Top Chef All Stars: LA

Glad to find this thread. Been a Top Chef fan since the beginning, although along the way, seem to have missed several episodes of several seasons. Might try and go back and watch if I can find them. I used to like Restaurant wars, but quit after they started eliminating great chefs, who just happened to be on a losing team (Tre, Kristin, and now Kevin,) Kevin should've been in the top 3, so hopefully he'll keep winning LCK., but happy for Gregory. He's great too!

Sorry - had a bit of long weekend blues so I didn't do my usual summary of the main show. Long story short, a chef that has had a surprisingly poor season got the boot.

But here is Last Chance Kitchen:

LCK: Eggs 3 Ways Race
- It is time another LCK battle. It's gonna be an uphill climb for the challenger. Can they beat the reigning champ?
- Contestants:
Kevin (c) vs Lee Anne, who in fairness HAS won LCK before
- Tom brings in the eliminated chefs/peanut gallery
- As usual, Tom gives some context for the challenge. In this case, the brunch challenge.
- Because the losing team ended up having no egg dishes, Tom asks for 3 perfect egg dishes.
- The catch is that it's a three-stage race - Over Easy, then French Omelette, then Eggs Benedict, which can be customized but must have a poached egg.
- Tom will judge the eggs as they're served, but the chefs can move on to the next round after they deliver the egg(s) to him.
- 30 minutes, as usual.
- Champ's strategy is to get through the first two so that they can do the more complex parts of the benny, like hollandaise.
- Both chefs get the over easy egg in quickly. Champ's egg seems a bit better.
- Champ gets their omelette in, and they have 23 minutes to make Eggs Benedict
- Challenger messes up the first omelette, but gets the second done right and finishes with butter
- Tom seems to like it better.
- Champ decides to turn the english muffin into a crouton, as they're deconstructing the dish, adding asparagus and prosciutto.
- "I love the word 'deconstructed', it's very 2006."
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ConcernedGrimAurochs-size_restricted.gif- Challenger gets distracted when Tom comes around, and cuts their knuckle, thus losing more time.
- They also use asparagus, but they mix it with nori and bacon
- Challenger decides to use a Hawaiian bun with parmesean and a miso-mustard "hollandaise" that is closer to a beurre blanc.
- Tom hands out pretzels for some reason.
- Peanut gallery is doing a good job of heckling
- Challenger has the eggs poached with 7 minutes remaining. Tom thinks it's a risk as they might get cold
- Tom and the peanut gallery are getting silly, which makes me think that Nilou is on the sidelines handing them drinks or something.

Tasting
- Challenger: Asparagus, pancetta eggs benedict with nori and miso hollandaise
- Champion: Roasted asparagus, prosciutto poached egg and fried english muffin.
- So as expected, first round champ, second round challenger.
- The final dishes, Tom naturally loves them both, but it comes down to the egg.
- And the winner, by 29-28 score,
Kevin. Apparently Lee Anne's nori and pancetta combination made the egg taste fishy, which is kind of surprising.
- Tom lied last week, as apparently there will be one more LCK battle before there is an opportunity to get back in. So I think that's two more battles?

It was a good one. I was a little surprised, though. Anyone know how long ago this was taped? Obviously, the Olympics were postponed a couple of months ago.

I swear they’re keeping on the villain for ratings.🤣😂 After his pompous interview before the quick fire, “I was a star on The Taste, so I better get these right!” I laughed and laughed he got last place. Ugh, can you please just get eliminated now? Please. You annoy me to no end.

Great LCK. Very happy with outcome of it too!

I swear they’re keeping on the villain for ratings.🤣😂 After his pompous interview before the quick fire, “I was a star on The Taste, so I better get these right!” I laughed and laughed he got last place. Ugh, can you please just get eliminated now? Please. You annoy me to no end.

Great LCK. Very happy with outcome of it too!
Oh... what happened in LCK?

Oh... what happened in LCK?

As you know, Karen was eliminated again. So she went into LCK to duel with the current winner, Kevin. Tom made them make a dish highlighting tea. Both put out great dishes, but Kevin had the edge and won.

That was just part 1 of the last dance to get back into the competition.
Queue in the remaining competitors.

Kevin now has to face off against 3 of the remaining cheftestants to earn his spot back in. It is head to head duels, he has to win 2 of 3 rounds.

Kevin gets to pick what chef he wants to go up against.
That chef gets to pick what category of ingredients: shells, roots, fruits/nuts, or stinky foods.
Tom then gets to pick what dish they will make.

Round 1:
Kevin chose Malarkey.
Malarkey chose shells.
Tom tells them to make risotto.
Winner: Kevin

Round 2:
Kevin chose Voltaggio.
Voltaggio chose stinky foods.
Tom tells them to make soup.
Winner: Voltaggio.

Round 3:
Kevin asks if anyone wants to volunteer. Gregory raises his hand.
Gregory chose fruit/nuts.
Tom tells them to make something with dough.
Winner: Kevin

Kevin is back in the competition!

YES! Good bye, Malarkey! :wave2:

Quickfire: in 20 years of flying I never served pork because it would be shoe leather like Malarkey’s quickfire was. I laughed at Padma trying to cut it! And I couldn’t see the tofu salad going over well with the FC masses, but Melissa’s dish did look nice.

Elimination: I’m not totally heartless as I did feel bad that Malarkey’s plates went to a different table, but that wasn’t the reason he went home. No doubt, I would’ve been upset too. That really did stink.

However, he said the two don’t go together ... but they’re on the same plate?!?! Like owner Michael said, that dish had 45 ingredients in contrast to the restaurants theme of simple 4 or 5 elevated ingredients.

I am thankful he didn’t quit because I think that would’ve messed with Gregory’s head.

Happy with the final 5. I’m still rooting for Kevin, (Melissa is close second) but any of them would be deserving. I guess my least favorite is Stephanie, but only by a tiny fraction.

Although I loved her saying her favorite Padma was champagne Padma! :laughing:

YES! Good bye, Malarkey! :wave2:

Quickfire: in 20 years of flying I never served pork because it would be shoe leather like Malarkey’s quickfire was. I laughed at Padma trying to cut it! And I couldn’t see the tofu salad going over well with the FC masses, but Melissa’s dish did look nice.

Elimination: I’m not totally heartless as I did feel bad that Malarkey’s plates went to a different table, but that wasn’t the reason he went home. No doubt, I would’ve been upset too. That really did stink.

However, he said the two don’t go together ... but they’re on the same plate?!?! Like owner Michael said, that dish had 45 ingredients in contrast to the restaurants theme of simple 4 or 5 elevated ingredients.

I am thankful he didn’t quit because I think that would’ve messed with Gregory’s head.

Happy with the final 5. I’m still rooting for Kevin, (Melissa is close second) but any of them would be deserving. I guess my least favorite is Stephanie, but only by a tiny fraction.

Although I loved her saying her favorite Padma was champagne Padma! :laughing:

I was worried right up until she said pack your knives. I’m so happy with this group going into the finale.

I was worried right up until she said pack your knives. I’m so happy with this group going into the finale.

Me too. Both elements were cooked perfectly for Malarkey. And any time you leave something off like Gregory, it’s a killer. Especially when Waxmen asked about it! 🤦‍♀️That prosciutto added texture and salt. I was sweating it out.

I’ll admit, at first I was thinking yes, quit Malarkey, quit! Your ego won’t let you get eliminated. Ok, I was wrong ... but I’ve been waiting for this elimination since episode 2. :laughing:

Yeah, I thought for sure it was going to be someone else.

I have to ask though, how does someone win over another person when they are told not to cook part of the dish next time, when the runner-up's dish had no criticisms? Did I miss something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter