Total newbie to Universal

Laneyg

Mouseketeer
We're a family of 5 and we'd really like to go to Universal Studios sometime soon. We've done Disney and I did tons or research and I feel like I know everything there is to know about Disney, but I know absolutely nothing about Universal!
I feel like I need to start with knowing the basics before I go deeper with research, but I'm not even sure what all to ask. Here's where I'll start though:

I guess there are two parks? Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure? Is that like the 4 parks in Disney? Are they totally different or what?

Are there meal plans? Park Hoppers? Hotels on property? Fast passes?

I don't even know all of the different themes/characters that are there. I know there's Harry Potter and we're huge fans, so I think we'd want to see everything there is to see involving all that. I guess there's superhero things too... we're not the biggest fans of superheroes so we wouldn't care about any character experiences (if there even are any). We do love all rides though!

Our Disney trips are usually 10 days and I still feel like we don't get everything in that we'd like to. But this can't be a 10 day trip. How many days are ideal and what's the minimum number of days would we want to get a decent experience?

Do you just book through universalstudios.com or is there a cheaper/better way to go?

Any other tips for someone who really isn't sure where to start?
Thanks so much!

I'd start with www.universalorlando.com

You will learn about all rides, shows, eateries, etc in both parks

Www.citywalk.com another part of UO

Some time periods have crowds especially summer, spring break and holidays

Read schumigirl's trip reports that she has written the past years

You will see a lot of the parks pictures and will feel you are walking behind her
With reading thru the above, you will catch on quickly

You'll be a pro before you step foot in the hotel and parks

Read the stickys
For additional info

Use the quick access sticky to find needed sites that involve UO

Definitely look over the links and stickies above. But, some thoughts...3 days is a great duration to start. You'll want park to park tickets as Harry Potter fans. Stay at one of the 5 onsite hotels (3 of which include express passes).

The parks are very similar in layout to Disneyland CA- right next to each other (walking takes less than 10 min or you just take the Hogwarts Express). Think about Universal as one big park that's divided in half. CityWalk is right there too. Everything about it is manageable and easy.

It's not Disney. Start by tabling your Disney comparisons and compare it more to other theme parks you visit. It'll be easier than trying to fit Universal into Disney terms. :)

Following... We're in the same boat. We're planning on 2 days at Universal before a week at Disney this summer. Our kids are Harry Potter fans, but our oldest son and my husband are also thrill ride junkies so they'll enjoy the roller coasters too.

One question I have -- can you only ride the Hogwarts Express with a Park-to-Park ticket? Or can you ride but not disembark it the other park (sort of like taking the monorail from MK to Epcot)?

Also -- the dining plan -- are the Harry Potter world restaurants included in this?

Thanks!

Following... We're in the same boat. We're planning on 2 days at Universal before a week at Disney this summer. Our kids are Harry Potter fans, but our oldest son and my husband are also thrill ride junkies so they'll enjoy the roller coasters too.

One question I have -- can you only ride the Hogwarts Express with a Park-to-Park ticket? Or can you ride but not disembark it the other park (sort of like taking the monorail from MK to Epcot)?

Also -- the dining plan -- are the Harry Potter world restaurants included in this?

Thanks!
If you could do 3 days, that'd be great. :). Just saying. :)
Yes, you need park to park to ride the HE. No other option.
The dining plan can be purchased when you're there. See if it'll really save you $ once you get there. But, yes the HP restaurants are included. The dining plan info is all on the Universal site.

I guess there are two parks? Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure? Is that like the 4 parks in Disney? Are they totally different or what?

Yes, these are two separate theme parks. They are located close to each other. You can walk between them in 10 minutes or so. You can also take the Hogwarts Express (train) between them. You need to have park-to-park tickets, similar to park hoppers at WDW.

Are there meal plans? Park Hoppers? Hotels on property? Fast passes?

Universal is different yet similar so I will try to explain. There is a meal plan. I find that it restricts what you can and can't have. Food prices at USO are reasonable and we just buy what we want and skip the plan.

The park-to-park upgrade on the tickets is like hoppers. The parks are so close together, it is a good value. At WDW it takes and hour out of your day to hop. At Uni, hopping can be a super-fun attraction such as Hogwarts Express.

There is a system called Express Pass. You can buy it separately each day. It allows you to enter a shorter queue the same way that fastpass does. Only there is no scheduling and it covers 95% of all rides at USO. If going during high crowd times, it is an awesome perk!

There are 5 hotels on property. Three of them are deluxe hotels that cost more, and they include the EP for everyone staying in the room for the length of their stay. That can save $100's over buying the EP separately everyday. The other two hotels are cheaper and do not include the EP. All hotels give you the added privilege of entering one of the theme park an hour before the public rope drop. All of the hotels are beautiful and have rooms that can accommodate 5 people.

I don't even know all of the different themes/characters that are there. I know there's Harry Potter and we're huge fans, so I think we'd want to see everything there is to see involving all that. I guess there's superhero things too... we're not the biggest fans of superheroes so we wouldn't care about any character experiences (if there even are any). We do love all rides though!

Download the Universal app to your phone. You can study the parks maps that way.

Our Disney trips are usually 10 days and I still feel like we don't get everything in that we'd like to. But this can't be a 10 day trip. How many days are ideal and what's the minimum number of days would we want to get a decent experience?

Our first trip was two days, one day for each park. Then we did four days, to enjoy the hotel resorts and see everything and eat at more places. Then we did a week staying deluxe at club level. We checked out all of the other resorts (you are allowed to pool hop). Our last stay was 10 days, touring at a leisurly pace that made for a wonderful vacation.

Do you just book through universalstudios.com or is there a cheaper/better way to go?

The packages that are offered usually have stipulations that handcuff you and charge high fees for changes. Most of us here on the boards book hotel via the hotel, and buy tickets from undercovertourist.

Any other tips for someone who really isn't sure where to start?

Yes, keep reading these boards. Search the boards for your key words. Many of these threads have described all these issues before. Have fun!

Buy the Coke freestyle cup
Don't buy Express Pass is worthless, take that money a stay at the HardRock will give you the EP and early entrance (Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey don't offer express line entrance)
Buy TWO park Same day ticket only if you plan to Hop or Ride The Hogward Express everyday ( in my opinion there is no need to hop, but don't miss the HE)
They do have a pre-paid Meal plan Skip it! you're new explore the park food offerings
Do eat at one of the Harry Potter restaurant
There is no soda sold at any of the Harry Potter land, refill your coke freestyle before or you will be paying for overprice water, lemonade or Iced tea.
If you don't stay on property and have to park don't pay for "preferred" parking, valet parking is maybe $5 more but way closer than anything
Bring ponchos! or a change of clothes Island of adventure water rides are no joke!
Parks are similar, but different themed they both have "lands" but IoA have more trill rides while Universal is more kids oriented
Be there early! specially if not staying on property, the walk from the parking garage to the actual park entrance is long, longer than the one on Animal kingdom
they also have photopass check if is worth it for you
Take advance of single rider lines at Transformers and Spiderman the queues are not that great

Thanks a MILLION!! These are great responses to get me started!

I should have also mentioned, we're thinking of February (2018). It's my birthday :) Is that a good time for crowds? Weather? Etc...

Presidents' Day weekend and the week after will be pretty busy. You'll have Mardi Gras by end of Feb. too. Your best bet is early February for low crowds.

Add in Valentine's Day as hotels fill up if it hits a weekend date

Mardi Gras begins early feb

This year it starts Saturday feb 4

I'll be there that day next month

Hmmm, could do early March too. Before spring break maybe...

not so fast........:laughing:

when i lived up North, spring break for schools and colleges started March 2 or whatever that first monday of the month was.
i've been reading how some parts of the country have spring break into April.

i'll be in orlando january 29 - feb 4 and i'm not expecting any crowds.
seems like the last week of january and first week of february is a calmer time period.

anytime up to presidents day is good usually

not so fast........:laughing:

when i lived up North, spring break for schools and colleges started March 2 or whatever that first monday of the month was.
i've been reading how some parts of the country have spring break into April.

i'll be in orlando january 29 - feb 4 and i'm not expecting any crowds.
seems like the last week of january and first week of february is a calmer time period.

anytime up to presidents day is good usually

One of my friends was there last week Jan into February last year and it was very quiet........they loved it.........

We go to Disney every year and I am the planner in the family. Believe the nice people here when they say you have very little planning to do. We didn't make any dining reservations, with the exception of heading to early entry for HP we just toured in a circle stopping to enjoy whatever we came up upon. There are some shows so if you have your heart set glance at the schedule to be in the right place at the right time.

Look into buying tickets at an authorized reseller. I got 2 day 2 park with a bonus day free from UT. Then I was able to upgrade while there to a Seasonal AP for only $35. Now I have a year minus blackout dates to revisit and also qualify for AP discounts on hotel rooms. You can book an AP rate room, buy it once you get there and then show it to the front desk.

Stay in one of the top three resorts and get the express pass included. We walked onto everything!

Cowfish in Citywalk was delicious.

Have an awesome time!

"We go to Disney every year and I am the planner in the family. Believe the nice people here when they say you have very little planning to do. We didn't make any dining reservations, with the exception of heading to early entry for HP we just toured in a circle stopping to enjoy whatever we came up upon. There are some shows so if you have your heart set glance at the schedule to be in the right place at the right time. "

(I can't find the "quote" function?!)

Anyway though, I am really happy to hear that. Planning Disney trips is really fun and I love it but I am excited at the thought of just... going! Stumbling across things! Well, I'll still have a LITTLE plan I'm sure :)

Another Universal FL newbie here:

We're an older couple. No kids. We have one day (early March) as we pass through Orlando. I am planning on the one park tix for Universal Studios (wife hates thrill rides so that leaves out the other park, right?) without the Harry Potter thing and also checking out CityWalk after the park closes.

A few questions if I may:
  1. There is a parking garage?
  2. The garage makes me very nervous, is there an alternative?
  3. Is the parking for Universal Studios and CityWalk the same?
  4. Is there an entrance fee for CityWalk?
This is just to start. This board was a HUGE help when we visited Disney in '08. In fact what I learned on these pages really made that visit. So, mille grazie (1000 thanks) in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Yes there is one enclosed parking garage to serve city walk and the parks

Safe and secure place

City walk is free
Www.citywalk.com has a lot of info on their site

Guest parking at the hotels is expensive
$22+tax
City walk garage is less
It also has movable sidewalks

Security checks are done at the beginning of the walkway

HC parking available w/ placard

Forgot to add, valet parking by the hour
But I feel it is expensive
I think I have a direct link for the parking garage in the quick access links sticky

Or you can go to www.universalorlando.com and find the section for parking info

Thanks! That helps.

So if we planned to stay at Universal Studios until 8pm (closing time the day we're going) then go to CityWalk afterwards, I should just park in the CityWalk garage close to whatever is on the other end of the walkway behind Bubba Gump, spend the day in the park, walk over from Universal and then go through that walkway to leave the facility. It's hard to figure out from the maps.

Sorry to be a nudge, but:

1. Is the walk from Universal long?
  2. How about the walk back to the garage?
  3. How late is CityWalk open?

Thanks again. This is the right place for this right?

The thread are newbies questions so you are fine here to ask questions

The garage is open to one hour after city walk closes down

City walk closes at 2:00 am

From the parking garage to the walkway you will see signs where to go

At the beginning of city walk, you will see bubba grump restaurant on your left
Walk straight on this walkway
Movie theater, restaurants, shops, cinema, etc is city walk

When you see margaritavile on your left, IOA park is straight ahead
Studios will be to the right

Two pathways both will get you to the studios park

It could be 5 minutes at the most from the start of CW to margaritavile area

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter