to be enough interest for that. Just my opinion but I'm really confident in that.

I really dislike this move and the way it was rolled out. But I think it's not going to be a financial success at all. And eventually the decision will be made that it's not worth the headache.

FWIW, over the weekend many of us were complaining that our negative posts weren't being used. Around Tuesday I went back in and mine showed up as did many other negative posts. Not sure if that will be the case for yours as well, but they did take several days to show up.

It must depend on how negative your comment is. Comments like "bad idea" or "I don't like dogs" get through. If you point out facts like removing their health and safety policy after 46 years to get the dog owners $s they will get removed.

Last edited:
There's not going to be enough interest for that. Just my opinion but I'm really confident in that.

I really dislike this move and the way it was rolled out. But I think it's not going to be a financial success at all. And eventually the decision will be made that it's not worth the headache.
Here's hoping that you are right, that would be wonderful. I want to be able to stay at the Yacht Club again someday. In the meantime, I will stay tuned.:flower:

In response to people thinking Disney won't expel people: As far as I know, Disney has expelled at least one group in the past. Some of the teams from Pop Warner back in 2007. However, I agree that the odds of them kicking out someone over anything related to this pet policy-unless a dog actually bites someone (and then I can see them simply saying "it's between you and the dog owner") is a non-starter. My guess still is: lousy housekeeping, no enforcement of their own policy-especially as the confusion over the policy seems to be among CM's themselves, placing people in pet friendly rooms regardless of requests, and other issues you just normally have with dogs.

Edit: just found out they expelled two teams in 2008 (fighting)

From Orlando's Channel 13:

Kids Thrown Out Of Disney
Monday, December 10, 2007 12:02:09 AM

A group of young athletes was kicked out of Walt Disney World in the middle of the night Saturday.

Disney made the decision to kick out three teams participating in the Pop Warner Super Bowl competition -- two from Hawaii and one from Baltimore -- because of a fight between some of their athletes.

According to Disney, the policy written for group packages states everyone will be forced to leave even if one member of the party is involved in a violent act on property.

However, parents said the way they were treated just wasn't right.

"They could have handled it so much better, you know? They really could have. They could have said look you know what? Fine, you guys have to leave in the morning. Then our babies. We have one year old, two year old, three year olds, that we had to just jerk out of bed and they were just crying. You know it was just a bad scene. It was really a bad scene," said Labryanna Kubo, a parent traveling with the Hawaii team.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office is still investigating the incident.

Last edited:
Thanks for reposting that...I fired off an email this morning with a bunch of questions. Hoping to get a written response.

on a lighter note....I have a couple of marketing ideas. H2Oplus could make a Sea Salt dog shampoo (Salty Dog). The people that make the resort scented candles could have one for the Dog resorts "Eau De Poo" :D

If the resorts in question do have a "block" of rooms that are pet friendly, how would you like to have the room right next to that block? With a noisy pet it would kinda be like getting the room next to the elevator, ice machine, or slamming stairwell door.

The other thing - they say a noisy dog will have to be removed. Will this policy be enforced with the same firmness as something like the dress code or smoking policy is enforced? If so, good luck. We'll be knee deep in fleas and dog hair if that's true.

Plus we all know that the only reason this even happened is to fleece more cash out of guests anyway.

Yeah I know, Johnny Raincloud here:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter