The Updated and All-Inclusive Costume Thread

The only thing I'd have to try out is if having 3 different layers on (shorts, petticoat, circle skirt) would be annoying for the half.
I wore a skirt, petticoat and leggings for the DL half, and it was totally comfortable. And I just bought a skater skirt on Amazon to decorate, so it was pretty low-effort.

In fact, it was so easy and comfortable, I’m doing the same outfit (in different colors) for all 4 Dopey races in JanuaryIMG_6776.jpeg

and then add lights in the hat so you can see Remy in there.

Lightweight option is a CR2032 button battery and a warm white LED attached. If you have soldering equipment, then something like this holder with on/off switch makes it easier:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/48...zRIvUyeG0ij_3m7CjsO9yi6M1t8B4erBoCdYAQAvD_BwE

If you don't want to buy solder equipment, I could always mail you one of these small circuits completed. One or two LEDs would probably be enough to light up the whole thing depending on the thickness of the hat.

You can also just tape a CR2032 to a LED, but no on/off switch then.

Lightweight option is a CR2032 button battery and a warm white LED attached. If you have soldering equipment, then something like this holder with on/off switch makes it easier:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/48...zRIvUyeG0ij_3m7CjsO9yi6M1t8B4erBoCdYAQAvD_BwE

If you don't want to buy solder equipment, I could always mail you one of these small circuits completed. One or two LEDs would probably be enough to light up the whole thing depending on the thickness of the hat.

You can also just tape a CR2032 to a LED, but no on/off switch then.
That looks perfect! Thanks for sharing it. I think we should have soldering stuff at home, but I'll let you know if not.

can anyone comment on layering htv for designs? working on some ideas for a top for the HM group costume for MW and found a cheap svg file on etsy with all of the "goodbye" flowers but I'm nervous of how 3 layers of htv would feel on a running shirt.

I don't have a sublimation printer, or this wouldn't even be a discussion. LOL

can anyone comment on layering htv for designs? working on some ideas for a top for the HM group costume for MW and found a cheap svg file on etsy with all of the "goodbye" flowers but I'm nervous of how 3 layers of htv would feel on a running shirt.

I don't have a sublimation printer, or this wouldn't even be a discussion. LOL
1718645473793.jpeg
The 95 is three layers of vinyl (black-white-yellow). One thing to be careful with is that it shrinks a bit when heated. This is particularly true on stretch fabrics. Do not make too tight of a piece of clothing and do make borders a bit ticker than what you want on the finished result. See how the vinyl pulls here:
1718646040692.png
ETA: The 95 layers are not superposed!

Last edited:
View attachment 869033
The 95 is three layers of vinyl (black-white-yellow). One thing to be careful with is that it shrinks a bit when heated. This is particularly true on stretch fabrics. Do not make too tight of a piece of clothing and do make borders a bit ticker than what you want on the finished result. See how the vinyl pulls here:
Yeah, i noticed that some on a cotton/poly shirt I did. The shrinkage was subtle, but there. I have a shirt from 3 years ago that a friend did the decal for me (I hadn't gotten my cricut yet) and we used siser sport vinyl and it's soooo thin and stretches nicely with the shirt, so I'm planning on using that again. Just wasn't sure if doing 3 layers made it too stiff (for lack of a better word) because of the layering.

Yeah, i noticed that some on a cotton/poly shirt I did. The shrinkage was subtle, but there. I have a shirt from 3 years ago that a friend did the decal for me (I hadn't gotten my cricut yet) and we used siser sport vinyl and it's soooo thin and stretches nicely with the shirt, so I'm planning on using that again. Just wasn't sure if doing 3 layers made it too stiff (for lack of a better word) because of the layering.
Correction: The layers are contiguous, not superposed. My comment on shrinkage is even more important: Each layer shrinks a bit so test before cutting the second one after pressing the first or there will be gaps.

Can you “erase” (not sure what the correct cricut word is) the 2 bottom layers, so you’re only doing the top colour?

Can you “erase” (not sure what the correct cricut word is) the 2 bottom layers, so you’re only doing the top colour?
do you mean "slice"? I'm not good with the lingo either. but trying to line up the layers perfectly for cut-outs sounds....dicey for me.

do you mean "slice"? I'm not good with the lingo either. but trying to line up the layers perfectly for cut-outs sounds....dicey for me.
Maybe? I get frustrated anytime I’m doing anymore than just cutting something simple of design space.

But, I also get that lining things up would be more difficult that way. Do you have an extra shirt you could do a trial on?

Maybe? I get frustrated anytime I’m doing anymore than just cutting something simple of design space.

But, I also get that lining things up would be more difficult that way. Do you have an extra shirt you could do a trial on?
i haven't even bought the file. I'm trying to decide if i want to deal with buying the shirt, dealing with the vinyl, or just buy something off etsy already made. part of it is that I usually enjoy doing the project, and the price will probably be a wash but I don't want to drive myself crazy if it's going to be annoying to wear that much vinyl.

I'm not creative and I'm looking for some ideas. I tested one of my Cinderella costumes yesterday, and it went great. My mom suggested I need to incorporate the mice somehow. I found a Suzy pin on Etsy that I've ordered, and I'm trying to figure out how to get Jacques and GusGus. Since this costume will probably be for the half, there's no way I can do Mickey ears for that long.

I'm not creative and I'm looking for some ideas. I tested one of my Cinderella costumes yesterday, and it went great. My mom suggested I need to incorporate the mice somehow. I found a Suzy pin on Etsy that I've ordered, and I'm trying to figure out how to get Jacques and GusGus. Since this costume will probably be for the half, there's no way I can do Mickey ears for that long.

You could add Jacques and GusGus as patches to your skirt. Or find small plushies and sew them to the shoulders or hem (or anywhere they won't bother you).

As for ears, don't give up entirely. I agree that the park ears tend to be uncomfortable for long periods, but I found a super light headband version on Etsy and wore them for the marathon a few years ago. They are super easy to make, too. Just find a lightweight headband you can tolerate and add felt or fabric ears by sewing, velcro or hot glue -- a little foam or heavy interfacing inside will help them stand up.

I just saw this picture on Facebook, and now I want to try to add clips to the Remy plushie to hold on to my son’s hair! Not sure if it’ll come through the hat though…

View attachment 870572

That is super cute! I am not sure you'll see that detail through the hat though. I would either do the lit up hat OR you could do this and have the hat pinned to the back of his collar, as if it had just fallen off and exposed Remi underneath.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest