TLDR: Husband lost job weeks after planning and paying for our disney trip . Its non refundable. Should we still go?

1. get that timeshare rental re-rented.
2. cancel the good neighbor hotel. That is definitely a refundable cost.
3. Check with that third party ticket broker again and make sure the tickets are truly non-refundable. Most have processing fees to refund you (5-10%) but hey, that’s cheaper than having to reschedule to a future date.

In our family we’d have a SAHD for a while while I went out and found a job to support our family, doing whatever I had to do so that we stay afloat and give my husband time to find something that’s going to be good for him long term. It’s a team effort, and some local jobs can often get started pretty quickly. (I saw a local coffee shop offering $24/hr to come in for early morning hours ~4am, not bad!) You don’t say if you have any skills but maybe this is a good time to re-evaluate all of that. I hate to say it but what would happen if you lost your husband suddenly? Do you have a plan in place to support yourself and your child should that happen? Insurance (disability, life, etc.)? Savings? Emergency funds? These are things that are important to financial, family security.

Sorry if that strays a bit from the question of whether you should go on your trip, but, as others have said (and whether this first post is a hoax or not, others are reading and learning, too) it’s good to talk about these things. I know it’s super difficult with today’s costs (as it was when we were starting out from scratch, as well). But it is reality in the world we live in. Personally I’d postpone the trip and get busy building financial security for our family. That is a better gift to your child than a Disney trip at this point that your baby won’t even remember. Once things are more secure you can look forward to planning another trip in the future. And yes, staying at Disney and buying your tickets through them may be a little pricier (though there are ways to keep costs down), but they’re good about helping out for emergencies. I was diagnosed with cancer 10 days before our first Disney cruise and had a similar decision to make. I called Disney to discuss it and they said we wouldn’t lose a penny, that they’d move our reservation up and we could go later. It was such a relief to hear that.

Good luck with this. Sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture even though it’s not what we really want to do. And I do believe that things happen for a reason. (Consider it could be a life lesson that helps your family out in the long run, for instance.)
Well said!! 👍 Always make sure you and your family are protected “money wise”. Best gift you can give them is to have a Plan B if the worst happens.

Many, many years ago this happened to my husband and I. We had a trip planned to Hawaii. We were lucky that we were staying with my brother in his timeshare and my plane ticket was paid for by my brother for my birthday. However, there was still the expense of eating, renting a car etc. We took the trip. Never regretted it. You only live once and it seems you have your bills in order. Go and enjoy it.

1. get that timeshare rental re-rented.
2. cancel the good neighbor hotel. That is definitely a refundable cost.
3. Check with that third party ticket broker again and make sure the tickets are truly non-refundable. Most have processing fees to refund you (5-10%) but hey, that’s cheaper than having to reschedule to a future date.
Nothing to add to this thread, but how do go about re-renting a timeshare. I’ve rented points from DVC rental store and I have no idea if it’s doable.

Nothing to add to this thread, but how do go about re-renting a timeshare. I’ve rented points from DVC rental store and I have no idea if it’s doable.

You talk to the person you rented from to get permission to re-rent it and advertise it like heck in various timeshare groups.

You talk to the person you rented from to get permission to re-rent it and advertise it like heck in various timeshare groups.
What if you rented through DVC rental store? They don't give out the renter's information. It's a third-party site.

Don’t they offer insurance?
I'm sure they do, but I don't know if OP bought that. She said she booked through a timeshare third-party resale site. Selling her reservation is most likely not an option. If your going to give advice it should be applicable.

I'm sure they do, but I don't know if OP bought that. She said she booked through a timeshare third-party resale site. Selling her reservation is most likely not an option. If you’re going to give advice it should be applicable.

you don’t know that it’s not an option.
She was told it was non-refundable. But not anything else.

you don’t know that it’s not an option.
She was told it was non-refundable. But not anything else.
She said she booked through a resale site. If she bought insurance then there is a refund option that's why you buy insurance. I was curious to know if you could offer it for resale if booking through a third party. You obviously do not know the answer.

She said she booked through a resale site. If she bought insurance then there is a refund option that's why you buy insurance. I was curious to know if you could offer it for resale if booking through a third party. You obviously do not know the answer.
To be fair, the answer could vary, depending on the resale site involved. None of us know which resale site the OP used, and what their policies might be. Starry_solo's point is, it doesn't hurt to check. And ask.

I’ve rented three timeshares for vacations this summer and though all say non refundable, they all can be rerented to recoup your money in case of unforeseen circumstances which this definitely is. I wouldn’t go to WDW if it was me and throw good money after bad in this situation.

To be fair, the answer could vary, depending on the resale site involved. None of us know which resale site the OP used, and what their policies might be. Starry_solo's point is, it doesn't hurt to check. And ask.
I’ve researched most of them and the policies are pretty clear. If you’re going to rent point from a resale site expect to lose your money if you cancel or buy insurance. The resale company may turn around and re rent the reservation, but don’t expect a refund.

GO! I have taken phone calls from potential employers and the EDD from ski slopes and amusement parks more than once. This is just one of life's little hurdles - you'll get through it. Get the resumes sent out, get the unemployment paperwork filed, but otherwise just consider this period of unemployment as an extended vacation.

GO! I have taken phone calls from potential employers and the EDD from ski slopes and amusement parks more than once. This is just one of life's little hurdles - you'll get through it. Get the resumes sent out, get the unemployment paperwork filed, but otherwise just consider this period of unemployment as an extended vacation.
There is no guarantee of unemployment.

There is no guarantee of unemployment.

even if it's clear cut eligibility it can be a LONG wait for actual receipt of benefits-i have a family member who is 6 weeks out, filing claims every week and still has not received a cent yet (and others in our state are reporting upwards of a 2 1/2 month wait :( ).

Hi there. Im a sahm to a sweet baby boy and I'm having a serious dilemma and mental crisis at the moment. Sort of needing some advice or support..

Myself as well as my husband have been disney fans since childhood. Met when we were in our late teens/early 20s (We both had rough childhoods, grew up very poor and not able to go on any sort of vacations) We have been together for 9 years and only taken 1 small vacation together.

Well back in November he landed a great job making double what he previously earned, with promises of that being doubled as well as he was promised a promotion to general manager by June.

Our son was born 3 months early in a truamtic emergency birth that almost cost my life, and spent that long in the NICU. He almost didn't make it. We had palative care talking to us and everything. When he started getting better and we were finally able to take him home we made a promise to give him everything we never had. To have great experiences, go on adventures and make memories. Just to cherish our time with him as we are so lucky and grateful to have it.

after awhile of being home we aquired a sizable savings from the leftover (besides bills) coupled with tax refund money. Things are/ were going great.

Around new year we started talking about possibly a Disney vacation. As I had signed up for a timeshare resale site just dabbling and found really great deals offered to us for the month of May on disney property. Our littles only going to be a year old In may so no disney tickt required! We only paid around 1200 for ours for 5 days, and a little over 1000 for a week in a good neighbor
, on property resort. We also purchased 300 worth of disney gift cards for park snacks ( planned on bringing our own as well) and incidentals. And maybe splurged a little on matching shirts! Typical tourist I know.

Well all the sudden my husband comes home and informs me that he got fired. We are absolutely baffled and taken aback. He was always getting compliments by the owner for his work ethic and customer service. And even his overseeing manager didn't seem to have any issues with him either. He was her assistant manager. He's never been fired anywhere before. And the claims were totally bogus by the way. She wrote him up for doing stuff he was trained to do and following the protocols she taught him. Which i guess werent exactly company protocols (to which he wasnt aware till after being let go..) No warning or anything. Just a termination.

Besides the point. We have already booked the trip, it's non refundable. None of it. I checked..Except maybe the clothes that could be sent back but honestly it's not a drop in the bucket and really wouldn't matter at this point. I'd also like to note that we paid up 2 months on both rent and car payments and a month on bills and don't owe until a month after returning from vacation. (Mid june) I currently have 1000 in savings and nothing due (electric, insurance. Gas, internet) until next month. ( april) He started looking for a new job immediately after the shock faded.

I guess I'm just venting and also asking if we should still go ? I hate to waste the money on the trip but also we still have to pay for gas and any extras like food for the resort, deposits for the room. Etc. And his last check will be here in a week, probably around 1300. Which we could use for that and just be suuuuper frugal while there. Plus it's still up in the air what he will be making or if and when he will aquire new employment. There's just a lot of uncertainty right now.

I don't really know what our next steps should be. I'm feeling really guilty and stupid for booking this trip. So so so guilty like I failed our family with what now feels like a pipe dream. All the anxiety has ruined the magic and anticipation for me but my husband is so optimistic in the fact that everything will be okay, and we should still go enjoy ourselves and the joy of seeing our sons face light up in the parks and on the ( no height requirement) rides. He also believes he will have a new job that will be okay with all that vacation time off ( we are driving and will take 2 days there and 2 days back so 11 days total) I guess I'm just having a hard time staying positive right now.

Any advice is welcomed. Maybe I just need an outside source to tell me the truth of the situation. Whatever that may be. And to maybe help us do this without spending too much more...

Thank you in advance!
Since it’s not refundable I would say go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter