To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

Stay tuned for my upcoming race "costume" as I'm going with a pink vs blue Sleeping Beauty castle type theme. But I'm not very crafty and I'm attempting to be crafty so it may end up an epic fail. But stay tuned.
I doubt it will fail as badly as my Prince Phillip running costume from the 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 did. While in line for Darth Vader, the CM addressed me as Superman. And it was an even worse Superman costume.

View attachment 221576

Key dates:

11/26/17 (first dot) - 4th week of Hansons training for Dopey
12/20/17 - Heat Acclimation Training begins
12/22/17 - Notice mild cold
1/4/17 - Dopey Challenge begins
1/9/17 - Sinus infection begins
1/14/17 - Feeling better
1/21/17 - Resume running
1/22/17 - Sinus infection begins again (put on antibiotics)
2/5/17 - 1st run of substance
2/17/17 - Night after 2nd M Tempo (7 miles that gave a HR of 157, above historical of 152)
It looks like you're already turning the corner!
Here's a nice example of a wrist-based HR monitor glitch:

View attachment 221549

I overlayed the HR and cadence on top of each other. Clearly the HR monitor was picking up on the cadence as they are producing nearly identical values during an "easy" run.
Is this what Travis was talking about on Strava the other day? I get a totally different problem with the chest strap... but I think I finally fixed it.

It looks like you're already turning the corner!

Is this what Travis was talking about on Strava the other day? I get a totally different problem with the chest strap... but I think I finally fixed it.

Agreed, I will be interested to see what tomorrow's tempo looks like as well as the proceeding resting HR data.

Yep similar to what Travis had. The HR monitor starts picking up on cadence instead of actual HR. This is a pretty easily defineable example as the cadence and HR are equal, yet I know without a shadow of doubt my HR was not 172. Although Travis's issue is still unresolved with the easy fixes.

110 Days to Go (Back to normal in time for something new)

normal.gif

raw.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

2/21/17 - T - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
2/22/17 - W - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + 6 strides
2/23/17 - R - 2 miles @ 9:01 min/mile + 8 miles @ 7:25 min/mile (8/8!)
2/24/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
2/25/17 - Sat - 5 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile + MBW
2/26/17 - Sun - 11 miles @ 8:04 min/mile (10/11)
2/27/17 - M - OFF

Total (training) mileage = 47 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 18/19 (95%)

It's the last week of endurance base building in preparation for the Jack Daniels 10k training cycle.

Tuesday was an easy day. I could tell during the stretching that things were starting to return my normal. When I do my toy solider leg lifts and it feels smooth I know things are starting to feel normal. The paces were solid and the effort was good. I decided to throw in 6 strides at the end of the workout to prepare myself for the speed sessions that begin in one week. Strong, quick, but light movements in short bursts. I'm hopeful this will help set me up for the next training cycle.

Wednesday was another easy day. The paces were solid again and I threw in the 6 strides again.

Thursday was the final M Tempo run in prep for Daniels. Unfortunately the weather decided it wasn't going to make the day easy. It was a 16mph wind, 28F WC and a good steady rain. I decided to break out my newer Zealot Isos. It started off with 2 miles of WU, and then the M tempos just started clicking off (7:41, 7:35, 7:29). An then somewhere around mile 5.25, I took a misstep. I've turned that corner literally a couple hundred times, but this time something felt off and there was a twinge in my right lower back. It wasn't enough to make me stop, but it didn't feel good. I decided to press on because it wasn't enough to force me to stop. Then a 7:35, and then another set back as I was headed up hill on mile 6.75. I was pushing, but probably a bit too hard. Re-enter the tightness in my right calf. Again not enough to stop, but it was making itself known something was up again. A 7:29, 7:22, 7:28, and 7:24 to close out the 8 mile M Tempo. Even with the two pains (back and right calf), I was still able to hit 8/8 paces (another spectacular 100% hit). Another big bonus, my HR was 152 during the M tempo which is dead on historical data. Very happy with the progress but am hoping these pains are not setbacks in the big picture.

Friday was another easy day. Although, the weather decided to make it another non-easy day. We had rain all day, and then as the day progressed the temperature dropped. Steph worked late so I didn't get my run started until 8pm. I decided to eat some dinner prior to running (PB sandwich and banana). Then G and I went to the grocery store. Honestly, she is such a hoot. However, when it was time to start it was a ice skating rink out on the roads. As the run progressed it became harder and harder to gain traction. Thankfully neither my back or calf hurt that much, but I tried really hard to just survive the easy run. But because of the conditions my desire to be out there got less and less. No one is making me do this. No one will fault me for bagging it early in these conditions. But yet something inside made me keep going. I felt it was necessary to complete the run when there wasn't any reason I had to stop. Another unfortunate circumstance was both my tracer 360 and guide light both ran out of batteries on this run. So the last little bit of the run was done in cold, rain, ice and without significant light. I made it home at around 9pm and was in bed by 9:30ish.

Steph had to work Saturday morning so it meant wake up and start the run right away. Between only 10 hrs between runs, now a light snow/ice mixture on the ground, little to no food between the runs... needless to say it was a tough run. The paces were behind the scheduled 9:01 min/mile to stay safe. This meant to finish the run in the necessary time to be home before Steph needed to leave I had to cut the mileage short. So after 5 miles (instead of the scheduled 7) I called it.

Sunday was the last long run before Daniels. It was a tough decision on clothing for this one. The temp was low 30s. The wind according to weather underground was 0-3 mph, but when I looked outside at the flag it looked much stronger (it was actually 20mph). My guess was it wasn't 0-3 which meant the WC would be in the 20s. I decided to not take the risk and go with pants (good decision!). The run started off awkward as my back twinged on the first step. It went away after 100m or so, but that was annoying. The run was mostly solid through the first 4 miles with everything according to scheduled pace. But for no reason, my right calf tightened up without pushing hard or anything. Because it didn't hurt enough to stop, I kept pressing on. It kept reminding me it was there, but I didn't push the pace. The run went well and ended with 10/11 paces within desired range. The HR was also a solid 143. Unfortunately as the day progressed the back was still sore and the calf is still a bit tight. I'm hopeful with another 36 hours before the next run things will improve again because the next run is the first speed session. As I said from the beginning though I won't compromise the ultimate goal of October 2017, so we'll see.

During Monday morning (at 3:30am), I rolled over in bed and it felt like my muscles were ripping in my back (like a fiery paper ripping feeling). I decided to ride it out and not doing anything in case it was all in my mind. Thankfully, when I woke up there didn't seem to be any problems. The back is still sore, but it doesn't feel as if anything actually ripped. Crisis everted.

The HR chart is coming back into form:

Screen Shot 2017-02-26 at 11.57.36 AM.png

In other news, the Hot2Trot 10k is a go so that finalizes my race schedule for 2017:

MAY
20 - DopeyBadger - Blaser Invitational 5k (19:09/ N/A)

JUNE
3 - DopeyBadger - Blaser Invitational 10k (39:59 / N/A)
17 - DopeyBadger - Hot2Trot 10k (Top 3 AG / N/A)

October
1 - DopeyBadger - Lakefront Marathon (2:59:59 / N/A)
15 - DopeyBadger - Milwaukee Running Festival 10k (roxymama goal crushing! / N/A)

I've already mapped out the 5k and 10k locally. I also have mapped out my 200m and 400m routes for the upcoming 10k cycle.

Thus brings the end to the endurance building cycle. Now it's time to put the pedal to the metal with this new to me 10k training.

nmkz0k4s577ad5376f738819144687.gif

Sorry to hear about your back acting up. That's 0.00% fun :(

Also glad to hear that no zombies or vampires got you during your evening run, but maybe that's because they couldn't see you without your tracer lit up. Congrats on getting to bed by 9:30pm...usually after my evening runs my brain wants to stay awake way longer than my body does so even when I can will myself into bed it's a struggle to "fall asleep" before 10.

"No one is making me do this. No one will fault me for bagging it early in these conditions. But yet something inside made me keep going. I felt it was necessary to complete the run when there wasn't any reason I had to stop."
Pretty much sums up non-professional running in one sentence right there.

So have you made any meal plans for the month of June...because it looks like you'll be eating 10ks for breakfast!
giphy.gif

Sorry to hear about your back acting up. That's 0.00% fun :(

Hopeful it's nothing but time will tell.

you during your evening run, but maybe that's because they couldn't see you without your tracer lit up. Congrats on getting to bed by 9:30pm...usually after my evening runs my brain wants to stay awake way longer than my body does so even when I can will myself into bed it's a struggle to "fall asleep" be

Lol thanks! I didn't see any but doesn't mean they weren't there. Guess I was tired and knew it was an early morning so I needed to get to bed quick.

"No one is making me do this. No one will fault me for bagging it early in these conditions. But yet something inside made me keep going. I felt it was necessary to complete the run when there wasn't any reason I had to stop."

::yes::

I don't have many of those days, but this yo-yoing tease of weather is getting to me. Just stick with the 40-50s already!

So have you made any meal plans for the month of June...because it looks like you'll be eating 10ks for breakfast!

lol nice use of a gif! I'll have to see if Steph can put some power pellets out there for me! Chomp chomp!

Wow, I'm very behind. Just got caught up after reading your Dopey TR part of this thread. Very nice TR!
Your times were great! So glad that your training paid off and that your leg issues from late last year were on their best behavior!

It was so nice to meet everyone at the Dismeet at Hannah's--I am so impressed that you even listed me as being there. I can be very crowd shy and don't remember introducing myself. Of course I recognized you, John, Keeli and @Ariel484.
G is simply adorable! But yeah, a 3 y/o can be a handful at WDW-you and Steph are to be commended for your efforts! It does get easier as they get older---but there will be other challenges that come along with those older ages, but they are worth it.

Anyway, so now that I am caught up I plan to stay that way.
Keep up your great training! I am slowly getting back after being out of commission for several months due to hip issues--ran 1.4 miles yesterday and felt pretty good, glad to be running again but decided to take it slow. Needless to say reading your journal is an inspiration--thanks!

Wow, I'm very behind. Just got caught up after reading your Dopey TR part of this thread. Very nice TR!

Sweet, thanks for reading!

Your times were great! So glad that your training paid off

Thanks! I was pretty happy with how everything went race wise. A few tactical errors here and there, but overall a very successful running weekend. Now I just need to carry over the lessons learned during the Dopey training cycle (as well as the October marathon cycle), to create a new training cycle in June.

and that your leg issues from late last year were on their best behavior!

AGREED! I think it's pretty definitive at this point that I pushed my bones too hard during the October marathon training cycle. Because I had almost no issues during training with it and haven't even had a blimp since.

It was so nice to meet everyone at the Dismeet at Hannah's

Agreed, it was nice to put faces to usernames. That was a really enjoyable experience and I wish I could have stayed longer. Next year, I'm blocking off more time for it.

I am so impressed that you even listed me as being there. I can be very crowd shy and don't remember introducing myself. Of course I recognized you, John, Keeli and @Ariel484.

I usually have a pretty good memory. If I remember correctly, we talked for about 5 minutes right before I left.

G is simply adorable! But yeah, a 3 y/o can be a handful at WDW-you and Steph are to be commended for your efforts! It does get easier as they get older---but there will be other challenges that come along with those older ages, but they are worth it.

Thanks and agreed! We're definitely already seeing changes in the last month since we've left. But we're trying to teach her to be more independent and have better coping skills. A new adventure!

Anyway, so now that I am caught up I plan to stay that way.

:cool1:

Keep up your great training!

Thanks! I'm excited to try something new starting tomorrow (eek!). I've spent the last few years on endurance, endurance, endurance, and now I feel like I'm finally at a point where I'm ready to add some serious speed on top of that. We'll see if that's a successful idea or a disaster!

I am slowly getting back after being out of commission for several months due to hip issues--ran 1.4 miles yesterday and felt pretty good, glad to be running again but decided to take it slow.

Ugh... hip issues (or any issues for that matter) can be a major bummer! Happy to hear you're able to get back out there and taking it slow is a wise choice.

Needless to say reading your journal is an inspiration--thanks!

:thanks: I truly appreciate that! It's been a fun journey to this point, and I feel like the really memorable parts are about to start happening. Not to say everything hasn't been memorable, but that this is the year that's been circled on the calendar for the last five years. I feel like I'm so very close!

Pre-Daniels 10k check-in!

I figured with a new to me training cycle it would be interesting to see the progress I make in the next 16 weeks.

Current weight - 162

5k PR - 21:02
10k PR - 43:25

HR Projected 5k - 19:53
HR Projected 10k - 41:42

Peak HR Projected 5k (calculated from 12/1 to 12/15 HR data) - 18:33
Peak HR Projected 10k (calculated from 12/1 to 12/15 HR data) - 39:01

Goal 5k - 19:09
Goal 10k - 39:59

I can't find the article again, but there was a comparison of 10k training plans and the improvement seen was about 2-3% after one cycle. If that's true then my predicted 5k and 10k times would be 20:37 and 42:33 based on my current PRs (or 18:40 and 40:52 based on my current HR projection).

Because GPS can be unreliable at short distances (200m and 400m), I used a satellite program to distance out 200m and 400m on my normal running route. I did this 10 times and got the same spots every time.

200 and 400m start (even with the light post)

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 5.00.50 PM.png

200m End (right at the manhole)

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 5.00.36 PM.png

400m End (at the end of the curve)

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 5.08.48 PM.png

My goal is to run the 200m and 400m +/1 second from the scheduled pace. That means 200m in 43-45 seconds (5:52 min/mile) and 400m in 87-89 seconds (5:52 min/mile).

Here's how I programed tomorrow's run (2 mi @ WU + (4x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + (6x400m @ R w/400m RI) + (4x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + 3 mi @ CD) into my Garmin.

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 4.01.43 PM.png

I choose to make 200m run as 2min and 200m recovery as 2:05 minutes. That way I can physically hit the "lap button" on the watch when I cross the man made objects instead of relying on the GPS accuracy. I also didn't set a pace window, because that's too much to worry about mid-speed for such a short distance (again GPS issues).

Here's Friday's run (2 mi @ WU + 4 x 200 @ R w/ 200 RI @ WU + 4 x 1 @ T w/ 1 min rest + 4 x 200 @ R w/ 200 RI @ WU + 2 mi @ CD):

Screen Shot 2017-02-27 at 4.04.24 PM.png

For the "threshold" pace I did set a pace window for the 6:56 min/mile as +/-5 seconds. Otherwise, the same "lap button" technique.

Tomorrow's the big day!

Daniels 10k training has begun!

giphy-3.gif

2 mi @ WU + (4x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + (6x400m @ R w/400m RI) + (4x200m @ R w/ 200m RI) + 3 mi @ CD

Time for a new training cycle! It was a near perfect evening for running. A 40F WC, with very little wind, a slight to dense fog over time.

Goal Pace for R is 5:52 min/mile (approximately mile pace, although my PR is 6:24). AHHH, a 5...

giphy-4.gif

For 200m that's 44 seconds and 400m is 88 seconds. My goal is to hit these +/- 1 second, so 43-45 seconds for 200m and 87-89 seconds for 400m. I am choosing to run these Quality Speed workouts on the road rather than the track since my racing will be on the road as well. To ensure accuracy, I have satellite mapped out 200m and 400m. I will use the lap button based on man-made markers to ensure distance accuracy so I don't rely on the inaccurate GPS signal of the watch.

giphy-2.gif

First 200m set -
45 :D,
45 :D,
43 :D,
43 :D

4/4

400m set -
86 :worried:,
87 :D,
89 :D,
90 :worried:,
89 :D,
89 :D

4/6

Second 200m set -
46 :worried:,
44 :D,
44 :D,
44 :D

3/4

I'm shocked I hit 11/14 paces overall since I've never attempted to run this fast ever before (either actual pace or relative fitness pace). Regardless, this was a very tough workout and I feel like I got nailed by a truck. Celebrate!

workaholics-moobs.gif

Very true! After such a great stretch of outside running, I'm trying to decide whether to run outside today. We have some relatively heavy snow, but I do like running in the snow and now I don't have to worry about falling before Dopey. :)

It does get easier as they get older---but there will be other challenges that come along with those older ages, but they are worth it.

Well said! :)

8-)

:rotfl2:

Very true! After such a great stretch of outside running, I'm trying to decide whether to run outside today. We have some relatively heavy snow, but I do like running in the snow and now I don't have to worry about falling before Dopey. :)

Doesn't look like the snow is sticking here, but we'll see. If it changes your mind at all, I'll be out there! Although, I don't really have much of an indoor option.

Doesn't look like the snow is sticking here, but we'll see. If it changes your mind at all, I'll be out there! Although, I don't really have much of an indoor option.

Thanks for the encouragement!! By the time I ran, our lake effect snow was sticking everywhere except the sidewalks - perfect! So glad I ran outside in the falling snow - wonderful!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter