The Running Thread -- 2022

Also, how do I easily find what my goals were? Is there a search feature?

From this thread, I personally go to the search bar at the top of the desktop DIS version. Type in "goal", change from "everywhere" to "this thread", and then type in my user name into the "by" input. It'll give you all the results of you using the word "goal" in this thread.

ETA - This is the result of that search (link). Third choice down appears to be you stating your 2022 goals.

Did y’all know you are in the midst of greatness? I am now officially a local legend.

View attachment 684396

lol. But in all honesty, I surprisingly enjoy track workouts and speedwork. I can’t do the full workouts yet (I am slower compared to the group) but I am seeing improvements, particularly in how long I can run without walking— at a decent (to me) pace!

Great job! It's always nice to see improvements.

It might not be the easiest way, but if you click on your picture at the top of the page you can select "Your content". Go back through the messages until you get to the right date range and then look for the specific post. It's not an elegant method but it works.

ETA: See, @DopeyBadger had a much more elegant solution. Of course he did! 🤣

For those struggling with strength training, Fitness Blender is really what got me working out consistently. They have lots of different types of workouts, and they're much more chill than a lot of other fitness instructors. They've added a bunch of new trainers recently as well as a subscription, but I still mainly just do Kelli and Daniel's free workout videos. YMMV, but hopefully someone finds it helpful! (Not sponsored lol)

Sheesh, off the boards for a few weeks and you lose where you left off on a bunch of threads! :wave: Hope this finds everyone well!

2022 goals... did I have those?! IDK. I'm not sure what tomorrow might bring, so I'm doubtful lol! Registered for W&D and WDW Marathon, though, so I guess I'm training for those.

Thanks for helping me find my previous post!

ATTQOTD:

my first goal is to lose weight as I am sure my weight does not help me in any way (I’m 5’8” and about 225-230 lbs).
I am on track with this goal. I am consistently weighing about 220 lbs so far and have hired a nutrition coach (who is part of the runDisney community!). I wrote about my sugar addiction, and I am still soda free since March.
I might sign up for another Goofy or maybe Dopey for the anniversary.
I signed up for all 4 races for MW 2023.
I have a sprint triathlon at the end of July and an Olympic triathlon at the end of August. I will definitely need to improve my swimming for the Olympic distance and hope to improve my running so I can maintain intervals the whole time on tired legs.
I haven’t done these races yet, but I did do a sprint in June. I have been working on my swimming and running, as well as practicing brick workouts. I have been doing good at maintaining intervals in these which has always been a struggle before.

For those struggling with strength training, Fitness Blender is really what got me working out consistently. They have lots of different types of workouts, and they're much more chill than a lot of other fitness instructors. They've added a bunch of new trainers recently as well as a subscription, but I still mainly just do Kelli and Daniel's free workout videos. YMMV, but hopefully someone finds it helpful! (Not sponsored lol)

Yes!! When I was first getting started with exercise I was super into Fitness Blender. These days I'm more into classes but if I'm home and want to get a workout in, I'll often head there to see if I can find anything I'm in the mood for.

naps usually take priority
Naps are priority. Good on you for prioritiziy rest.

Did y’all know you are in the midst of greatness? I am now officially a local legend.

View attachment 684396

lol. But in all honesty, I surprisingly enjoy track workouts and speedwork. I can’t do the full workouts yet (I am slower compared to the group) but I am seeing improvements, particularly in how long I can run without walking— at a decent (to me) pace!

I recently met my neighbor because strava notified me that she stole my local legend title. Literally the creepiest technology that I use but I still can't seem to quit? Okay... Deleting it now.

COVID question - after two years and 3 vaccines I tested positive.
Those of you who have had a mild case of covid - did you continue to run?
Same for me at the beginning of June. I had no running on my plan on Friday. I was sleepy Saturday and Sunday and rested. I ran a recovery 5k on Tuesday. Skipped Wednesday. Recovery 5k on Thursday. Then 10k easy Saturday and Sunday. I resumed to following my training plan on the next Tuesday, respecting my body if it was telling me to take it easy. I would say, make sure that you rest enough to fight this virus properly.

I had OG covid back in early 2021. I had very few and mild symptoms and never stopped working out.

Same for me at the beginning of June. I had no running on my plan on Friday. I was sleepy Saturday and Sunday and rested. I ran a recovery 5k on Tuesday. Skipped Wednesday. Recovery 5k on Thursday. Then 10k easy Saturday and Sunday. I resumed to following my training plan on the next Tuesday, respecting my body if it was telling me to take it easy. I would say, make sure that you rest enough to fight this virus properly.
Thank you! I'm in the middle of marathon training (Chicago) so the timing isn't great! I might skip my planned long run this weekend but will see how I'm feeling. I tested positive Tuesday night - I woke up Tuesday not feeling great but went for my 10K run anyways, it was a total struggle and I felt sore all over after, I was like what is wrong with me??? Oh....:rolleyes1

I will try to find the source for you to read if you want but the quick version of current recommendations is no high intensity exercise until symptom free for 7 days. There is some research showing longer recovery times and a higher risk of long covid symptoms in people who do high intensity exercise before they are fully recovered. If you are afebrile and any symptoms are above the neck, low intensity exercise is fine, and even encouraged. If you have any chest congestion, joint aches, GI symptoms, you need to rest.
I can almost feel the incoming “I ran with mild covid and it was fine” messages. Studies are based on much larger data pools that the experience of a few individuals. It’s worthwhile to keep in mind that even if your infection is mild, long covid is still a possibility. You may Not get the more serious symptoms of long covid but the fatigue alone can be life altering. If taking it a bit easier for a few days reduces the risk of that, I personally feel it is worth it. You will have to gauge whether it is worth the risk for you.
I hope you continue to have mild symptoms and recover well!

I tested positive and had what felt like a slightly worse than mild cold during Marathon training. I started feeling it on Monday and was off until Friday. I did take a few miles off my weekend runs but by the following Monday I was back to the training plan.

I lost taste and smell for about 2 weeks which was a very strange experience.

I had what we now believe was COVID in Jan. 2020 (there was no public testing then, so we'll never know for sure, but it hit all criteria for COVID). It was "mild" in the sense that I wasn't hospitalized and it felt slightly less terrible than a bad case of influenza, but it hit my lungs pretty hard, and 2+ years later I'm still experiencing some Long COVID issues and what's likely permanent lung damage (to be fair, I'd also had pneumonia twice before plus mild asthma, so my lungs weren't in great shape to start.) I was down entirely for a week, and felt better enough to start some easy runs maybe 3 weeks out... but my doctor has pointed to some emerging research on athletes that may indicate a hasty return to exercise might raise the risk of Long COVID.

So my recommendation is rest and listen carefully to what your body wants!

As everyone says, you know your body so make sure you are not doing anything too intense. I did not have mild covid. Mine was worse than mild but not as bad as severe. I did not run for two weeks and honestly i probably should have stayed out for 4 weeks because of the fatigue. I will say those first two weeks back were tough and slow.

Hope you recover quick and can get back to training soon.

I had mild case in mid-May. After 4 days I felt much better and decided to go for a short run. After I finished, about 30 minutes later I felt like my lungs were on fire and it made my cough, which had been improving, much worse for next fews days. Because of that, I took that week basically off to not inflame them again.

So I would say, like always when talking about running while sick, it really depends a lot on what symptoms you are experiencing.

I took three weeks off from running after having C-19 in October 2021. My symptoms were similar to a mild case of the flu. I did do a long walk or two during that time but I had no desire to run so I didn't.

I tested positive in April and all I had was some dizziness and fatigue. If it was not for my extended family all testing positive I wouldn’t have bothered to test. I was helping to take care of my dying MIL in another state at the time and would have just considered myself being run down from all that stress. I did not run for a few days, but felt fine the next time I did. Like I said, I had next to zero symptoms (no fever, congestion, headaches, body aches or GI issues, etc.) so it was easy for me to return to running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter