Tracking Cruising Restart: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious to see if all of these mask requirements, virtual queues & restrictions to kids club, theatre capacity, etc... (assuming that is what it is like when DCL returns to cruising in the US)....will last BEYOND the Nov. 1 CSO. I'm *really* hoping not! I don't mind some social distancing provisions - less people in a space is always nice - but I want flexibility to send my kid down to the Edge whenever she wants, to grab a quick game of mini-golf on Deck 13, etc... and, most of all, I do NOT want to be wearing a mask! Mask mandates are already loosening up where I live...I can't imagine going mask free for a few months and then having to put one on for my December cruise! Yuck!
I am so torn about what I think will happen... I have been watching coverage of the Celebrity sailing going on right now and they are all vaccinated, but they look so normal... no masks, distancing, et al.

want flexibility to send my kid down to the Edge whenever she wants
I think it’s just the Club/Lab that is requiring scheduled times for the UK cruises, not Edge or Vibe. Of course, anything could change before US cruises restart.

In a webinar for travel agents today Celebrity released more details about their health and safety protocols for their US sailings, including their sailings from Florida starting on June 26th and how they intend to thread the needle between the 95% vaccination requirement they'll be sailing under and Florida law. This is my summary:
  • Guests 16 and older (12 and older starting August 1st) will be asked to provide proof of vaccination at check-in (in the form of a CDC vaccination card).
  • Guests who are unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination will be assumed to be unvaccinated. (It is possible that outside of Florida adults who decline to provide proof of vaccination will be denied boarding entirely, but it's not clear from the written materials that the Florida rules are actually different.)
  • Unvaccinated guests will be capacity controlled at less than 5% of passengers (which presumably means that they could be denied boarding if more people decline to provide proof than they expect, although they didn't say it outright).
  • Unvaccinated guests must undergo a COVID test at the port before embarkation, and on sailings of more than 4 nights they will have to undergo a second test on-board prior to their return to the US. These tests will be complementary for children and other people ineligible for the vaccine, but will be at the expense of the guests for those over 16 (and 12 after August 1st).
  • Masks are not required for vaccinated guests and children 15 and younger. Unvaccinated guests 16 or older will be required to wear a mask in all public areas except while eating or drinking.
  • Self-directed port excursions are permitted except where restricted by local law; however, unvaccinated guests may not be allowed to go ashore at all at certain ports.

Last edited:

Yeah - if I have to make reservations for everything, I will be cancelling our 9/25 cruise. It’s too much money to have to plan everything down to the minute. That is not a vacation for me. I’m really hoping they will do like RCL and have 2 different sets of rules for vaccinated vs unvaccinated. But I seriously doubt they will since so many are willing to pay DCL prices for a reduced/restrictive experience. Hopefully by Christmas those restrictions will be lifted. This just gets more and more depressing for me (after 5 crises cancelled - it’s just too much disappointment).

Last edited:
In a webinar for travel agents today Celebrity released more details about their health and safety protocols for their US sailings, including their sailings from Florida starting on June 26th and how they intend to thread the needle between the 95% vaccination requirement they'll be sailing under and Florida law. This is my summary:
  • Guests 16 and older (12 and older starting August 1st) will be asked to provide proof of vaccination at check-in (in the form of a CDC vaccination card).
  • Guests who are unable or unwilling to provide proof of vaccination will be assumed to be unvaccinated. (It is possible that outside of Florida adults who decline to provide proof of vaccination will be denied boarding entirely, but it's not clear from the written materials that the Florida rules are actually different.)
  • Unvaccinated guests will be capacity controlled at less than 5% of passengers (which presumably means that they could be denied boarding if more people decline to provide proof than they expect, although they didn't say it outright).
  • Unvaccinated guests must undergo a COVID test at the port before embarkation, and on sailings of more than 4 nights they will have to undergo a second test on-board prior to their return to the US. These tests will be complementary for children and other people ineligible for the vaccine, but will be at the expense of the guests for those over 16 (and 12 after August 1st).
  • Masks are not required for vaccinated guests and children 15 and younger. Unvaccinated guests 16 or older will be required to wear a mask in all public areas except while eating or drinking.
  • Self-directed port excursions are permitted except where restricted by local law; however, unvaccinated guests may not be allowed to go ashore at all at certain ports.

How are they going to be able to tell unvaccinated guests from vaccinated guests?

One thing that would be really helpful was if the CDC lowered that percentage if it was 100% vaccinated for all who were eligible. That would make it easier to allow kids until the vaccine goes below 12 while trying to manage to that 95 number. That could be a logistics nightmare if there is also a flexible cancellation policy.

Except that makes no sense.

So you could in theory have a boat which is 20% or 30% or 50% non-vaccinated where that group also has "poor" viral hygiene and that would be okay. Yet on the otherside there is a huge todo about more than 5% of adults not being vaccinated.

Sorry there is no way that could be allowed while the CDC tries to push other policies.

starting on June 26th

Question if someone wasn't vaccinated and didn't want to go can they get their money back?

I am just wondering because there seems to be a big risk and it would only help the cruiseline in the end anyways hit the 95%.

Also be interested in policy because what happens if they deny you boarding? Just money back? Just a credit?

Has to be a wristband that is colored or something right? Or maybe a key card that you have to wear around your neck?
I would assume so, but they haven't detailed it. They seem pretty confident that very very few people are going to take them up on the unvaccinated route ... like, confident enough that I wonder if they're going to take further action to tilt it in that direction like make the required testing absurdly expensive.
Question if someone wasn't vaccinated and didn't want to go can they get their money back?

I am just wondering because there seems to be a big risk and it would only help the cruiseline in the end anyways hit the 95%.

Also be interested in policy because what happens if they deny you boarding? Just money back? Just a credit?
Their Cruise with Confidence program gives full FCC for cancellation for any reason up to 48 hours before sailing, but right now there isn't any provision for a refund unless someone tests positive for COVID. For quite a while the COVID section of the cruise contract for Celebrity has warned that periodic testing, masks, distancing, port restrictions, etc. may be required so contractually they're pretty well covered, but I think that there is a good chance that they'll still be somewhat flexible as a goodwill measure.

Yeah, probably. I don’t know any other way to enforce this.
Yeah, I think a simple "No wristband = Not Vaccinated" would work. Lose your wristband and get a new one at Guest Services with proof of Vax. Or color coded so everyone has to have a wristband, regardless of vax status.

I'm not sure that capacity controlling the ship to only 5% of unvaccinated is enough to get around the law.

I'm not sure that capacity controlling the ship to only 5% of unvaccinated is enough to get around the law.
Honestly, my impression is that their main plan is to make health and safety measures for unvaccinated guests so expensive and/or unpleasant that most won’t want to be there in the first place, and then use the 5% for kids (not many on Celebrity) and those who want to be there despite that. There’s a bit of hint of this in that they’re treating kids differently than those who are eligible but choose not to be vaccinated. They only run into difficulty if they end up having to deny embarkation to someone to meet the capacity controls—maybe they’re willing to pay the fine then (which would presumably only apply for each instance in which they deny boarding).

My sense (based on the TA session yesterday) was that RCI expects to be fined for any of the guests that they have to turn away for refusing/unable to show vaccination proof. Everyone else is voluntarily showing it to not have the testing/masks/restrictions/extra charges. Clearly RCI's attorneys think it will work and I suspect Celebrity and Carnival will follow suit if it seems like the better way to go to reduce (not totally avoid) the fines.

Why isn't DCL doing something like this? Or have an exec put out videos, like other lines have done, explaining where they are at, and how they plan on resuming operations, and what they expect it will look like? Their complete silence and disregard for their guests by leaving them in the dark and twisting in the wind is very frustrating.

I'm frustrated also. Another cruise cancelled. Decided maybe to try Disney World later in year
but the rental car shortage makes that difficult because we definitely will need one. Now
im back to looking at booking another cruise....once DCL knows for sure what will happen.8-)

Why isn't DCL doing something like this? Or have an exec put out videos, like other lines have done, explaining where they are at, and how they plan on resuming operations, and what they expect it will look like? Their complete silence and disregard for their guests by leaving them in the dark and twisting in the wind is very frustrating.
Honestly, be thankful all we have is silence from DCL. It is preferable to the back and forth of other lines. Every day their stories change and it frustrates their customers even more than we are. On Monday Carnival sent out press releases saying that their July sailings from Galveston would be 100% vaccine, no kids under 12. Then yesterday they sent emails to customers saying a "small number" of kids under 12 will be allowed to sail. People over there are pissed and the confusion, especially those that cancelled between Monday and the email going out on Tuesday.

No news is good news (for now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter