Travelling to DLP by Train

Bexx

DIS Veteran
The station at DLP is called Marne La Vallee Chessy. It actually consists of two stations right next to each other - one is the RATP station for the RER Line A service to Paris, and the other is the SNCF/RFF station for the TGV, Thalys and Eurostar services.

This Paris by Train website has some helpful step by step and photo guides - though some times and prices may not be up-to-date.

Eurostar

The Eurostar offers a direct service from London St Pancras and Ashford to DLP daily except Tuesdays and Saturdays. (There is only a direct service on these days during school holidays)

The train departs from London in the morning to arrive at DLP early afternoon, and for the return journery it departs DLP early evening. The exact times change fairly regularly.

You can book the direct service to DLP up to six months in advance. To do this you must choose Disneyland Paris as the destination before putting in your dates. You can also phone Eurostar to book the direct service up to 10 months in advance.

UK train connections, and more can be booked on TheTrainLine

People wishing to catch the Eurostar from Ashford can stay overnight at various nearby hotels including Holiday Inn, Premier Inn and Travel Lodge

You can find further information of hotel and food options at Ashford in The Ashford Thread

On arriving at DLP, you can go straight to the park while your luggage is taken to your hotel using the Disney Express service. A comprehensive description of how this service works is given on this thread.

On exiting Marne La Vallee station you will find the stops for all the hotel shuttles just outside. as well as for the local bus-lines connecting the Resort to surrounding areas. See Local Bus Information below

Guests arriving at the station with luggage, and not staying in one of the resort hotels, can store it at Guest Storage next to the Guest Relations at the right side of the entrance to the Disneyland Park or the Walt Disney Studios. This will cost 2.50 euros per item. Another luggage-storage is located inside the train station but the operation times of this service are not coordinated with the opening times of the parks.

RER

DLP is connected to Paris by the RER. You can very easily travel between DLP and Paris on the RER Line A - the journey takes about 35 minutes

When travelling from Paris to DLP, be sure to board the RER Line A4 in the direction of "Marne-la-Vallée / Chessy Parcs Disneyland".

Timetables for stations on the RER A Line can be found here. Other timetables can be found here.

The RATP website includes maps and information on the RER, Metro and buses. It also gives information on the Paris Visite travel card for use on all those methods of transport.

Another option for just a one day visit is the Mobilis ticket which can be used on all the RER, Metro and the bus lines. It cannot be used on the "special" airport transports i.e.Roissybus/Roissyrail or Orlybus/Orlyval/Orlyrail though you can get to CDG on the RER B3 line (travelling to Aeroport Charles de Gaulle in Zone 5) and to Orly via the RER B4 line (travelling to Antony in Zone 3 and changing there to the Orlyval at extra cost). Price of the Mobilis is based on area of coverage you need, from Zone 1 out to Zones 2,3,4,5 or 6.

A Carte Orange is valid from a Monday to the following Sunday. You also need a passport size photo for the Carte Orange. It can be bought for use between as many or as few zones as you need for your travelling. So if staying in Val d'Europe you could buy one for zone 5 only, unless you were planning a visit of Paris.

With all of the above travel cards, to include travel between DLP and Paris you must buy the card/ticket that allows travel between Zones 1 - 5.

You can also buy individual tickets where the price is based on distance travelled e.g. DLRP to Val d'Europe is approx. 1,50 euros. To travel one way between DLP and Paris costs 6,55 euros per ticket - the Billet Ile-de-France. If you buy a carnet (book) of 10 tickets, you receive a discount of 20%, therefore the cost is 52,40 euros - and these tickets have no expiration date. Select "Marne-La-Vallee-Chessy" here, to check the current price to Paris.

Some information on travelling on the Paris subway can be found here - though ticket prices are now out of date.

Local Bus Information

Bus Route Map, Bus Timetables and Layout of Chessy Bus Station

TGV

The TGV is mainly used, in this case, as a quick way to get from CharlesDeGualle Airport to DLP.

Use this site for train times. Choose the station you are departing from (the list should be set to the Ile de France region) and on the next page choose "Search for times" or "Recherche d'horaires"

You can pre book your tickets on these websites - Rail Europe, Voyages-sncf and UK TGV

*Please remember to take all precautions against pickpockets when traveling by public transportation. See this thread for security tips.*

::MickeyMo

Becky this is another very useful resource, which is making our Useful Information sticky hopefully one of the first ports of call for posters :goodvibes

We will arrive in Paris from London at the Nord station. I found a website that implied we would be taking our lives in our hands to go there. I am certain that this is just one man's overreaction. Is it safe if we use good judgement? I am afraid we will look like 3 women who don't have a clue as to what they are doing. Which is exactly true. Thanks for any insights. Grannywishes :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I'm afraid I can't give any opinion on the Gare du Nord, but hopefully somebody else will help you with that. :)

Having studied this map, it looks like you take the RER from Gare du Nord, to Chatelet Les Halles and change there, taking the RER Line A in the direction of "Marne-la-Vallée / Chessy Parcs Disneyland".

I ahven't taken the RER from Paris to DLP, but I have been a couple of times at the Gare du Nord, since that's where the Thalys from Brussels arrives.

I admit, Gare du Nord isn't as safe as Main Street Station, BUT you won't get killed over there, lol!
Everytime I was there, it was during the winter, and there were a lot of homeless people in teh station to get warm, but we didn't feel any risk going out of them. Next to that, there were quite some gypsy (sp?) people, and I didn't feel to save with them, in terms of pickpockets, but that's the case in any major place like train stations and airports.

Make sure you hold on to your purse very well, carry your backpack on your front instead of your back, and watch your suitcases at all times! (Btw, you should do this about everywhere in big cities... Main street USA excluded, lol!)

If you need esplanations about where to go, ask it to "officials": people from teh station, police or military (don't get afraid, there are always military walking around over there!)

Am I correct by reading this that the direct train from DLRP to London leaves only once a day and that's at 18:46? I checked the Eurostar website and saw some earlier times, but I'd have to make a switch at Lille Europe. I didn't see the daily train for 18:46. Could anyone help me out? Thanks!! :wave2:

grannywishes said:
We will arrive in Paris from London at the Nord station. . . Is it safe if we use good judgement? I am afraid we will look like 3 women who don't have a clue as to what they are doing. Which is exactly true. . .

Gare du Nord is a busy station, causing it to be a prime site for petty theft and scams. Definitely use good judgment and take all necessary precautions: Beware of pickpockets; do not leave your bags unattended; do not accept unsolicited offers of assistance; don't accept a taxi from someone who greets you in the station (they're not official taxi drivers); don't stand in the station looking at a map (know your destination and how to get there before you leave the train), etc., etc. etc.

Woody

GordonFA said:
Am I correct by reading this that the direct train from DLRP to London leaves only once a day and that's at 18:46? I checked the Eurostar website and saw some earlier times, but I'd have to make a switch at Lille Europe. I didn't see the daily train for 18:46. Could anyone help me out? Thanks!! :wave2:
Yes earlier trains require switch at Lille. The idea of the non stop later train is scheduled since it is presumed that more would have a day in the park before returning home. To see the later trains you need to press the earlier or later trains tab :)

Is there direct train service from CDG airport to DLP?

If so how often? :wave2:

Is there direct train service from CDG airport to DLP?

If so how often? :wave2:

Just go to http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/fares_schedules/index.htm and type in the "from" section: Paris Cdg Airport and the "to" section: Paris Marne La Vallee Ches along with date and you will get the schedule for when you are going. It is 9 to 10 minute ride.
If you look at original post under TGV and follow those links it will give you the schedule.

We will arrive in Paris from London at the Nord station. I found a website that implied we would be taking our lives in our hands to go there. I am certain that this is just one man's overreaction. Is it safe if we use good judgement? I am afraid we will look like 3 women who don't have a clue as to what they are doing. Which is exactly true. Thanks for any insights. Grannywishes :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

I have always felt quite comfortable inside the station - but there were lots of beggar people outside of it last week (all over the streets). I walked over to the Ed grocery store, and someone heard me speak English - and before I walked out I'd stopped for a moment. So did this person, who then put their hand out. I looked at her and shook my head no.

Know your route when you get there, have your most important items in a money belt. Don't just stand around and look lost. :) What you may encounter in/around Gare du Nord is what you'd encounter anywhere in Paris at anytime - on the RER, on the Metro, etc. Be as familiar ahead of time with what you are doing, and realize that there are people there who want your money and your valuables - protect what you have. Those who ask you for money, those who want your items - they can be anyone, so always be watchful. Carry your backpack/purse in front of you.

Hey Bexx,

maybe you'd like to re-check this and possibly knit in in your opening post:

Another option for just a one day visit, and for use only on the RER, is the Mobilis ticket. NB the Mobilis can not be used for travel to the airport.
I think this isn't correct.

You can use mobilis on all the métro and bus lines. It just can't be used on "special" airport transports (Roissybus or Orlybus/Orlyval etc), but will take you to CDG on RER B3 (Zone 5) or to Orly on RER B4 (Zone 3 = Antony, there change to Orlyval for extra money).

You might further want to add that individual tickets can be obtained in bulks of 10 with a 20% discount and without an expiration date (so they can be saved for a later ride or even be dispensed in groups).

Cheers
Oliver ••••

Thank you Oliver :worship: This is exactly the sort of thing I want to know. I am absolutely not an expert on any of this :blush: - I just try to pretend I am!! :teeth:

You might further want to add that individual tickets can be obtained in bulks of 10 with a 20% discount and without an expiration date (so they can be saved for a later ride or even be dispensed in groups).

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but which tickets does this apply to?

Thank you Oliver :worship: This is exactly the sort of thing I want to know. I am absolutely not an expert on any of this :blush: - I just try to pretend I am!! :teeth:
:rotfl:

Very nice then ;)

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but which tickets does this apply to?
It applies to individual tickets (mentioned at the bottom of your RER chapter). You can get the carnets either with purple 'Billets Ile-de-France' (Paris-DLRP is €6.30 actually, in a carnet of 10 it's €50.40) and of course wirth "normal" tickets for within Paris (the white 'ticket t+').

Oliver ••••

I'm learning Oliver!!

"normal" tickets for within Paris (the white 'ticket t+').

Is this the name of a ticket just issued for travel in Zone 1, or is for any ticket for travel in a single zone e.g. Zone 5

Never been there, 1st timer...We plan on taking the RER, already bought passes for travel...which station should we go into Paris from DLP, safety wise...we plan on staying as late as possible then catching the RER back to DLP two different nights...thanks! :goodvibes

Where will you be? CDG-Etoile is on the Champs Elysees and near Arc de Triomphe. Auber is by the department stores and the Opera. Those are probably both as safe as any metro station is after dark.

You could also take a taxi to Gare de Lyon, but like any station with long distance trains it has more 'interesting' characters. I would personally stay with one of the other two stations

Where will you be? CDG-Etoile is on the Champs Elysees and near Arc de Triomphe. Auber is by the department stores and the Opera. Those are probably both as safe as any metro station is after dark.

You could also take a taxi to Gare de Lyon, but like any station with long distance trains it has more 'interesting' characters. I would personally stay with one of the other two stations

We're going sightseeing, so all over, but we have the parispass and visite thing so we can get practically anywhere...we'll be seeing all the touristy stuff..the louvre, arch, tower, notredame, etc.

We want to take the RER A back and forth 2 days...so we can stay onsite, which I'm told is far safer than looking for a hotel in the middle of Paris

I won't lie, I'm really nervous about traveling around by ourselves. Any tips or things to set my mind at ease?

TIA:goodvibes :goodvibes

I really don't know about the 'safety' aspect - ie I have never NOT felt safe in Paris. Usually I am there for several weeks at a time or even longer; I walk almost every night in various neighbourhoods. I think that it is just being smart as with any travel. As a tourist, you are going to be going to the well populated areas.

There are a lot of people trying to make scams to tourists - just don't acknowledge them. (Typically it is a woman running after you calling 'you speak English?' or someone picking up a 'gold ring' off the ground and asking if you lost it) IGNORE THEM and just keep walking.

Now, having said that, there is a little more of the dubious sort around after dark in the metro stations, and I certainly wouldn't wait until the very last trains at night. But both Auber and CDG Etoile are very busy stations, so you will always have people around you.

The metro is actually how most Parisians get around, so while at home you may be used to people driving, in Paris it is busy all the time on the metro. There are even regular musicians who come and play in the metro cars - I even have my favourites! :laughing:

If you have more specific questions feel free to PM me or start maybe a new thread with a specific question. I think that I saw that you were from Maryland? I have taken the metro many many times in DC and would definitely say that I feel safer overall in Paris

TGV

The TGV is mainly used, in this case, as a quick way to get from CDG Airport to DLP.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page for the TGV timetable between CDG and Marne La Vallee. Or use this site to find the times from CDG to DLP and DLP to CDG.

You can pre book your tickets on these websites - Rail Europe, Voyages-sncf and UK TGV

Thanks bexx for the info on the TGV..............now the question i have to ask as i feel very stupid and foolish i have tried to book this for 2 adults and 2 children it directs me to the advanced option 1st i cannot find CDG airport in the departure and don't seem to be able to proceed with the child bookings is there something obvious that i am missing even though it may be staring me in the face any help is very welcome

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter