• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Running Thread -- 2022

Anyone absolutely love their anti-chafing stuff? Body Glide and Gold Bond sticks have been a big fail for me. This heat and humidity leaves me soaked when I run, and wet clothes + skin + constant movement = BAD

Anyone absolutely love their anti-chafing stuff? Body Glide and Gold Bond sticks have been a big fail for me. This heat and humidity leaves me soaked when I run, and wet clothes + skin + constant movement = BAD
Gold bond powder. They have some that comes in a spray can. I’ve never really had chafing issues, but this year has been awful.

Betwixt. if it can last through a swim/bike/run, I’m sure it’ll survive just a run too.

Taking a nice vacation/little break from running that was meant to be a couple weeks with a few runs but looks more like no runs. Enjoying the Disney Wish on back to back cruises and was planning on a 5K race report but alas, it doesn’t exist anymore. I was going to run the second time around but when I went to sign up was told there is no more official Castaway Cay 5K but you are still welcome to run it with no bib or medal. I did see people on the first go round doing that but didn’t realize why until after. I guess I will try to run 3-4 miles but it’s not as easy to do without the excitement.

Taking a nice vacation/little break from running that was meant to be a couple weeks with a few runs but looks more like no runs. Enjoying the Disney Wish on back to back cruises and was planning on a 5K race report but alas, it doesn’t exist anymore. I was going to run the second time around but when I went to sign up was told there is no more official Castaway Cay 5K but you are still welcome to run it with no bib or medal. I did see people on the first go round doing that but didn’t realize why until after. I guess I will try to run 3-4 miles but it’s not as easy to do without the excitement.
I discovered that as well a couple week ago. I had heard that the 5k was self guided now but they still had medals. But when I asked in early August they didnt even have that though. :(. Lots of Castaway Cay 5k merch you could buy though.

UGH why does Disney keep taking things away that people love? Feels like a death of a thousand cuts lately.
Thanks everyone for your anti-chafe suggestions! This summer has been worse than usual for me - I had one of the most painful showers of my life yesterday after my LR, so I need to try something else!

I was recently on the Wish and was planning/hoping to run on Castaway Cay, but decided to stick to the treadmill to get it done earlier. I was able to run from 6-7 and then move along with my day vs. waiting to get off the ship at ~8:30, run, get back to the ship to change and then finally get out onto the island at 10 or 11.

If they had the 5K, it likely would have been enough enticement to follow the later timeline, though.

there is no more official Castaway Cay 5K

I've never been to Castaway Cay. Do you mean that you could do a 5k without having to go through Marathon Weekend signup? What's the difference between that and the Castaway Challenge on the runDisney website?

UGH why does Disney keep taking things away that people love? Feels like a death of a thousand cuts lately.
Thanks everyone for your anti-chafe suggestions! This summer has been worse than usual for me - I had one of the most painful showers of my life yesterday after my LR, so I need to try something else!

I use KTape when it gets really bad. But yeah I feel you. My husband has now gotten used to my yelps of pain when I shower.

I've never been to Castaway Cay. Do you mean that you could do a 5k without having to go through Marathon Weekend signup? What's the difference between that and the Castaway Challenge on the runDisney website?
In the past there was a 5k that you could sign up for on the ship and run on Castaway Cay. You did not have to do the challenge to sign up. It ran early in the morning and you got a rubber medal for running it. Post COVID, they dropped the official start time and just had you check in at the bicycle rental stand, run it and they would give you a medal.

Now, as of August-ish, they don't even do that. The 5k is still marked and they will explain the course to you if you want, but there is no medal for finishing.

In the past there was a 5k that you could sign up for on the ship and run on Castaway Cay. You did not have to do the challenge to sign up. It ran early in the morning and you got a rubber medal for running it. Post COVID, they dropped the official start time and just had you check in at the bicycle rental stand, run it and they would give you a medal.

Now, as of August-ish, they don't even do that. The 5k is still marked and they will explain the course to you if you want, but there is no medal for finishing.

And it was free!!! I'm bummed that it is gone.
20220816_100318.jpg

I find it hilarious that they are still trying to sell merch for it... maybe it's just left over inventory.

Back in 2009 when I did it you got a nice little magical moment certificate but no medal. Those medallions probably cost $0.10 to make, there is no reason they can't give them out. It is another small thing that ultimately costs the company about nothing that they take away. Add all the nice little resort runs to that.

2 Toms Sports Shield rollon. The ONLY thing I've found that holds up here in FL! Goes on and stays slick, not like Body Glide or Squirrel's Nut Butter. 2 Toms also offers it in little one-use individual wipes, which is super convenient for races... but they don't work as well as the rollon. Nice to carry with in case you need it mid-race, though.

And it was free!!! I'm bummed that it is gone.

I find it hilarious that they are still trying to sell merch for it... maybe it's just left over inventory.

Sounds like they've decided to phase it out entirely, and are just keeping it around until the current medal and merchandise supplies run out. If they had just temporarily run out of medals, it seems odd they wouldn't do the certificates as they have in the past when that happened. I'm going to guess that merch gets pulled soon and sent over to cast connections.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter