To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Just a reminder of what a matter of 24 hours means. Going from great conditions yesterday allowing me to have a great performance that gives me confidence towards Disney, to a day where if the race had been held would have left me wondering where I'm actually at physically. The storm they had been projecting for Saturday night/Sunday morning did eventually clip us Sunday night/Monday morning to the tune of several inches of snow and a treacherous morning commute.

Wow, congratulations on that race! Sounds like you executed your plan really well and it paid off :) And that time certainly helped me make up for my bad guesses the last couple races.

Wow, congratulations on that race! Sounds like you executed your plan really well and it paid off :) And that time certainly helped me make up for my bad guesses the last couple races.

Thanks! I'm feeling confident that I'm starting to hone in on a good predictive system and good in the moment pacing system. It's all been good practice leading into the race day.

Just a reminder of what a matter of 24 hours means. Going from great conditions yesterday allowing me to have a great performance that gives me confidence towards Disney, to a day where if the race had been held would have left me wondering where I'm actually at physically.
Mine was a bit different than yours, but I remember running a Disneyland race if beautiful weather one year and discovering one week later that it was raining cats and dogs in southern California during a marathon down there. Felt like I had hit the race weather jackpot.

Congrats on the PR Billy! :banana::banana::banana:

Thanks!

I'm super jealous you get to run peak week at Disney. I am not happy with this cold, snowy November - it's too early! It's going to be a very long winter. :crazy2:

Yea, pros and cons. Steph said yesterday we're just taking the simulation to the extreme for race weekend. We're flying out on Saturday and arriving at MCO at 10:45pm. Then, I've got to wake up a few hours later and start the 3hr run as to minimally effect the Disney plans. So working with sleep deprivation, FL temps with heat acclimation, and Disney theme park going right after I cross the finish line. LOL! :faint:

Phenomenal job! Congratulations on the new PR, you definitely earned it!

Thanks!

Congrats on a great race and new PR! Also not sure how i guessed so accurately, but I will take it.

Thanks! Just gotta do it one more time and the win is yours... No pressure...

Well done!!

Thanks!

Billy, I got a 10K training question for you - specifically related to Galloway training. My girlfriend is training for her 10k at Star Wars weekend and was reviewing the 10k training from Galloway. The training plan primarily shows 3 days of running: Tuesday, Thursday and Long run on Saturday. He also mentions maintenance workouts on Monday and Wednesday, but doesn't show them in the calendar, so that is a bit confusing. By looking at the calendar itself it seems like you only run 3 days a week, but with the maintenance runs that would come out to 5 days.

That aside, if she is targeting running at 10K at 12:00 min/mile, what do you think her Tuesday/Thursday pace should be - it isn't clear from the Galloway training plan what to actually run those days - he usually simply says run for 30 minutes. The Saturday long run is more specific - saying that for a 12:00min/mile pace she should be doing that at 15:00 min/mile pace, but we are confused as to what to do on those Tuesday/Thursday days - are those equivalent to marathon training where you do intervals or tempo runs?

Also, what about the maintenance runs on Monday/Wednesday, what should those be run at - even slower than 15 min/mile pace???

Alternatively, what do you think should be her paces and mileage for the week - what would you recommend. She has done 5ks at around 40 minutes before, but is hoping to be faster when she does her first 10k in April - ie. goal of reaching 12 min/miles.

Thanks

Billy, I got a 10K training question for you - specifically related to Galloway training. My girlfriend is training for her 10k at Star Wars weekend and was reviewing the 10k training from Galloway. The training plan primarily shows 3 days of running: Tuesday, Thursday and Long run on Saturday. He also mentions maintenance workouts on Monday and Wednesday, but doesn't show them in the calendar, so that is a bit confusing. By looking at the calendar itself it seems like you only run 3 days a week, but with the maintenance runs that would come out to 5 days.

So I'm assuming it's this one you're looking at:

https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...ning-programs/runDisney-10K-Training-Plan.pdf
So that plan is a 3-day per week plan. It's either Tues/Thurs/Sun or Mon/Wed/Sat.

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 11.17.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 11.17.44 AM.png

The maintenance workouts are the weekday workouts. So they are not in addition to the Tues/Thurs durations listed on the plan, but instead "are" the maintenance runs themselves.

That aside, if she is targeting running at 10K at 12:00 min/mile, what do you think her Tuesday/Thursday pace should be - it isn't clear from the Galloway training plan what to actually run those days - he usually simply says run for 30 minutes. The Saturday long run is more specific - saying that for a 12:00min/mile pace she should be doing that at 15:00 min/mile pace, but we are confused as to what to do on those Tuesday/Thursday days - are those equivalent to marathon training where you do intervals or tempo runs?

Also, what about the maintenance runs on Monday/Wednesday, what should those be run at - even slower than 15 min/mile pace???

Alternatively, what do you think should be her paces and mileage for the week - what would you recommend. She has done 5ks at around 40 minutes before, but is hoping to be faster when she does her first 10k in April - ie. goal of reaching 12 min/miles.

So for pacing, I always like to schedule paces based on what you've done and where you're at rather than where you want to be. So I'd schedule the paces based on the 5k of 40 minutes as long as she feels that's a good representation of current fitness. So that would mean something like the following:

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 11.21.38 AM.png

Now one thing Galloway does is schedule Magic Miles along the way to measure progression in fitness. So if she completes one of the MM faster than a 11:46 mile (current estimated mile time based on 40 min 5k), then that's when you move the paces to faster. In order to reach a 12 min/mile 10k pace, we would want to see her run a single MM in about 10:22. There's also 800m trial runs as well, but those get even harder to convert to endurance pacing equivalents.

So then the question becomes, what to do on the maintenance runs (Tues/Thurs) of 30 mins? That's going to be dictated by how the long runs go on the weekends. With the goal pace of a 16:38 min/mile as above, we'd want to see consistent pacing throughout the long run (no fade). That opens the weekdays for doing something a bit harder if desired. But if a fade exists on the weekend, then it shows you're pushing the limits as is and should keep the weekdays at a 16:38 min/mile as well. Usually that raises concern that the runner won't progress over the course of the training plan by training exclusively at a 16:38 min/mile when the ultimate goal is a 12 min/mile on race day. But it's important to realize that those runs while slower than goal pace are building long term foundations for endurance gains. And since the 10k is primarily 90% endurance, training slower does not prevent one from being able to race faster on race day.

Now let's say the weekend runs are going well and there's no fade. Then the question does become what kind of things can I do during the weekdays to further push the envelope. That's when you can consider adding in paced runs. Depending on what type of pace you choose to work on would dictate on how to design the training. Something slower like M Tempo would be something more sustainable over a longer duration during the 30 minutes. Like 10 min at easy, 10 min at M Tempo, 10 min at easy. Then progress to something like 5 min at easy, 25 min at M Tempo. Conversely maybe she has that strong desire to work on the 12 min/mile pace specifically. Based on the 5k of 40 min, a 12 min/mile would be estimated as her 2k-3k pace. So that's going to be something like Daniels I intervals (these are hard but is a very fruitful pace). Equal time run to equal time off with a cap of 5 minutes. So like 30 seconds run at 12 min/mile with 30 seconds walk, or 2 min run at 12 min/mile with 2 min walk. As time progresses and her MM improves, towards the end of the plan you could start doing 10k specific workouts at whatever her current fitness 10k pace is. Something like 400m of 10k pace, then some period of time off. It's always going to be dictated by where current fitness is.

Thoughts?

So I'm assuming it's this one you're looking at:

https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...ning-programs/runDisney-10K-Training-Plan.pdf
So that plan is a 3-day per week plan. It's either Tues/Thurs/Sun or Mon/Wed/Sat.

View attachment 453149

View attachment 453150

The maintenance workouts are the weekday workouts. So they are not in addition to the Tues/Thurs durations listed on the plan, but instead "are" the maintenance runs themselves.

So, I think you missed this too...in the plan it is actualy Tue/Thu/SATURDAY, not sunday....and so when he says "two maintenance workouts are done on ..... or Monday and Wednesday when the long one is on Saturday", made me think there was extra Mon/Wed runs....see the confusion here? Maybe they meant the parentheses to be after the "Wednesday)" then that would be clear....hence I was reading this as a 5 day training program.

plan.png

Now, I have to read the rest of what you wrote...so stand by. THanks so far

8 Weeks to Go! (Super 8) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 20/28 (End of Phase 2) + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 2/Week 2

11/11/19 - M - OFF
11/12/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Dicks+1 (90 min; 114 TSS)
11/13/19 - W - 6 x 3 min @ 3k pace (Run)
11/14/19 - R - Whiteside-2 (136 min; 140 TSS) + 30 min @ LT to HM Tempo (Run)
11/15/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Petitt (60 min; 39 TSS)
11/16/19 - Sa - Longfellow (240 min; 177 TSS) + 60 min Brick Run at Easy
11/17/19 - Su - Townsend (90 min; 59 TSS) + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 20.7 miles
Total Run Time - 2:52 hours
Total Run TSS - 176 TSS

Total Biking Time - 10:16 hours
Total Biking TSS - 529 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:46 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 60 TSS

Total Training Time - 15:54 hours
Total TSS - 765 TSS

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

AAA at 3x10 going through the whole set and then restarting from the start
Series 1 - Bilateral Press, Alt Unilateral Press, Lateral Raise, Y, Lat Side Bend, Standing Weight Knee Drive, Loop Standing Donkey, Forearm Plank Jumping Jacks
Series 2 - Chest Press, Fly, Kickback in Plank, Tricep Pushup, Corkscrew, Teaser, 1st Pos. Bridge, Single Leg Bridge w/ Loop
Series 3 - Pullovers, Renegade Row, Curls, Turned Out Curls, Loop Scissor Twist, V Leg Raise, Narrow Bridge Clam, Straight Leg Curls

Cycling: Dicks +1 is 5x8-minute intervals at 105% FTP with 6-minute recoveries between intervals. RPM at 92. It's always interesting to me when I do these suprathreshold workouts and can hold the pace for 8 min, but the over/under where you hit the same pace for less time with intermediate periods of slightly less work is harder. It's got to be the timing of the workouts (both time of day and the other workouts around it).

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - 🌨 Flurries, Wind 8mph to 15mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 23°F + 14°F; FL - 14°F
End: Temp+Dew = 23°F + 15°F; FL - 14°F

A snowy return to running. The conditions weren't great and there were definite "snow on ground" spots that slowed me down. But my body was also still somewhat sore/tired from the HM on Sunday. The plan didn't call for any post-race downtime so I jumped back into training, but I had considered maybe pulling back some. As the run progressed I got more comfortable with my footing.

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 1.53.34 PM.png

Overall a 6:13 GAP average.

Thursday

Another SUPER early morning. I was up at 2:55am and the workout started at 3:21am.

Cycling: Whiteside -2 is 5x20-minute Tempo repeats at 85% FTP each separated by 5 minutes of active recovery. RPM at 88. This was the workout I added in. It was either going to be a maximal over/under (previous phase) or a lower level tempo (next phase) workout. Decided I'd had enough of the over/unders and went with a tempo workout. It was certainly an early morning, but I was able to get through the workout.

Definitely feeling the fatigue throughout the day. Not quite post-Dopey HM level of fatigue. But definitely tired.

Evening Run:
Conditions - 🌙 Clear, Wind 5mph to 18mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 26°F + 18°F; FL - 20°F
End: Temp+Dew = 24°F + 17°F; FL - 20°F

Got to shake that tired feeling for another intense training run. 30 minutes sustained of LT to HM Tempo. The goal pace was 6:32-6:45 and HR of 151-157.

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 2.01.33 PM.png

This was certainly a tough one. There were so many times my mind was like, "just a tiny break". But I persevered and completed it in full. It was confidence building to see the splits continue to come back near goal pace even though I was so tired. The overall GAP average was a 6:48 min/mile with HR in the low 150s.

When I got home my right achilles and ankle were very tight. It was a bit sore and hard to flex the foot. I had zero issues during the run itself.

Friday

The right ankle/achilles was still very sore and stiff when I woke up.

TBC at 3x10 going through the whole set and then restarting from the start
Series 1 (Shoulder) - Squat/Row/Twist/Row, Kneeling Lunge Clean & Press, Quad Ped Opposite Arm Knee Crunch
Series 2 (Chest) - Chest Press to Half Turkish Get-up, Spider Man Push-ups, Frog Sliders
Series 3 (Back) - "T" to Single-Leg Hip Hinge, Lat Pull Over w/ Leg Raise, Weighted Plank Hip Drop
Series 4 (Biceps) - Low Twisting Lunge Hammer Curl, Press Out to Curl, Weighted Standing Torso Rotation
Series 5 (Triceps) - Crab Position Tricep Dip to Sit Through, Alternating Skull Crusher with Bicycle Legs, French Twist

The ankle didn't stop me from being able to do the 80DO workout in full. But it was a bit tough to move around so I wore my Zensah calf sleeves to see if that would help the recovery.

Thankful for an evening bike ride and not a run since I'm not sure it would have happened.

Cycling: Pettit is an hour of aerobic Endurance work spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM at 91.

I iced the ankle after the bike ride.

Saturday

Slept a glorious 9.25 hours. Woke up and the ankle was feeling much better. It cracked on its own as I was preparing for my bike ride and made it feel near 100%. Although I'm still not intentionally cracking my ankles because that likely contributed to the ankle tendonitis in 2018.

Cycling: Longfellow is 4 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM of 87. Another long ride but this was the longest to date with a brick run coming afterwards. I had a PB spoon prior to start, 800 calories of Tailwind, a PB sandwich, and nature valley PB bar.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 10mph to 16mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 38°F + 29°F; FL - 31°F
End: Temp+Dew = 39°F + 29°F; FL - 31°F

Took it nice and easy. Decided to pull my New Balance 1400v5 out of retirement and run in those instead of the Kinvaras which I've been exclusively in for the last few weeks. The ankle was tight, but the effect was low on the run itself. Ended up being 7 miles in 60 min at 8:35 pace with HR of 131. This was the biggest single training TSS (230) outside of marathons. I've had higher TSS in a single day, but that was with a morning/evening workout.

The ankle still felt stiff and was worse after the run than before it earlier in the morning. So I iced it off and on throughout the day. I also decided that no matter how good the ankle felt on Sunday I would do a 90 min bike ride instead of the 70 min run that was scheduled. That way I could take one running day off (Sunday) and get until Wednesday night before the next schedule running day.

Sunday

The ankle was feeling nearly 100%, but I decided to keep the promise to myself and bike instead of run today.

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM of 86.

80DO Cardio Flow to end the week!

Next week is the start of Phase 3. This is where things start to get really tough and aggressive from a volume standpoint. A Ramp Test, 5 x 4 min I pace, 3hr brick activity, 5hr bike ride and 170 min run. At 18 total hours this will be the largest training total to date.

Recap of Phase 2 (Building) of TrainerRoad High Volume Ironman training plan (8 total weeks)

(Completed/Scheduled)

# of runs: 32 / 32
Total Run Duration: 32:51 hours / 33:30 hours
Run Distance: 246.3 miles

# of cycles: 33 / 32
Total Cycling Duration: 55:42 hours / 54:10 hours
Cycling Distance: 1426.4 miles

# of 80DO: 22 / 23
Total 80DO Duration: 18:30 hours / 18:33 hours

# of workouts: 87 / 87
Total Training Duration: 107:04 hours / 106:13 hours
Total Distance: 1120 miles

That's the end of Phase 2! I missed the one run (today) and replaced it with a cycling ride. I also skipped one 80DO Cardio Flow after the Haunted Hustle HM. But since I did an extra 20 min of running compared to the original plan I called it a wash. The runs look completed but that's because of the warmup prior to the Madison HM. Just one more Phase to go!

So, I think you missed this too...in the plan it is actualy Tue/Thu/SATURDAY, not sunday....and so when he says "two maintenance workouts are done on ..... or Monday and Wednesday when the long one is on Saturday", made me think there was extra Mon/Wed runs....see the confusion here? Maybe they meant the parentheses to be after the "Wednesday)" then that would be clear....hence I was reading this as a 5 day training program.

View attachment 453164

Now, I have to read the rest of what you wrote...so stand by. THanks so far

I can see where the confusion comes in then. It's definitely a 3 day plan. I'd trust the text over the header there, but honestly she can shift those three days around a bit and still get the same benefits.

hijacking your training thread to share my terrible training run this morning. Would have PM’d you but thought others might like to know. I guess it always feels like everyone is doing awesome and you all are. Some probably think I am always awesome at hitting those workouts but not today. First the weather it was not too bad but we had a lot of wind gusts. Temps in the mid 40s with sun but wind was from the north. Made it a challenge to dress correctly. I was it too far off but when that wind blew I was cold.

my workout was 1 mile wu, 2 x 2 miles at 8:03 with 3 minute recovery, then 4 x 3 minutes at 7:21 with 2 minute recovery, then 4 x 200 meters at 6:57 with 200 meter recovery and 1 mile cd. I hit the first set. I worked hard for it but survived the first set. It was the set of 4 that was bad. I actually gave up the first set and hit 9:12 for pace, I just could not turn my legs over. Then managed 8:16, 8:02, and 8:22. I was not close but I was not going to quit. Onto the 200s, 7:21, 7:34, 7:24 and 8:13. I guess those were closer to the pace. I managed to turn my ankle on the second 200 recovery, but kept myself upright (probably the major win for the day). ankle is ok now, but it was just a tough run and I did not hit my paces, though I felt like I was working as hard as I could.

I guess just a bad workout, but now it’s depressing me.

my workout was 1 mile wu, 2 x 2 miles at 8:03 with 3 minute recovery, then 4 x 3 minutes at 7:21 with 2 minute recovery, then 4 x 200 meters at 6:57 with 200 meter recovery and 1 mile cd. I hit the first set. I worked hard for it but survived the first set. It was the set of 4 that was bad. I actually gave up the first set and hit 9:12 for pace, I just could not turn my legs over. Then managed 8:16, 8:02, and 8:22. I was not close but I was not going to quit. Onto the 200s, 7:21, 7:34, 7:24 and 8:13. I guess those were closer to the pace. I managed to turn my ankle on the second 200 recovery, but kept myself upright (probably the major win for the day). ankle is ok now, but it was just a tough run and I did not hit my paces, though I felt like I was working as hard as I could.

Let's dive in!

The T pace goal for the 2 miles was 8:03 or 16:06 total time.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 7.05.04 PM.png

Split #1 was 4:05 + 3:52 + 4:09 + 3:52 = 15:59 or 7:59 min/mile. So you'd look at that and say it was reasonable because it was within 4 seconds of goal average pace. But there's a BIG difference between 8:03 consistent pace and 8:10 + 7:44 + 8:18 + 7:44. That 7:44 pace pushes beyond LT to something more like 8k pace (or something you can hold for 35ish minutes not 60 min. This workout which was LT became a pseudo over/under instead which in biking is an absolutely devastatingly difficult workout. Add in the duration of 2 x 16 min and that's crazy hard.

Split #2 wasn't as aggressive, but was similar.

So I wouldn't even need to go to the I or R pace to know why the remainder of the workout was a struggle. Those LT paces were FAR too hard to be sustainable. The T+I+R workout is already hard, but a O/U+I+R is beyond difficult and in to insane territory.

Thoughts?

7 Weeks to Go! (Se7en) + TrainerRoad High Volume Full Triathlon Plan Week 21/28 + 80 Day Obsession - Phase 2/Week 3

11/18/19 - M - OFF
11/19/19 - T - 80DO-AAA + Ramp Test + Pettit (85 min; 73 TSS)
11/20/19 - W - 5 x 4 min @ 3k pace (Run)
11/21/19 - R - Polar Bear (120 min; 130 TSS) + 60 min Brick Run at Easy (Run)
11/22/19 - F - 80DO-Total Body Core + Townsend (90 min; 59 TSS)
11/23/19 - Sa - Mianzimu (199 min; 150 TSS) + 100 min Brick Run at Easy (Run)
11/24/19 - Su - 170 min @ LR (Run) + 80DO-Cardio Flow

Total Run Miles - 47.5 miles
Total Run Time - 6:25 hours
Total Run TSS - 462 TSS

Total Biking Time - 8:14 hours
Total Biking TSS - 412 TSS

Total 80DO Time - 2:45 hours
Total 80DO TSS - 50 TSS

Total Training Time - 17:26 hours
Total TSS - 840 TSS

Monday

Off day.

Tuesday

AAA at 3x10 going through each series and then moving on to the next series
Series 1 - Bilateral Press, Alt Unilateral Press, Lateral Raise, Y, Lat Side Bend, Standing Weight Knee Drive, Loop Standing Donkey, Forearm Plank Jumping Jacks
Series 2 - Chest Press, Fly, Kickback in Plank, Tricep Pushup, Corkscrew, Teaser, 1st Pos. Bridge, Single Leg Bridge w/ Loop
Series 3 - Pullovers, Renegade Row, Curls, Turned Out Curls, Loop Scissor Twist, V Leg Raise, Narrow Bridge Clam, Straight Leg Curls

Cycling: The Ramp Test is an assessment workout that uses gradual increases in Target Power to push you as hard as possible over the course of a fairly short but demanding, continuous effort.

New FTP of 262!

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 7.58.01 PM.png

Then added on Pettit to get some extra work. Pettit is an hour of aerobic Endurance work spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM at 89. Watched the latest episode of Mr Robot and it was very emotional. Had a hard time composing myself during the ride.

Wednesday

Evening Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Partly Cloudy, Wind 7mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 41°F + 38°F; FL - 37°F
End: Temp+Dew = 41°F + 38°F; FL - 37°F

5 x 4 min at 3k pace

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 8.10.45 PM.png

The intervals were mostly good. 6:05, 6:07, 6:00, 6:20 (?), and 6:01. A GAP average of 6:03 when not including the 6:20. I'm not really sure I believe the 6:20 split because everything felt like the other 4 intervals. Happy to hit 4 min of I pace. The ankle also felt good and it seemed the issues from last week were short-lived.

Thursday

Day off from work.

Cycling: Polar Bear is 120 minutes of continuous riding where you'll spend 105 minutes between 80-85% FTP. RPM at 86. This one was rough.

Brick Run:
Conditions - ☁️ Overcast, Wind 14mph to 22mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 50°F + 49°F; FL - 47°F
End: Temp+Dew = 51°F + 51°F; FL - 47°F

Nice and easy. 7.3 miles in 60 min (8:13 min/mile) with HR of 137. Little surprised at the HR and my Garmin VO2max dropped down to 57. I was pretty hungry, so I'd venture to guess my body was just dragging. So I tried to increase my calories for the remainder of the week (not counting these days but rather just decided to stuff my face like crazy).

Friday

TBC at 3x10 going through each series and then moving on to the next series
Series 1 (Shoulder) - Squat/Row/Twist/Row, Kneeling Lunge Clean & Press, Quad Ped Opposite Arm Knee Crunch
Series 2 (Chest) - Chest Press to Half Turkish Get-up, Spider Man Push-ups, Frog Sliders
Series 3 (Back) - "T" to Single-Leg Hip Hinge, Lat Pull Over w/ Leg Raise, Weighted Plank Hip Drop
Series 4 (Biceps) - Low Twisting Lunge Hammer Curl, Press Out to Curl, Weighted Standing Torso Rotation
Series 5 (Triceps) - Crab Position Tricep Dip to Sit Through, Alternating Skull Crusher with Bicycle Legs, French Twist

Cycling: Townsend consists of 90 minutes of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 60-70% FTP. RPM at 87. Finished off the last episode of Man in the High Castle and it was another emotional one. I actually was having trouble breathing towards the end of the episode.

Saturday

Was excited about this cycling ride since it would be my longest to date at 300 minutes.

Cycling: Mianzimu is 5 hours of aerobic Endurance riding spent between 65-75% FTP. RPM of 85. This ride just wasn't meant to be. Everything was going fine and I was seconds away from my short stretch break, except something else broke... My bike chain snapped. It broke right where I had put the two ends together which had a slight bend to it because I didn't do a great job putting them together a few months ago. So I guess the integrity of the chain finally broke. No worries, I can fix that. As I was in the process of fixing the chain, my chain connecting tool snapped! Like REALLY! Both the chain and the chain tool. Ugh... So then it was a matter of what to do. I was 1:40 hrs short on the ride (finished 3:20) and was planning on doing a 45 min run when Steph got home from work. But Steph's mom had taken G to Target because they were doing a Frozen 2 thing. So I decided just to keep running until they got home. So not quite a Brick run since some time elapsed after the cycling stopped. But better than nothing.

Brick Run:
When life hands you a broken chain, go run.

Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 7mph to 7mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 31°F + 23°F; FL - 25°F
End: Temp+Dew = 37°F + 24°F; FL - 25°F

Got out there as soon as I could. Didn't have anything prepared for this so it took some time. I was going to do 30 min, then it became 60 min, then I was like fine let's do 90 min, well why not 100 minutes. The whole time I was trying to do calculations in my head to figure how much I had lost from the missing 1:40hrs of biking and what amount of running would be necessary to replace the lost TSS. I decided 100 min in the end would be close. In total, 12.25 miles in 100 min at 8:10 min/mile pace with HR of 132 (VO2max went back up to 58). The day's TSS was suppose to be 251 (split between the bike and run in evening). I ended up with 243 in a "continuous" workout which is only surpassed by two marathons. So a big time workout. But would it cost me on my 170 min long run the next day???

Sunday

Morning Run:
Conditions - ☀️ Clear, Wind 5mph to 5mph
Start: Temp+Dew = 34°F + 30°F; FL - 29°F
End: Temp+Dew = 42°F + 36°F; FL - 29°F

I decided to be conservative on the run. Not quite long run effort but not quite easy pace. I was only suppose to do 5ish miles on Saturday but I did 12.25 miles.

Screen Shot 2019-11-24 at 8.24.02 PM.png

The GAP was kind of all over the place in this one. Overall though I'm not going to complain. It ended up being 21.4 miles (longest training run ever in distance) in 170 min at 7:52 min/mile GAP with HR of 136. All in all a good effort.

80DO Cardio Flow to end the week! That gave me 8:36 hours of exercise in the last two days!

My Fitness TSS is now the highest ever at 100.2. Now is the time when I start to get back into "optimal" training with some devastating weeks coming up.

Next week the foot stays on the pedal. A 6 x 4 min 3k, a 135 min cycle on Thurs morning followed by a staggering 40 consecutive min at LT to HM Tempo in the evening, then a 4.5hr bike followed by a 60 min brick run on Saturday. In for another doozy! Now's "winning time" in the training plan.

*PS I did go out and bike up a new bike chain on Sunday morning and already installed it (properly this time).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!