The Very First Dis Book Club Discussion Thread - The Pirate Latitudes

As this was Nikki's idea originally.....I'm going to ask that she be in charge of setting this up and keeping everyone on track.

I apologize in advance.....I want and plan to participate, but I can not guarantee that I will be able to devote enough time to it to keep it running as well as we all hope.

I think this is a truly awesome idea and I'm happy to be part of it.

I'm going to wait and see what Nikki's response to this post might be.

If she says yes....we're good to get started. If she's not interested.....we'll see if someone else might be.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin, I'd be happy to help out, but on just one condition. ;) I would love for you to participate when you can. You seemed so excited about this yesterday afternoon. I don't know if you're just busy with the ABD trip or other things that may have come down the pike, but I hope my suggestion didn't male this appear overwhelming. Or was it just my bubbly personality and good looks that scared you away? :rofl:

In all seriousness, this is a club for everyone and there's no pressure. If you can read a section by the set date, great. If not, that's fine too. Everyone should go at their own pace - no matter how fast or slow that may be. :) We will all congregate here to discuss whenever ready.

Today is such a good day to kick this off too. It's Read Across America Day which celebrates reading each year on Dr. Seuss' birthday. What better way to celebrate than with our DIS friends? :)

I'll pick up the book tonight after my Writing Club. I'll try to divide up then. In the meantime, can you all look into getting your copy at some point this week or weekend? For those that want to go ahead, feel free to dive right in. Just leave some pirate action for the rest of us. Lol

Arg! All copies are checked out at my library! I'm gonna put myself on the waiting list though.

I downloaded a sample to my Kindle last night. It seemed interesting starting out, so I'll get the whole thing later.

I downloaded it last night onto my Nook from the local library. I needed a head start because you won't be calling me Jorge anymore. It will be Snaily. :)

Kevin, I'd be happy to help out, but on just one condition. ;) I would love for you to participate when you can. You seemed so excited about this yesterday afternoon. I don't know if you're just busy with the ABD trip or other things that may have come down the pike, but I hope my suggestion didn't male this appear overwhelming. Or was it just my bubbly personality and good looks that scared you away? :rofl:

I am thrilled to participate and have every intention to do just that. This book is already loaded into my Kindle.

With the ABD trip coming up and all of the other stuff going on, I just know that it's going to work out better for everyone if someone else is the leader of this group.

I'm looking forward to being able to talk about the book I'm reading with others who are involved in the same book. John is tired of me reading to him just so that we can talk about it.:)

By the way.....it's podcast recording day!

What a happy coincidence! I finished Shadow Divers last week and started reading Pirate Latitudes before I saw this thread.

However, I put the book aside a couple of days ago to read the novelization of Disney's Alice in Wonderland film coming out this weekend. I'll have to pick up Pirates again.

Woohoo!! We are going to be the best group of pirates, I mean, uhh...readers!!

Loving it so far! Started "reading" on my mp3 this morning while out pruning in the orchard :music:. Within the first few minutes I had an "EEWWWWW! Yuck!" moment and by chapter 5 I've already got my favorite characters!

Not a book I would have picked up on my own but I'm really enjoying it!

I am ussually quiet around here but would like to join in. The other reader at work is on maternity leave and really miss being able to talk about my reading adventures.

While this book holds no interest for me, I love this overall idea of having a book-of-the-month and hope I can joing in in the future! :goodvibes

Hi All,

I just picked up the book at Barnes & Noble. It is currently 50% off thanks to their big sale going on.

UPDATE TO ADD:

Welcome to all of those who are going to participate! I'm so excited! :)

After looking at the book itself, I think the most logical way to tackle it is in its already pre-defined parts. Originally I was going to post each section with a flexible "deadline" to finish reading it, but I'd like to instead work with the first part and adjust timing from there. Everyone is a different type of reader so I don't want to go too quickly or too slowly.

For now, would it be alright for everyone to get the book and have Part I read by March 13th? This gives just a bit extra time for those who are having trouble getting the text right now.

Feel free to begin discussing Part I from here on. You do not have to be finished with it in order to post your thoughts and ideas. The best discussions come as you go along.

Happy reading!!! Arrghh!

Below are a few links to wet the whistles of those waiting to pick up the novel at your local library or bookstore.

Pirate Latitudes Book Trailer (UK Version) - Think Movie Trailer, But for Books
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/index.html

Pirate Latitudes Blurb & US Trailer
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books-piratelatitudes-us.html

Press Release Regarding Pirate Latitudes
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/mc-newbook.html

LA Times Book Review
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/26/entertainment/la-et-rutten26-2009nov26

Pirate Latitudes News Including Possible Film Version
http://www.michaelcrichton.net/books-piratelatitudes-news.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm finding the author, Michael Crichton, quite fascinating so far. I have never read any of his books and just realized that he wrote the original Jurassic Park. He also is known for the series ER and the film Disclosure.

According to one article in the LA Times, Pirate Latitudes is one of his "lost" works. It was discovered shortly after his death in 2008 by an assistant and later published. Some critics question whether or not this was ethically appropriate. What do you think? If an author passes away and does not leave any formal request regarding a book's publication, is it okay for a colleague or relative to have it published?

[/B]According to one article in the LA Times, Pirate Latitudes is one of his "lost" works. It was discovered shortly after his death in 2008 by an assistant and later published. Some critics question whether or not this was ethically appropriate. What do you think? If an author passes away and does not leave any formal request regarding a book's publication, is it okay for a colleague or relative to have it published?

good question! I believe that if it were my work I would be ok with my close relative (but probably not a colleague) publishing it. My mom wrote poetry and after she passed I found poems on her computer that she never shared or published. For me it was a precious insight into my mom that I never had before.
I would like to believe that publishing these types of work would come from a love of the author and their work and not just financial reasons, but know that is not always the case.

In all seriousness, this is a club for everyone and there's no pressure. If you can read a section by the set date, great. If not, that's fine too. Everyone should go at their own pace - no matter how fast or slow that may be. :) We will all congregate here to discuss whenever ready.

Today is such a good day to kick this off too. It's Read Across America Day which celebrates reading each year on Dr. Seuss' birthday. What better way to celebrate than with our DIS friends? :)

I'll pick up the book tonight after my Writing Club. I'll try to divide up then. In the meantime, can you all look into getting your copy at some point this week or weekend? For those that want to go ahead, feel free to dive right in. Just leave some pirate action for the rest of us. Lol

Thanks so much for this great idea Nikki and for getting us going Kevin. I did start reading last night, it's good, but my lips are sealed until we start discussing. :)

Hi All,

I just picked up the book at Barnes & Noble. It is currently 50% off thanks to their big sale going on.

UPDATE TO ADD:

Welcome to all of those who are going to participate! I'm so excited! :)

After looking at the book itself, I think the most logical way to tackle it is in its already pre-defined parts. Originally I was going to post each section with a flexible "deadline" to finish reading it, but I'd like to instead work with the first part and adjust timing from there. Everyone is a different type of reader so I don't want to go too quickly or too slowly.

For now, would it be alright for everyone to get the book and have Part I read by March 13th? This gives just a bit extra time for those who are having trouble getting the text right now.

Feel free to begin discussing Part I from here on. You do not have to be finished with it in order to post your thoughts and ideas. The best discussions come as you go along.

Happy reading!!! Arrghh!

sounds good, thanks!

Im ready to roam Jamaica and the Caribbean with my fellow readers. I have read many Michael Chrichton books and was saddened by his passing but that whole "discovered" novel thing has become such a scam imo. Its like when the son takes over the franchise - ie Herbert (Dune) and Tolkien ..

I am not sure how I feel about publishing "lost" materials, after one's passing. It's a great gift to those that love his work, but a small part of me always wonders about a scam, or one taking advantage of the find.

I saw this thread during my lunch hour at work, and I was able to pick this book up at my local library after work. I haven't started it yet.

I am not sure how I feel about publishing "lost" materials, after one's passing. It's a great gift to those that love his work, but a small part of me always wonders about a scam, or one taking advantage of the find.

Yes, a part of me is wondering how do we know he really wrote it? :confused3 Especially since it is so different from his others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter