This is just so sad,,and makes me ask WHY would someone do this?? I don't call it 'playing'??

I'm not defending them. AT ALL. But I think it's pretty awful to imply that they did it on purpose for a potential payout. I just think blaming anyone other than Grandpa is their motivation. And since we have absolutely nothing else to suggest they were looking for a payout, I give them the grace of assuming it wasn't planned.
And crazy, absolutely nutty to believe this was on purp, but I know some folks just love bizarre conspiracy theories (which has really hit the fan over the past few years, that is for sure). I mean, we all know Brian Laundrie was hiding under his parents’ house, or maybe he flew overseas…

The family didn’t conspire to kill this child. You can question their motive on the lawsuit, but I don’t understand how anyone can look at this event and think the parents and the grandparent acted together to kill.

The parents are lawyers. They work in an environment where people settle accidents and deaths and disputes using the legal system. They might still be in denial. Who knows, but they didn’t have a hand in the death.

*I think I’m misremembering the parents occupations. Maybe they are police officers?

Last edited:
The family didn’t conspire to kill this child. You can question their motive on the lawsuit, but I don’t understand how anyone can look at this event and think the parents and the grandparent acted together to kill.

The parents are lawyers. They work in an environment where people settle accidents and deaths and disputes using the legal system. They might still be in denial. Who knows, but they didn’t have a hand in the death.

*I think I’m misremembering the parents occupations. Maybe they are police officers?
I'm thinking the mom was a lawyer and dad was maybe in law enforcement?

I find it odd to think this was planned (in the absence of even a tiny bit of evidence). I suppose it's a way of assuming "it could never happen to me". Because I can't think of another reason for someone to think that.

I always found it strange that they always called it a kids play area which makes me think of it as a kids club where kids can be dropped off and watched--but this was a pool deck sure it had a kids splash area
also the fact that the parents/lawyer said that there should be more protection around
well what do you call a railing it means to keep to off and do not go around

I could never figure out why they let her bang on the glass at the brothers hockey games--that doesnt seem very safe either
also the tape shows the grandfather sticking way out of the open window and yet he claims he didnt know it was open
with the careers the parents have Im sure theyve heard every excuse in the book and gotten the book thrown at the person yet its all together different when it hits home
when our kids were young there were bridges over water and I had a horrible feeling carrying over to the other side of the bridge--they were old enough to walk maybe about 3 or 4ish but I held them so tight and I was on the sidewalk near the curb I always had this terrible feeling about them getting out of my hold
lots of questions well never know

when our kids were young there were bridges over water and I had a horrible feeling carrying over to the other side of the bridge--they were old enough to walk maybe about 3 or 4ish but I held them so tight and I was on the sidewalk near the curb I always had this terrible feeling about them getting out of my hold

i was super paranoid about this kind of stuff (lots of stuff) when my kids were little as well but it was absolutly in overdrive when they were that age (granted, i had the toddler who on one of the first cruises of the disney wonder pulled a stunt that tipped maintenance off to a poor design aspect we noticed they tweaked before we returned a couple years later).

i was super paranoid about this kind of stuff (lots of stuff) when my kids were little as well but it was absolutly in overdrive when they were that age (granted, i had the toddler who on one of the first cruises of the disney wonder pulled a stunt that tipped maintenance off to a poor design aspect we noticed they tweaked before we returned a couple years later).
Our mall has glass railings and I was always freaking out when my kids got too close and you could see the next level down.

I think you're assuming the family has seen the video. I don't think so. I mean, would you watch a video KNOWING that, at the end, you're going to see your toddler fall 150(?) feet?
Personally, I would have to watch the video. My husband is way more sensitive than I am and I'm fairly certain he would also feel the need to watch the video.

At the very least, I would expect anyone to have some trusted friend or family member watch the video and tell them exactly what happened. It was not a graphic or violent video (at least the surveillance footage from inside the cruise ship), so I would need to see exactly how he picked her up, how she was on the railing, whether he let go or whether she forcefully wriggled out of his arms, etc. I do think it was an accident, but as a mother I would need to see with my own eyes exactly how careless or stupid he was to see if it was really a mistake that "could happen to anyone" or if it was completely his fault. That would likely determine my relationship and interactions with him moving forward.

Now it's about whether the cruise line is/was fundamentally negligent in having opening windows through which they should/could reasonably expect people to be falling/dropping babies out of. :sad2:
I have never been on a cruise ship, but every photo and depiction I have seen throughout my life shows big open expanses of railing that anyone could climb on and potentially fall over. Is that how they are designed? If it's acceptable to have open railings/balconies/etc, then why would open windows be any more negligent on the cruise line's part? I think that's a known danger that you are acknowledging when you choose to board a cruise ship.

Our mall has glass railings and I was always freaking out when my kids got too close and you could see the next level down.
My mother has some mental health issues and is also very afraid of heights so this has also become a big fear to me through many years of conditioning as a child (we couldn't even walk on the side where a railing was). I think most people don't notice because they're not as acutely aware of railings/ledges/etc, but I cannot even begin to count the number of times that I have seen someone plop a baby up on a ledge at a mall, at the zoo, on a boat, at Disney, etc. or let their kids lean/bang on glass where there is a massive drop on the other side.

Every single time I see it, I panic and feel like I'm going to vomit. It was the exact same reaction that I had to the video of this incident. Because every time, in my mind, I envision the same outcome. I knew my mom was a bit over-the-top, but I would have assumed that this was a natural survival instinct that all humans would have to a lesser degree. But, the frequency that I see this type of behavior makes me think that some people must not.

I have never been on a cruise ship, but every photo and depiction I have seen throughout my life shows big open expanses of railing that anyone could climb on and potentially fall over. Is that how they are designed? If it's acceptable to have open railings/balconies/etc, then why would open windows be any more negligent on the cruise line's part? I think that's a known danger that you are acknowledging when you choose to board a cruise ship.
the railings are not there to climb on. They are there to maintain a distance between your body and the open air. Assuming one is not climbing on the railing, or as in the case, being held above it. you would have to be unhumanly tall to "fall" over one of those railings and out of the ship. Which is why most people who have cruised immediately know any headline of "passenger falls off cruise ship" is not accurate.

Since this.... I have cruised on the Adventure of the Seas..different ship similiar layout. There is really no way this was Royal's fault.

There is quite a gap between the railing and the opening of the window, had he just sat her on the railing she would have likely hit her face on the window sill as she fell to the floor by grandpa's feet. He held her OVER that railing and out the window. In addition even when at port, you can feel a strong breeze 11 floors up in that mostly protected are when a window is open.

Accept what you did and move on.

the railings are not there to climb on. They are there to maintain a distance between your body and the open air. Assuming one is not climbing on the railing, or as in the case, being held above it. you would have to be unhumanly tall to "fall" over one of those railings and out of the ship. Which is why most people who have cruised immediately know any headline of "passenger falls off cruise ship" is not accurate.
Yes, I understand that. My point was, if there are railings all over the ship open to the air that are considered perfectly safe (when used correctly), then how could the family/lawyer argue that an open window with a similar railing in front of it is negligent of the cruise line? If Grandpa knew (I would hope) that it was dangerous for a baby to sit on a railing on a main deck over the water, then he should have known that it was just as dangerous to sit a baby on a railing anywhere on the ship.

Yes, I understand that. My point was, if there are railings all over the ship open to the air that are considered perfectly safe (when used correctly), then how could the family/lawyer argue that an open window with a similar railing in front of it is negligent of the cruise line? If Grandpa knew (I would hope) that it was dangerous for a baby to sit on a railing on a main deck over the water, then he should have known that it was just as dangerous to sit a baby on a railing anywhere on the ship.
Their argument (and I don't buy it) is/was that Grandfather thought the railing was in front of a CLOSED window. Of course, when the video showed he leaned OUT Of the window before picking up Chloe, that pretty much turned away what little support he had (except for the family & lawyer).

0293090C-29BB-4B01-B381-72EAA8B860E0.jpeg
This is that deck and the window area etc on Adventure of the Seas. There’s quite a gap between the railing and the window. That window is closed but he didn’t even sit her on the railing, she was dangled over the window. And when the window is open there’s a strong breeze. Can’t miss it 🤣. Grandpa is an idiot that lost his grip and a very tragic accident occurred, because of his negligence. Just sad. Move forward stop looking back to place blame.

Their argument (and I don't buy it) is/was that Grandfather thought the railing was in front of a CLOSED window. Of course, when the video showed he leaned OUT Of the window before picking up Chloe, that pretty much turned away what little support he had (except for the family & lawyer).
Yes, I remember watching it a while back. He definitely leaned out the window to look around/down. Then hoisted the kid up so she could do the same. They were both hanging out the window for a while before she fell so he absolutely knew it was open. I got the impression when watching it that he would have done the same thing if it had been a railing out on the open deck too, because he did it so casually like it was no big deal. I have seen my mom call many people out for doing the same-- "What the *heck* are you doing? That's so dangerous!" And, the people always respond, "It's fine. I have a hold of him/her. You're over-reacting."

Something wrong with that man to think that that was ever ok.

I dont feel sorry for him I feel sorry for the rest of their family.
It's very hard for me to feel sympathy or even pity. I can imagine some of the men doing it in our family...specifically to scare and anger the more safety conscious ones in the family. And then when we get angry and terrified, we'd be mocked and told to relax. And they would twist it to make themselves the victims: "You don't trust us?" "You don't think I'm strong enough to hold a baby?"

It's very hard for me to feel sympathy or even pity. I can imagine some of the men doing it in our family...specifically to scare and anger the more safety conscious ones in the family. And then when we get angry and terrified, we'd be mocked and told to relax. And they would twist it to make themselves the victims: "You don't trust us?" "You don't think I'm strong enough to hold a baby?"

i tell you what-i'll put an infant up against any 'strong man' in the world. my son at less than a year and a half of age (small squirt-weight 5# 3oz at birth) had enough strength in his neck and back to throw his head back and not once but TWICE break my nose (2 separate occasions a few months apart).

I hope the lawsuit is thrown out again. The child did not "fall." She was held out the window by the grandfather. They make it sound like the child climbed up on her own and then fell. That is not what the video showed.

So for this upcoming round, tt's really going to depend on the jury makeup then to see who wins, since a lawsuit only requires burden of proof.

But with that said, it's almost certain that Royal will appeal the verdict should they lose, whereas if the family loses, I don't know that they'll have the appetite for another go at this.

As an aside, I'm surprised that everyone's (least) favourite cruise ship chasing lawyer hasn't made a pro-family post about this yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter