To Infinity and Beyond - Becoming a Better DopeyBadger (Comments Welcome)

View attachment 240956

Congratulations traveler... You've purchased 4 new pairs of shoes that will allow you to traverse another 720-800 miles!

View attachment 240957

I know you track the mileage on shoes. I never have but I always thought that running shoes were good for at least 300 miles a pair. Based on the numbers you quoted, do you expect only roughly 200 miles per pair? I usually have four pairs in rotation because I run six days a week and I "rest" the shoes. Just trying to get a feel for when I should retire a pair. Usually it is when I see visible wear on the soles.

I know you track the mileage on shoes. I never have but I always thought that running shoes were good for at least 300 miles a pair. Based on the numbers you quoted, do you expect only roughly 200 miles per pair? I usually have four pairs in rotation because I run six days a week and I "rest" the shoes. Just trying to get a feel for when I should retire a pair. Usually it is when I see visible wear on the soles.

So I track the mileage somewhat blind. I write down each run for each shoe on a printed spreadsheet. Then every few months I'll add up the mileage, but I don't know for much of their life actually how much mileage they have. In the end, I determine the "end" of a shoe by feel. Depending on the shoe, I can get as little as 180 miles (Kinvara) and as much as 500 miles (Triumph ISO). Although it varies from person to person. I'm pretty sure @CheapRunnerMike gets way more out of Kinvaras when he used them (like 400+). But somewhere around 160-200 miles, they start to give me aches. I do have a pair of Kinvara 5s still going strong at 220 miles, but they're getting close to retirement. I know the life of the Rides quite well. They start to be extra squishy around 250 miles and is the sign that they're about to die (somewhere around 350 miles).

So I track the mileage somewhat blind. I write down each run for each shoe on a printed spreadsheet. Then every few months I'll add up the mileage, but I don't know for much of their life actually how much mileage they have. In the end, I determine the "end" of a shoe by feel. Depending on the shoe, I can get as little as 180 miles (Kinvara) and as much as 500 miles (Triumph ISO). Although it varies from person to person. I'm pretty sure @CheapRunnerMike gets way more out of Kinvaras when he used them (like 400+). But somewhere around 160-200 miles, they start to give me aches. I do have a pair of Kinvara 5s still going strong at 220 miles, but they're getting close to retirement. I know the life of the Rides quite well. They start to be extra squishy around 250 miles and is the sign that they're about to die (somewhere around 350 miles).

I use the asics gel kayanos almost exclusively. I just picked up three more pairs on sale and I think that your idea of recording the mileage is a really good practice. I also picked up a pair of hurricane isos. They seem very cushy.

Thank you for the detailed response. I sorta wouldn't know what shoes that need to be retired feel like. Lol. I just will notice things like wearing holes around the ankles or the treads getting worn.

12 Days to Go (The pendulum swings again)

old-grandfather-clock-animated-gif-7.gif

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

5/30/17 - T - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
5/31/17 - W - 2 mi WU + 5 x 1 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI + 4 x 200m @ R + 2 mi CD (5/9)
6/1/17 - R - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/2/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/3/17 - Sat - 4 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/4/17 - Sun - 14 miles @ 7:47 min/mile (12/13)
6/5/17 - M - OFF (Wedding Anniversary)

Total (training) mileage = 56.3 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 17/22 (77%)

Monday was covered in the last update as it was a holiday and I opted for no rest day. That meant I would break my longest running streak of 7 days with as many as 13 days if I made it to Sunday.

Tuesday was a T+D of 109 and clouds. With the switch to two hard workouts during this recovery phase (because of too much racing) it was an easy day.

Wednesday was a T+D of 113 with 12 mph wind and full sun.

T pace = 6:38 min/mile with T+D adjustment of 0.5% = 6:40 min/mile
T window = +/- 5 seconds (6:35-6:45)

R pace = 5:36 min/mile (200m = 41 sec)
R window = +/- 1 second

I normally need about 3 oz of water per mile. I took 36 oz of water with me hoping this would be enough. Originally this was going to be 6x1 mile, but after the 4th mile I realized I was definitely not going to have enough water to finish out the run. So I decided to skip the last mile interval.

T intervals - 6:39, 6:38, 6:45, 6:48, 7:00

The bag of water bottles and ice packs was really heavy. It really drove home the message that I can't use the bunny head route anymore during the summer. It's too far to carry the water and to exposed to the sun and wind. So, I'll go back to my old speed route.

For the most part, the run felt comfortable. I mean it wasn't easy by any means. But definitely better. But I'm sure I didn't bring, drink, pour enough water.

R intervals - 40, 44, 42, 41

I was happy with the R pace at the end. I really wanted to do a run with R pacing because I wanted to see if that raw speed and power was still there. Point taken on that first R interval with the speed getting up to a 4:50 min/mile briefly. Back to Earth on the second one. The on point with #3 and 4.

After I got home, I confirmed I was down 3 pounds. That's an unusually high amount of weight loss post-run. So it's a good idea to change the route so I can have more access to water more often.

Thursday was a T+D of 112 with full sun. I tried to go super slow to get my HR really low. I hit a 9:06 average pace, but my HR was 129. This was unusually high. I also started to notice that my resting HR had been creeping up over the last couple of weeks. I was starting to get concerned with the HR data.

Friday was a T+D of 130 with full sun. I kept it easy again with an average pace of 8:49, but the HR was 135. Now I was really getting concerned. A 135 is more like 7:30s just a few weeks ago. Why the sudden increase? I decided to update my resting HR data and take a look.

Individual day data:

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 8.21.53 PM.png

Weekly average data (which smooths out the noise):

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 8.22.50 PM.png

I think the racing and increasing temps have worked together to cause these increases. The timing of the increase coincides with the first race (5/13).

I'll also started to notice the HRvPace graph start to predict slower times. Now, the purpose of the graph is to predict currently. Which means that as the temps increase and the paces slow, as does the projections.

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 8.24.54 PM.png

The black line was just three weeks ago, and now we're at the green line. So the pendulum of improvements has started to swing the other direction with the impending summer training coming.

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 8.28.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 8.28.10 PM.png

Saturday was a race against the weather. I slept a glorious 10.5 hrs and then woke up realizing a storm was impending upon us. So the decision was to either squeeze a run in before the storm (with clouds and cooler temps) or after the storm (with sun and high 80s). I went with clouds and possible shorter run. The weather alert was for cloud to ground lightening and hail, so I wasn't going to mess around with it. When I saw/heard anything I was out of there. So when I heard a rumble, I v-lined it home. I stayed no more than 0.4 miles from home and pretty much any point. I was disappointed to only get 3.8, but since this was day #12 of running in a row, I'd take it.

Sunday was a test. It was only a test. If it weren't a test, then ummm... what would it be? Just a training run or a race I guess... Anyways...

Lakefront Marathon training (race is 10/1) is coming up, which means I'm in the meat of training plan writing. One of the most critical aspects of training plans is "current fitness". I'm a big believer that to maximize gains/benefits from training it's important to train where you are physiologically and not necessarily where you want to be. I want to be a 2:59:59 on 10/1, but at this point that's a goal and not necessarily what I should train for. So while I'm in the midst of pulling back a bit on racing I decided to make today's run a test.

1) Determine current fitness. I ran a 19:29 time trial on 5/13 under ideal weather conditions. No other runners and some bad pacing led me to believe I probably had a little more time to shave off. Although subsequent time trials and real races produced worse results (20:11 and 20:30). I'm confident based on some of the training runs (11 miles in 6:55 avg.) that the 20 min 5ks are not where I am (fatigue and inc temps/sun factored into those) and the 19:29 is more representative.

So the following race equivalents have a long run pace:
3:00 (18:42 5k) 7:29
3:02:30 (19:00 5k) 7:35
3:05:30 (19:19 5k) 7:43
3:07 (19:29 5k) 7:47

So my goal going into this run was to see where about the long run pacing would fall when run by effort.

2) Use the temp+dew adjustment calculator to determine appropriate pacing. Before the run started, it looked like a T+D of 131 with clouds. So I settled on a 2.5% adjustment.

3:00 (18:42 5k) 7:29 + 2.5% = 7:40
3:02:30 (19:00 5k) 7:35 + 2.5% = 7:47
3:05:30 (19:19 5k) 7:43 + 2.5% = 7:54
3:07 (19:29 5k) 7:47 + 2.5% = 7:58

3) Take WAY more water than needed in the past. Over the last 5 years I've settled on 3 oz per mile of water. Only when the T+D gets over 150 have I ever had to change that. But these first few summer days have been brutal as I find myself losing weight post-run and feeling thirsty during the run. So I took 66 oz of water for consumption and pouring on me. Normally, that would have been good for 22 miles.

I decided to wake up at 4:30am to get the run started at 6:30am so I could avoid the inevitable beast of summer heat (It's 85 now at 10:30). From this point forward in training (at least during the summer), I won't count the first long run interval towards the window pacing because carrying 66oz of water, ice packs, and bottles gets heavy for that first 0.5 miles. It totally pulls down the running average.

I always run 3.1 mile loops (the bunny on a pogo stick). So this makes comparing the different miles easier to each other.

Beg loop - 7:50, 7:51, 7:49, 7:44
Mid loop - 7:35, 7:39, 7:44, 7:49
End loop - 7:42, 7:47, 7:50

Mid and End seemed to fade a bit, but the beg seemed to pick up as the run progressed. Overall though, 12/13 intervals within what I believed to be an appropriate window going into the run (somewhere around 7:40-7:58)

The first half of the run was 7:45 avg. and the second half a 7:46 avg. So pretty darn even.

Now, the original goal was a 2.5% adjustment based on a 131 T+D. But at 7.5 miles, the clouds decided to move on and the SUN decided to wave hello! Ooof! At 7.5 miles, the T+D was 136 (3% adjustment), but now with sun. At, the end of the run, the T+D was 139 (3% adjustment), and still a full sun.

I could tell by the end of the run I was really feeling it. The effort was creeping up and I knew I could finish 14 (maybe 15 at this pace), but 16 would have been a stretch. So the pacing was solid throughout.

The HR tells an interesting story. My long run historical HR is a 138-142. In almost all cases, my HR stays relatively flat from beginning to end (little to no cardiac drift). But this run was different. The first half was 142 and the second half 146. This definitely lines up with even pacing, yet increasing T+D and the sun beating down on me.

HR from a 5/7 long run (with my usual no drift):

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 8.32.39 PM.png

HR from a Sunday's long run (with drift):

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 8.33.15 PM.png

I ended up consuming/pouring all 66 oz of water. So at the moment, I'll adjust my usage of water to 5 oz per mile and see how that goes for the next few days. I still weighed 4 pounds less when I came home, but I wasn't as thirsty throughout the run. So I feel the water consumption/pouring was probably right on target today.

So at the end of the day, the question is what does my 7:45 average with a HR of 144 say to me in terms of my current fitness based on a mostly effort based run (but not blind). With a T+D adjustment of 2.5-3%, it would appear my fitness is around a 3:02:30 (7:47-7:49 adjusted long run). This happens to be exactly what I thought going into the run, so this helps reconfirm that feeling. At this very moment, that's where I'll set the next training plan's pacing. I'll use the 10k on 6/17 as more data and see how it lines up with a T+D of whatever occurs that morning. Overall, I'm happy with the run and the information I was able to glean from it. And that concludes a new PR of 13 straight running days too!

A solid training week and I'm feeling stronger and hoping that this will give me that extra push towards the Hot2Trot 10k in 12 days. It looks like there are 20 people signed up thus far with 5 in my division. Winning is out of the question because it appears a local bada** female is racing this local race. She typically wins the female crown and recently ran a 36 min 10k. Yea, tough to compete with that. But maybe a second place, if I can play to my own skills and race within myself.

Last edited:
I use the asics gel kayanos almost exclusively. I just picked up three more pairs on sale and I think that your idea of recording the mileage is a really good practice. I also picked up a pair of hurricane isos. They seem very cushy.

Thank you for the detailed response. I sorta wouldn't know what shoes that need to be retired feel like. Lol. I just will notice things like wearing holes around the ankles or the treads getting worn.

Typically the feel is the shoes feeling like they're not helping you anymore and you can "feel" the road more than you want. I usually feel it in my knees and hips when the shoes get old. I probably retire them a bit too soon, but I try and play it safe to avoid injuries because I've worn shoes a tad too long before and it can set me back a week or two on a single bad run decision. We're talking pennies when it comes down to that "last run".

Typically the feel is the shoes feeling like they're not helping you anymore and you can "feel" the road more than you want. I usually feel it in my knees and hips when the shoes get old. I probably retire them a bit too soon, but I try and play it safe to avoid injuries because I've worn shoes a tad too long before and it can set me back a week or two on a single bad run decision. We're talking pennies when it comes down to that "last run".

This is very helpful.

This week my plan is to pay special attention to how the shoes feel and see if I notice how some older ones feel vs some newer ones. And I will start to track the mileage.

I have actually been moving away from the Kinvaras the last couple of years...some of the changes they have made just didn't quite work for me anymore. I would consistently get 300-400 miles out of them though. I have moved to New Balance Zantes now, using versions 1, 2 and 3...all have been great for me. Very simple shoe, which is what the old Kinvaras used to be. I am getting between 400-500 consistently and even have one pair that is closing in on 600 miles and they are just starting to feel "done".

12 Days to Go (The pendulum swings again)

View attachment 242003

Date - Day - Scheduled Workout (Intervals within desired pace, Strength +/- 5 sec, everything else +/- 10 sec)

5/30/17 - T - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
5/31/17 - W - 2 mi WU + 5 x 1 mile @ T w/ 1 min RI + 4 x 200m @ R + 2 mi CD (5/9)
6/1/17 - R - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/2/17 - F - 7 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/3/17 - Sat - 4 miles @ 8:04-9:01 min/mile
6/4/17 - Sun - 14 miles @ 7:47 min/mile (12/13)
6/5/17 - M - OFF (Wedding Anniversary)

Total (training) mileage = 56.3 miles
Number of SOS intervals within pace = 17/22 (77%)

Monday was covered in the last update as it was a holiday and I opted for no rest day. That meant I would break my longest running streak of 7 days with as many as 13 days if I made it to Sunday.

Tuesday was a T+D of 109 and clouds. With the switch to two hard workouts during this recovery phase (because of too much racing) it was an easy day.

Wednesday was a T+D of 113 with 12 mph wind and full sun.

T pace = 6:38 min/mile with T+D adjustment of 0.5% = 6:40 min/mile
T window = +/- 5 seconds (6:35-6:45)

R pace = 5:36 min/mile (200m = 41 sec)
R window = +/- 1 second

I normally need about 3 oz of water per mile. I took 36 oz of water with me hoping this would be enough. Originally this was going to be 6x1 mile, but after the 4th mile I realized I was definitely not going to have enough water to finish out the run. So I decided to skip the last mile interval.

T intervals - 6:39, 6:38, 6:45, 6:48, 7:00

The bag of water bottles and ice packs was really heavy. It really drove home the message that I can't use the bunny head route anymore during the summer. It's too far to carry the water and to exposed to the sun and wind. So, I'll go back to my old speed route.

For the most part, the run felt comfortable. I mean it wasn't easy by any means. But definitely better. But I'm sure I didn't bring, drink, pour enough water.

R intervals - 40, 44, 42, 41

I was happy with the R pace at the end. I really wanted to do a run with R pacing because I wanted to see if that raw speed and power was still there. Point taken on that first R interval with the speed getting up to a 4:50 min/mile briefly. Back to Earth on the second one. The on point with #3 and 4.

After I got home, I confirmed I was down 3 pounds. That's an unusually high amount of weight loss post-run. So it's a good idea to change the route so I can have more access to water more often.

Thursday was a T+D of 112 with full sun. I tried to go super slow to get my HR really low. I hit a 9:06 average pace, but my HR was 129. This was unusually high. I also started to notice that my resting HR had been creeping up over the last couple of weeks. I was starting to get concerned with the HR data.

Friday was a T+D of 130 with full sun. I kept it easy again with an average pace of 8:49, but the HR was 135. Now I was really getting concerned. A 135 is more like 7:30s just a few weeks ago. Why the sudden increase? I decided to update my resting HR data and take a look.

Individual day data:

View attachment 242004

Weekly average data (which smooths out the noise):

View attachment 242005

I think the racing and increasing temps have worked together to cause these increases. The timing of the increase coincides with the first race (5/13).

I'll also started to notice the HRvPace graph start to predict slower times. Now, the purpose of the graph is to predict currently. Which means that as the temps increase and the paces slow, as does the projections.

View attachment 242008

The black line was just three weeks ago, and now we're at the green line. So the pendulum of improvements has started to swing the other direction with the impending summer training coming.

View attachment 242010

View attachment 242009

Saturday was a race against the weather. I slept a glorious 10.5 hrs and then woke up realizing a storm was impending upon us. So the decision was to either squeeze a run in before the storm (with clouds and cooler temps) or after the storm (with sun and high 80s). I went with clouds and possible shorter run. The weather alert was for cloud to ground lightening and hail, so I wasn't going to mess around with it. When I saw/heard anything I was out of there. So when I heard a rumble, I v-lined it home. I stayed no more than 0.4 miles from home and pretty much any point. I was disappointed to only get 3.8, but since this was day #12 of running in a row, I'd take it.

Sunday was a test. It was only a test. If it weren't a test, then ummm... what would it be? Just a training run or a race I guess... Anyways...

Lakefront Marathon training (race is 10/1) is coming up, which means I'm in the meat of training plan writing. One of the most critical aspects of training plans is "current fitness". I'm a big believer that to maximize gains/benefits from training it's important to train where you are physiologically and not necessarily where you want to be. I want to be a 2:59:59 on 10/1, but at this point that's a goal and not necessarily what I should train for. So while I'm in the midst of pulling back a bit on racing I decided to make today's run a test.

1) Determine current fitness. I ran a 19:29 time trial on 5/13 under ideal weather conditions. No other runners and some bad pacing led me to believe I probably had a little more time to shave off. Although subsequent time trials and real races produced worse results (20:11 and 20:30). I'm confident based on some of the training runs (11 miles in 6:55 avg.) that the 20 min 5ks are not where I am (fatigue and inc temps/sun factored into those) and the 19:29 is more representative.

3:00 (18:42 5k) 7:29
3:02:30 (19:00 5k) 7:35
3:05:30 (19:19 5k) 7:43
3:07 (19:29 5k) 7:47

So my goal going into this run was to see where about the long run pacing would fall when run by effort.

2) Use the temp+dew adjustment calculator to determine appropriate pacing. Before the run started, it looked like a T+D of 131 with clouds. So I settled on a 2.5% adjustment.

3:00 (18:42 5k) 7:29 + 2.5% = 7:40
3:02:30 (19:00 5k) 7:35 + 2.5% = 7:47
3:05:30 (19:19 5k) 7:43 + 2.5% = 7:54
3:07 (19:29 5k) 7:47 + 2.5% = 7:58

3) Take WAY more water than needed in the past. Over the last 5 years I've settled on 3 oz per mile of water. Only when the T+D gets over 150 have I ever had to change that. But these first few summer days have been brutal as I find myself losing weight post-run and feeling thirsty during the run. So I took 66 oz of water for consumption and pouring on me. Normally, that would have been good for 22 miles.

I decided to wake up at 4:30am to get the run started at 6:30am so I could avoid the inevitable beast of summer heat (It's 85 now at 10:30). From this point forward in training (at least during the summer), I won't count the first long run interval towards the window pacing because carrying 66oz of water, ice packs, and bottles gets heavy for that first 0.5 miles. It totally pulls down the running average.

I always run 3.1 mile loops (the bunny on a pogo stick). So this makes comparing the different miles easier to each other.

Beg loop - 7:50, 7:51, 7:49, 7:44
Mid loop - 7:35, 7:39, 7:44, 7:49
End loop - 7:42, 7:47, 7:50

Mid and End seemed to fade a bit, but the beg seemed to pick up as the run progressed. Overall though, 12/13 intervals within what I believed to be an appropriate window going into the run (somewhere around 7:40-7:58)

The first half of the run was 7:45 avg. and the second half a 7:46 avg. So pretty darn even.

Now, the original goal was a 2.5% adjustment based on a 131 T+D. But at 7.5 miles, the clouds decided to move on and the SUN decided to wave hello! Ooof! At 7.5 miles, the T+D was 136 (3% adjustment), but now with sun. At, the end of the run, the T+D was 139 (3% adjustment), and still a full sun.

I could tell by the end of the run I was really feeling it. The effort was creeping up and I knew I could finish 14 (maybe 15 at this pace), but 16 would have been a stretch. So the pacing was solid throughout.

The HR tells an interesting story. My long run historical HR is a 138-142. In almost all cases, my HR stays relatively flat from beginning to end (little to no cardiac drift). But this run was different. The first half was 142 and the second half 146. This definitely lines up with even pacing, yet increasing T+D and the sun beating down on me.

HR from a 5/7 long run (with my usual no drift):

View attachment 242015

HR from a Sunday's long run (with drift):

View attachment 242014

I ended up consuming/pouring all 66 oz of water. So at the moment, I'll adjust my usage of water to 5 oz per mile and see how that goes for the next few days. I still weighed 4 pounds less when I came home, but I wasn't as thirsty throughout the run. So I feel the water consumption/pouring was probably right on target today.

So at the end of the day, the question is what does my 7:45 average with a HR of 144 say to me in terms of my current fitness based on a mostly effort based run (but not blind). With a T+D adjustment of 2.5-3%, it would appear my fitness is around a 3:02:30 (7:47-7:49 adjusted long run). This happens to be exactly what I thought going into the run, so this helps reconfirm that feeling. At this very moment, that's where I'll set the next training plan's pacing. I'll use the 10k on 6/17 as more data and see how it lines up with a T+D of whatever occurs that morning. Overall, I'm happy with the run and the information I was able to glean from it. And that concludes a new PR of 13 straight running days too!

A solid training week and I'm feeling stronger and hoping that this will give me that extra push towards the Hot2Trot 10k in 12 days. It looks like there are 20 people signed up thus far with 5 in my division. Winning is out of the question because it appears a local bada** female is racing this local race. She typically wins the female crown and recently ran a 36 min 10k. Yea, tough to compete with that. But maybe a second place, if I can play to my own skills and race within myself.

Great recap! Do you have any research/guidelines for proper weight loss after runs? I personally lose about 3-4 pounds on every easy run this time of year and I don't switch to my 66oz camel pack until I go over an hour. I don't usually lose over 5 pounds, but every once in awhile I'll hit 6-7 pounds. Also, does heat acclimation allow you to speed back up at any point? As you've seen 99% of my runs this time of year are at a TD of 140+ and now most are in the 150's... I'm really used to it,
so it really doesn't bother me except the first week or two...but I still get some cardiac drift from it even when I feel great effort wise. Is this okay?

Also, I've never gotten a concreat answer on shoe replacement... it seems like everyone just says you'll know... I really don't know though, and I don't want to pick up an injury or throw away money repalcing too early. What precisely feels off with the shoe once it goes bad? I've been using the wear of the sole as my indicator now, but the shoe still feels great lol.

Do you have any research/guidelines for proper weight loss after runs? I personally lose about 3-4 pounds on every easy run this time of year and I don't switch to my 66oz camel pack until I go over an hour. I don't usually lose over 5 pounds, but every once in awhile I'll hit 6-7 pounds.

I don't believe there is any appropriate %. I think it's something you could track on an individual basis. I read two papers recently and the consensus was the following: a) Not all weight loss from running is from loss of water, so replacing with water isn't 100% necessary and b) ideal racing performance occurred when runners drank when thirsty (this beat out never drink and drink at set rate).

Also, does heat acclimation allow you to speed back up at any point?

Yes. It takes the body roughly 14 days or 10 workouts to reach that acclimation. But once it occurs, things should start to normalize. But it's just one piece to the overall puzzle.

even when I feel great effort wise. Is this okay?

At the end of the day, I think this is what matters the most. If the effort feels good and matches historical memories of the same type of run, and the effort for the proceeding runs are still good. And you see no fade in the process, then you're likely where you need to be. If you start to see more fades, or more random missed workouts, then it's time to re-evaluate any pace adjustments that may be necessary.

Also, I've never gotten a concreat answer on shoe replacement... it seems like everyone just says you'll know... I really don't know though, and I don't want to pick up an injury or throw away money repalcing too early. What precisely feels off with the shoe once it goes bad?

That's an easy one... when your response isn't this:

but the shoe still feels great lol.

:D

If the shoe is still "feeling great", then there's no need to replace. When it's not feeling great, then it's time to consider otherwise. If you need a reminder of what something should feel like, try rotating in a new pair about 50-75% through the life of another. This will give you something to compare with as you alternate them. Plus, you're just watching out for niggles and wiggles in how the run made you feel. Something feels off, be ready to retire the shoe. The reason you haven't gotten a more concrete answer is because there isn't one. It's whenever you're ready to say goodbye to the shoe, that it's time to retire. Like I said, I'm extra cautious in this regard and the second something doesn't feel right. Cya! Not wasting my time with that and the pennies it'll save me in the very long term (like years) of running.

But it became a game of "I can't play soccer because I can't learn. I'm not any good."
I saw this a lot when I coached. Does have a friend or cousin or someone (not a parent) she can kick the ball around with? If I could help them build skills more casually, I would. I found that they learned "tricks" that they then carried in to practice and saw their confidence grow from there.
Thanks! She always likes to be the royalty at the event!
I love this.
87?!?!?! for a kid that was barely two
Oi. That doesn't seem that high to this mama of a one and a half year old. Between hand-me-downs, gifts, and the stuff we thought was so cute for her, we have amassed quite a large outgrown wardrobe. It happens ;)

Also, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

I saw this a lot when I coached. Does have a friend or cousin or someone (not a parent) she can kick the ball around with? If I could help them build skills more casually, I would. I found that they learned "tricks" that they then carried in to practice and saw their confidence grow from there.

Unfortunately, we don't really have anyone her age for her to play with. That's what we're hoping to find through these classes, but it just hasn't clicked yet. Although the classes being parent/child doesn't help because G wants to play with the other kids. We'll find something eventually. Tee-ball starts next week and then swimming starts for the next 10 weeks in 2 weeks.

Oi. That doesn't seem that high to this mama of a one and a half year old. Between hand-me-downs, gifts, and the stuff we thought was so cute for her, we have amassed quite a large outgrown wardrobe. It happens ;)

Don't we know it!

Also, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

YUM! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Happy Anniversary!! :flower3:

Love that shirt!!

Happy Anniversary!!

Thanks!

I don't believe there is any appropriate %. I think it's something you could track on an individual basis. I read two papers recently and the consensus was the following: a) Not all weight loss from running is from loss of water, so replacing with water isn't 100% necessary and b) ideal racing performance occurred when runners drank when thirsty (this beat out never drink and drink at set rate).

Makes sense, so it sounds like I have nothing to worry about :-)

That's an easy one... when your response isn't this:
:D

If the shoe is still "feeling great", then there's no need to replace. When it's not feeling great, then it's time to consider otherwise. If you need a reminder of what something should feel like, try rotating in a new pair about 50-75% through the life of another. This will give you something to compare with as you alternate them. Plus, you're just watching out for niggles and wiggles in how the run made you feel. Something feels off, be ready to retire the shoe. The reason you haven't gotten a more concrete answer is because there isn't one. It's whenever you're ready to say goodbye to the shoe, that it's time to retire. Like I said, I'm extra cautious in this regard and the second something doesn't feel right. Cya! Not wasting my time with that and the pennies it'll save me in the very long term (like years) of running.

Haha! So it doesn't matter if you wear through the rubber on certain parts of the shoe as long is still feels great?

Also,Happy Anniversarypixiedust:

Unfortunately, we don't really have anyone her age for her to play with. That's what we're hoping to find through these classes, but it just hasn't clicked yet. Although the classes being parent/child doesn't help because G wants to play with the other kids. We'll find something eventually. Tee-ball starts next week and then swimming starts for the next 10 weeks in 2 weeks.

Don't we know it!

Thanks!
As you can see this predicts a 3:24:48 if we can get your endurance to match your current speed. Attached is an updated training plan that takes into account this fitness level. It has new pacing and new distances to match the intended durations of the workouts. Let me know if you have questions.

First off Belated Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. I hope you both enjoyed it?
Had a great week last week obviously highlighted with the pr 21:19 for the 5K looking forward to the revised training plan.
A couple of small spanners to throw in the mix.
I've decided to run a Charity 10k on Sunday 6/(this is a Qualifier run for teh Wine & Dine in WDW so I'll be with the girls and at a 6Min/Klm pace
Might it be easier to switch Both these LR's with the week before's one? I'm concerned particularly about the July one as this is the longest LR in the plan.
What do you think?

Don't we know it!

Thanks!
As you can see this predicts a 3:24:48 if we can get your endurance to match your current speed. Attached is an updated training plan that takes into account this fitness level. It has new pacing and new distances to match the intended durations of the workouts. Let me know if you have questions.

First off Belated Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. I hope you both enjoyed it?
Had a great week last week obviously highlighted with the pr 21:19 for the 5K looking forward to the revised training plan.
A couple of small spanners to throw in the mix.
I've decided to run a Charity 10k on Sunday 6/(this is a Qualifier run for teh Wine & Dine in WDW so I'll be with the girls and at a 6Min/Klm pace
Might it be easier to switch Both these LR's with the week before's one? I'm concerned particularly about the July one as this is the longest LR in the plan.
What do you think?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter