Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that's a bit of a downer really. That people would feel like that. I can think of instances in real life where that line of thinking would absolutely not be tolerated.
Just to be clear when I say that I am thinking of it happening in a non-malicious way. I know that for example any dog owner would know by my body posture alone that I’m not ok with being around them. And I don’t hate dogs personally, I just don’t care for them. For someone with a fear, it would be even worse.

That’s not necessarily true. Everyone who booked a trip for this week thought they were choosing a non-pet friendly hotel. I’m guessing Disney won’t change anything during the year long trial, but after that, they could just one day say, “Hey! Starting tomorrow, all resorts are pet friendly!”

We will be there just after the trial ends next year, and have a reservation at a resort that is not currently dog friendly. If they spring a change on me right before we go, I won’t be happy.
I agree & I’ve said that in several previous posts. I just get tired of typing out that caveat :). But I agree 100% they should have announced a start date with way more notice. My suggestion was that they should have announced it’ll start 1/2019 since you can’t even book packages for then yet.

I absolutely agree. But we all have to just endure when we are affected by ppl’s poor parenting of children b/c you can’t call WDW & complain that someone’s obnoxious child is bothering you. But, with this policy, you can complain if ppl aren’t adhering to the pet policy. And if they are, it should have minimal/negligible effect on other guests.

Poor parenting of kids isn’t generally dangerous to the public though. Poor parenting of dogs can be, depending on the dog.

Just to be clear when I say that I am thinking of it happening in a non-malicious way. I know that for example any dog owner would know by my body posture alone that I’m not ok with being around them. And I don’t hate dogs personally, I just don’t care for them. For someone with a fear, it would be even worse.
I didn't think you were being malicious at all. But still my statement stands true; perhaps even moreso now that you've said your body posture alone would advise you are not ok with being around them. I can think of instances in real life where that line of thinking would absolutely not be tolerated.

I didn't think you were being malicious at all. But still my statement stands true; perhaps even moreso now that you've said your body posture alone would advise you are not ok with being around them. I can think of instances in real life where that line of thinking would absolutely not be tolerated.
You’ll have to clarify, as I’m not understanding what you mean.

I got the initial "try to pacify" call, and then I kept at it, and a day later, I got a call back and an offere to move my resort, even though the website listed no availability (with a slight upgrade from Garden View to Water View, because that's all that was available)... So persistance can pay off at least in personal situations.

I expressed that I still thought the policy was a mistake, but thanked her for making things right at least for my family...

I only received the “pacify call” as well. Did you email again after that or call them back? The more I think about it, I dont know how comfortable I am with their promises. Especially when she said they didnt have which building would be for dogs yet.

Can I expect dogs running around at StormAlong Bay (shared facilities with Beach Club)?
Will we start seeing dogs then as well at French Quarter, since it shares the resort facilities with POR?
In restaurants? Tethered in front of restaurants and shops?
On the children's playgrounds? :(
In the hotel's entertainment area, where there is children's animation?

No to all of the above. At least, that appears to be the intention anyway - how well it is policed won't become apparent until a few dogs are actually staying at the hotels.

Andre

You’ll have to clarify, as I’m not understanding what you mean.
It's a can of worms. But If you think about how some people have shown their displeasure (both verbal and non-verbal) of other people of various characteristics in our past and in our current times you might see a bit more of what I mean. And it's a variety of characteristics. The line of thinking that because enough people dislike you or your habits, loathe things about you and you're just not welcomed you should go where you can be around like people is what I meant by like things. *Please be aware I'm not speaking directly about you but more about how that earlier statement can be used in actual real life not just about not liking dogs being allowed*

Yeah, except my home resort is the Beach Club Villas, next door to Yacht Club. We share the area. I have no faith that Disney will keep the dogs off of the boardwalk, the beach, or the walkway to the Studios. I've been called by two different executive offices, DVC and George what's his name. Two different answers. So if they end up using the walkways, then I'm stuck in the room instead of the dogs.

Do you mind sharing what they said and how they were different. Disney not being on the same page is always a problem.

I've only read through a small number of the posts but I repeatedly see people referring to dogs left alone in rooms over long time periods. No, that's not how it works, or at least that's not how it works at most dog-friendly hotels. Every hotel we've visited with our dogs has posted that pets are not to be left unattended in the room. Does it happen? Probably, but only with the dogs which are so quiet that the guest is confident their violation won't be discovered. I've never left my dog unattended and I ALWAYS clean up after my dogs.

I truly am surprised at the vocal posts against pet rooms, particularly as so many hotels do allow pets (I even saw a pet pig being walked at one hotel!). Do you guys not stay in hotels much? Or do you seek out only those hotels which ban pets? I'm not sure how anyone can travel nowadays without being exposed to pets, particularly with the abundance of emotional support pets.

Believe me, I understand how exposure to pet dander can be dangerous. My grandson has severe allergies which are aggravated by dogs and my husband, who is dependent on a high-tech CPAP to breathe, is highly allergic to cats. But having pets in a few rooms of one building should be no more of an issue to those in other areas of the resort than my neighbor's cats are to my husband.

Most likely, my dogs will stay home the next time we go to Disney but it is nice knowing I could board them at the kennel next to Port Orleans Riverside and choose to take them to my room at night. It seems like a perfect situation.
Disneys policies state you can leave the dog unattended in the room for 7 hours. Thats why you are seeing this. They also cannot guarantee certain areas only of the resorts for pets. People who have had their vacations booked for long periods of time do not have an option to switch if everything else is booked, and they are being told there are no guarantees about having a pet free room. Just to update you since you only read a couple of threads. At other hotels the policies are much different.

I cannot put into words how strongly I feel dogs should not be allowed in the resorts or resort areas. I've been taught how to knee a dog that tries to jump on me and I won't hesitate to knee any dog at Disney that tries.
Wish Disney built a new hotel / DVC complex just for dogs and their owners. Pools, playgrounds, spa, day care, doggie character meals, etc. Up charges galore depending on your budget. Then EVERYONE will be happy.
I'm against this policy but I absolutely love dogs, so I hope when you say you will knee any dog that tries to jump on you that you're talking about ones that appear they are trying to attack you & not the precious, sweet ones just trying to say hello to you. Otherwise, that would sound like abuse. JMHO

It's a can of worms. But If you think about how some people have shown their displeasure (both verbal and non-verbal) of other people of various characteristics in our past and in our current times you might see a bit more of what I mean. And it's a variety of characteristics. The line of thinking that because enough people dislike you or your habits, loathe things about you and you're just not welcomed you should go where you can be around like people is what I meant by like things. *Please be aware I'm not speaking directly about you but more about how that earlier statement can be used in actual real life not just about not liking dogs being allowed*
Ah, I see what you were saying. I think I may have phrased it poorly, and a better way to express what I meant is that the owner of the dog would know that I was loathe to be near the dog given my posture, and might assume that I was loathe to be near that person by extension, which would not be true but I could see someone getting that impression. One of my good friends has 8 dogs, among many other types of animals, so she understands it, but others who don't might take offense.

I get it..many of us don't have children for a reason--we don't want to live with them; on vacation or off.
Talking with friends today about this policy and the questions brought up about dogs being on beds and damage to carpets, one brought up what I think is a good point....she worries about what "intimate relations ", incontinence , sickness etc. has happened on the beds and carpet from adults and kids. Along with what people have done with the towels....hmmmm...
Well, I guess your friend will never stay in a hotel where humans have been.

People, human beings, are exposed to other human beings on a daily basis. We are even exposed to children and their by products and very much so at WDW. Those of us that do not have animals ( husbands excluded) in our homes or lives and go to WDW have not been exposed to pets in hotel rooms (unless sneaked in), just well behaved and well trained service animals. To equate humans and pets is insulting..imo...and should not factor into the discussion. Again, my opinion. These resorts, some that have been favorites for years, are no longer available to people with allergies and fears.

If a human with children has stayed in the room will you ask for a deep clean?

Do you mind sharing what they said and how they were different. Disney not being on the same page is always a problem.
Honestly I couldn't remember word for word. My main concern is the walkways around the lake including to the Studios, especially at night. One said that pets would be kept on YC grounds only, the other didn't mention until I asked specifically about the walkways around the lake. She said they would be allowed, but not on Beach Club property. To be honest, I don't think she knew what she was talking about as she seemed really unfamiliar with the BC YC BW area. She kept repeating that Disney is aware of the issues. I will be there next week so I guess I will see for myself.

Yeah, except my home resort is the Beach Club Villas, next door to Yacht Club. We share the area. I have no faith that Disney will keep the dogs off of the boardwalk, the beach, or the walkway to the Studios. I've been called by two different executive offices, DVC and George what's his name. Two different answers. So if they end up using the walkways, then I'm stuck in the room instead of the dogs.

I agree 100%

I'm against this policy but I absolutely love dogs, so I hope when you say you will knee any dog that tries to jump on you that you're talking about ones that appear they are trying to attack you & not the precious, sweet ones just trying to say hello to you. Otherwise, that would sound like abuse. JMHO

The problem is that there are people like me who have very little exposure to dogs and may not know the difference. I’m not sure I would always know. And if a dog (friendly or not) weighs 2 or 3 times my toddler and knocks him over, my only concern is to do whatever it takes to get the dog off of my kid.

It's not abuse. If a dog is going to jump on a person, the person just lifts up their leg with the knee bent in front of them. They do not kick the dog or knee the dog. The dog is the one making contact, and instead of getting your chest to jump on, they only get your knee. The dog will not like it and therefore will learn very quickly that jumping on people is not pleasant. This is a well know training technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter