The Running Thread - 2021

Had a Valentine's Day 15k trail race in the snow. It was pretty much perfect winter trail conditions. In the 20s with very little wind chill, light snow the whole time, heavily used trails so the snow was packed down, and enough fresh snow over that packed snow to give you some grip.

There was even a bonus marriage proposal to go with the Valentine's theme.
Congratulations on the race!
Who is getting married?

A bit behind as I’m getting some R&R at AKL this week.
Give me 110 degrees any day, I hate the cold a little more every year. Managed 3.2 miles around the parking lot and between Jambo and Kidani with a temp of 74 and humidity at 96% 😊
That brings up a question, sometimes there are no good places at the resorts to run, what are some creative ways you get in the miles at Disney, or do you just say forget it, I’m on vacation?

A bit behind as I’m getting some R&R at AKL this week.
Give me 110 degrees any day, I hate the cold a little more every year. Managed 3.2 miles around the parking lot and between Jambo and Kidani with a temp of 74 and humidity at 96% 😊
That brings up a question, sometimes there are no good places at the resorts to run, what are some creative ways you get in the miles at Disney, or do you just say forget it, I’m on vacation?
I ran my virtual Goofy at Saratoga Springs last month. It really is a great resort for running. I started in the dark, so there were a couple paths not available (or lit) at that time, but I think I was able to put together an almost 5 mile loop including running around the Treehouse Villas area. For the marathon, once the sun came up, I took the path over to Old Key West and did one loop around that resort. I had been hoping to take the bridge across from Disney Springs off property, but the path was closed before I could get to the over-highway bridge until about an hour before Disney Springs opened.
I think several resorts have decent paths for running shorter routes, but I have heard AKL is not very runner friendly. In recent years, I’ve only been to Disney for races, so I really haven’t had the opportunity to just go for a training run while I’m there.

I hit a new age group last week. I celebrated 60 by running for 60 minutes and seeing how far I could get. I surprised myself: 7.22 miles. It wasn't quite an all-out effort, more like 85-90%.

View attachment 556844

Overall trend was negative splits:

View attachment 556843
Happy Birthday 🥳
Congratulations on your 60min... I sure hope to be in that sort of shape when I get to that venerable age!

@OldSlowGoofyGuy first happy belated birthday. Funny I was thinking about you when i was out running at lunch today. I waited till lunch thinking it would be warmer. Would have been better to run at 7 am. For those in the north go ahead and laugh but it was 25 with a real feel of 13 when i went out to run. It was so cold. David and I are not used to those kinds of temps.

ATTQOTD: Definitely cold for me. I hate running in the heat. I'm too hot over 60. This is a big reason I'll never run a fall marathon again.

I've run at almost all of the WDW resorts over the years - and, yep, I've done the AKL-AKV path-and-parking-lot route!

Most creative was probably the DIY WDW half when the race was canceled in 2017: I was staying at Wyndham Bonnet Creek with friends and we ran everything we could, including the length of Chelonia Pkwy, some of the Hilton/Waldorf golf courses, WBC's inner and outer loops, a short stint on the fitness center treadmills, and "character stops" at anything remotely interesting.

This makes me realize, I haven’t taken enough Disney trip since I started running 😆

Kidding aside, if it is a runDisney weekend, I do a short (2 miles top) run around the resort on arrival day. That usually coincides to the normal tapering (no time objectives on runDisney races for me) and allows me to get used to the local heat and humidity. I do walk a lot and tour the parks before the races.

For regular vacations, I usually tweak my plans before I leave home. I figure, we plan ADR, FP, etc so why not the training too?

I will fit in the big training runs before and after the park portions. For example, if we were at the beach before driving to the parks, I will run that morning.

We walk a lot on park days so I don’t worry about training. I will plan a run if we have off park days. I might also run if the family is sleeping and I am awake before them.

For those who are planning Dopey for the first time, this is what it looks like:

Question from a new treadmill owner:
(1) do you find your shoes last longer?
I have observed the shoes showing signs of needing to be retired on outdoor runs are not resulting in the same shin issues on the more cushy surface
(2) do you find your gait to be different on the machine?
while my shins are fine, my hips are not. The post-treadmill aches are similar to what I have encountered when ramping up distance, which I am not. My average pace is similar to outdoor runs, the incline of my normal route is more severe (but alternating) than the TM incline, so the other thing I can think of is gait. My hope is if I can determine why I can fix it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter