Trash will now be taken every day

No, they do not care if someone does not like the policy and don't come back. They are banking on getting new customers. The new ones tend to spend more money etc.

They care about keeping customers safe...which yes, ultimately protects the bottom line.

No business wants to lose customers over a policy change. But at some point you have to decide which is the greater good. Disney isn't making these changes to alienate guests. They don't want to lose customers. It isn't a veiled excuse to rifle through luggage or check room occupancy.

It's about doing what their security professionals--and perhaps insurance companies--feel is necessary to safeguard their tens-of-thousands of guests in 2018.

Of course they "care" if someone doesn't come back. But the need for safety trumps that personal comfort.

They care about keeping customers safe...which yes, ultimately protects the bottom line.

No business wants to lose customers over a policy change. But at some point you have to decide which is the greater good. Disney isn't making these changes to alienate guests. They don't want to lose customers. It isn't a veiled excuse to rifle through luggage or check room occupancy.

It's about doing what their security professionals--and perhaps insurance companies--feel is necessary to safeguard their tens-of-thousands of guests in 2018.

Of course they "care" if someone doesn't come back. But the need for safety trumps that personal comfort.

That safety reason is a crock.

No, they do not care if someone does not like the policy and don't come back. They are banking on getting new customers. The new ones tend to spend more money etc.

I doubt that is what Disney is thinking. Any businessman will tell you it costs more to acquire new customers (advertising, promotions) than to keep the ones you have happy. Again, they will do what they have to do to keep their insurance policies in place, as is Hilton Hotels, who has announced a similar policy worldwide. As every hotel, motel, resort, timeshare and B&B needs insurance, expect this everywhere as the insurance policies roll over.

Which is exactly what I said, they care, they just don't care about the same things you do. Making everyone 100% happy is not going to happen if that increases safety risks for their customers and risks their brand. And yes, there are people who will come after you, there is very little economic risk to Disney in alienating a DVC member. But if this is becoming a vacationing norm - if Hilton and other large chains do this as well - then its a new norm - and if you want to vacation, this may be the reality if you want a corporate stay (I sort of doubt it will be the new norm if you rent a cabin in Northern Wisconsin for vacation.)

And you know this....how? Huge lawsuits are pending against Mandalay Bay, and not inspecting the rooms could be considered negligence in a lawsuit. You know who would have to pay to settle such a lawsuit at a DVC property? Hint....not Disney.

Orlando Sentinel: "Disney declined to say whether the shooting prompted the change for its policy but said it made the decision for a variety of factors, including safety, security and the guest experience."

If you believe that to be a bald-faced lie, what is your theory for Disney investing the time and money in this process? It's clearly a procedure which stands to upset some guests, and perhaps lose them some business. So if not for security, why do it? And why lie about the motivation?

And you know this....how? Huge lawsuits are pending against Mandalay Bay, and not inspecting the rooms could be considered negligence in a lawsuit. You know who would have to pay to settle such a lawsuit at a DVC property? Hint....not Disney.

They will be inspecting our rooms while we are in the parks, shopping or dining. I don't buy their reasons. I find it creepy. And I have every right to my opinions.

What are your creditials on safety, risk management and terrorism?

Mine are spending a year working for a large utility company in eSecurity, specifically dealing with terrorist threats against the electrical grid (that job will cause a LOT of sleepless nights). In addition, I've had significant training in risk management, and am an accountant by training, so I understand ROI and brand management. My opinion is that this solution is about the least they can do to reduce the threat, and they need to do this much. It isn't perfect, but no security solution ever is.

Do you lock your doors when you leave your home? Do you lock them even though you know that someone intent on breaking into your house can probably get in by breaking a window? That even if you use alarms, that there are ways to disable alarms if someone is intent on getting in? But I bet you lock your doors when you leave your house anyway - even though it only reduces the risk of a break in, it doesn't remove it. Locking your doors isn't a crock.

They will be inspecting our rooms while we are in the parks, shopping or dining. I don't buy their reasons. I find it creepy. And I have every right to my opinions.

You have every right to your opinions. You do not have any right to alternative facts. If you state that the security rationale is a crock, that is a statement of fact, and you'll need to back that one up.

You have every right to your opinions. You do not have any right to alternative facts. If you state that the security rationale is a crock, that is a statement of fact, and you'll need to back that one up.

I do not believe their reason for coming into the rooms daily is for security only. I am entitled to my beliefs and my opinions. I do not appreciated being attacked for not thinking the same way you do.

Last edited:

What do you think their actual intentions are, then? While I really doubt if Disney people care whether I live or die while in Illinois, I am very certain they do not want me dying while at Disney World. Not due to personal care for me, but due to the awful headlines and lawsuits that would come with my death.
I hate to bring up the poor boy who was tragically killed by the alligator, but that shows how much Disney hates to have bad things happen on their property. People over all sorts of media immediately started discussing what Disney should have done differently. Attendance at the parks dipped that summer. I am sure if they could have had a redo, they would have done a lot differently. They are trying to prevent something similar, but potentially much worse, in the future by making these changes.

It also would not surprise me to see them institute inspections of cars upon arrival at resorts. We drove to Vegas from Texas after 9/11. Drove over to the Bellagio for lunch. Mom and a friend were on the trip as well. We had to exit the car and open the trunk for inspection prior to being allowed into the parking structure. Nor would I be surprised if luggage was scanned prior to delivery using DME, though that would seem redundant considering it was likely done prior to being loaded onto the plane for the trip to Orlando.

Last edited:
It also would not surprise me to see them institute inspections of cars upon arrival at resorts. I remember going to Vegas after 9/11. Drove over to the Bellagio for lunch. Mom and a friend were on the trip as well. We had to exit the car and open the trunk for inspection prior to being allowed into the parking structure.

The big difference there is how densely populated the Vegas strip is. Any sort of explosive would do massive damage. Disney World is more sprawling, so the impact would be greatly lessened. The biggest concern at Disney is anything entering the parks.

Of course you have a right to your opinion. And I'm not thrilled about having the rooms entered, but it is what it is. But this is a discussion forum, and since you are saying you don't believe that the entry is for just for security or insurance, folks are wondering what you believe the reason could be? WHy would Disney go through the added expense? I doubt it is just to snoop. Security and insurance (perhaps in response to a credible threat) are the only reasons that make sense to me.

Of course you have a right to your opinion. And I'm not thrilled about having the rooms entered, but it is what it is. But this is a discussion forum, and since you are saying you don't believe that the entry is for just for security or insurance, folks are wondering what you believe the reason could be? Why would Disney go through the added expense? I doubt it is just to snoop. Security and insurance (perhaps in response to a credible threat) are the only reasons that make sense to me.

I feel like I treated like a criminal going through the airports. Even with Nexus passes it is still very unpleasant. Airlines treat you like cattle. Now I will treated like a suspect in room I am paying for.

Maybe Disney wants to ensure the room is not being damaged while you are there, or the want to see what your spending habits are. I just do not believe their sole purpose of inspecting our room while we are away is for safety.

Now please leave me alone on this subject, I already feel like I am being attacked for not feeling the same as others.

Somewhat off topic, but "New Coke" (tastes like Pepsi) allowed Coca Cola to stop producing the original product long enough to make people forget the original taste. The pre-New Coke Coca Cola product used cane sugar while the newer version of Coca Cola (called "coke classic" when introduced, and now just "Coke") uses high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). If you want to have an eye opening experience, get yourself a bottle of Coca Cola bottled in Mexico (cane syrup based) and compare that to what you get from your local bottler using HFCS. There is a significant difference in flavor profile between the two. Since HFCS is significantly cheaper than cane sugar, who is to say that Coca Cola didn't think it all through?

Continuing off topic for a moment - I was explaining the whole New Coke debacle to my nephew and his wife while we ate at Satu'li Canteen this fall. :laughing: It was prompted by the newest Coke change Coke Zero Sugar that you could interpret as either Coke Zero - Sugar or as they want Coke - Zero Sugar. A different thing but Coke decisions have been confusing at times.

Haha thanks for the visual assistance. 8 days in a studio and I never noticed that. Now that strangers will be barging into the room at random times, I will make sure to make use of it. That is, if I can get my whole family into one of those studios again.

It's not where a normal latch would be and could easily be missed. ::yes::

It also would not surprise me to see them institute inspections of cars upon arrival at resorts. We drove to Vegas from Texas after 9/11. Drove over to the Bellagio for lunch. Mom and a friend were on the trip as well. We had to exit the car and open the trunk for inspection prior to being allowed into the parking structure. Nor would I be surprised if luggage was scanned prior to delivery using DME, though that would seem redundant considering it was likely done prior to being loaded onto the plane for the trip to Orlando.

I remember when the only car "search" we would experience was for fruit when crossing into California or Canada. That prompted my dad to power down an apple he was not going to throw out before heading to Calgary. :teeth:

I remember when the only car "search" we would experience was for fruit when crossing into California or Canada. That prompted my dad to power down an apple he was not going to throw out before heading to Calgary. :teeth:

I remember those border inspections at California. :)

For what it's worth, I do not think anyone was attempting to attack you, rather trying to figure out what you may be seeing that others are not.

I feel like I treated like a criminal going through the airports. Even with Nexus passes it is still very unpleasant. Airlines treat you like cattle. Now I will treated like a suspect in room I am paying for.

Since there is no way to easily identify the bad folks, there's really no other choice. The guy in Vegas was a frequent guest of the hotel and to this day nobody seems to know his motivation. There have been school shootings, workplace shootings, public bombings...few of which could have been stopped with mere profiling. (And the ACLU typically has a field day with profiling.)

Maybe Disney wants to ensure the room is not being damaged while you are there, or the want to see what your spending habits are. I just do not believe their sole purpose of inspecting our room while we are away is for safety.

Room damage could be determined after guests leave...though I've yet to hear any actual stories of people being charged-back for damage. To hotels, everything but the most blatantly destructive acts are considered the cost of doing business. Purchases can be more effectively tracked a dozen other ways: MagicBands, ADRs, room chargebacks, credit card records, etc.

Disney has better things to do than send clipboard-toting Cast Members to 30,000 rooms, nosing around for personal info. I guarantee you these people aren't going to be poking through suitcases or noting what brand of deodorant you use.

If you have concerns, make arrangements for them to come while you are in the room. Disney has already said they'll accommodate that. But it appears Hilton hotels are adopting similar policies, some in Vegas already have including Wynn and MGM Grand properties. I'll be shocked of most hotel chains don't soon have internal policies dictating that they visit every room on a daily basis. In most cases, it will just be usual daily housekeeping visits. And that's exactly what this is shrouded as--a daily room visit to empty trash.

Throughout the hospitality industry, I suspect the practice of hanging the DND tag and not being bothered for days is quickly ending.

I realize some people are willing to trade personal security for privacy. But hotels and other businesses cannot always afford to respect those wishes. Criminals are the first ones who would raise their hands to opt out. Don't expect MY family to remain at risk because the guy one floor above us wants to do lord-knows-what while holed up privately in his room for a week.

facebook twitter