The Running Thread - 2021

Question from a new treadmill owner:
(1) do you find your shoes last longer?
I have observed the shoes showing signs of needing to be retired on outdoor runs are not resulting in the same shin issues on the more cushy surface
(2) do you find your gait to be different on the machine?
while my shins are fine, my hips are not. The post-treadmill aches are similar to what I have encountered when ramping up distance, which I am not. My average pace is similar to outdoor runs, the incline of my normal route is more severe (but alternating) than the TM incline, so the other thing I can think of is gait. My hope is if I can determine why I can fix it.

I don't do enough treadmill running to know if it makes your shoes last longer but logic would say it does. There is less friction running with the belt than on pavement so the tread should last a little longer. The impact is also less than pavement so the cushioning should last longer but how much I don't know.

I do feel like my hair changes on the treadmill. I'll have to wear my HRM-PRO next run and see how different the running dynamics look.

Question from a new treadmill owner:
(1) do you find your shoes last longer?
I have observed the shoes showing signs of needing to be retired on outdoor runs are not resulting in the same shin issues on the more cushy surface
(2) do you find your gait to be different on the machine?
while my shins are fine, my hips are not. The post-treadmill aches are similar to what I have encountered when ramping up distance, which I am not. My average pace is similar to outdoor runs, the incline of my normal route is more severe (but alternating) than the TM incline, so the other thing I can think of is gait. My hope is if I can determine why I can fix it.

Yes, my shoes lasted much longer when I was treadmill training. On the treadmill I would typically get about 400 miles to a pair before starting to either have issues or not liking the looks of the soles. Outside I am finding a pair last 250 miles, 300 if I am super lucky.

I did not experience a gait issue, but I am also a turtle (15 m/m) which may or may not have something to do with it.

My shoes seem to last longer on the treadmill.though to be honest I’ve never kept track of mileage on my shoes. Never thought of it before reading about doing it here. I’ll have to start with my next pair!

I’m sure my gait is different between the treadmill and road training. I’ve been working on my form is all I say. Sorry I’m not that useful.

That brings up a question, sometimes there are no good places at the resorts to run, what are some creative ways you get in the miles at Disney, or do you just say forget it, I’m on vacation?
I love running at WDW, even if it's just a few miles in the early morning. AKL is one of the worst though - I usually end up just going up and down the parking lot isles if there is no other option.

Yup, parking lot it is
This mornings run, but even weaving in an out and doing half mile loops in Disney is far better than my treadmill or snow

ETA plus I saw another runner and was able to wave and say hi! Between that and the occasional speed bump that I ran over I could almost imagine it was runDisney. It’s funny the little things that can make your day brighter

Last edited:
View attachment 557614
Yup, parking lot it is
This mornings run, but even weaving in an out and doing half mile loops in Disney is far better than my treadmill or snow

ETA plus I saw another runner and was able to wave and say hi! Between that and the occasional speed bump that I ran over I could almost imagine it was runDisney. It’s funny the little things that can make your day brighter

During the 2017 WDW non-half marathon, my husband did his in this parking lot!

ATTQOTD:

a) 4 miles. Feels substantial enough, but with my slower pace I can get it done and not worry about work, etc.
b) 10 miles. Something about hitting double digits, but isn't so long that I need to plan everything else that day accordingly.
c) HM

5-K is my least favorite too. I heard it described once as running so hard in the first mile you feel like you're on the verge of throwing up and then trying to maintain that for two more miles.

ATTQOTD:
a) 7 miles
b) 12-14 miles
c) 10 miles. Far enough where you can get into a pace, short enough where you can push it a good deal of the time.

Least favorite: mile. Even though it's over in a short time by the end it can be hurting plus there's no strategy I've been able to discover. Go out too fast and try to hold on. Good thing is the recovery period takes all of five seconds.

ATTQOTD:

A) My weekday runs are between 3-6 miles with an occasional longer run mixed in.
B) My long runs are between 10-18 miles. But I am about to embark on an ultra plan that will build me to 30 mile long runs.
C) My favorite race distance is probably the marathon to 50 miler. These distances involve what I am best at - continual forward motion. And avoid what I am worst at - speed!

My least favorite distance is the 5K. For all the reasons above.

QOTD: What is your favorite distance for a:
a. weekday run?
b. long run?
c. race?
(Bonus- least favorite race distance?)
ATTQOTD:
a) 6k-10k
b) 12k-15k
c) HM
d) It depends. Marathon in a way because it demands so much but it also gives access to some of the best races. Any distance where I push for time, the shorter, the worst because I am not a sprinter and I do not find they are worth going somewhere special, unless we do it as a family.

ATTQOTD:
a) 6 miles
b) 12-14 miles. Shorter and they don’t feel like a long run. Longer and they get to be a slog. Oddly, I find 10 miles to be the inflection point for me. The run is increasingly difficult up to 10 miles, but after that point, things seem to get easier.
c) Marathon. It’s a long enough distance that I feel like I’m really accomplishing something every time I complete one.

Least favorite is the 5k. Too speed-focused. I feel like I’m constantly sprinting and on the edge of something coming loose somewhere in my legs.

There are track sprinters and ultramarathon runners... and everything in between. So let's talk distance!

a. weekday run?
b. long run?
c. race?
A- 5K, approximately what I can squeeze in on my lunch hour or the time I can ditch my family during virtual school / work from home without feeling terrible.
b- 10K, a bit longer, not enough to leave me wiped out for the entire day
c- 10K not on a road or a half marathon. I'm never going to take the time for 13 miles without a race, there is just too much else to stuff into my day. A 10k needs to be more interesting than the roads I run on to make it worth my effort to show up.
Bonus- 5K. There is no reason for me to do this as a race unless it is with my kids. There is more time spent getting to the race and waiting around than actual running. I did have a 5K that used to start 2 blocks from my house and even that was irritating (also in early april so sketchy weather and all the potholes), so I only did it twice. Also, I am not fast by any stretch of the imagination, and have no delusions that I will get better because I just cannot care.

There are track sprinters and ultramarathon runners... and everything in between. So let's talk distance!

a. weekday run?
b. long run?
c. race?

A - When I get back up to it, 5k. Right now, with the way my back has been, 1 mile.
B - Ideally, 5-7 miles. Right now, 5k is a long run.
C - I really like 10k as a race length. Long enough to be work, short enough that it doesn't feel like it takes forever. I don't really have a least favorite, although I haven't gone beyond half-marathon length yet.

(Hi! It's been a while, what with quarantine weight gain and ashfall and my back deciding that it hated me.)

a. weekday run?
b. long run?
c. race?

ATTQOTD:
a. an hour, which is usually 5ish miles for me
b. 10 - 12 miles - double-digits feels like an accomplishment, and I am happy to not be totally wiped out by it
c. HM and longer - I don't race much, so I want my races to feel significant
d. 5k, for the feel-like-vomiting reason some others have mentioned

ATTQOTD:

A) My weekday runs are between 3-6 miles with an occasional longer run mixed in.
B) My long runs are between 10-18 miles. But I am about to embark on an ultra plan that will build me to 30 mile long runs.
C) My favorite race distance is probably the marathon to 50 miler. These distances involve what I am best at - continual forward motion. And avoid what I am worst at - speed!

My least favorite distance is the 5K. For all the reasons above.

How long is your planned ultra? Is your training plan from DopeyBadger or elsewhere? How long do you think your 30-miler will take?

a. weekday run?
b. long run?
c. race?

a) 2-4 miles
b) not more than 2 hours (right now that's about 8-9 miles)
c) 10K
Bonus- marathon. I hate distance.

ATTQOTD:

A) 90-120 min. These days that's usually a 21-25 mile bike followed by a 3.5-5 mile run.
B) For long runs, I like the 105-135 min zone. So that's 13.5-18 miles for me.
C) Marathon. Of the distances I've done thus far (mile through marathon), it seems to really hinge on good training and good strategy. The downside is you're limited on the number of max performance attempts per year.
D) 5k for all the reasons already listed.

ATTQOTD: What a great question! I was thinking about one aspect of this during my yoga this morning.....

a) 5-6 miles is a good weekday run. It's what I do when I'm not training. So anywhere from 48-60 minutes. Seems like 45 minutes is my baseline for considering something a workout.
b) Long run-- 8-10 miles. Again, that would be a non-training cycle long run. In minutes, my brain says 90 minutes is a long run.
c) This is a toughie. The older I get, the less I race, so they all feel daunting to me. 5-10 years ago I probably would have said the half. But right now, I might say 5k, if for no other reason than it's 25+ minutes of pure pain and then it's over.
d) Ah yes, least favorite race distance. This is what I was thinking about this morning. I have always said in yoga that Chair Pose is "the 10k of yoga poses"-- my least favorite to find peace/comfort. But today, I was really feeling okay with Chair Pose. However, 10k will reign supreme as my least favorite race--too far to just all out run, too short to go at a pace that feels sustainable.

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter