Tipping overload?

Sure it does. Your table of two will tip less than the table for 4 or 6 as a rule because fewer guests mean less work for the server
So how about introducing a "per diner" fee. So every person at the table pays a set amount. Say $5pp at a "medium" end and $10pp at a high end. State that upfront and that it replaces tipping?

Then tables with more people (more work for the server) = higher fees.

Having been a server for a whole bunch of years as a teen and young adult, part of that is attitude and atmosphere (that doesn't account for the entirety of the difference tho). At a higher end restaurant, as a server I have to dress better, have a different attitude than your standard diner server (for example), and the diners have a different level of expectations. I'm also tipping out a percentage of my sales to the bussers, bartenders, hostesses and expediters that a small restaurant wouldn't even have on staff. While I could make great $ as a server, I'm on the side of the businesses should (in my personal opinion) pay a living wage and not leave it on the customer.

I’m talking about in the same restaurant. One of our favorite local restaurants is an upscale Italian place. I could order a pizza for $11, a pasta for 21 or a steak for $39. There is no more work for the server to deliver the $39 steak than there is for the pizza or pasta. Yet the tip would be double or more than triple. That’s what I disagree with.

Last edited:
Sure it does. Your table of two will tip less than the table for 4 or 6 as a rule because fewer guests mean less work for the server.

I'm not disagreeing with your concerns, just explaining the historical context of the system.

Raising the prices of meals and establishing a no-tipping culture in restaurants has been tried in American restaurants many times and has failed for numerous reasons (servers hate it for one) Changing culture is not easy.
If anyplace could do this, it's Disney. Mandate fair wages and benefits (yes, I know not all food service is operated by Disney, but it's their park.). Charge whatever they need to charge to pay for it. We are all used to paying silly Disney prices for things, so people will pay up and it will be a more relaxing experience.

So we had an interesting experience when we went out for dinner last night. Chili’s has the 3 for me deals where you pay a fixed cost and get an appetizer, meal and drink. So for 10.99 you can get a soup, soda, and burger. When we checked the bill, the server rang it up as each individual item separately and then subtracted the discount. Because of that the default tip was double what it normally would have been had he rung it up as the 3 for me. it’s one thing to calculate a tip before coupons but switching my meal to ala carte on the bill so you can get a bigger tip, sorry no.

I hired out window washing for the first time. They quoted 375 for my two story (indoor, outdoor, and screens). It seemed reasonable to me but they didn't do a job *that much* better than when I do it myself. He gave me the option to pay via card so I thought 'hey, sure, credit card points. Why not?' of course he then runs my card and hands the phone back to me so I can click the preselected tip box, 10 /15/20 percent. 20% on 375 really ups the total and I'm certain those that pay cash aren't prompted for a tip😡. I found it super annoying.

Since when are we expected to tip hired contractors and professionals? Just quote me what you want to be paid!

I'm a nurse, maybe I should start expecting a tip for getting your IV on the first try 😁
This reminded me of something.

I was at a concert this past summer and we went up to get a bite to eat at a concession stand (they use Aramark for their food services.) It was a bit of a cluster (because they were just opening for the night and there was already a line) and the people working the stands, especially the cashier, couldn’t have been much worse (rolling eyes and making rude statements; not giving the right food products, etc).

So cashier finally rings up our order and the “tip suggestions” window comes up on a big screen. While I was thinking about it, DS reached over and hit the “20%” button, to help move us along. I was like, “What are you doing?” :headache: He didn’t realize. I was planning to decline.

Meanwhile, DD went over to get some wine at another stand. The guy gave her a warm/unchilled bottle of wine and no glass. She asked for a glass, and he looked around and handed her one that was visibly covered in pollen. When the same tip window came up and he actually directed her to tip, she declined, and he got mad. She came back upset about the interaction.

It does feel like a lot of pressure when the screen is staring you in the face and the person behind it wants a tip!

So we had an interesting experience when we went out for dinner last night. Chili’s has the 3 for me deals where you pay a fixed cost and get an appetizer, meal and drink. So for 10.99 you can get a soup, soda, and burger. When we checked the bill, the server rang it up as each individual item separately and then subtracted the discount. Because of that the default tip was double what it normally would have been had he rung it up as the 3 for me. it’s one thing to calculate a tip before coupons but switching my meal to ala carte on the bill so you can get a bigger tip, sorry no.
My guess is that this is the way they are told to do it. Plus isn't % of tip supposed to be on the UNDISCOUNTED price anyway?

Yet another reason % of cost doesn't work. The server did the same work for you as they would for someone who happen to purchase a salad, entree & beverage that wasn't on the discounted menu.

If you have any kind of discount or coupon they expect you tip on the full amount. I’ve never seen a meal rung up ala carte though.

My guess is that this is the way they are told to do it. Plus isn't % of tip supposed to be on the UNDISCOUNTED price anyway?

Yet another reason % of cost doesn't work. The server did the same work for you as they would for someone who happen to purchase a salad, entree & beverage that wasn't on the discounted menu.
The percentage way works in that it will incentive a waiter to up sell the meal. A good waiter will do that.

This reminded me of something.

I was at a concert this past summer and we went up to get a bite to eat at a concession stand (they use Aramark for their food services.) It was a bit of a cluster (because they were just opening for the night and there was already a line) and the people working the stands, especially the cashier, couldn’t have been much worse (rolling eyes and making rude statements; not giving the right food products, etc).

So cashier finally rings up our order and the “tip suggestions” window comes up on a big screen. While I was thinking about it, DS reached over and hit the “20%” button, to help move us along. I was like, “What are you doing?” :headache: He didn’t realize. I was planning to decline.

Meanwhile, DD went over to get some wine at another stand. The guy gave her a warm/unchilled bottle of wine and no glass. She asked for a glass, and he looked around and handed her one that was visibly covered in pollen. When the same tip window came up and he actually directed her to tip, she declined, and he got mad. She came back upset about the interaction.

It does feel like a lot of pressure when the screen is staring you in the face and the person behind it wants a tip!
I always decline. When did this all start? I feel like it started during 2020.

I always decline. When did this all start? I feel like it started during 2020.
I was in Asheville. I went to an ice cream place and ordered at the counter. There was no tip jar and I paid with cash. I gave the girl a tip just because no one asked me for one. 😁

Last edited:

When the deal was $10 it rang up as $10. There is no reason to ring up each item individually, that's not how it works anyhow. It's also not a discount, it's just how they do a deal. A deal they've been running for years. Having ordered before when it was $10 it was always rung up as $10. That individual location needs to be called out for that (and any other ones that do it). They now have "starting at" instead of a flat amount with limited menu options.

For example if I were to order it right now (with the deal having increased to $10.99)
1669575858904.png

I just priced out one for example's sake where it was a $10.99 option and here's how it looks online:
1669576000568.png

Beverage randomly selected as Dr Pepper, App randomly selected as Chips and Salsa and entree chosen for ease sake a $10.99 option.

1669576100192.png

Asking to see the manager isn't the Karen move, it's what you do once the manager comes over that makes it a Karen move. Give me facts of what is wrong and I will try very hard to make it right, if you want to complain about my employees doing their job correctly we will refuse service at that point.
That sounds pretty aggressive. :scared:

Isn't a deal the same as a discount??
No they are not the same. Pricing structure-wise, marketing-wise and profit-wise not in the least.

Chilis, Applebee's, IHOP, etc all of these use the deals to drum up business.

Another example think about it like the 2 for $20 (or well what is like $25-$30 these days lol). You're never getting 2 items full price then minus whatever it takes to get you to the amount when it's advertised and structured as 2 for whatever. You're getting 2 items rung up as $20 (or whatever the deals usually are these days).

ETA: This is why I pasted in the screenshots. The subtotal should be the $10.99 (or whatever the entree starting price was like $11.99, $13.99, etc). Then tax on top of that.

I served for many many years and i think I tip well, but i rarely tipped togo's or at the counter until the pandemic. mostly because i knew they were working with a skeleton crew and were nervous about being around the public, but didnt have a choice and wanted to pay the bills (my daughter among them).

Last night we were at panera, we ordered at the kiosk and there was a tip line when we paid. my daughter used to work there (left a couple months before the pandemic) and she said they never got any tips or anything when she was there. I can't remember if they ever asked before the new machines, but now Im wondering if the tips are actually getting to the workers in places like that.

I would like it better if we all stopped tipping and the businesses just paid all workers a decent wage.

Totally agree that it's gotten out of hand. We had our carpets cleaned a couple of weeks ago, and the tip came up as part of the fee. The $500 we paid to have them done. We weren't particularly thrilled with the technician, who let the machine leak on our hardwood floor, and, rather than stopping and looking to fix it, just picked it up and moved it to a carpeted area. He said it was getting cleaned anyway. Cleaned, yes, but not with water and solution pooling under the carpet. And it was awkward to NOT tip, because he mentioned it as I was completing the form.

Generally, I'm a great tipper for great service, but to tip as a matter of business, no. Just frustrating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter