Those who live in Baltimore...

My Sister and I, 2 white haired 60 ish yo's were there for 2 & 1/2 days prior to a trip elsewhere. We went all over town on the light rail, hotel shuttle and Lyft.

We encountered the nicest and most helpful people everywhere we went. From some of the advice we received, we may have ventured into some questionable neighborhoods. No problems and I believe it's like most other big cities you just need to pay attention.

Lot's of great architecture and history there, we really enjoyed ourselves. I did notice lots of construction, renewal happening all over. I especially liked the brick row houses near Federal Hill, all the many old churches by Mt. Vernon and walking around Inner Harbor.

That said, I was only visiting. Oh, I did see one rather large dead rat.

I read somewhere, US news and world report, or something. Baltimore was one of the most violent cities in the world, right next to Juarez, Mexico.

Went to a baseball game there a couple of years ago and when we left the stadium, let's just say I told my husband I would never go again. We were harassed nonstop until our taxi came- I was actually frightened.

Went to a baseball game there a couple of years ago and when we left the stadium, let's just say I told my husband I would never go again. We were harassed nonstop until our taxi came- I was actually frightened.

I am assuming by the people that live on the streets?

The homeless population is very aggressive in Baltimore.

I know there was a restaurant a few years ago that hosted a free dinner for homeless people. It was a somewhat upscale restaurant, in an affluent area. Lo and behold, they "settled" after this outreach dinner. Sleeping on the streets, defecating on the sidewalks, endlessly harassing the residents of the area for money.

I have to find that story. Maybe someone here is familiar with it. I believe it was up by the Ritz Carlton Residences.

Yes. I do love Baltimore, but have to admit the homeless harrassment is like none other.

Yes. I do love Baltimore, but have to admit the homeless harrassment is like none other.

And the squeegee guys. My dad built and maintained xray rooms and equipment and Hopkins was one of the places he was at on a regular basis. Sometimes I would ride down there with him when he would get called down there at night to fix something and it never failed that he would get hit up by a squeegee guy at a red light a couple blocks from the hospital. That was more than 20 years ago but some things never change ...

Were you at the game in support of the opposing team, and if so, was it obvious (were you wearing the other teams merchandise, for example)? I'm sorry you were frightened but sporting events are often contentious environments and fans can really get carried away, regardless of the location.

And the squeegee guys. My dad built and maintained xray rooms and equipment and Hopkins was one of the places he was at on a regular basis. Sometimes I would ride down there with him when he would get called down there at night to fix something and it never failed that he would get hit up by a squeegee guy at a red light a couple blocks from the hospital. That was more than 20 years ago but some things never change ...

And they seems to have gotten a bit more aggressive since then (although they are trying, from what I understand, to tamp down on them). They call them "squeegee kids", although it's up for debate as to if they are really kids or not.
I only live about 90 minutes away from Baltimore - right across the Bay as the crow flies, but it's not anyplace we want to go if we can avoid it. But, it would be nice if that changed.

I've never seen a rat in Baltimore, nor have I encountered aggressive homeless people or "window washers". I have seen rats on the DC Metro tracks and experienced really aggressive homeless people in DC. These things aren't exclusive to Baltimore. As I said in my PP, you get these areas and problems in ALL major cities. Baltimore is not an anomaly. Like all major cities it depends on where you are. Practice safety in all areas, even if you feel it is a safe area.

I've never seen a rat in Baltimore, nor have I encountered aggressive homeless people or "window washers". I have seen rats on the DC Metro tracks and experienced really aggressive homeless people in DC. These things aren't exclusive to Baltimore. As I said in my PP, you get these areas and problems in ALL major cities. Baltimore is not an anomaly. Like all major cities it depends on where you are. Practice safety in all areas, even if you feel it is a safe area.
I used to work with the max security prison population & when I realized how many ppl were serial killers & serial rapists, as a woman, I am careful no matter how safe I think the area is. When I was in college, there was a serial killer preying on college co-Ed’s. We were all terrified. He was eventually caught, but it was eye-opening. I think that awareness helps living in an urban area. I am not paranoid, but I am ALWAYS paying attention.

I know I’m not supposed to like this idea b/c it also has its risks & consequences, but I admittedly agree. An example of the catch 22 here though is NOLA is a unique place b/c of the ppl like low income musicians & similar so if you push ppl like that out then the whole area is changed. But it is nice to see parts of the city revitalized thst has been off limits most of childhood b/c of crime.
It's worked wonders for our Downtown. It used to be a place to stay away from and now it's booming. And economically speaking it's really boosted the area. The multi-use arena is used all the time for a variety of things. The entertainment district with bars and restaurants also holds mini concerts and is used for sports watch parties all the time. There is still crime there but now there's a pocket that it's less likely to occur.

It's not just gentrification that has helped. It was really the initial idea to take this area that people stayed away from and change that attitude by installing a variety of things that will pull people in but now you've got lofts and apartments and condos, etc all of which the rent or purchasing price is sky high which has forced some people who want to live there to not be able to.

I agree with PPs like various places once you get into a big enough area be it a city or metro area you'll have places with higher crime and places with not so high crime. You'll have places with more specific types of crime too.

For instance on the other side of the state line from me gang violence is more common. On my side while there is some crime (a lot less than the other side of the state line though) it's more common for people's cars to be stolen or riffled through because they didn't lock them for instance not that their house is under a near constant threat of a drive-by.

I grew up in Baltimore City- a rowhouse in Southwest part. It wasn't good when I grew up there and is even worse now. However I'm from here, it is my hometown, and you just have to watch your back in ALOT of areas, I live in Baltimore county now, but work about 2 blocks from I grew up at. There are definitely some good/bad areas- you just have to do some research. I honestly think growing up in a hood type area made me a better person, I know how to watch my back haha
And on a side note, the rats in my hood growing up were bigger than cats and smaller dogs. They were HUGE, and weren't too scared of people. LOL

Is it really as scary as people make out? And maybe this is a better question to ask transplants, not necessarily people who have lived there their whole lives.

I’ve been applying to random jobs across the country and I got down a rabbit hole when applying somewhere in Baltimore. It looks like such a charming city, filled with history and stuff, but the crime. My gosh.

I didn't read any of the other replies first, because I wanted to respond with my untainted thoughts. (I moved to Maryland in 2001, and grew up in a different east coast city, just so you know my frame of reference.)

There are definitely parts of Baltimore that are dangerous. Just like any other big city. And there are also parts that are charming and wonderful. We live ~45 minutes outside of Baltimore, and frequently take our young kids to the Inner Harbor, to see shows, museums, JHU, etc. without any concern whatsoever.

If you are considering a job in Baltimore, realistically, you'll probably be looking for a suburb somewhere to live if you have kids. Depending on where in Baltimore the job is, and where your spouse works, and the age of the kids, I'm happy to give some suggestions of where to start looking.

I've lived in four states, and I LOVE Maryland. It's, by far, my favorite place that I've lived. I'm in my 40s, and for the first time since I was a little kid, feel like I'm "home" here.

And they seems to have gotten a bit more aggressive since then (although they are trying, from what I understand, to tamp down on them). They call them "squeegee kids", although it's up for debate as to if they are really kids or not.
I only live about 90 minutes away from Baltimore - right across the Bay as the crow flies, but it's not anyplace we want to go if we can avoid it. But, it would be nice if that changed.
I think this is what shocked me the most. I was on a page for residents of Baltimore and there were multiple postings of people being attacked or having their cars damaged by window washers. Someone had their whole back window shattered because they didn't want their windows washed. That's honestly ridiculous to me.

We're in Richmond, and went up to see a baseball game. The squeegee kids were on the blocks leading right into the stadium parking. They really were kids, older teens. They weren't menacing or scary, just panhandling. We stayed right downtown, I think it was the Hilton. Great game, and no one hassled us walking to the hotel.

I think this is what shocked me the most. I was on a page for residents of Baltimore and there were multiple postings of people being attacked or having their cars damaged by window washers. Someone had their whole back window shattered because they didn't want their windows washed. That's honestly ridiculous to me.
All these replies and this is the one you focus on?

We go to Baltimore frequently (to the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards areas mainly) and have never experienced the window washers. As many have said, like all major cities, some areas are rough and super dangerous. Just don't go to them. Problem solved.

All these replies and this is the one you focus on?

We go to Baltimore frequently (to the Inner Harbor and Camden Yards areas mainly) and have never experienced the window washers. As many have said, like all major cities, some areas are rough and super dangerous. Just don't go to them. Problem solved.
Yes, it's the one I focus on because most of the stories I've heard are about this issue, and in good areas too. So sorry?

And there's a big difference between visiting and actually living there. For example, people think Charleston, SC is so beautiful, if you're a visitor. But as a past resident, it's scary a lot of the time.

My point was that others that LIVE there have said the same thing as me. Yet you only focus on the most negative post. ALL major cities have the same issues. Don't live or frequent the "crime infested" areas.

Baltimore is not for you. Maybe a small town in the Midwest better suits you?

My point was that others that LIVE there have said the same thing as me. Yet you only focus on the most negative post. ALL major cities have the same issues. Don't live or frequent the "crime infested" areas.

Baltimore is not for you. Maybe a small town in the Midwest better suits you?
I have lived in large metropolises, medium cities, and small towns. I lived in Philadelphia, which has over twice the amount of people as Baltimore. The specific issue I responded to is not something I have ever experienced in any of the places I lived, which is why I responded to it.

I feel like I struck a nerve with you and I apologize for that if I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter