To stroll or not 'to stroll' a 4 1/2 yr.old

sullins5

alias the 'disneychick'
:confused: Know this one has probably been asked, but I haven't seen it...
We have a toddler and she usually walks in the mall and just about everywhere else now. But should we take an umbrella stroller (that reclines so she can nap) or should we rent a stroller every day for her? Or just let her walk? What has worked best for you with an 'older toddler'? ( She weighs 33lbs, so she is still little).

Any input would be helpful!::MinnieMo Thanks!

Try the parenting board on here there is plenty about 7 year olds in strollers etc. seems the general reccomendation is when in doubt use a stroller. It seems there is also differing opinion on which type to use, Umbroller ones easier to take on some rides, like the train, most times they must be parked outside attractions though. some like the rentals but say they are not as comfortable so bring a blanket or something.

My own children are older now, but I am a preschool teacher and I have the honor ;) of spending a lot of time with children your daughters age.

WDW is ALOT of walking... more so than the mall. I would suggest you take one..something light like the umbrella stroller. That way she may not get quite as tired as quickly...and if she is tired she has something to rest in.

One more thing... depending on when you are planning on going.. it could be extremely crowded. Having your precious little one in the stroller could be a lot safer and easier to keep her from getting lost in the crowd.

Have a wonderful time. :)

No question. Take her stroller. Don't give it another thought. Just take it.

Find some way to identify it as yours. A bandana. Something tied on the handle. There will be lots just like yours.

Have a wonderful trip!!!:p :wave2: princess:

Definitely take the stroller!!! We brought ours for our DS2 and figured our DD5 could walk (she hadn't ridden in a stroller since about 2 1/2). Boy were we wrong! After the first hour at Epcot she was whining that her feet hurt. We tried having them take turns riding, but DS walked so slow we ended up carrying him most of the time. Not easy on the back! The next day at MK we rented a double stroller which we found very cumbersome, so from then on we just took ours and rented a single as well, but I was wishing the whole time that we had brought both our umbrella strollers along!

I agree with the other posters - either bring one or rent one. We took our DS when he was close to 5, and it made the day go by much smoother. He lasted a lot longer than he would have if we had made him walk everywhere.

My 4yo son sat in his stroller a lot when we were at WDW in February. At the same age, though, his older brother hardly used his stroller at all. Even if a child walks a lot it's still nice to have a place to pile your stuff. And the last thing you want to be doing is carrying her back to the room in the evening when you are all tired.

T&B

We definately used a stroller till ds was in kindergarten, then used it occ. for a long day! Once he turned 6, we did'nt need it again!:bounce:

We really like the WDW strollers and always rent them when we go. We have taken DD at the ages of 2,3,4 & this year she will be 6 and we have always rented a stroller and this year we are going with DD#2 for the first time and we will rent the double stroller so DD#1 can still go in it.

I always like have my DD in the stroller because then the day is not as long for her because she can relax a bit and because I am absolutly horrified of her getting lost amoungst all the people.

I am a big believer in the stroller and I would absolutly take yours or rent. :wave: :wave2: :wave:

Or you will most likely have to rent one!! We rented a double on our last trip and my DD's seven and eight rode in it!! Sometimes one at a time sometimes both!! It's a lot of walking and it's easier to keep track of them when they are "strolling"!!! :wave2:

When we went last summer, DS was almost 7 yo. We brought the umbrella stroller "just in case" and I am so thankful that we did!

I would recommend your own umbrella stroller. If you rent a stroller, you have to surrender it at the gate, which means your child will still have to walk or be carried to the transport you use. W/the umbrella stroller folding up so nicely, it was very easy to transport on and off the bus/monorail/etc.! Added bonus ... by the time we got to our hotel, DS usually fell sound asleep on the bus. When we got off the bus, we just popped DS into the stroller and wheeled him right to our room. Easier than lugging the dead weight of a sleeping child and you definitely can't go from park to hotel room w/a rental stroller. Just something to think about!

What we would do w/our stroller was keep it folded up and we would find an "out of the way" place for it. For example, at Disney Studios, we'd leave it at the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular stroller corral (we asked a CM if it was ok first, and they always said yes). B/c it was folded, it was thin and out of the way, for the most part. Once DS got tired, DH or I would go to retrieve the stroller while the other rested w/DS. That way, we didn't have to lug the stroller all over the place yet it was easy to access. It was nice to have it at the end of the day when DS was too pooped to walk to the bus.

HTH!

::MinnieMo Thanks for all the help! It's been quite a while, and you tend to forget all the 'little things'. Dh said at first he didn't think we would need one - now to decide whether to rent or just go ahead and buy a new umbrella stroller (with canopy). Dd had outgrown her old one (or rather worn it out) so it's really not good anymore.

Liked the idea of having the stroller for the bus trip home, then to the room, just don't know of having to 'handle' getting on and off the bus when it gets crowded and people are wanting on quickly.Thanks for all the help - everyone here is great!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

As far as renting vs. buying a stroller....I'm going to buy a new one with a canopy and a basket. I don't know how much it is to rent one, but I found a nice light-weight umbrella stroller at wal-mart for $20. I think it might be more cost effective to just buy one. It just seems easier to take one because then you can also push them to the car late at night when everyone's tired and nobody wants to carry baby! :)

We also have a 4 1/2 year old and will be taking our stroller. We ended up having to rent one for our 5 year old when we went 4 years ago and then again 2 years ago when he was 7. It's just a LOT of walking and the last time we went (when our son was 7) he couldn't walk the second morning from so much walking the day before.

Anyhow, hope this helps!:tongue:

Definately do the stoller!

I take my DD's to the park solo so if they are in the stoller I know exactly where they are.

Don't even think twice! Get the stroller!:wave:

if you don't use a stroller. It is not that big of a deal and after a day of touring the parks....you (and your little one) will greatly appreciate it later in the day!

Absolutely take a stroller. She can go in it when she gets tired and it can hold your stuff when she's not. :)

When our DS was almost 6 he went without a stroller and did pretty well - he was so excited to be there that the walking was fun for him. Towards the end of our visit he would take little 5 or 10 minute breaks sitting on his grandma's lap in her wheelchair and that was enough to refresh him.

My daughter is turning four on our trip in May-- she weighs 32 pounds and you will be SO GLAD that you have a stroller--- PERIOD! Walking in the mall doesn't even compare to this type of moving around-- I take my own because the ones in the park are basically hard plastic--- I take mine becuase it is more comfortable, and easy to travel with--- you'll be happy you took it!

Have a fabulous trip!:wave2:

Stroller is a MUST for most toddlers. I have a DD who will be 4 and DD's who are 9. Last time we went to Disney, the 9 yr olds wanted to ride in the stroller. Well, we had a single and this year, we will be getting a new double!

The 4 yr old and one of the 9yr olds will ride and the other 9 yr old will walk. (one of the older twins has stamina issues). Plus you can't beat all the storage in a stroller, better than lugging all the "stuff" around! ( and mom is usually the one who ends up carrying it!)

Stroller was great to have. We would just fold it up and get on the bus back to the hotel. Most fold flat or close to it,

Like other posters have said, it has many uses!!

Last year, my DMIL used a wheelchair and that was nice b/c DS3 rode on her lap and DD7 rode in the stroller. I know she is getting older, but to keep her from whining about how tired her legs are, I will do just about anything!!!:sunny:

We bought a new stroller for our trip when our daughter was 3 1/2 and we were so glad we did. I didn't want to take our old bulky stroller because we didn't want to deal with it on the bus and our umbrella just wasn't up for it. We also didn't want to have to carry her on the long walk from the bus to the room at the end of the day. It was so nice having our own stroller and it was great being able to fold it up compactly on the bus. Here is a link to what we bought. I'm sure you could find something like this at a consignment shop too. I figured we will sell ours eventually and get some of the money back. We've had it for 2 years now and just used it last week- DD is 5 now. She didn't sit in it all day, but we sure did need it for when she did want to sit. I'm sure I'll keep it at least another year for our WDW trips.

http://www.combistrollers.com/products/travelsavvy.htm
It folds up so small and has a strap so you can carry the 7lbs on your shoulder. It has a small basket underneath and also lays down for those quick little naps. Only thing it doesn't have is a cup holder which would have been nice. I believe shipping is free. I picked the brightest pattern so I could spot it easily in the sea of strollers at the parks.

Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter