• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping overload?

Demanding things we can't do. In the pizza business it was usually either out of delivery area, half cheese, sending a kid in with a credit card to pay or asking for a topping on half the pizza claiming to be deathly allergic to it. If you then yell at my employees for telling you no on those things, I'll be telling you no to ordering anything.
Thank you for your answer. I agree with you, nobody should be taking any of these things out on servers.

Can't do half the pizza with cheese and half without. Has to be all one or the other. If you tell me you have an allergy to a topping, I can't put that topping on only half the pizza, not taking that liability on.
I get the allergy concern but anyone with allergies I would hope would be smart enough NOT to order a half and half with an allergen on one half.
Half and half pizzas are pretty standard here.....assuming I am understanding your post correctly. https://www.pizzahut.com.au/pizza-meals/half-half-001

Last edited:
I get the allergy concern but anyone with allergies I would hope would be smart enough NOT to order a half and half with an allergen on one half.
Half and half pizzas are pretty standard here.....assuming I am understanding your post correctly. https://www.pizzahut.com.au/pizza-meals/half-half-001
I order half and half pizza's all the time. I've never had a pizza place ask me if anyone eating one half or the other half of a pizza had a food allergy. There's something weird about that post.

I order half and half pizza's all the time. I've never had a pizza place ask me if anyone eating one half or the other half of a pizza had a food allergy. There's something weird about that post.
He doesn't ask about allergies.

He said people specifically say they are allergic to an ingredient, and they ask the restaurant to only put it on half the pizza.

Last edited:

He doesn't ask about allergies.

He said people specifically say they are allergic to an ingredient, and they ask the restaurant to only put it on half the pizza.
My wife would probably tell people she is “allergic” to milk, but she’s actually lactose intolerant. She’s fine with a little bit of milk in stuff. There are a lot of people that get a bad reaction if a pizza is covered in some substance, but would be perfectly fine if it wasn’t on their side of the pizza. It seems cruel and to deny them service just because they didn’t use the correct terminology when ordering. I would first explain that there might still be traces of cheese (or whatever) on that side of the pizza, and if they were okay with that let them order it. After all, your oven, prep boards, tools and etc will all have traces of every ingredient you’ve ever used, so you can never guarantee zero exposure to anything that is normally found on a pizza.

My wife would probably tell people she is “allergic” to milk, but she’s actually lactose intolerant. She’s fine with a little bit of milk in stuff. There are a lot of people that get a bad reaction if a pizza is covered in some substance, but would be perfectly fine if it wasn’t on their side of the pizza. It seems cruel and to deny them service just because they didn’t use the correct terminology when ordering. I would first explain that there might still be traces of cheese (or whatever) on that side of the pizza, and if they were okay with that let them order it. After all, your oven, prep boards, tools and etc will all have traces of every ingredient you’ve ever used, so you can never guarantee zero exposure to anything that is normally found on a pizza.
This is me with onions and green peppers. Not allergic, throat won't close up or anything. But I'll be miserable all night and still taste them in the morning if I eat them. I have toyed with starting to just say I'm allergic since so many places are equipped to deal with that. But yeah, I'll be fine if they are on the other half of the pizza.

This is me with onions and green peppers. Not allergic, throat won't close up or anything. But I'll be miserable all night and still taste them in the morning if I eat them. I have toyed with starting to just say I'm allergic since so many places are equipped to deal with that. But yeah, I'll be fine if they are on the other half of the pizza.
Funny you should mention green peppers: my cousin also couldn't eat them. We'd always have to make sure that half the pizza had no peppers and she was fine with that. I think it must be a very common thing, but no idea why.

She also used to tell people she was allergic to peppers but, medically speaking, I guess she was intolerant. But I wouldn't dare try to tell her that. :-)

It seems cruel and to deny them service just because they didn’t use the correct terminology when ordering.
I would not use the word "allergy" when I don't have one. This is where terminology matters.

I absolutely despise bad service when I am paying a premium. I can't stand someone expecting a 30% tip or getting grumpy because they are asked to fill my water.

But I have to side with the restaurant on this one. So much liability once the word "allergy" is mentioned.

Then make people sign a release. :-)
:scratchin Are a lot of restaurants actually getting sued for this? I’ve been to many restaurants that have a little disclaimer about allergy/food preference requests and cross-contamination, on the bottom of their menus. I think it’s pretty universally accepted that people with dietary needs eat at their own risk and anybody with a life-threatening allergy is VERY unlikely to be ordering a 1/2 and 1/2 pizza.

The post that brought the whole topic into this discussion just sounded like a very snarky “our way or the highway” attitude, more than a sincere concern for the health of the customers. :rolleyes1

:scratchin Are a lot of restaurants actually getting sued for this? I’ve been to many restaurants that have a little disclaimer about allergy/food preference requests and cross-contamination, on the bottom of their menus. I think it’s pretty universally accepted that people with dietary needs eat at their own risk and anybody with a life-threatening allergy is VERY unlikely to be ordering a 1/2 and 1/2 pizza.

The post that brought the whole topic into this discussion just sounded like a very snarky “our way or the highway” attitude, more than a sincere concern for the health of the customers. :rolleyes1
My brother is a lawyer and he orders half and half pizza for our "allergic" cousin all the time. If anyone ever suggested suing over a stray piece of pepper on the wrong side, he'd laugh in their face. 🙂

Yes. The way he said it could have been presented better. Nonetheless, I still see his point. People are super litigious in US.

Yes. The way he said it could have been presented better. Nonetheless, I still see his point. People are super litigious in US.
The way it was worded wasn't just about allergies, it sounded like a request for half half (including no cheese on one side) would be declined irrespective of concerns about allergies. That is not really all that understandable when your claim is "it's the Karen customers".

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/27/world/europe/uk-takeaway-allergy-death.html

This is the UK.

I don't know if any food allergy lawsuits or manslaughter charges have occurred in USA. But never say never. People are crazy and have sued over much less.
I don't dispute the part about people being crazy. But it's the legal system that is responsible for enabling unreasonable lawsuits. If we can't order half and half pizza because of the unreasonable actions of a small minority, that would be sad.

No you can't get half cheese, no you can't get half toppings, your allergies are an inconvenience, if you complain you are a Karen and will be refused service. Now, would you like to tip 20% or 30 lol

all the pizza issues makes me wonder if this is why mod pizza does such slamming business around us. i've never seen such customization of pizzas and buying multiples of their individuals price out to much less than any of the local or national chain's larger sizes that would be suitable for sharing/trying to customize the 2 separate sides.

all the pizza issues makes me wonder if this is why mod pizza does such slamming business around us. i've never seen such customization of pizzas and buying multiples of their individuals price out to much less than any of the local or national chain's larger sizes that would be suitable for sharing/trying to customize the 2 separate sides.
Eh these newer places tend to be more about specialized ingredients/vegan/etc type pizzas than not sharing. People aren't really going to these newer places just because they don't want to share, they want the goat cheese or ricotta and pine nuts and other such ingredients that are much less common than your Pizza Hut style places. Quality of ingredients may also matter too. If someone orders just pepperoni it might be more than just your basic style at a more trendy less bulk chain. To pull a description out of Mod pizza's tagline artisan-style pizzas have had a huge surge in popularity in probably 10+ years.

That's different than asking for Italian sausage on one side and cheese on another or one side have green or red bell peppers and not the other.

Eh these newer places tend to be more about specialized ingredients/vegan/etc type pizzas than not sharing. People aren't really going to these newer places just because they don't want to share, they want the goat cheese or ricotta and pine nuts and other such ingredients that are much less common than your Pizza Hut style places. Quality of ingredients may also matter too. If someone orders just pepperoni it might be more than just your basic style at a more trendy less bulk chain. To pull a description out of Mod pizza's tagline artisan-style pizzas have had a huge surge in popularity in probably 10+ years.

That's different than asking for Italian sausage on one side and cheese on another or one side have green or red bell peppers and not the other.

mod was created to meet the wants/needs of kids who can be prone to allergies/picky about what's on pizza. 'make on demand'(mod) may have some ingredients that other places don't but the concept was built on the owner's 4 young sons-all of whom had different pizza wants. they created a model that lets you pick and choose and is affordable ($6.27/$8.27 for an individual pizza-all the toppings you want, double them/triple them-your choice). i have never been to a more accommodating and affordable pizza place.

mod was created to meet the wants/needs of kids who can be prone to allergies/picky about what's on pizza. 'make on demand'(mod) may have some ingredients that other places don't but the concept was built on the owner's 4 young sons-all of whom had different pizza wants. they created a model that lets you pick and choose and is affordable ($6.27/$8.27 for an individual pizza-all the toppings you want, double them/triple them-your choice). i have never been to a more accommodating and affordable pizza place.
Right but that's not really what you were saying. Places like Mod and many others like it aren't about requesting half whatever/half not as if that fills the marketplace that national chains do not. What we're all saying is it's pretty common to be able to request half have something half not, well except for apparently EACarlson's place where they deny that request.

Mod doesn't list your reasons as why they exist, what they are all about, etc. They seem to be far more about employees are family and giving people employment that which may not be able to readily exist such as previously incarcerated, those with intellectual disabilities, etc as well as concsious ingredient usage like animal rights, etc. "In their hometown of Seattle, they imagined a new way for people to enjoy pizza, by bringing speed, individual style and value to one of America’s favorite foods."

Perhaps the idea for a place may have come about with a personal situation but that doesn't seem to be their mission statement. They also make it abuntandly clear that "We offer a gluten-friendly and cauliflower crust option. Since we prepare our food on one serving line, we cannot guarantee that any of our menu items are free of allergens or gluten, and none of our crust options are recommended for those with a gluten sensitivity." (bolding is theirs). (a fairly standard warning).

They really aren't any different than a lot of places that have popped up that aren't your Pizza Hut, Domino style places where they are more about oomph in their pizzas.

Papa Murphy's is also place that you can also split the pizza in half including a few dairy-free cheese options, a bit more specialty ingredients, etc. We've done half and half there a lot. Oh and you can choose a half to not have cheese (or you can also do dairy-free cheese too of which there are two varieties). Although Papa Murphy's is a take and bake place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter