The Way Old Friends Do..Happy New Year to everyone here on the dis ....*new post, page 4, #69*

Awww Dan, you made me get all teary eyed too. Things change, people move on, some never leave our lives, the friendship is too strong, some never leave our hearts.

Happy New Year Dan! I hope you and yours have the best year ever. :hug:

Happy New Year everyone!

Happy New Year, Dan! I hope you and Marie have a very happy and healthy New Year that you can look back on and smile. :wizard:

:cool1: What a nice New years thread, Dan! And nobody loves the people of the DIS more than you!
Yep, we've all said and done things that we wish we could take back OR we should want to even if we don't! :rotfl:

I'm for new beginnings and second chances mostly because people that like me enough to love me are good enough to give me another shot. And thank God I have forgiveness and He allows me more than a mistake or two!

Anyway, I like the post,the song and the things you said. You KNOW I am always wanting to see old friends and foes come back here and play again! I have a list, wanta see it? :rotfl2:

Happy New Year to you and Marie and your family. I wish you good health and happiness and safety (esp. Vince!!!!).

And thank you, Dan, for always being my friend even when I struggle with it all. You know that I love you!

You are so right Dan. There have been a few times where I have typed in a response but hit the delete button before I hit the submit button. I remind myself that this is where I come to talk about my favorite place on earth. Got enough of that other stuff in my "real" life. Anyway, my family and I are healthy. I do not dare ask for anything more. Happy New Year Dan and everyone here at the Dis.

:earsboy: :earsgirl: Happy New Year Dan. :earsgirl: :earsboy:

What a lovely post. I have fond memories of all the good times shared with friends I've met here on The DIS. :) You are always so good at capturing a common 'feel good' tone and sharing it here. Thank you. :love2:

Wishing all of my friends who come and go and come back again a wonderful year filled with many awesome moments/memories. :grouphug:

I originally posted this back 13 years ago, New Year's Eve of 2005. Since then, I have dragged out the words I posted here to make up a new thread, revised them a bit, adding whatever updates and a few thoughts from the current year. I thought this year I'd do something different (still adding a few updates) and add a reply to this old thread (making it a zombie thread I guess, :laughing:), thinking that maybe some of the long lost posters from this old thread might get an email notice of a new post on it and stop by and say hello, along with anybody else here that might like to say hello.

(for those who have read this in past years, much is a repeat)

Over the past year, much has happened, both for us, and for others here.

Here on the dis, there have been parents, children, family members and friends some of us have lost over this past year. :hug:'s For those dealing with aches, pains and more serious ailments, our prayers are with you for improvement over the coming year. And we certainly continue to miss the many who are no longer here on the dis, for many and various reasons. :( That sadness is tempered a bit as we welcomed new dis babies along the way, new dis brides and grooms, new dis members to this little loony, often dysfunctional place on the Net. This place has many shortcomings, for sure, but still remains dear to me (sometimes I question that, :laughing:), and to many others, for various reasons. One of the big reasons (maybe the biggest) for me is the friendships I have made here over the past almost 20 years I've been here, having started my 'dis days' back in March of '99. However I do miss many though, some immensely. Of the many, many who are no longer here, I do still keep in contact with a number of these great people.

On the personal front, we are still holding at 5 grandkids. Marie still loves getting Vince and Katlyn's Delaney all the girlie stuff. She and her bothers, Keegan and Griffin, along with their two cousins, Natalie's Jeremy and Christopher, bring much joy and many smiles to both Marie and me. :cloud9:

Marie is a month short of the 21 year mark in remission from stage III breast cancer back in 1998. :cool1:Our family trip to Disney World in '99 to celebrate Marie's return to health is what actually led me to this place, researching and planning our then upcoming trip. We both are another year older than we were last year, which we both will gladly settle for at our ages. :hippie:

As the year runs short of hours here, I would like to wish everyone here, and elsewhere, a very Happy, Healthy, Blessed and Good New Year. :hourglass

Many of us became friends over the years here, having met in this crazy world we call.....online; and have become cyber friends, buddies, online friends. And, many of us have, over time, actually met up in real life and became real-life friends, and sometimes, very good real-life friends. It is a nice community, in spite of many of its shortcomings. And Lord knows it has many.

Sure, there are arguments, name-calling, disagreements, what-have-you, but generally, in the end, friends. Hopefully, all can be friends in 2019, making for an even better community. Pixie dust maybe, but hey, who knows? It would be great to see many who no longer can be here to again share here. :grouphug:

I hear this song every year at this time, thought it had some good things to say, some true things. Yeah, it's by that sort of ancient cheesy group, ABBA :rockband:(I really do like some of their music and sound), but still, give a listen, read the lyrics, I found they can ring true......................

The Way Old Friends Do
(click for sound)

You and I can share the silence
Finding comfort together
The way old friends do
And after fights and words of violence
We make up with each other
The way old friends do
Times of joy and times of sorrow
We will always see it through
Oh I don't care what comes tomorrow
We can face it together
The way old friends do

Finding comfort together
The way old friends do
The way old friends do
We can face it together
The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do
--Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus

………..I like to think good things, good things that have been, good things that could be. :grouphug:

Anyway, enough of all that.............

Happy New Year, guys.

These thoughts still ring true.

Dan :wave:

PS: It is so nice to see those who have returned over this past 2018 year too, would love to see others in 2019. :wave2: I have that now almost thirteen year old 'Oldtimers' thread I posted years back linked in my signature. It is always nice, real nice :cloud9:, to see folks who have been missing for months or years pop back to say hello. I smile when I see those people pop in for a hello, great memories. I wish others who can't pop in would be able to. Some I dearly miss, very, very much. :( :hug:

Again, a very Healthy, Happy and Good New Year wish to everyone.

I originally posted this back 13 years ago, New Year's Eve of 2005. Since then, I have dragged out the words I posted here to make up a new thread, revised them a bit, adding whatever updates and a few thoughts from the current year. I thought this year I'd do something different (still adding a few updates) and add a reply to this old thread (making it a zombie thread I guess, :laughing:), thinking that maybe some of the long lost posters from this old thread might get an email notice of a new post on it and stop by and say hello, along with anybody else here that might like to say hello.

(for those who have read this in past years, much is a repeat)

Over the past year, much has happened, both for us, and for others here.

Here on the dis, there have been parents, children, family members and friends some of us have lost over this past year. :hug:'s For those dealing with aches, pains and more serious ailments, our prayers are with you for improvement over the coming year. And we certainly continue to miss the many who are no longer here on the dis, for many and various reasons. :( That sadness is tempered a bit as we welcomed new dis babies along the way, new dis brides and grooms, new dis members to this little loony, often dysfunctional place on the Net. This place has many shortcomings, for sure, but still remains dear to me (sometimes I question that, :laughing:), and to many others, for various reasons. One of the big reasons (maybe the biggest) for me is the friendships I have made here over the past almost 20 years I've been here, having started my 'dis days' back in March of '99. However I do miss many though, some immensely. Of the many, many who are no longer here, I do still keep in contact with a number of these great people.

On the personal front, we are still holding at 5 grandkids. Marie still loves getting Vince and Katlyn's Delaney all the girlie stuff. She and her bothers, Keegan and Griffin, along with their two cousins, Natalie's Jeremy and Christopher, bring much joy and many smiles to both Marie and me. :cloud9:

Marie is a month short of the 21 year mark in remission from stage III breast cancer back in 1998. :cool1:Our family trip to Disney World in '99 to celebrate Marie's return to health is what actually led me to this place, researching and planning our then upcoming trip. We both are another year older than we were last year, which we both will gladly settle for at our ages. :hippie:

As the year runs short of hours here, I would like to wish everyone here, and elsewhere, a very Happy, Healthy, Blessed and Good New Year. :hourglass

Many of us became friends over the years here, having met in this crazy world we call.....online; and have become cyber friends, buddies, online friends. And, many of us have, over time, actually met up in real life and became real-life friends, and sometimes, very good real-life friends. It is a nice community, in spite of many of its shortcomings. And Lord knows it has many.

Sure, there are arguments, name-calling, disagreements, what-have-you, but generally, in the end, friends. Hopefully, all can be friends in 2019, making for an even better community. Pixie dust maybe, but hey, who knows? It would be great to see many who no longer can be here to again share here. :grouphug:

I hear this song every year at this time, thought it had some good things to say, some true things. Yeah, it's by that sort of ancient cheesy group, ABBA :rockband:(I really do like some of their music and sound), but still, give a listen, read the lyrics, I found they can ring true......................

The Way Old Friends Do
(click for sound)

Finding comfort together
The way old friends do
The way old friends do
We can face it together
The way old friends do

Finding comfort together
The way old friends do
The way old friends do
We can face it together
The way old friends do

We can face it together
The way old friends do
--Benny Andersson & Björn Ulvaeus

………..I like to think good things, good things that have been, good things that could be. :grouphug:

Anyway, enough of all that.............

Happy New Year, guys.

These thoughts still ring true.

Dan :wave:

PS: It is so nice to see those who have returned over this past 2018 year too, would love to see others in 2019. :wave2: I have that now almost thirteen year old 'Oldtimers' thread I posted years back linked in my signature. It is always nice, real nice :cloud9:, to see folks who have been missing for months or years pop back to say hello. I smile when I see those people pop in for a hello, great memories. I wish others who can't pop in would be able to. Some I dearly miss, very, very much. :( :hug:

Again, a very Healthy, Happy and Good New Year wish to everyone.
Happy an healthy new year Dan I look forward to another great year on the dis no matter what the subject. Many blessings for a happy new year to my dis friends

As usual Dan, you say it so perfectly. To me, your post will never be considered a Zombie post, but something you so kindly repost, add to , and share every year. It brought a tear to my eye, once again. I too miss some of the 'oldtimers' who no longer post, for whatever reason. . I miss the DIS'ers who are no longer with us in body, but are still here and there in spirit , in posts I come across now and then. I wish their families and friends peace and healing hearts in the new year.
I welcome the new members, and the new friends I have made on here, and I cherish a lot of the posts from years gone by. As it is to you, it's a place I come to laugh, sometimes cry, sometimes disagree , but mostly I come to it because everyone in the DIS family loves what Walt created all those years ago. It has brought a lot of people together, not just in planning their vacations, but in a lot of other aspects of life.
It's amazing that Marie has passed the 20 year mark, and is almost at the 21'st! Your children have given you beautiful grandchildren, which you share with us through your pictures. To me, you are the eloquent spokesman of the DIS Community board, and I thank you for what you have brought to it. To you, your family, and the rest of my DIS family, I wish a kind and gentle 2019, filled with love, peace and good health.
Lynn

What a blast from the past! This is great.

I wish everyone a wonderful 2019. 2018 was a mixed bag but I won't be sorry to see it go.

Howdy folks! Always pleased to see some of the Dis veterans around here. I don't go back to the very beginning but I'm not too far behind. It was late 2000 when I got my first home computer that would actually access the internet, so naturally the first thing I searched for was "Disney." Even then the Disboards were pretty high up on the food chain of the search engine results and I landed here. People come & go but it's comforting to see familiar names around the boards. When you're really devoted to a hobby or specific interest it can be difficult to find like-minded people in real life to compare notes with, but here we are largely devoted to The Mouse, but that also spins-off into just general chit-chat and getting to know people. I've met some local Disneyphiles through this site and we now get together once a month or so just to do in-person what we do on the boards.:)

Because Dan started the thread I will mention that during those early days (for me) back in 2000, he was one of the first people I recognized as a forum stalwart.
We've become acquainted over the years and we were even able to meet up some years ago. Dan is one of those guys who has generated enormous goodwill and a spirit of helpfulness, we're lucky to have him--and many others here who have shared life experiences for many years and still count the days until our next trip.:earsboy:

I did not see this thread, even though I was on the Dis in 2005. I primarily posted on Games, all DVC threads, Flower and Garden and Exchange boards ( those last two are for all practical purposes defunct) and yet, Dan, we did meet here and in real life!

Thank you for posting and then reposting!

Happy New Years to All!

Bobbi:)

Happy New Years to all!

I joined the DIS in 1999 when my sister and I decided that we would take her two children (and her husband) to Disney for a once in a lifetime trip. Earlier that year our Mom had been extremely ill - she spent Christmas Day in a medically induced coma but she recovered after two plus months in the hospital. That taught us that life can be short and you need to find time for family. So we decided to pool our pennies, share a room and spend the money to stay at a real Disney resort. The children were 9 and almost 3.

On the flight down, the nine year old confided to me that the thing she wanted most was for one of the parade characters to come, take her hand and dance her down the street. You know, like they did with the tiny, adorable little child in the promotional VCR tape we had received and watched repeatedly. My heart dropped because she was way older than that and tall for her age. But, we were sitting along the parade route in EPCOT, watching the Tapestry of Nations parade when a beautiful Butterfly danced over to her, took her hand and danced her down the street.

I have been a believer in the magic of Disney ever since.

And, by the way, that child has grown up, been to college, did the Disney college program the semester after she graduated and then never left Disney. My extended family have all been infected with the Disney magic bug and I have been on more than 20 Disney themed trips including Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruises. In its own unique way, each trip has been the "Trip of a Lifetime".

What a great story, Tiggerish. Thanks for sharing.

This really says a lot...

On the flight down, the nine year old confided to me that the thing she wanted most was for one of the parade characters to come, take her hand and dance her down the street. You know, like they did with the tiny, adorable little child in the promotional VCR tape we had received and watched repeatedly. My heart dropped because she was way older than that and tall for her age. But, we were sitting along the parade route in EPCOT, watching the Tapestry of Nations parade when a beautiful Butterfly danced over to her, took her hand and danced her down the street.

And, by the way, that child has grown up, been to college, did the Disney college program the semester after she graduated and then never left Disney. My extended family have all been infected with the Disney magic bug and I have been on more than 20 Disney themed trips including Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruises. In its own unique way, each trip has been the "Trip of a Lifetime"

And great seeing all who stopped by to say hello, or give it a read. Again, a very Happy, Healthy New Year for all.

Happy New Years to all!

I joined the DIS in 1999 when my sister and I decided that we would take her two children (and her husband) to Disney for a once in a lifetime trip. Earlier that year our Mom had been extremely ill - she spent Christmas Day in a medically induced coma but she recovered after two plus months in the hospital. That taught us that life can be short and you need to find time for family. So we decided to pool our pennies, share a room and spend the money to stay at a real Disney resort. The children were 9 and almost 3.

And, by the way, that child has grown up, been to college, did the Disney college program the semester after she graduated and then never left Disney. My extended family have all been infected with the Disney magic bug and I have been on more than 20 Disney themed trips including Disney World, Disneyland and Disney Cruises. In its own unique way, each trip has been the "Trip of a Lifetime".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter