This year's budget buster...strep throat

Is the psoriasis people mentioned something that only comes out with strep?

mid February my 20month old son got a few spots. They looked like bug bites, his eating decreased but he was still happy and rotten. The next day I had to take my youngest to appointments at the Children's Hospital a few hours from here and didn't see Lucas at all that day...next day I woke up feeling like crap and when Lucas got up he looked HORRIBLE! I called the pediatrician, made an appointment and called DH who took leave to take Lucas so I could stay home with our youngest...

DH said the NP looked and had no clue. Got the new, young doctor who just joined the practice... He had no clue. So they called in our pediatrician who took one look and said strep and that the rash was a side effect. No test was done. DH brought him home and we took turns going to our PCPs local clinic for strep tests (both tested positive of course haha) ...

Anyway my throat is killing me again, saw my PCP for a completely unrelated issue this week and mentioned it and she told me it didnt look like strep, no test.

So this thread has me wondering if the rash my DS had was psoriasis and if I should have insisted she did a strep culture earlier this week. It's always so,ething!!

Is the psoriasis people mentioned something that only comes out with strep?

mid February my 20month old son got a few spots. They looked like bug bites, his eating decreased but he was still happy and rotten. The next day I had to take my youngest to appointments at the Children's Hospital a few hours from here and didn't see Lucas at all that day...next day I woke up feeling like crap and when Lucas got up he looked HORRIBLE! I called the pediatrician, made an appointment and called DH who took leave to take Lucas so I could stay home with our youngest...

DH said the NP looked and had no clue. Got the new, young doctor who just joined the practice... He had no clue. So they called in our pediatrician who took one look and said strep and that the rash was a side effect. No test was done. DH brought him home and we took turns going to our PCPs local clinic for strep tests (both tested positive of course haha) ...

Anyway my throat is killing me again, saw my PCP for a completely unrelated issue this week and mentioned it and she told me it didnt look like strep, no test.

So this thread has me wondering if the rash my DS had was psoriasis and if I should have insisted she did a strep culture earlier this week. It's always so,ething!!

Yes, it is a strain called gutatte psorasis, at least with my daughter. It starts on the belly and spreads from there. It red bumby and feels like sand paper. It is pia to get rid of...This year DD had on her belly, chest, back, and face. Our Np had no idea either, nor did the doctor. That is how we ended up with a dermatologist. It took the dermotologist about 2 seconds to figure it out. The cream he recommend it was waaay expensive, but saw a difference after the first treatment. Last year we did not get a throat culture and it went undetected. Doctor said it was a fever rash and keep it moisturized. This year it was out of control.

There is also another test for strep called isos. In case you are not aware that it can be tested in another way than a throat culture. That is the test we do now bc of the incidents we have had with the rash and we figured out she is a carrier, it is the only test I am aware of the detects if her strep bacteria is active and in a contagious stage.

BTW, he is a cutey!

After several bouts of strep, our ped said we needed to get dog on antibiotics. Our vet insisted that doggie strep cannot carry over to humans. So who knows who's right there. :confused3 DD ended up getting tonsils out and she has not had it since.

Also make sure you dispose of toothpaste tubes. If everyone is swabbing those infected toothbrushes over the toothpaste, it is living in the cap and the tube, so just getting new toothbrushes won't do it

My daughter had strep over and over until they finally removed her tonsils but her Dr AND the Vet both said to make sure I get the dog checked-unfortunatly he was not the cause.
When my daughter would get strep it would come with a fever of 104-105 so we always knew when she had it! Finally when she was 5 she missed 36 days of school due to strep and they took them out. As a last resort she went on antibiotics for 21 days-she came off them and 2 days later tested positive again so that was it. Our pharmacy has the free antibiotic program so unless its a different kind those are usually free and I have pretty good insurance so then it only cost me 10.00 to go to any Dr- now its 20 though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter