The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Owners & Lovers Group - 2.0

I've been trying to call member services all afternoon and all I get is a busy signal. Does anyone know what the current cancellation policy is for VGC Points? Do points cancelled within 30 days still go into holding? Has there been any extension to 2019 points banked into 2020? I have a September use year if it matters.

Thanks,
Jay

I've been trying to call member services all afternoon and all I get is a busy signal. Does anyone know what the current cancellation policy is for VGC Points? Do points cancelled within 30 days still go into holding? Has there been any extension to 2019 points banked into 2020? I have a September use year if it matters.

Thanks,
Jay

the exceptions for the holding expire end of April, as I recall. But not specifically to VGC, its DVC in general. So far, no extensions of banked points for 2020 (double banked that is from 2019 to 2020 to 2021). International owners have been given an exception, but that’s it so far since they aren’t allowed into the country.

EDIT FOR DATE/clarity

Last edited:

Thanks,
Jay
From the DVC website -

Temporary Updates to Our Cancellation Policy
Some of the temporary adjustments made last year to certain Disney Vacation Club policies will end April 30, 2021. Previous policies will be reinstated on May 1, 2021. Please visit the Member website for details about policies related to reservation cancelations, the borrowing and holding of Points, exchange fees and more.

I was able to get ahold of member services after about a 50 minute hold, so they *are* answering, at least for me. (I had some special requests for our stay at the Grand coming in late May).

Since this is VGC specific, I’ll put it here...

Today’s email (emphasis mine):
Dear DVC Member,

We couldn’t be more excited to welcome you home to The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa in just a few short weeks! We’re contacting you today with important information to help you make the most of your upcoming stay with us.

You may have heard the great news that as part of our phased reopening plans, the hotel at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will open on April 29, with limited capacity. The Villas will open shortly thereafter on May 2 as previously shared. During your stay at The Villas, you’ll now be able to enjoy more of the things you've come to love, including access to our delightfully themed pool, close proximity to the shopping and dining at the Downtown Disney District, incredible guest service and much more. You can learn more about available amenities and recreational activities for The Villas on our Member website here.

Additionally, Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park are now scheduled to reopen on April 30. Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited to comply with governmental requirements and promote physical distancing, the Disneyland Resort will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that requires all guests to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date are required for guests ages 3 and up. Theme park reservations will be limited and subject to availability and, until further notice, only California residents may visit the parks in line with current state guidelines.

More details about this new reservation system will be available soon, and we invite you to continue to visit the Disneyland Resort website for the most current information.

From all of us at Disney Vacation Club, we can’t wait to see you real soon!

Sincerely,

Disney Vacation Club

Since this is VGC specific, I’ll put it here...

Today’s email (emphasis mine):
Dear DVC Member,

We couldn’t be more excited to welcome you home to The Villas at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa in just a few short weeks! We’re contacting you today with important information to help you make the most of your upcoming stay with us.

You may have heard the great news that as part of our phased reopening plans, the hotel at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa will open on April 29, with limited capacity. The Villas will open shortly thereafter on May 2 as previously shared. During your stay at The Villas, you’ll now be able to enjoy more of the things you've come to love, including access to our delightfully themed pool, close proximity to the shopping and dining at the Downtown Disney District, incredible guest service and much more. You can learn more about available amenities and recreational activities for The Villas on our Member website here.

Additionally, Disneyland Park and Disney California Adventure Park are now scheduled to reopen on April 30. Because theme park capacity will be significantly limited to comply with governmental requirements and promote physical distancing, the Disneyland Resort will manage attendance through a new theme park reservation system that requires all guests to obtain a reservation for park entry in advance. To enter a park, both a park reservation and valid admission for the same park on the same date are required for guests ages 3 and up. Theme park reservations will be limited and subject to availability and, until further notice, only California residents may visit the parks in line with current state guidelines.

More details about this new reservation system will be available soon, and we invite you to continue to visit the Disneyland Resort website for the most current information.

From all of us at Disney Vacation Club, we can’t wait to see you real soon!

Sincerely,

Disney Vacation Club
Thank you for sharing!

I'd kind of been hoping to get a stay in at the Villas before the Grand opened, just to see what it was like to have the DVC portion only available ... Oh well, guess that's something we won't see in my lifetime/contract. (It was unlikely anyways since my first reservation back is Memorial Day).

Does anyone else think it is weird that the hotel is opening before the VGC? It seems like the time share should open before the hotel as they have a duty toward owners. I suspect there would have been an uproar if this had happened at WDW, but with VGC being such a small property they probably figure they can get away with it?

Does anyone else think it is weird that the hotel is opening before the VGC? It seems like the time share should open before the hotel as they have a duty toward owners. I suspect there would have been an uproar if this had happened at WDW, but with VGC being such a small property they probably figure they can get away with it?
I'm guessing they wanted to time GCH opening with park opening, and because they had already set the VGC opening for two days later that they didn't want to reopen the reservations for those two nights.

My guess is it due to the DVC reservations they cancelled with the May 2 opening. If they changed DVC date back to match the hotel, it might not set well with those who had reservations for those days & were cancelled... I am one of those folks who had a late April reservation cancelled.

I'm guessing they wanted to time GCH opening with park opening, and because they had already set the VGC opening for two days later that they didn't want to reopen the reservations for those two nights.
My guess is it due to the DVC reservations they cancelled with the May 2 opening. If they changed DVC date back to match the hotel, it might not set well with those who had reservations for those days & were cancelled... I am one of those folks who had a late April reservation cancelled.
I can see how the cancelled reservations could have definitely been a problem. But I still think it's an issue. Maybe my memory is wrong, but didn't the DVC properties in Florida all open before the hotels because of the issue with a duty to owners. It seems to me that if nothing is preventing them from opening, they should actually be opening the timeshare property as soon as possible. But again, I suspect there aren't enough of us for them to worry about pushback.

I can see how the cancelled reservations could have definitely been a problem. But I still think it's an issue. Maybe my memory is wrong, but didn't the DVC properties in Florida all open before the hotels because of the issue with a duty to owners. It seems to me that if nothing is preventing them from opening, they should actually be opening the timeshare property as soon as possible. But again, I suspect there aren't enough of us for them to worry about pushback.
Yes, FL DVC did reopen most WDW resorts sometime in June with the parks reopening in July. I think one AKL side may have opened a bit later. Places like Poly, the DVC portion is open while the hotel portion is still closed. My next guess would be for WDW, the DVC, hotels, and parks openings were all announced at the same time, while here DVC reopening was announced before parks knew they could open.

Also, should add that while I had a late April reservation cancelled I was able to rebook in May after a cancellation opened up some dates I could use, before parks reopening was announced. So I would not be too bothered if they changed the DVC dates.

Also, should add that while I had a late April reservation cancelled I was able to rebook in May after a cancellation opened up some dates I could use, before parks reopening was announced. So I would not be too bothered if they changed the DVC dates.
Nice! We have Labor Day booked and a waitlist for earlier, but I got tired of cancelled reservations and worried about possible changes to banking rules so stopped pushing back my earlier reservations.

Anyone have any thoughts about when VGC owners with reservations (our are in June) will be allowed into the parks? So hard to know if we should plan on going in June or not . . . sigh . . . I can't see flying in from out of state if we can't access the parks at all.

I hope this restriction changes. I'd even be fine with them requiring out of state guests to have a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination. Honestly, I don't understand the logic. Someone from 6 hours away in Northern California who has not been vaccinated can visit, but someone who has been vaccinated and driving from Arizona 6 hours away can't. The out of state restriction doesn't make it any safer.

I hope this restriction changes. I'd even be fine with them requiring out of state guests to have a negative Covid test or proof of vaccination. Honestly, I don't understand the logic. Someone from 6 hours away in Northern California who has not been vaccinated can visit, but someone who has been vaccinated and driving from Arizona 6 hours away can't. The out of state restriction doesn't make it any safer.
I agree. We are fully vaccinated, our daughter will be in May. Our state, Washington, is in the covid 'pact' with California. California covid rates are way worse than ours!

Anyone have any thoughts about when VGC owners with reservations (our are in June) will be allowed into the parks? So hard to know if we should plan on going in June or not . . . sigh . . . I can't see flying in from out of state if we can't access the parks at all.
We're in the same boat. We have reservations for late June. We're going to drive from Utah, but I'm not real happy about driving all that way to sit in my room looking at everyone else being in the parks. I think I'll come anyway and turn it into a Los Angeles vacation if we can't get in DL.

I agree. We are fully vaccinated, our daughter will be in May. Our state, Washington, is in the covid 'pact' with California. California covid rates are way worse than ours!
We're in the same boat. We have reservations for late June. We're going to drive from Utah, but I'm not real happy about driving all that way to sit in my room looking at everyone else being in the parks. I think I'll come anyway and turn it into a Los Angeles vacation if we can't get in DL.

It’s really hard to say, as it’s up to our governor and the CA health dept. so It’s hard to even venture a guess. I’d never expected them to change/relax the requirements for opening the parks & that was done much sooner than I expected, so the out of state restrictions could change....my guess at this point would be maybe sometime in the summer but for June it feels now as if that might a little too soon to happen.

It won’t make the visit easier, but if you have to come in June to use points, there is a great 50th anniversary of the Disney Archives at the Bowers Museum which has been extended through the end of June. The museum is approx 7 miles south of Disneyland so very close. Timed entry tickets are required.

https://www.bowers.org/index.php/cu...ney-archives-50-years-of-preserving-the-magic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter