Thoughts about paying extra and booking Premium Economy of a Dreamliner 787 - 8 long haul flight

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Thought I'd post here as there are so many savvy consumers out there who frequent this forum.

I normally (easier to get there and less expensive) stay closer to home for vacations. I do though prior to DH and I not wanting to do the long flight to Europe and back want to take DS 23 on a one time trip to Paris and Belfast. This will probably be the last trip that DH and I do overseas. DS has always wanted to go to Paris (I was an exchange student there too when I was younger, so he'd really like if he goes to go with me) and Belfast (He's really into Titanic history). He's lots of fun to travel with (so enthusiastic and fun to plan travel with too). All that said I have budgeted for and planned with DS a one time European trip to these two places (budget is outside of my normal annual vacation budget) to have all of us do this trip next spring.

I am looking forward to the trip, but have been dreading the travel on the cramped plane. What I really need to sleep are the flat bed seats (would be heavenly), but business or first class would be a total budget buster and not something that I would even consider. For a little under $400 pp, though, I can get wider seats with more leg room, a better recline, foot rests, and a few other extra nice perks if I book Premium Economy. Even with that, though, I know DS and I will only be able to sleep a few hours. Both of us have problems sleeping on planes. DH does better sleeping on long haul flights. Still, though, from what I read Premium Economy is pretty sweet on the Dreamliners, and many post that if it's in your budget, do it. I know years back when DH was doing a lot of travel for business I got to fly first class to Hawaii and that sure made that long haul flight more pleasant. I did another trip to Hawaii a second time a few years ago on coach (and what a difference - trip was great, but travel was cramped and unpleasant for sure). The Premium Economy upgrade fits in the budget that I have allocated for this European trip, but I do have a bit of a bean counter personality, so am still second guessing doing this (spending the extra money). The only airline I fly much on is Southwest (really just good for domestic travel from our city), and this trip will be on American (no frequent flyer mile, status perks, or free upgrades).

Have you ever paid to upgrade to Premium Economy for a long haul flight and what did you think? Would you do it again?

Thanks so much. I appreciate any and all opinions/thoughts.

Haven't traveled on AA overseas in donkey years but I do on other airlines. I would always upgrade to a seat that reclines more and gives more length for extra cost. It's worth it to me on long hauls and 8 hours qualifies. Go to AA's web site to see if the seating looks comparable to other international airlines for the additional cost.

We did pay extra for premium economy last summer to JAX to LHR,( layover ATL.) In our opinion it was NOT worth it. If the seats actually reclined a bit more than they had, then maybe .......I barely noticed a difference though. DH is 6'3 he did think the extra leg room was a little better.....but, he said not worth it. He told me he won't be joining us again on an overnight flight unless we can afford first for the overnight leg :( I hope you enjoy your trip either way!

If it fits in your budget do it. Even if you don’t sleep for the 8 hours a little more space can make a difference both physically and psychologically. But do know Airlines sometimes change aircraft and as long as your class of service (premium economy) is still available there is no compensation- so you could end up on a plane that isn’t a Dreamliner for the same price.

I arrived home last night for a two week trip to Italy where we flew direct Atlanta to Rome and back in regular economy. We booked this trip fairly last minute for overseas travel and the price and seat availability were not good. However, we really wanted to go at this time, so we sucked it up and dealt with it.

Neither my husband nor I are tall - both 5'5' or so and we are not at all over weight. That being said as we get older, and the seats have continually gotten narrower, it is uncomfortable for us to fly in regular economy. Now, I agree with other posters in that the difference is not HUGE, however, it is enough difference that we can move around a bit in our seats and sit in slightly different positions. In addition, when the person in front of you leans back you are not sitting with your tray table shoved into your chest. After getting off that 10.5 hour flight at 9pm last night, I have got to tell you I had a neck ache and when I finally got to bed, I woke up at 2am with the worst cramp in my calf that I have ever had. I blame it on the seating experience and being contorted like a pretzel.

If I read the post correctly, there are 3 of you at $400 each so that is $1200? I would really say it depends on your size.

Oh, and in general, there are not many additional perks on overseas flights when you fly comfort plus (premium economy) at least on Delta. Yes, you get to board a bit sooner - but the benefit of that is to guarantee overhead storage space, which I have never really had an issue with on more that 35 round trip flights to Europe. Wide bodies have very generous over head storage. Plus everyone gets meals and plenty of snacks and water on overseas flight and even in economy you get alcohol. So really, you are paying for the extra leg room.

We upgraded our Alaska Airlines seats to Premium class seats from Houston>Seattle>Kona and then of course, the return flight too for our trip just a few weeks ago.

My husband is tall (6'3') and thought that the money was very well spent. My daughter and I are petite and don't need that extra leg room, but enjoyed having more space in general (who wouldn't)? Overall, I would definitely pay this money again for my husband's comfort. I think that it was about $1000 round trip to upgrade our seats. With Premium seats on Alaska you also receive unlimited "free" drinks (alcohol included) as a perk.

People always say that time is money and I agree - especially when you're on vacation. But I also believe that comfort is money. :groom:

Yes, do it. The premium economy is much nicer and you'll get the same food and drinks as business class. The recline is not the same as business, but it's a big step up from coach. If It's a financial stretch it may not be worth it to you, but if you have the funds I'd say go for it.

Yes, do it. The premium economy is much nicer and you'll get the same food and drinks as business class. The recline is not the same as business, but it's a big step up from coach. If It's a financial stretch it may not be worth it to you, but if you have the funds I'd say go for it.
Exactly which international carriers are serving their biz food to premium economy passengers?

As for this situation United Premium Plus is supposed to offer “elevated” food that puts it in between economy and business. It’s not the business class menu.

Can very much depend on the carrier. We flew from ADL to LAX premium on Virgin Aust and the seats were rock hard, service was fine but the flight was not comfortable. Following year flew the same class on Qantas to LAX and then onto JFK and it was awesome. Same seat pitch and recline but poles apart in regards to the comfort level of the seat. Felt so much better after the flight compared to previous trips in economy. For that price I’d do it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter