Thoughts on Measles outbreak?

We have had a few cases here, we were traveling through Washington State, so both DH and I got a booster of MMR, since we fell into the age bracket that only got one dose with our scheduled childhood vaccines, and had graduated secondary school after they played catch up to give the 2nd dose. DD10 has had 2 doses. we did it not only to protect ourselves, but those who can't get it for medical or age reasons.

My daughter's immunization records indicated that she had the MMR shots but we did a titer anyway (internationally adopted). Turns out her titers revealed that she had no immunity. Of course, we quickly (as possible) got her shots caught up. But, it is people like her that herd immunity protects.

I can't get how selfish some are about accepting the protection of herd immunity for their child instead of vaccinating them and being part of the immunity.

I had a baby 3 weeks ago and I’m frustrated that he’s at risk due to the germs his big brother and sister bring home from school. It’s one thing to put your own child at risk but now that we’re losing herd immunity I feel like it’s gone too far. I was thinking if the weather was nice I would like to take my baby and walk around my college campus outside with the stroller... turns out that my college is currently dealing with a mumps outbreak!

I'd love to hear the thoughts and reactions of parents from when the vaccines became available decades ago to the news that parents in the 21st century would take such a ridiculous gamble with their children's health and lives.
My grandfather had polio as a child and told us horror stories of his time while he was ill. He fortunately did not need an Iron Lung, But he did tell us as soon as the Salk Vaccine was available in Canada(1955) he took my mum and uncle to get it. He did not want them to ever suffer through what he did with polio and he got them vaccinated to prevent it.

I'd love to hear the thoughts and reactions of parents from when the vaccines became available decades ago to the news that parents in the 21st century would take such a ridiculous gamble with their children's health and lives.
Not a parent, but a vaccinee :) and i think anyone who refuses to vaccinate - and thus protect - their child hss their head up their patoot.
I have lots of thoughts about this, but to really share them would involve so many expletives, I'd be forever banned.
Surely you can share but not swear?

My grandfather had polio as a child and told us horror stories of his time while he was ill. He fortunately did not need an Iron Lung, But he did tell us as soon as the Salk Vaccine was available in Canada(1955) he took my mum and uncle to get it. He did not want them to ever suffer through what he did with polio and he got them vaccinated to prevent it.

I have an aunt on my mother's side who had polio, spent time in an iron lung and used crutches her whole life because her legs never developed correctly. The iron lung experience was incredibly traumatic and caused her lifelong issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter