The Running Thread -- 2022

I don't mess with heat! I get up at all hours to get runs in before it's hot. But most other weather I will run in. Massive winds and lightning storms being the other exceptions
For me, I always avoided running in rain. I have made somewhat peace with heat. Being in Arizona, its pretty easy to do. But with the threat of rain for Florida races I decided I would run in it to see. Of course since then, it hasn't rained at a time when I can run. (It's our monsoon season now but it tends to rain in afternoons when I'm at work). I also admire people who run below freezing.

For me, I always avoided running in rain. I have made somewhat peace with heat. Being in Arizona, its pretty easy to do. But with the threat of rain for Florida races I decided I would run in it to see. Of course since then, it hasn't rained at a time when I can run. (It's our monsoon season now but it tends to rain in afternoons when I'm at work). I also admire people who run below freezing.
I’d have to switch to 100% treadmill running 3-4 months out of the year if I wasn’t willing to run below freezing 😆😆

Orangetheory people (because I believe we have a few here): do you like to start on the rower or the treadmill?

I went to my first class today and they had me start on the rower. I kinda feel like I would prefer to start on the treadmill (I will try that if I go back) but I'm curious what other people like.

Orangetheory people (because I believe we have a few here): do you like to start on the rower or the treadmill?

I went to my first class today and they had me start on the rower. I kinda feel like I would prefer to start on the treadmill (I will try that if I go back) but I'm curious what other people like.
I always start on the treadmill, mainly because I like to have the extra distance from the warmup. Everyone used to ‘fight’ for treadmills first, but I think it has shifted to more people starting on the rowers in my classes. My classes are usually full, but if there are unused stations to start, they are usually the treads and maybe the weight floor.
The coaches once mentioned if you were wanting X results (I don’t remember what) to start on rowers or Y start on treads, maybe even a Z for weight floor… 🤷‍♀️

Hi all! Believe it or not, we're over halfway through the year which has me wondering...

QOTD: how's everyone doing in their 2022 goals? Any changes to your goals?

I've signed up for the 1000 mile challenge again
With 570 miles on the year to date, I'm making good progress. What's more shocking to me is the year over year change. Last year, I was only at 450 miles so well over 100 mile difference so far this year!
- I'd like to set a new HM PR (<1:50:49)
Nailed it! Ran a new pb back in April 🥳 1:48:03 🥳
- Reintroduce some cross training into my life.
By cross training, I meant strength training but I always feel weird calling it that because I have no intentions of getting swole 💪. I just want to avoid injury so I can keep running. I've been doing pretty good at this as of late. Took me a while to get started but I'm doing 2 30 minute strength sessions most weeks.
- Last but not least, train for the 2023 WDW Marathon.
Still to come. Right now I'm training for a 10K in September. Once that's done, I'll switch to marathon training in October.

ATTQOTD:

QOTD: I didn’t have a concrete goal for 2021, beyond getting into better health. I never thought that it would include running though! I definitely succeeded on getting healthier, going from 215 lbs on January 1 2021 to 178 lbs on January 1 2022, and getting 237 hours of dedicated, deliberate exercise in the year.

My goals for 2022 are: continue gaining health, keep up with my exercise goals, and enjoy all my planned runDisney weekends.

Gaining Health: I’ve lost another 5 lbs so far, so that’s progress

Exercise Goals: My average pace is down about a minute/mile, as is my fastest pace, and I’ve increased my running from 3 days/week to 4 days. I’ve done a little over 175 hours of dedicated exercise so far this year, about 83 of which is running time.

Enjoying runDisney: I had a blast at Princess and Springtime Surprise, and I’m excited for Wine & Dine.

ATTQOTD:

So onto my 2022 goals.

1) In October 2017, I wrote out 102 Goals that I wanted to achieve. In February 2022 at the Princess Weekend, I will hopefully cross off goal #4:

4. Run a 5k or longer with my daughter, Gigi

2) Run a healthy marathon.
3) 2021 was the first year in which I did not PR a single distance (mile to M). In 2022, my running confidence is near an all time high. So I aim to PR all five distances this year (officially or unofficially): mile, 5k, 10k, HM, and M.

I checked off Goal #1 with G at Princess Weekend and it exceeded all expectations.

Number 2 remains to be seen, but I'm putting myself in a good place come November.

Number 3 would be a tall order since I changed plans post-Princess to only run one more race this year (Madison M in Nov). So I doubt I'll PR all five distances, but I guess we'll see what happens.

I only have a couple of 2022 goals at this point:
  • Complete Blackbeard’s Revenge 100 miler on the NC outer banks at the end of March
  • Keep my running volume up and stay healthy
Interestingly, I seem to thrive on maintaining a higher base mileage. I’ve experienced fewer injuries and niggles since I’ve moved my base up from 25-30 mpw to the 35-40 mpw level. I’m currently on a streak of 23 consecutive months of >125 miles and would like to continue that.

ATTQOTD: Mixed results from my 2022 goals so far. I failed pretty spectacularly at my main goal, taking the first DNF of my running career at Blackbeard's Revenge. There were a number of factors both in and out of my control that combined to take me out of the race. On the plus side, I did set a new distance PR of 76 miles, 13 miles further than my previous longest.

Keeping my running volume up and staying healthy has been going much better, though. I've extended my streak of consecutive months >125 miles to 29 at this point and I'm on pace for a 1,950-2,000 mile year.

Ultimately, I'll take 2022 as a glass half full year at this point, and we'll see where it goes from here.

Last edited:
As for 2022 goals, I'm a little lost. After reaching that marathon goal, I am on a little bit of a downer. Hoping Marathon Weekend will perk me up a little. I'd like to get excited to set some half marathon goals, like a sub 2:10 or even (really stretching) a sub 2-hr. Maybe in the spring I will have had enough time off of training hard, to be ready to start again.
My 2022 goal *should* be to really, finally, get on a good core/strength training routine. We'll see what I can do.
ATTQOTD: Got my sub 2:10 HM in May, and that also wound up providing a PoT for a WDW Marathon, should I decide to return for that race at any point. I'm going for the stretch sub-2 hr in November. I have a friend pacing me and I don't want to disappoint him so I'm committed to training hard for it with a new DopeyBadger plan. In the end, I will probably have to rely on some tough-love end-of-race cajoling to get across that fast.

As for the "should" goal of a core/strength routine, I made an accountability pact with a friend to do some light, mostly bodyweight strength training YouTube videos, twice a week. Having an accountability partner is helping tremendously and I'm sticking to it so far.

Not sure I even bothered with 2022 goals after being injured since October 21 and recovering from MW. Yesterday I canceled my NY Marathon entry. No way to properly prepare after my metatarsal fracture. I am back to running......sorta. I am in a deep, deep funk. Kind of expected--I may have fractured one bone, but the rest of the foot is off due to times spent in a stabilizing shoe. It's amazing how interconnected all the muscles and tendons in a foot are. And I just have totally blobbed out--no excuses, really, but that's where I'm at.

Anyway, I am off on Tuesday (I really hope--with 3 cancellations, 2 flight class changes and one airline screw-up) to Italy. I hope to do a reset when I get back and maybe just pick a 5k or 10k to train for in Dec/Jan. I do best with structure.

1. Cut back on my weight. I creeped up with some pandemic pounds that I have yet to shed. I'd like to get down 8-10 pounds.
2. 1000 miles run in 2022. I ended 2021 with ~990 miles and this annoyed me more than I'd prefer to admit.
3. Be more positive overall about my running. I had a bad attitude at points last year and it led to suboptimal training and races. None of that helped me. I've been doing much better recently, but I know some times will always be harder than others.
4. Register for and begin training for my first marathon - and possibly run it. I haven't decided if my first will be WDW 2023 or something else, possibly Marine Corps in the fall or another one.

1. Yes! I'm down about 6 pounds since I wrote this and I feel pretty good. However, I can't mark this complete yet because the goal is to end the year down in weight, and I have 6 months to totally screw that up.
2. As of today I've run 694.8 miles over 119 hours 24 minutes in 2022, according to Strava. This one looks attainable if I stay healthy. I should hit 1000 miles in September or October.
3. So far so good!
4. On my way to it. Registered for Philadelphia in November. That's the easy part. The training plan begins in about 3 weeks.

Hi all! Believe it or not, we're over halfway through the year which has me wondering...

QOTD: how's everyone doing in their 2022 goals? Any changes to your goals?

ATTQOTD:

My 2021 goal was to be in shape to finish my first full marathon. How'd I do? Ask me Sunday night...

As for 2022 goals:

1. Focus on weigh loss and speed training for the first 4-6 months of the year.
1a -- drop from 205lb to <190lb (preferably <180)
1b -- improve my pace to <10 minutes/mile for 1-3 mile durations (currently about 10:15 for a single-mile pace but cannot sustain that pace for 3 miles)

2. In the second half of the year, train for the 2023 WDW Marathon with a target finish time of 5:00-5:30.

1a - I weighed in under 190 on July 1st. I pretty much took a 2-month break from diet/exercise plans when the baby was born in March, so I feel pretty good about hitting this goal. I'm still focused on weight loss, and conservatively hope to be ~170 by EOY/marathon weekend.

1b - I did a 9:15 mile, but haven't really attempted 5k race pace due to the abysmal heat this TX summer. Plus, I shifted focus more toward HIIT sprints, and eventually broke down and switched to 90% treadmill running. My cardio health has improved quite a bit, and it's entirely possible I could cross this goal off if it were a survivable temperature outside; I'll just say I'm laying the foundation for the future.

2 - I'm just starting to look at formal training plans, but I suspect that 5:00-5:30 may have been an aggressive goal. Still, I have a lot of time to build endurance and I'm starting from a much better foundation than I did in last year's training.

For 2022, I want to work running consistently into my regular routine. I tend to do nothing at all and have to start over with each new training cycle, and I'm tired of that frustration.

So far, so good! I've had lapses during crazy travel periods but nothing more than a week or two here and there. I wanted to avoid starting over when Dopey training started, and have managed to do that. Yay!

I ordered a treadmill (Peloton)! It will arrive in 3 weeks. I need to do some rearranging in my house to fit it, but I am excited. I wish I had ordered it last month— my favorite show (Big Brother) starts tmrw, and it is on 3 nights a week. I am hoping to walk while I watch once the tread arrives since my daily step count is lower than I’d prefer.
That’s so exciting! We’ve had ours since the beginning of the year, and I love it! I hope you also love yours!

Going to join in here for the first time!

My main goal for 2022 is to stick to a training plan. I enjoy working out, but find after a few weeks I get bored of whatever I’m doing and move on to something else. I want to spend 2022 focusing on running and training to run Dopey in 2023 injury free.
ATTQOTD: I had to take a break and come back to my training plan due to my knee. I’ve been good about following the running part of the plan since getting cleared to run, but not so much the cross training. I also need to go back to focusing on slowing my pace. Ever since my doctor cleared me to run at any speed, I’ve been running probably faster than I should.

Question on hydration packs - I live in the middle of nowhere with access to only one running store, so won’t have an opportunity to try multiple options.
Should I just buy the best of what they have available that feels comfortable to me, or should I order something online and risk it not fitting well? I tried a belt with bottles before, and hated it, so I’m hoping a pack will be better?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!