The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: I've been strength training for about 20 years (I'm 45). I started that way before I got into running (about 6 years ago) or tennis (about 12 years ago). I think that strength training is really important for keeping up bone density and mobility as we get older, and an early start is good. :) I have seen my parents and my FIL start to have a lot of problems in their 60s and 70s that could have been mitigated a lot with some strength training, so it is good motivation.

I do my strength training at home, so over time, I've built up a range of dumbbell weights and other equipment. For most of the time that I have been strength training, I followed various DVD programs, because I didn't feel qualified to know the "right" exercises to do and to mimic good form. So following the programs, I've done between 3 - 5 days/wk of strength training. I mostly did Beachbody programs, so I've been through P90X, P90X+, P90X2, P90X3, BodyBeast, HardCorps, Hammer and Chisel, and cardio-based ones like Insanity and Asylum. (I feel like I'm forgetting some programs.) I tend to stay away from the programs marketed toward women (although I am one) because I usually don't like the attitude and presentation as much.

In the last 2 - 3 years, I've recognized that I need to focus more on "prehab" for various problem areas in running and tennis, and so time limitations have caused me to alter my overall approach. I generally do strength on weekday mornings (and tennis or running in the afternoon/evening). I have been doing a prehab routine focused on tennis/running issues on Mon/Fri, a total-body strength routine on Tue/Thu with fairly heavy weights and a core/plyo routine on Wed. Also, as time allows, I follow this with foam rolling and stretching focused on my legs, since I have never had much flexibility and my IT band tends to get tight. If you are interested, I detail my strength routines on my training journal at this site ("avondale training journal") and I would be happy to chat about it.

ATTQOTD: I take Pure Barre classes about 4 times a week. The hand weights are light, but it incorporates a lot of body weight exercises. We do have a home gym with heavier weights and I do a HIIT style workout only about once a week at home.

ATTQOTD: I was trying to do this more often. But right down I only have time to run and stretch so I have made that a priority. I am hoping to add in more strength training in the future.

@dis_or_dat Congratulations on the BQ in your first marathon! That is amazing!

March totals:
Total distance - 189.9 miles
Total time - 36:44
Total elevation - 30,154 ft (can that be correct? I know I deliberately chose hilly routes but that seems high)

That is the most miles I've ever run in a single month as my training plan ramped up for my 50 miler next month (next month? :crazy2:)
It also appears that I have a shot at breaking 1,000 miles this year without too much trouble, something I never even considered a possibility.

Ascent or ascent and decent?

Question - maybe for @DopeyBadger - and I am truly asking for a friend lol. My friend is signing up for the 2020 Disney marathon. It is his first marathon ever. He is strictly a walker. However, he is a bit unique because he walks at just under a 12 minute per mile pace. It is really insane as I went out walking with him once and had to jog to keep up with him. He also said he can't run at all due to his bad back. And that he has to walk at least 3-4 miles every day. If he doesn't, his back stiffens up later in the day. So, I want to give him advice about training but I am not sure if the same principles of run training apply to walking. His longest walk to date has been about 7 miles. So he knows he has to train to be ready for 26. Any advice how to approach training? Is it the same as running?

From the perspective of someone who is slower than your friend (I am a 14-15 minute miler), a lot of the same principles apply. Get fitted for good shoes. Stick with your training program (and be honest with yourself and your coach). Mentally prepare yourself for those last 6 miles. Have a steady source of fuel with you.

Most of my DopeyBadger training weeks were 7-8 hours in duration and about 30 miles a week, with two weeks higher for both miles and time. Days were typically 60-90 minutes with a few closer to 120 minutes. Yes, there were some rough weeks, and I know that I was on the higher end of what he typically writes, but it worked with how my body becomes comfortable with distances.

Something your friend has in common with me - thinking of ourselves as walkers when in actuality we are runners. We just do it differently and in a way that we have found causes less stress on our bodies.

ATTQOTD: I ~try~ to do strength training at least 3-4 times a week. Nothing crazy, mostly body weight stuff. But my office building has a little gym space set up that is perfect for that so I try to go during my lunch break. The past 2 weeks I have done some yoga at home, too. I know it is good for me but like anything good for me I use it sparingly (except running, haha).

@dis_or_dat I'm super impressed with your marathon time anyway but in addition to nursing I'm really amazed. I am nursing my 6 month old and I'm a little hesitant to run longer distances (>6 miles-ish) because of supply reasons. I've nursed all my babies for a year and that's my goal for her too. How did you keep your supply up?

I’m lucky that I work part time. I was able to nurse my first through 2.5 years (which is crazy, I know!). My work also blocks out pumping time, but I find it harder and harder to actually have time to pump because the scheduling goes over or late and eats into my blocked time.

When the baby was younger, I would try to time my longer runs between feeds. I had issues with sports bras causing blocked ducts, but figured out a fix. I also stay super super hydrated throughout the day, make sure I’m getting enough calories, and still take my prenatal vitamins. I was bad about taking them for a month while I was dealing with bronchitis and I think that may have played a factor in cracking my ribs.

Nursing and running with a 6 month old is tough, but I know you can do it!

QOTD: Strength training, do you do it? If so how often and what kind?

2-3x per week with light weights. Mostly focus on core strength.

This has been a frustrating few months due to multiple illnesses. After two years without incident I have had a sinus infection (November); high fever/flu (marathon weekend); two week cold/high fever (February) and cold (last week.) I have had short bursts of high intensity training but am far behind. Sprint tri and 5k x2 in March were pushed. This Sunday I run a sprint tri in Myrtle Beach. Last year (same weekend) I did the Cooper River Bridge Run on Saturday and the tri on Sunday. Just not up for that this year.

In any event, I needed to complain. Hopefully this week will go well and I can get back into regular training. We head to Italy for two weeks in May for our 25th anniversary so my spring is questionable on the racing front.

Happy to see so many success stories.

Ascent or ascent and decent?

It has to be both ascent and decent. I like in a hilly area but it's not like I run in the mountains. I was just doing a google search to see how RunKeeper calculates elevation and the first thing that pops up are peoples complaints of inaccuracies.... So i will take my elevation figures with a grain of salt.

It has to be both ascent and decent. I like in a hilly area but it's not like I run in the mountains. I was just doing a google search to see how RunKeeper calculates elevation and the first thing that pops up are peoples complaints of inaccuracies.... So i will take my elevation figures with a grain of salt.
I mean it’s totally doable. I’ve looked at it versus both the time and distance ran, and it’s achievable.

QOTD: Strength training, do you do it? If so how often and what kind?

ATTQOTD: Today I plan to just get a run in and hopefully move into a full routine in the coming weeks that will include strength training. I have a long ways to go now lol.

I don't do any and I need to. I plan to start now so when I am back to running I will be overall in much better shape.

ATTQOTD: I did strength type runs about once a week. In terms of crosstraining/weight training, I did highly abbreviated work outs (core work / legs) whenever I could squeeze it in, tried for at least 3 times a week.

March totals:

Miles: 214.23
Avg pace: 8:57

@girliea - haha! I nursed at the finish line of my 10k. As in, I crossed the line, stopped my watch, and my DH handed over baby dis_or_dat. I was sweating all over the poor guy. I know elites will pump in their tent before a race and I brought my pump in case, but was happy I didn't have to run "full" :p

@Waiting2goback sorry about the ankle, but congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

I'm going to pass on the strength training question... it's like eating kale... things that are good for me, but don't do.

@Waiting2goback Sorry to hear about your ankle, bummer! Congrats on the upcoming wedding! And can you pack me in your suitcase for your Disney trips?

@LSUlakes How was the daddy/daughter trip? Hope you had a blast!

Thanks everyone. I am logically understanding it is OK to take this break but deep down I am bummed.

@Waiting2goback congrats on the upcoming wedding! Sorry to hear about the pain but it sounds like you've got a good plan to keep up fitness going forward while you're waiting for the surgery.

I try to strength train 2x per week. But when things get tight on the schedule that's the first thing that gets dropped. Ideally, one day per week would be body pump class at the gym and the second day would be strength training with dumb bells at home plus a yoga video.

You’re my hero!! I need to get on sticking to a running plan AND no beer. Struggle is REAL y’all. What works for you Jenna?? @jennamfeo
Honestly this was allllll willpower. Just saying no and meaning it. When I went out I ordered soda water with lime. My house is full of booze and sweets at all times, so temptation was there. I just had to remind myself why I was challenging myself and how bad I wanted to succeed.

ATTQOTD: I’m a big believer in strength training! I personally do a little bit everyday, and I tailor everything to my work load. When I’m training my hardest, I typically do harder workouts with weights/bands 2-3 days/week. Also, I do some PT type stuff after runs and in the evening too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter