The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I read in the VGF thread that people with handicap placards get free valet. Anyone know if this is true at VGC? I’m planning on paying as I always have, but was curious if I’ve been paying for a service that’s free for people with mobility issues since my son would qualify.

Yes! The self parking which is free (for DVC staying on points) is across the street so a bit of a walk. And there is no handicap parking in the front lot anymore. We have a handicap placard, so they will valet the car for the price of self parking. So, since self parking is free for DVC staying on points, the valet now becomes free for us. We do still tip well of course! We are checking in this PM and I assume this is what we will be doing again.

I have a question that may have been asked earlier, but 250 pages is a lot to sort through, so I'm going to ask...

I recently bought a small contract at VGC and I like to keep an accounting of what rack rates would have been for the same dates. But I know the DVC rooms are never really for sale to the general public b/c it's such a small resort that stays booked. So what would you consider a "similar" hotel room to be compared to a studio? Woods-Courtyard view maybe?

Thanks!
I also track would-be rack rates. Woods-Courtyard is probably the median VGC view but it's a real crapshoot considering the variety of views from VGC from the limited number of rooms, which go up to Theme Park views but also include partial TP views, Pool views, Standard, etc.

I typically choose the median-priced room. Recently that's changed a bit and now it's "Partial" view rooms (at least the dates I checked).

We stayed Grand Californian for the first time in summer in a 1 bed. Thoughts:
1 Lobby beautiful but freezing cold.
2. Pools average, due to difficulty in getting sunbed. They were not properly enforcing guests only. Large proportion turned over to Cabanas which doesn’t help (about a quarter).
3. Gym excellent.
4. DVC team here are brilliant, got a free goodie bag.
5. Rooms are v dark and whilst not Boulder Ridge bad, need that refurb soon.
6. Was disappointed with ‘view’ from our 1 bed unit, right in the bottom corner outside Grand Cali back entrance. No proper screening and security guards at gate looking straight at you. On a positive point we will never stop as close to a theme park entrance ever again- anywhere.
7. Craftsman’s Grill nice as is the live music.
8. Slowest, most inefficient front desk and queues to see front desk massive.
9. Very nicely kept public areas and the design touches and architecture and atmosphere very nice.

Overall we had a good time and really enjoyed it , but wasn’t the amazing hotel I hear about, we found many of the WDW hotels better.

Just got back from a stay, posting some room view pictures. These are from room 2514 (1-bedroom). Prior picture from same room in 2017 is here (not much difference).

This room faces the back of the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail and is pretty quiet. My room request was:
Quiet area, preferably facing Redwood Creek Challenge Trail - in order of preference: 5514, 4514, 3514, 2514, or 2522.

First picture is from the living room, second is from the bedroom looking out over the balcony.

VGC 2514 living room view 2022.jpg

VGC 2514 bedroom view 2022.jpg

Can you also return to your room via the stairwell near the corn dog castle entrance? Or are we better off using the GRR entrance?

Can you also return to your room via the stairwell near the corn dog castle entrance? Or are we better off using the GRR entrance?
We returned to our room using the Corn Dog Castle entrance by entering Grand Cali through the grilling area, which is to your left as you leave the Corn Dog Castle entrance area and return to GC.

Yes! The self parking which is free (for DVC staying on points) is across the street so a bit of a walk. And there is no handicap parking in the front lot anymore. We have a handicap placard, so they will valet the car for the price of self parking. So, since self parking is free for DVC staying on points, the valet now becomes free for us. We do still tip well of course! We are checking in this PM and I assume this is what we will be doing again.
Great to know! Never did this before and I always went to get the car to bring to the family. Do you notify the valet or front during checkin using handicap valet to avoid the charge?

Great to know! Never did this before and I always went to get the car to bring to the family. Do you notify the valet or front during checkin using handicap valet to avoid the charge?

i put up the placard when we pull up to the valet and then tell the front desk when I am checking in. I think they note the placard on the valet ticket too.

Is anyone else having issues modifying a VGC reservation? For my WDW and Aulani reservations I can still see the View or Modify Details link, but for VGC that link isn’t there and all I see is an error message:
“Sorry but Resort-specific planning information cannot be displayed at this time. For planning assistance, please view the Pre-Arrival Checklist

Is anyone else having issues modifying a VGC reservation? For my WDW and Aulani reservations I can still see the View or Modify Details link, but for VGC that link isn’t there and all I see is an error message:
“Sorry but Resort-specific planning information cannot be displayed at this time. For planning assistance, please view the Pre-Arrival Checklist
I am seeing the same error situation on my VGC bookings.

Same issue for me. This started yesterday morning. No issues modifying VGC prior to that. Not a fan of calling in for something so simple as changing dates but at least wait times have been bearable.

I emailed MS and here is their response about the issue:
“We appreciate your concern. The challenges you are facing with the reservations have been brought to the attention of our IT Partners. They are working on identifying the cause so that they can correct these challenges as quickly as possible. We do appreciate your continued patience as we hope to have this resolved soon.”

Yeah, looks like whatever new system they have over at VGC keeps breaking. They switched over the the new short confirmation numbers a few weeks ago and since then it's been spotty and now completely broken for the past 2 days.

We stayed Grand Californian for the first time in summer in a 1 bed. Thoughts:
1 Lobby beautiful but freezing cold.
2. Pools average, due to difficulty in getting sunbed. They were not properly enforcing guests only. Large proportion turned over to Cabanas which doesn’t help (about a quarter).
3. Gym excellent.
4. DVC team here are brilliant, got a free goodie bag.
5. Rooms are v dark and whilst not Boulder Ridge bad, need that refurb soon.
6. Was disappointed with ‘view’ from our 1 bed unit, right in the bottom corner outside Grand Cali back entrance. No proper screening and security guards at gate looking straight at you. On a positive point we will never stop as close to a theme park entrance ever again- anywhere.
7. Craftsman’s Grill nice as is the live music.
8. Slowest, most inefficient front desk and queues to see front desk massive.
9. Very nicely kept public areas and the design touches and architecture and atmosphere very nice.

Overall we had a good time and really enjoyed it , but wasn’t the amazing hotel I hear about, we found many of the WDW hotels better.
From your location description it sounds like you were on the hotel side, yes? Surprised on the dark comment. I thought the hotel side refurb was pretty light and bright.

I was having issues prior to the current error message, which I also see.
2 weeks ago, I tried to add names to my reservation and got the "working on it" error page (7 dwarves) -- tried every day for a week.
1 week ago, sent an message though the DVC site to add names and make a view request -- which was completed in 1 day.

No DVC side. Room was right outside the CA back entrance, literally 15 feet or so from it. Bottom corner of wing.
From your location description it sounds like you were on the hotel side, yes? Surprised on the dark comment. I thought the hotel side refurb was pretty light and bright.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter