The Running Thread - 2020

You have nailed my dilemma perfectly. I liked the idea of the Apple Watch with cellular because it will do my RunKeeper app that I have loved since I began running. It will do my music and podcasts and allow me to get rid of my phone on runs. It does all the stuff I want, but for exercising it might not do it all well as the Garmin. I won’t wear it all day. I don’t like watches so there is no way I’ll use it all day, and the last thing I want is to buy two. So do I go with AW and no second device needed or do I go with the Garmin and still need my phone. What’s worse is normally I would go try them on and see which feels better but clearly I’m not going to any stores just to try something on right now.

I appreciate all the help.

If you are looking to keep all your fitness data in Runkeeper you can sync Garmin activities into that application. I don't use Runkeeper personally but I sync Garmin Connect with Strava, SportTracks, and Training Peeks myself. It is pretty seamless, especially if you install the apps on the same phone.

View attachment 490627

It’s been a while since we’ve had the great oatmeal raisin debate, but I always think of this group when it comes up.

(and let it be known that I still like oatmeal raisin cookies and loathe bananas ;) )

I love oatmeal raisin cookies!

If you are looking to keep all your fitness data in Runkeeper you can sync Garmin activities into that application. I don't use Runkeeper personally but I sync Garmin Connect with Strava, SportTracks, and Training Peeks myself. It is pretty seamless, especially if you install the apps on the same phone.

That’s good to know. I was getting closer to making a decision and then I found out Polar just released a new watch a couple of days ago called the Grit X. It got a great review from DC Rainmaker.

With warm weather (and a conscious effort to shorten my stride), I continue to have great runs. Saturday was an easy 3 miles and I came back feeling great and like I could have kept going even though I'd adjusted my intervals down from 50 seconds walking to 45. Felt very tempted to immediately adjust again, but next weekend's run will be a bit longer again so I'm going to hold off and see how I feel about it at a longer distance.

Question (slightly gross):
For those who carry their phones in a pocket in their running outfit, how do you prevent it from being destroyed by your sweat? I have fallen in love with my skirt from Skirt Sports and its three (three!!) pockets, and I am very happy to ditch the armband for my phone and carry it in a leg pocket instead. So far I've just kept it turned with the back of the case against my leg to minimize moisture transfer, but I think as I get out on longer runs that's not going to cut it. Do I just put the phone in a ziplock bag?? I hate to because it adds bulk, but maybe I just need to find a ziplock size closer to the size of my phone. Any other ideas? Thankfully I no longer need to run a headphone cord from the phone, as I've gone to wearing Aftershokz and it's all bluetooth. Don't even have to get the phone out to pause the music.

and this recipe is great--although it substitutes dried cranberries for raisins.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/easy-one-bowl-oatmeal-cookies-recipe.html
Mmm, oatmeal craisin cookies used to be my go-to potluck dessert. I like them better than with regular raisins; the contrast between the mellow oatmeal and the tangy cranberry is the best. Haven't made them in years; I should revisit that....

Do I just put the phone in a ziplock bag?? I hate to because it adds bulk, but maybe I just need to find a ziplock size closer to the size of my phone.
Usually when I'm out for a run I just stream music from my Garmin to my Aftershokz and don't carry my phone. For long sweaty runs when I have a phone (old school iphone 5SE) I take it out of the case and put it in a snack size ziplock along with my key fob if I drove that day.

For those who carry their phones in a pocket in their running outfit, how do you prevent it from being destroyed by your sweat? I have fallen in love with my skirt from Skirt Sports and its three (three!!) pockets, and I am very happy to ditch the armband for my phone and carry it in a leg pocket instead. So far I've just kept it turned with the back of the case against my leg to minimize moisture transfer, but I think as I get out on longer runs that's not going to cut it. Do I just put the phone in a ziplock bag?? I hate to because it adds bulk, but maybe I just need to find a ziplock size closer to the size of my phone. Any other ideas? Thankfully I no longer need to run a headphone cord from the phone, as I've gone to wearing Aftershokz and it's all bluetooth. Don't even have to get the phone out to pause the music.

I rarely run with a phone, basically only if I'm doing a trail run that will be remote. When I do it put my phone in a ziplock bag and then Spibelt. So far it has worked and some of those runs are muddy messes in addition to sweaty.

Little behind but I agree with @camaker on Garmin vs. Apple Watch. I have the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular (had the original before this one). I live my Apple Watch as a smart watch. I have a hand me down Garmin 220. I use it only for running and nothing else. The battery is starting to struggle a bit so it may not last too much longer. The Garmin is definitely better for running/training than the Apple Watch. I run with my phone for music/podcasts and the Garmin to track the run. I wear the Apple Watch the rest of the day.

For those who carry their phones in a pocket in their running outfit, how do you prevent it from being destroyed by your sweat? I have fallen in love with my skirt from Skirt Sports and its three (three!!) pockets, and I am very happy to ditch the armband for my phone and carry it in a leg pocket instead. So far I've just kept it turned with the back of the case against my leg to minimize moisture transfer, but I think as I get out on longer runs that's not going to cut it. Do I just put the phone in a ziplock bag??
I use a different case for my phone when I run. It has a flip cover and is all washable. The brand I have is Baseus Touchable Case, bought on eBay. I keep one in the gym bag at work and one at home. I like that it could, maybe, save my screen if I was falling with it. Since this is runDisney, I should point out that the CM have been able to deal with the flip when taking pictures.

For those who carry their phones in a pocket in their running outfit, how do you prevent it from being destroyed by your sweat? I have fallen in love with my skirt from Skirt Sports and its three (three!!) pockets, and I am very happy to ditch the armband for my phone and carry it in a leg pocket instead. So far I've just kept it turned with the back of the case against my leg to minimize moisture transfer, but I think as I get out on longer runs that's not going to cut it. Do I just put the phone in a ziplock bag??
Yep, zipper baggie. I have an iPhone 6 still and it's a wee bit too big for a snack bag with its case and headphone jack, so I use a sandwich size bag. Squeeze out air and fold it over - fits perfectly in my Skirt Sports pockets! Works great in the rain, too.

Yep, zipper baggie. I have an iPhone 6 still and it's a wee bit too big for a snack bag with its case and headphone jack, so I use a sandwich size bag. Squeeze out air and fold it over - fits perfectly in my Skirt Sports pockets! Works great in the rain, too.
Experimentation shows that my iPhone X fits in a snack baggie with its case on, but it's a very tight fit and difficult to get it in and out--so I think it'll be a sandwich bag.
I have never put my phone in a ziplock in my pocket and I have never had an issue with sweat damaging my phone. But I guess I will knock on some wood right now.....
I haven't had any sweat damage to this phone or its predecessor, but I've heard of it happening and I can't really afford a replacement if I mess it up. I just noticed after my three mile run that the patch of skin under that pocket was pretty sweaty--having the phone there traps it.

The "how to protect your phone from sweat/rain" is always fun for figuring out who lives in FL vs. who doesn't, lol! As a Floridian, my phone goes in a baggie about 90% of my runs. 1. because it's hot enough most of the year that my clothes - including pockets where phone goes - get soaking wet with sweat, not just a little damp, and 2. because for most of the year there is always a chance of spontaneous rain.

@YawningDodo I have carried my phone in a SPI belt for years and never had sweat or humidity damage. Then, one day this past fall, I was in the gym on the bike and decided to take a call by putting the phone up to my ear instead of using my headphones. The person on the other end was talking for a good half hour and I was sweating profusely. (Don't worry gym goers, it was mostly a one-sided conversation so I wasn't one of those people that sits on the bike next to you and chats away) Since then the "ear" part of my phone, to hear out of if you hold the phone to your ear, is super-quiet. I have to use headphones or put it on speaker to talk on the phone now. So you're right to be worried about it depending on how humid your phone can get.

I have never put my phone in a ziplock in my pocket and I have never had an issue with sweat damaging my phone. But I guess I will knock on some wood right now.....

Me neither, and considering the heat/humidity here in Georgia and that I keep it in my Flipbelt for all distances up to a marathon I guess I have been lucky...I never even thought about it. I always just wipe it off when I am finished running.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter